• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better Song?

• Open Your Heart

• Live and Learn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up on the two Sonic Adventure games these two themes are basically etched in my head.

They're not what I consider good songs exactly, but they evoke a ton of nostalgia as well so they pop into my head every now and then.

If you haven't listened to them:
Sonic Adventure's main theme, Open Your Heart

Sonic Adventure 2's main them, Live and Learn

I like both but in their own ways. There's a certain momentum to Open Your Heart that makes it really listenable and it goes really well with Sonic Adventure's opening movie and final boss. It's a blood pumping, high energy song but doesn't have an incredibly strong hook and chorus, at least compared to its successor. It's definitely more in-line with other kinds of late 90s rock.

On the other hand, I suspect Live and Learn is way more iconic to more people. The rift and chorus are much more catchy so it's incredibly recognizable, but it's also way more cheesy and over the top. There's a lot of wailing and guitar solos that it almost sounds like a Van Halen song for kids. So it's basically a toss up between a more subdued but also a more fitting song and a catchy but incredibly cheesy song.

What do you think? Which one is better?

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If you won't stop, there will be no future for us!

They're both great, but much like almost anything else about the games, Open your Heart/Sonic Adventure is just better.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would waffle back and forth on this back in the day, but Sonic Adventure 2 is my first proper Sonic game and definitely the one that gives me the greatest sense of nostalgia... so I'll go with Live And Learn. It's really just the ultimate "fuck yeah!" song.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pumpkin Hill

EDIT: But if it's between the two, Live and Learn. Catchy rift that works really well for the end of the game, too.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Live & Learn is the better of the two choices presented, but the correct answer is City Escape.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Open Your Heart, no doubt. I just totally dig the riff and lyrics more than Live and Learn. I feel like I'm super into it for the first few seconds but once the lyrics come in I just zone out.

Both are infinitely better than Seven Rings In Hand

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Like with the games, Open Your Heart mops the floor with Live and Learn.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I've gone back and forth on this forever, but I think I like Live and Learn a little better. I do like Chaos way more than the Biolizard though, but who doesn't?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Endless Possibilities or City Escape. Live and Learn if I can't find one of those for some strange reason.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
That's like asking me to pick between a favorite child, god. Impossible choice. Both are amazing.

I suppose I'll go with Open Your Heart, but only by a hair.

Dreams of an Absolution is the best Sonic vocal song ever, though. Reach for the Stars is really up there too.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Both are pretty good, but Open Your Heart is the winner to me. I enjoyed it more as a final boss theme and it fit better.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also thanks for making me think to check and Crush 40's the ultimate collection driving through forever is now on Apple Music which has a bunch of sonic themes on it(despite Sega not putting the actual sonic osts on there)

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Live & Learn, without question. Though, the Bentley Jones remix of Open Your Heart is pretty good.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
That sonic adventure 1 intro will never not be burned into my memory from seeing it thru demo discs and walmart kiosks and then eventually my lucky ass cousin got a dreamcast and I got to play the demo on there so yeah open your heart lol.