• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is there a better video game movie fight than this?

• No

• Yes (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
There is ONE fight I believe is superior... and it's from the Street Fighter II: Animated Movie.

Chun-li vs Vega.
1j6UiMR.gif

Pizf.gif

BVMgzXf.gif

35908bc4ca009c626f401080ec9b4166.gif

tumblr_oydspqgOWd1u2ragso2_500.gifv

This whole fight is a ruthless ballet of violence.
I agree with this.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I loved this movie as a kid, but now I have questions. Why did Johnny Cage ghost Liu Kang in this scene?

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this movie as a kid, but now I have questions. Why did Johnny Cage ghost Liu Kang in this scene?
Real world answer: This fight was added late in production after focus groups said there were too few fights in the film. The Johnny Cage actor was unavailable for reshoots.

In-universe answer: I think Johnny was fighting his own goon outside the building while Liu Kang was busy with Reptile inside.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
That's not even the best fight in the movie. Johnny Cage vs Goro is way better. 🤣

What!? Stop eating all that fermented honey Winny you're high.

Easily best fight of any game movie ever. When the voice over says Reptile in sync with the music kicking in omg hypest shit ever. Me and my brother would watch that fight over and over and feel like we had just taken a hit of meth

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Real world answer: This fight was added late in production after focus groups said there were too few fights in the film. The Johnny Cage actor was unavailable for reshoots.

In-universe answer: I think Johnny was fighting his own goon outside the building while Liu Kang was busy with Reptile inside.
Well that clears it up lol

Also Cage vs Scorpion is maybe a bit better cause I mean... they go to netherrealm and everything.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Too bad about the male gaze and pantyshots.
I'm gonna take a moment quote an old analysis I did of this scene, which was actually a defense of this scene in comparison to other animes that rely on this trope:

I showed the movie to my VERY feminist friend, who often rolls her eyes as gratuitous, pointless fanservice... and she was more than okay with the whole thing and her explanation why made a lot of sense to me.

SO many fighting game anime adaptations had gratuitous, legitimately pointless shower scenes that served absolutely no purpose: Battle Arena Toshinden, Fatal Fury, Tekken, etc. They were just "there" with the hot girl without her clothes exclusively and entirely for the fanservice, halting the story, pacing, and even tone of the movies to shoehorn the scene in.

But Street Fighter II, she reasoned, served an actual point, because it was showcasing Chun-li just prior to an attempted assassination, at her most vulnerable and exposed (literally and figuratively). It wasn't just "there" and the scene isn't just titillating; it's a CREEPY scene, one spliced in with footage of a murderous psychopath breaking into her home, violating her security and privacy, and spying on her like a hunter stalking his prey. It's very similar to a certain very famous horror scene in "Psycho".

And it's paced like a Hitchcock thriller too. The scene isn't just there and over with... it's slow and drawn out. It builds. The POV of the killer slowly creeping from room to room. The scene of Guile trying to contact her but getting no response. Shots of her assailant getting into position, finding the perfect moment and angle to strike... Everything is building towards a horrific and untimely end for our heroine, following the thriller tropes perfectly as the vulnerable and beautiful girl is entirely unaware of the blade-wielding psychopath peaking in on her in the shower and hiding in her very bedroom. He is, by most definitions, a masked slasher villain getting ready to pick off the girl in the bedroom, a cliche that was incredibly predictable and well-worn already.

And that's what my friend (and I) love about the scene so much. It averts the trope HARD. Rather than a quick and clean kill, the prey demonstrates herself to be MORE than capable of viciously fighting back on even footing. No running away. No chase sequence. Guile actually becomes the "male hero" who hears she's in trouble and races to "save" her, but in the actual encounter, she is spilling blood for blood and making every hit an eye for an eye.

While Vega starts off the fight every bit the indestructible masked serial killer (initially shrugging off attacks and laughing at her attempts to strike back), his unshakable bravado starts to crumble the longer the fight goes on, the harder he has to work for every hit, how her blows start wearing him down, how she begins to get under his skin and not just out-fight him but also out-think him and he soon finds himself a few steps behind her. We see the gradual loss of his advantage and control.

When she was in the shower and in the bedroom, all the cards where in his hands. He had all the advantage. He had all the power (even, if you wish to read into it, the power of "male gaze" to look at Chun-li from his POV as "just fanservice" to ogle and savor before the kill). By the end of the fight, he's been stripped of his power and advantage. Even with everything supposedly in his favor, he gets absolutely wrecked.

And all that build-up, all that dehumanizing and predator-esque behavior prior to it (calling her just a "cute little bunny" sums up his opinion of her, I think), made Chun-li's ultimate victory not just the ending of one of the best fights in movie history - animated or otherwise - but a very dramatic climax to a supremely well-paced, well-shot power-play between the two individuals that played into, and then defied, the tropes it exploited and deconstructed.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
There is ONE fight I believe is superior... and it's from the Street Fighter II: Animated Movie.

Chun-li vs Vega.
1j6UiMR.gif

Pizf.gif

BVMgzXf.gif

I love you so much for this. You just teleported me back to being a kid when we had to buy the Street Fighter series all on VHS the movie was the creme de la creme. My favorite fight in SF was just the scene where Ryu headbutts the guy into a coma

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm gonna take a moment quote an old analysis I did of this scene, which was actually a defense of this scene in comparison to other animes that rely on this trope:
Just because there's a lot of bad objectification in fighting games and movies, and one example where the woman fights back when she's half naked, it isn't that subversive. The pantyshots are unnecessary. Plenty of half naked women getting attacked in horror. You don't see men at their most vulnerable stalked and attacked like this as often, that's just the uncomfortable truth.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017

Chun-li vs Vega.
1j6UiMR.gif

Pizf.gif

BVMgzXf.gif

Yeah, although I'd go further and say there are several fight in this film that are better than the Reptile fight in MK.

I mean, I like the first MK movie, but it's not exactly a high bar.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone needs to read the Hollywood Reporter article on the production of the movie. Literally EVERYONE thought this movie was going to fail.

Except it didn't, and it was surprisingly AWESOME.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Cage is the MVP of Mortal Kombat, and Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion is the best fight in the movie.

He's the best playing, most fun, most iconic (fight me), and is the best part of that movie.

He was also one of VGCW's biggest rising star. That fucking entrance.

But yeah, Johnny Cage vs Scorpion was the best fight in the movie. "GET DOWN THERE!"

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Watching it again now, I really like how informed by the game's visuals the set here is. There's a shot around the 3 minute mark that is framed almost exactly like that MK2 stage with the sky in the background, except darker.

Dang, I guess I love this flick.
It's my favorite location in the entire movie. I love watching this fight if only to look at the background the entire time.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. The music is so hype I feel like going for a sprint when I see Reptile jogging through the hole in the wall to the beat. Always gets me pumped.

Runner up for music integration is Sub Zero turning to face the camera as the bass starts
JitteryLastGuanaco-size_restricted.gif

Kano vs Sonya has the best pre-fight intro. I feel like this influenced Mortal Kombat and a lot fighting games after as far as pre-fight stuff goes.

Hey babe, did you miss me? muu-uh

Kano is just perfect in the movie however they really did him dirty since it is very clear the actress can't fight for shit.
iirc they based Kano off his portrayal in this movie in the next games

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They broke a rib during that fight.

The fight wasn't even supposed to be in the movie. They added it after the first cut because they wanted more fight scenes. Robin Shou directed this fight, he really wanted to try and bring wuxia wirework into american Hollywood film. This fight scene is, no joke, ground breaking, and paved the way for stuff like The Matrix.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but this fight has pretty good and brutal moves in comparison with the other fights in the movie. The song is awesome also.

And how i can forget the....."Reptile" *Techno music starts
The last time I watched this film (last year?) I remember thinking at the time how much more savage that fight seems than the others.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just speaking of this movie, I thought that the Scorpion Vs Johnny Cage 2 fight was the best.

It's topped off by having Fear Factory's "Zero Signal" as the soundtrack🤘

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just because there's a lot of bad objectification in fighting games and movies, and one example where the woman fights back when she's half naked, it isn't that subversive. The pantyshots are unnecessary. Plenty of half naked women getting attacked in horror. You don't see men at their most vulnerable stalked and attacked like this as often, that's just the uncomfortable truth.
An example that challenges and subverts the trope and alters the power dynamic that is at play in 99.9% of other fanservice animes is a subversion. And even the "half-naked" and "panty" shots aren't stuff played for titillation, humor, or normal anime girl tropes, largely because the film goes out of its way to make the experience of her fighting and bleeding for her life very UN-sexy. This is a fight that is literally KILLING her.
072.jpg

qw6.jpg

065.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

So, yeah, she starts off all fan-service-y (again, through a literal killer's POV and voyeuristic gaze) and as the fight progresses, her "sexy" appearance is covered in blood, bruises, and pain. By the end of the fight, she's bleeding out, barely able to keep from passing out. It's a fight that leaves her hospitalized for the remainder of her film, undergoing life-saving surgeries, and induced into a coma to save her life, breathing through tubes and stitched back up.

There is a very clear and deliberate dissonance between her attire and presentation versus the actual fight and the consequences of it.

The only people who should be finding Chun-li's situation "sexy" at this point are probably the people who really enjoy films like Hostel and SAW. Not saying having her fight in her night clothes was 100% necessary, but the way the film utilizes it is deliberate in setting up a trope that ultimately goes horribly wrong.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kano is just perfect in the movie however they really did him dirty since it is very clear the actress can't fight for shit.
iirc they based Kano off his portrayal in this movie in the next games

Kano was originally from Turkey before the movie, and was of Japanese-American descent with eastern facial features. After the movie, he was officially changed to Australian, and his facial features are based off of the actor from the movie.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kano was originally from Turkey before the movie, and was of Japanese-American descent with eastern facial features. After the movie, he was officially changed to Australian, and his facial features are based off of the actor from the movie.
Also, the production company originally suggested Danny Glover for the Raiden role lol

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The announcer saying REPTILE as soon as the character came to life was the hypest shit ever so the fight wins on that alone for me.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't top Johnny Cage vs Scorpion but I was surprised how badass the reptile fight was.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I'm a Reptile main and obsessed with this movie, but best fight is Cage vs Scorpion. When Scorpion reveals his skull it's nuts

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The location and music in the Reptile fight is heaps better than Scorpion v Johnny.
I can agree with this. The Scorpion fight is just barely ahead of the Reptile fight to me, and the reason why it's so close is the music and locale of the Reptile fight. The fight itself is just a bit too short for me though, which is why the Scorpion one edges ahead.