• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
tldr: stick to Pokemon, Gamefreak
This was made by such a small team that it's really not reflective of what they could actually do with their full sized A teams. And considering people completely lost their minds because they dared even use some people to make this game instead of Pokémon, that will never happen

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
A user review on Metacritic:

I may sound harsh, but I'm here to tell the honest truth:

Game Freak should've put more focus on Pokémon Sword/Shield instead of prioritizing this game this year. Sure, the game does look cute and charming, but GF should've used the same resources for it to polish up the graphics in Sword/Shield. I swear, it's like how Gearbox took all the important resources from Aliens: Colonial Marines in favor of Borderlands 2.

All and all, don't waste your time on this game.

Sep 14, 2019
That UI looks awful. Like a complete cluttered mess of ideas.

This game's concept is great though. The idea of battling monsters, then switching positions strategically mid-battle to allied neighbors in a town on a grid for advantageous benefits, and trying to find the culprit who's releasing the monsters in the Town .. it all sounds so great.

If I understand correctly, the character "battles" with ideas as their weapon, right? Isn't Ni No Kuni similar in that regard? Or am I wrong?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That's absolutely accurate. Ideas/actions are dealt to you like cards.

Cool, thanks for clarifying. So is there deck building in some capacity?

It seems like one of the frustrations you had was not having the points to play cards, but in a typical card game you're trying to compose your deck in a way that its probabilities will work at different stages of your energy/mana pool (or whatever you want to call it). It's pretty easy to run into that problem in many card games if you don't plan the deck right.

I know some people expected this game to be another RPG, considering the developer, but it seems like their intention was to make a card game with more of an immersive feel to it (directly confronting monsters, not bumping cards on a table). Comparing it to an RPG obscures a lot of the gameplay details for someone who enjoys card games, IMO. I haven't looked at all the reviews yet, but many of them haven't talked about those details at all.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I've only beaten the first boss at the end of chapter 1 but I quite like it. I could see how the battles might get a bit long but it requires a lot of thought in planning your turns so I absolutely reccomend it based on what I've played so far. Some stuttering here and there but otherwise it looks great and the music is really superb.

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, thanks for clarifying. So is there deck building in some capacity?

It seems like one of the frustrations you had was not having the points to play cards, but in a typical card game you're trying to compose your deck in a way that its probabilities will work at different stages of your energy/mana pool (or whatever you want to call it). It's pretty easy to run into that problem in many card games if you don't plan the deck right.

Not Steve, so sorry for that.

To answer your question, no. There is no deck building. All of the character abilities are present with you from the beginning of the game. The first round of abilities dealt to you *I think* is less random than any other time that you're dealt abilities. I never got a set of abilities where no moves could be taken, at least.

There are situations where you can get temporary abilities that are more for later in the battle. You can also swap out an ability for Battle Points, but those are really only an option from Turn 2 forward.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Not Steve, so sorry for that.

To answer your question, no. There is no deck building. All of the character abilities are present with you from the beginning of the game. The first round of abilities dealt to you *I think* is less random than any other time that you're dealt abilities. I never got a set of abilities where no moves could be taken, at least.

There are situations where you can get temporary abilities that are more for later in the battle. You can also swap out an ability for Battle Points, but those are really only an option from Turn 2 forward.

Ah, gotcha.

I would give the game a shot at 15 or maybe 20. I actually loved Pocket Card Jockey. But 25 is a little steep, and that's me being inclined to like the game as a weird little card game experience.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was about a town simulator or a "create a town" game with some combat

i was wrong then

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, these reviews are all over the place. I am interested, but I am going to wait for a sale.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yeah. That's absolutely accurate. Ideas/actions are dealt to you like cards.
What do you think of Slay the Spire, so I have a perspective for your review?
It currently has a MC of 73 based on 10 reviews.

GameFreak past non-Pokémon games:

Drill Dozer (2006) 81
HarmoKnight (2013) 73
Tembo the Badass Elephant (2015) 72
Pocket Card Jockey (2016) 83
Giga Wrecker (2016) 75
Giga Wrecker Alt. (2019) 67
Isn't Alt just a remake of Giga Wrecker? How did it get worse reviews?

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the fact that reviews are all over the map is indicative of how much Game Freak experiments with their non-Pokemon titles -- and that's something I greatly appreciate. This game looks absolutely gorgeous in videos, and I'm hearing a lot of things I like (namely, the music, the card-game-like attributes and the notion of a more compact RPG).

Personally, the reviews that describe the difficulty as "vindictive" or "antagonistic" are giving me hesitation cause I just ain't into that sort of challenge, but I'm glad Game Freak is putting out this sort of interesting work. I'll never understand the bile this company attracts from enthusiast circles.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Wowza. Wild range of opinions on this one! We'll add to the discussion with our review in the next NF issue.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I would honestly go so far as to call GF a bad dev.
They hit gold with the Pokemon game formula, but they seem to have difficulties changing it in anyway without making it worse, which is probably why it's so stagnant.

Oct 26, 2017
I would honestly go so far as to call GF a bad dev.
They hit gold with the Pokemon game formula, but they seem to have difficulties changing it in anyway without making it worse, which is probably why it's so stagnant.

Satoshi Tajiri is the true genius of Game Freak, as he is the father of the franchise. Problem is, after 2003 he sort of retired to being nothing more than an Executive Producer which frankly I'm not sure what that entails. I assume he just signs off just about anything and calls it a day?

Junichi Masuda is the head of Game Freak and I assume so since 2003/4? Wouldn't Satoshi have been the head during the prior period? Either way, it feels to me that once Satoshi let Masuda run the place, it kind of made things... not so good. I'm very confident that had Satoshi been in the director's chair and still ultimate head of Game Freak, they'd be MUCH better off. I guess maybe he wanted to quit while he was ahead, but it still feels like he should've taken a FAR more active role in nurturing and innovating Pokemon and GF as a whole. He could've taken charge of every main gen game with Masuda and the rest being in charge of the remakes and enhanced versions. Satoshi could also make a new IP every couple of gens to keep things fresh.

I'll never understand why Game Freak just sort of, well, devolved.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this has been said, but I had no idea this was even coming out this year. Seems like I've heard so little about it.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Satoshi Tajiri is the true genius of Game Freak, as he is the father of the franchise. Problem is, after 2003 he sort of retired to being nothing more than an Executive Producer which frankly I'm not sure what that entails. I assume he just signs off just about anything and calls it a day?

Junichi Masuda is the head of Game Freak and I assume so since 2003/4? Wouldn't Satoshi have been the head during the prior period? Either way, it feels to me that once Satoshi let Masuda run the place, it kind of made things... not so good. I'm very confident that had Satoshi been in the director's chair and still ultimate head of Game Freak, they'd be MUCH better off. I guess maybe he wanted to quit while he was ahead, but it still feels like he should've taken a FAR more active role in nurturing and innovating Pokemon and GF as a whole. He could've taken charge of every main gen game with Masuda and the rest being in charge of the remakes and enhanced versions. Satoshi could also make a new IP every couple of gens to keep things fresh.

Masuda is not the head of Game Freak, he was the main Pokémon director and currently main Pokémon producer, he assumed the director position during GS when the project was stopped and needed overhauling.

I don't understand how things would be any different considering Tajiri is still the president of the company and he has to sign off on any decision they make.

Oct 26, 2017
Masuda is not the head of Game Freak, he was the main Pokémon director and currently main Pokémon producer, he assumed the director position during GS when the project was stopped and needed overhauling.

I don't understand how things would be any different considering Tajiri is still the president of the company and he has to sign off on any decision they make.

Hmm, checking again, you may be right. Masuda is credited as Director of Ruby:

How odd. Hmm...

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
With so many games coming out including GameFreak's new Pokemon mainline game, not sure why they would release this at this time with almost zero promotion.

Would have been a noticeable release for Feb or March.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
With so many games coming out including GameFreak's new Pokemon mainline game, not sure why they would release this at this time with almost zero promotion.

Would have been a noticeable release for Feb or March.
Meanwhile, in February and March...

"Why would they bother bringing a small RPG like this out at a time like this, right on the eve of big hitters like Animal Crossing (and maybe FFVII Remake for the non-Switch crowd)?" With a game like this that's generally going to appeal most to a particular niche, there's not exactly a "good" time to put a game like this out, might as well release it now that it's done, and there's at least a little bit of distance from the ridiculous September slate. The game's not that long, so there's still a full month to go through it between now and Pokemon's release, I don't know why that's being deemed as "too close."

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I'm kind of weirded out by all the negativity surrounding this game. It's a fun little CCG with child-oriented story elements. Sure, it isn't Pokemon but not everything has to be Pokemon.

I for one hope Game Freak makes more games like this throughout the Switch's lifespan. Sure, they might be known for making Pokemon, but nothing could possibly be more boring than making nothing but the same franchise for 20+ years lol.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
This was made by such a small team that it's really not reflective of what they could actually do with their full sized A teams. And considering people completely lost their minds because they dared even use some people to make this game instead of Pokémon, that will never happen
every single non-Pokemon game by GameFreak ends up being mediocre at best. I think they just might not be good enough, period. Maybe their creative team leads simply aren't creative enough, because smaller games from smaller studios have succeeded before.
Gotta say, I'm kind of weirded out by all the negativity surrounding this game. It's a fun little CCG with child-oriented story elements. Sure, it isn't Pokemon but not everything has to be Pokemon.
I for one hope Game Freak makes more games like this throughout the Switch's lifespan. Sure, they might be known for making Pokemon, but nothing could possibly be more boring than making nothing but the same franchise for 20+ years lol.
no one is throwing shit at the game for NOT being pokemon lmao, the fuck?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
*Reads thread*

PSA:

Drill Dozer is fucking great and I would gladly have them cut out all of your favorite Pokemon out of Pokemon games forever if it meant getting a good sequel.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd love to see new ideas from Tajiri on where he thinks the series should be going, or him creating new IP. Since around 2004 he's just stepped back and I never really hear anything about what he does anymore. Last thing I think was an Iwata Asks?

As for Little Town Hero. The reviews are as expected. I wish to see what the whole company can do focused on a project as big as Pokemon but a new game. Sounds like the dev time here was too short, or there were too few people on it while also trying to get Pokemon out the door.

I'd take another drill dozer if they made one.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The sheer hostility against GF in this thread is crazy. To not be interested in LTH is fine but to argue all of GF's non pokemon games are all mediocre and thus GF is apparently a bad studio is outrageous.

I wonder how much of this vitriol is the result of the pokedex fiasco or Sword & Shield not being as innovative as people hoped for.

To be frank I am NOT saying being negative to this game is just salty pokemon fans. I think GameXplain's review is good and valid

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drill Dozer and Pocket Card Jockey are both great games. Would love to have more of both series. Even Little Town Hero has some generally cool ideas that I think could make a great game, I dig the board/cardgame mix thing, it just doesn't seem implemented very well here probably because they wanted to release it in time for their anniversary and it needed a bit more time in the oven.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Skipping through the battle explanation from the GameXplain review video makes it sound like the battle system kinda works like Slay the Spire?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

Very interesting take! I will say that since around 2003/2004 I've personally felt Pokemon has started to slip a little. I still love the games and play all of them but I have noticed the stagnation and struggles. Maybe the change in leadership did have an effect? Hard to say without having worked their since around that time ya know? Still, from the outside looking in, we're just theorizing.

Shame I've heard such terrible things about Little Town Hero. I thought it looked interesting when it was first shown but it seems to have a lot of issues. I don't think it's very beautiful either like some people do here. It looks pretty bleak. I wanted this to be great, but with too many games coming out this season I can't afford to buy them all.

Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting take! I will say that since around 2003/2004 I've personally felt Pokemon has started to slip a little. I still love the games and play all of them but I have noticed the stagnation and struggles. Maybe the change in leadership did have an effect? Hard to say without having worked their since around that time ya know? Still, from the outside looking in, we're just theorizing.

Shame I've heard such terrible things about Little Town Hero. I thought it looked interesting when it was first shown but it seems to have a lot of issues. I don't think it's very beautiful either like some people do here. It looks pretty bleak. I wanted this to be great, but with too many games coming out this season I can't afford to buy them all.

Apparently Satoshi actually only directed up to the OG Pokemon 2 before it's current overhaul with Masuda taking over from that final version. Masuda directed Ruby and Sapphire and onward, so I was a bit wrong.

I adored the main 3rd gen games. Fire Red and Leaf Green were more off because of the difference in key for the majority of music which never made sense to me. The actual faithful remixes were amazing.

But Diamond & Pearl were the first to feel off to me. The hype cycle was incredible. We had over two years of teases and they were very smart to sprinkle the first new Pokemon like Munchlax and Lucario into 3rd gen movies, with Munchlax making his debut in Destiny Deoxys in 2004, which was only the 2nd film of that gen. They kept the hype going for years with infrequent but just enough Coro Coro teases and reveals. This was never replicated and is one horrific misfire by TPC since that's their role I'd think; marketing.

But the pay off was lacklustre. I can't put it into words but DP just couldn't hold on to my attention. Might have something to do with such a abysmal side-game period. Battle Revolution was a rushed, shockingly unpolished mess (oh that slow down when Submission was used... oh god). Without console games to keep the feeling alive, that was missed. Plus the anime was still reeling from the very controversial voice cast change (and this was still the Taj era), that hurt a lot also.

Platinum was the first 3rd version I skipped, and I only got Soul Silver back in 2012... only to sell it without even cracking it open. Diamond to this day still hasn't been played much and to this day I've yet to play a Pokemon game to the very end. Emerald and XD hold the honor of being my last completed Pokemon games.

This isn't an age issue since Pokemon still is one of my fav franchises period. But I guess I'm just in that seemingly never-ending rut and just seeing the serious flaws and just hold onto too much nostalgia for the first three gens? I dunno.

Actually it just occurred to me that they made an extremely critical flaw; they didn't bundle Pokemon Box with Colosseum. This would've given people a much more Stadium-esc experience. Hell you can see a lot of resemblance to Oak's Lab in the Stadium series in the interface and art assets. Hell Kenta Nagata from EPD returned from Stadium 1 to co-compose that game.

Something like that in the 4th gen could've been crucial. A proper follow-up to the Orre games by Genius Sonority (had they not been horrifically down-sized in 2008), plus a successor to Pokemon Box (not Ranch, or hell, use Ranch) bundled with the game to have DS playback (with the DS itself still using touch if needed) on your TV, that could've been huge.

The franchise's absence from home consoles pre-Switch in terms of RPGs was a serious void in the franchise. Might've helped Game Freak be more prepared for 3D themselves maybe as well.

That's my two cents anyway. :P

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Apparently Satoshi actually only directed up to the OG Pokemon 2 before it's current overhaul with Masuda taking over from that final version. Masuda directed Ruby and Sapphire and onward, so I was a bit wrong.

I adored the main 3rd gen games. Fire Red and Leaf Green were more off because of the difference in key for the majority of music which never made sense to me. The actual faithful remixes were amazing.

But Diamond & Pearl were the first to feel off to me. The hype cycle was incredible. We had over two years of teases and they were very smart to sprinkle the first new Pokemon like Munchlax and Lucario into 3rd gen movies, with Munchlax making his debut in Destiny Deoxys in 2004, which was only the 2nd film of that gen. They kept the hype going for years with infrequent but just enough Coro Coro teases and reveals. This was never replicated and is one horrific misfire by TPC since that's their role I'd think; marketing.

But the pay off was lacklustre. I can't put it into words but DP just couldn't hold on to my attention. Might have something to do with such a abysmal side-game period. Battle Revolution was a rushed, shockingly unpolished mess (oh that slow down when Submission was used... oh god). Without console games to keep the feeling alive, that was missed. Plus the anime was still reeling from the very controversial voice cast change (and this was still the Taj era), that hurt a lot also.

Platinum was the first 3rd version I skipped, and I only got Soul Silver back in 2012... only to sell it without even cracking it open. Diamond to this day still hasn't been played much and to this day I've yet to play a Pokemon game to the very end. Emerald and XD hold the honor of being my last completed Pokemon games.

This isn't an age issue since Pokemon still is one of my fav franchises period. But I guess I'm just in that seemingly never-ending rut and just seeing the serious flaws and just hold onto too much nostalgia for the first three gens? I dunno.

Actually it just occurred to me that they made an extremely critical flaw; they didn't bundle Pokemon Box with Colosseum. This would've given people a much more Stadium-esc experience. Hell you can see a lot of resemblance to Oak's Lab in the Stadium series in the interface and art assets. Hell Kenta Nagata from EPD returned from Stadium 1 to co-compose that game.

Something like that in the 4th gen could've been crucial. A proper follow-up to the Orre games by Genius Sonority (had they not been horrifically down-sized in 2008), plus a successor to Pokemon Box (not Ranch, or hell, use Ranch) bundled with the game to have DS playback (with the DS itself still using touch if needed) on your TV, that could've been huge.

The franchise's absence from home consoles pre-Switch in terms of RPGs was a serious void in the franchise. Might've helped Game Freak be more prepared for 3D themselves maybe as well.

Platinum and HGSS are regarded as two of the best games in the franchise, period. Gen 4 sold extremely well after the GBA games didn't sell as well relatively, partly because hardware sales were lower. Gen 4 brought innovations to the franchise with actually incredible online (on a Nintendo system in the mid-2000s, no less), made corrections to the combat system with the Physical/Special split, and established the meta-game for good. The DS games from Platinum up until Black 2/White 2 are regarded as the golden age of Pokémon games. You skipped out on what's unanimously agreed upon as two of the best and this is your take? You're not giving the series a fair shake.

Pokémon becoming less ambitious of a franchise as it's gone on isn't a symptom of Tajiri being inactive or whatever. There's no way to deduce any of that when he was the sole director for only Gen 1. The second generation was supposed to be the final set of games in the franchise, but the series got huge and it continued and Masuda's been a director from that period on. Masuda was also a co-director for Gold/Silver, and is the director for Crystal, so he's been at it for a long time.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

You're putting a lot of confidence in game composition and spin-offs rather than how gen 4 is actually viewed, which is to say the pinnacle of the series by many. I don't get why you're making any grand statement about GF when you admit to not playing the games they've made within the last decade. Platinum and HGSS are heralded as some of the best games of the franchise. This take is nuts man I'm sorry. Honestly the franchise got better after Masuda took over, the true nonsense started with X and Y. Masuda literally green lighted the best GF games ever, what is this take. I get that it's your two cents, but man why write so much about a franchise you haven't touched in over ten years.

I love the gamecube spin-offs, but that shit is so inconsequential to GF within the last decade, even within the context of consoles because no one gave a shit within the last ten years.

Last edited: