• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk why people keep framing things as if Gamexplain is one person. Sticker Star was hated by Andre. He probably would've gave the game a "hated" too if they used the scale. I think Derrick didn't hate it so if he reviewed it then he probably would've given it a better review

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That Gamexplain review.....damn. i can't remember the last time they hated anything.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk why people keep framing things as if Gamexplain is one person. Sticker Star was hated by Andre. He probably would've gave the game a "hated" too if they used the scale. I think Derrick didn't hate it so if he reviewed it then he probably would've given it a better review
Gaming has this problem where people think more about the outlet than the reviewer.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming has this problem where people think more about the outlet than the reviewer.
It's like the Edge review topics. Good god if one game people loved got a bad score while another "bad" game got a better score. You'd think Edge was one person who could review 10 games at a time when you're in that topic.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I know there are other more positive reviews out there but GameXplain's review is all I need to hear since my taste almost always fall in line with theirs.

Easy pass.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's a shame, but the game never really looked like it had much to it based on the previews. I kind of thought it might be a city-builder type game, but I don't think that's the case.

Is it a full price release? Perhaps if it was 29.99 or so it might perform OK.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but ratings in general tend to make no sense when comparing completely different types of games. In GameXplain's case, they rated Untitled Goose Game higher than Breath of the Wild.

I know fully abolishing ratings and forcing everyone to read reviews is never going to happen, but a man can dream.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but ratings in general tend to make no sense when comparing completely different types of games. In GameXplain's case, they rated Untitled Goose Game higher than Breath of the Wild.

I know fully abolishing ratings and forcing everyone to read reviews is never going to happen, but a man can dream.
What's wrong with liking Goose Game more than BotW?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
is the gamexplain person that reviewed it the same person playing in the 1 hour of footage video? lol
not that i think the game looks good

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people sometimes tend to frame them as "Nintendo biased" but they always point out flaws in games even if they like them.
i don't know if I'd call it Nintendo bias as that makes it sound like an agenda, they just like those types of games. But to be honest I steer clear of GameXplain reviews of Nintendo games because they're (almost) always so positive. There may be token negatives in there but they're always glossed over 'but hey that doesn't matter because the game is so much fun'. That's their genuine opinion, but it just makes it hard to find the review useful.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Nothing at all. I thought it was a good example of two games that couldn't be more different from each other that are nevertheless forced onto a inflexible scale that (unfortunately) implies objectivity.
That's what our scale aims to avoid. Saying we "Love" a game shouldn't be the equivalent of a 9/10, we see it more as how you would describe a game to someone in casual conversation. Steve loved Goose Game & Andre liked Breath of the Wild a lot - I think those can co-exist without contradicting each other

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
That's what our scale aims to avoid. Saying we "Love" a game shouldn't be the equivalent of a 9/10, we see it more as how you would describe a game to someone in casual conversation. Steve loved Goose Game & Andre liked Breath of the Wild a lot - I think those can co-exist without contradicting each other

Right, I agree those things coexist, which is why I think that should be said in the review but not as part of a formalized scale that Metacritic can easily convert into a number. :P

(Ignore me, this has nothing to do with you guys in particular, just my eternal annoyance at review discussions revolving around the score and not the actual reviews...)

Coolsambob

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea when this is playable in the UK? still says pre-order but playable 16/10 which is today.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
i don't know if I'd call it Nintendo bias as that makes it sound like an agenda, they just like those types of games. But to be honest I steer clear of GameXplain reviews of Nintendo games because they're (almost) always so positive. There may be token negatives in there but they're always glossed over 'but hey that doesn't matter because the game is so much fun'. That's their genuine opinion, but it just makes it hard to find the review useful.

I actually find GameXplain reviews to have more negatives in them than many other review sites. See the Mario Maker 2 review as a great example of this and how the New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe review shines shade on it in favour of other superior platformers.

I guess what you have to remember as well is that Nintendo are arguably the best game developer in the world and probably the greatest of all time, so their main games aren't ever really going to get a lot of criticism because they're most likely some of the best games released that year.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. I thought about picking this up, but maybe I'll wait for a discount. I was mostly interested because of Toby Fox, anyway.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Telling people to play DQXIS instead is ridiculous. LTH is specifically designed to be a smaller and concise JRPG experience. It's their whole hook. Recommending the game that does the exact opposite gives me pause.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The battle system sounds plain awful, and the fact that there's pretty much nothing to do outside of battles makes me extremely uninterested. Maybe my own fault for thinking this game was something else, but oh well.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably that battle system. Is convoluted, but it seemed to be set up for more skillful gameplay later on in the game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily tell this is a GameFreak game. GF sure loves using the same character model in multiple instances.

Is there a 3d indie sized rpg that doesn't use the same models though? That part seems more expected for a game of that scope
I remember seeing many clones in games like FFXV, walking by each other. DQ11 does it too iirc.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Is there a 3d indie sized rpg that doesn't use the same models though? That part seems more expected for a game of that scope
Dunno haven't played many. It's just something I observed from the Pokemon games where there's tons of s class of trainers that look the wxact same and the look only differs between gender. Guess you're right.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno. It's just something I observed from the Pokemon games where there's tons of s class of trainers that look the wxact same and the look only differs between gender.

Trainer classes looked the same yeah, but there were also 30+ even in the original games and have been more than 300 by now with recurring types looking different. They could do more to differentiate them, but most jrpgs indie or otherwise repeat a lot of assets while Pokemon now has to have a lot of both human and creature models.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Wheres I love gamexplains videos I looks forward to grabbing it and formulating my own opinion
..a foreign concept I know

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I don't get it, it was in the last Direct and they announced the date.

BTW this one is Gamefreak published.
always looked kinda unremarkable so we all just... forgot.
———
Gamexplain (Hated):
If I weren't reviewing this game, I would have dropped it after the first chapter. It pains me to say it but I hate Little Town Hero. It feels like a tech demo wrapped around a kernel of a good idea and executed in the worst possible way. If you're looking for a RPG on the Nintendo Switch, buy Dragon Quest XI S instead.
Jesus christ Gamexplain hahaha

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I'm all that interested in the game, but I do really want to hear the soundtrack from Toby.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I was reservedly excited for this game, but wow I don't think I've ever seen a GameXplain Hated review.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are all over the place... ultimately leaving it "Swimming in 7s™️."

Right up my alley. I'll grab it by EOY.

I think it was largely about how big and open it looked...which is kind of amusing in retrospect with how small it is in comparison
I guess I need to go back and listen to the original reveal... I was always under the impression a game named "Town" in which a character protects his home town always sounded kinda small to me...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Digital Fix (9/10):
Little Town Hero is a refreshing take on the turn-based RPG genre, with gorgeous visuals, a perfect soundtrack, and endearing characters. If the tedium of combat was tuned a bit, this would be a 10 out of 10 hands down.

Nintendo Life (7/10):
In an era where every RPG - and every genre that's assimilated roleplay mechanics into their DNA - have used grinding and oversized maps to extend their playtimes into figures only a select few can truly undertake, Little Town Hero has confidently opted for a shorter experience that's more akin to the pace, style and sedate pace of Animal Crossing than a traditional RPG or JRPG. However, with a battle system that trades XP levelling for a purer sense of tactical planning and experimentation (albeit with an unpredictable spike difficulty), Game Freak proves that a 'casual' game can still have plenty of imagination, even on a smaller scale. It's far from essential, but if you love CCG-style combat and can't stomach another 100-hour RPG, there's much to like in Little Town Hero.

MSPoweruser (6.5/10):
Little Town Hero is a very unique RPG. It's short, unadventurous and not that grand, but its quaintness is admirable. It's enjoyable enough, and for a budget price-point, it certainly is worth the price of admission. For players who were hoping for a grand adventure similar to Pokémon, Game Freak isn't aiming for that. This is a smaller experience, and it's far from perfect, but it's at least a refreshing entry in a crowded genre.

GamingTrend (60/100):
Little Town Hero boasts a unique, strategic battle system that draws heavily on card game mechanics. Despite the fact that the story and art design seems to be aimed at a younger audience, combat is far too slow, strategic, and challenging to keep the attention of most kids. It's an interesting combination of traditional RPG storytelling with Heartstone-like mechanics and difficulty that's sure to captivate some, but will likely miss the mark for most.

GamesRadar (3/5):
If you can swallow the uninspired storytelling and framerate drops, there's a lot of fun to be had taking down monsters in Little Town Hero. An exercise in battle strategy and patience for its flaws, Little Town Hero knows where its strengths lie, and thankfully you'll see more strengths than flaws if you invest in them.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I am absolutely going to buy this game.... 's soundtrack.
38668.jpg

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
If this were $60 it would be a pass, but since it's $25 I'll probably give it a go.

that's where I'm at $25 is nothing to give it a shot, and see if I like it or not hopefully it ends up being decent. The only thing I don't like is 0 inventory management or nothing to really do outside of battling the monsters, but we will see