• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, do we know if the GameXplain review was written by the same person who did their absolutely dreadful one hour preview?

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum and HGSS are regarded as two of the best games in the franchise, period. Gen 4 sold extremely well after the GBA games didn't sell as well relatively, partly because hardware sales were lower. Gen 4 brought innovations to the franchise with actually incredible online (on a Nintendo system in the mid-2000s, no less), made corrections to the combat system with the Physical/Special split, and established the meta-game for good. The DS games from Platinum up until Black 2/White 2 are regarded as the golden age of Pokémon games. You skipped out on what's unanimously agreed upon as two of the best and this is your take? You're not giving the series a fair shake.

Pokémon becoming less ambitious of a franchise as it's gone on isn't a symptom of Tajiri being inactive or whatever. There's no way to deduce any of that when he was the sole director for only Gen 1. The second generation was supposed to be the final set of games in the franchise, but the series got huge and it continued and Masuda's been a director from that period on. Masuda was also a co-director for Gold/Silver, and is the director for Crystal, so he's been at it for a long time.
You're putting a lot of confidence in game composition and spin-offs rather than how gen 4 is actually viewed, which is to say the pinnacle of the series by many. I don't get why you're making any grand statement about GF when you admit to not playing the games they've made within the last decade. Platinum and HGSS are heralded as some of the best games of the franchise. This take is nuts man I'm sorry. Honestly the franchise got better after Masuda took over, the true nonsense started with X and Y. Masuda literally green lighted the best GF games ever, what is this take.

Yeah I admit the only main games I played after the 3rd gen were; Diamond, Black, X, and Let's Go Pikachu.

So it's not like I didn't play them, but for whstever reason they didn't grab me enough to play more than a few badges. This wasn't the case when I fully beat Yellow, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, and Emerald. And fully beat for spin-offs; Stadium 1, 2, Colosseum, and XD.

But I've always been here observing and keeping up with the franchise otherwise. Sorry if it seems like I'm making big uninformed opinions, but that's how I feel anyway. :P

Oct 26, 2017
The GameXplain review makes this sound very undercooked, which leads me to question why Game Freak released it now? They have Pokemon coming next month so it's not like they couldn't afford to give this more time...

Seems like a shame.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ouch, it's now at 67 on MC and 66 on OC

Nintenderos (8/10, review in spanish):
If you are looking for an original proposal in the genre of the role to carry out gaming sessions that are not too extensive, there is no doubt that Little Town Hero is an option worth considering. Thus, despite some performance problems and its somewhat pronounced learning curve, this new Game Freak proposal has much to offer in the form of a combat system the sea of original and addictive once it is mastered, added to a soundtrack signed by Toby Fox himself and a more than acceptable story that develops both the protagonist and the rest of the cast around him in a more than acceptable way. That way, there is only one question left to ask; Do you sign up to unravel the mysteries of this (apparently) idyllic town next to us?

TrustedReviews (3.5.5):
Little Town Hero is a solid RPG with several unique, ambitious new systems that light up different parts of the brain than you may be used to. However, it also feels like it's still in the prototype phase, and is let down by some awkward visual design choices, performance bugs and a puzzle system that lacks any of the intuition that the developers had clearly intended.

The battle system is fun to figure out, but ultimately combat is so drawn out and confusing that it becomes exhausting, and as the turns start to cloy, you may have to put the game down for a while and play something else. Unfortunately, it's not as snappy and enjoyable in quick bursts as Pokemon, which may be the thing that doom's Little Town Hero's clear potential as a brain-teasing game to play on your commute.

FNintendo (6/10, review in portuguese):
Little Town Hero does what Game Freak has tried to do: a different Pokémon experience in a good-idea RPG capable of pleasing a good number of players. However, what it presents is not enough and Little Town Hero is unable to deliver a memorable experience of the high standards that Game Freak has accustomed to. A game only recommended for those looking for a different and ... short JRPG.

GameSpot (5/10):
Little Town Hero finds some success in avoiding some of the complex systems and tedious menus that can bog down other card games and RPGs, but it ends up suffering for it. Keeping your card options limited allows you to approach encounters with clever instead of relying on luck of the draw, but the deck size is too limited to break the mounting doldrum of subsequent fights. And while I did get to know this town pretty well, that's because of how small and suffocating it feels as it refuses to push outside its own boundaries.

USgamer (2/5):
Aside from its cute art direction, there's not much joy to be found in Game Freak's Little Town Hero. Its battle system has a glimmer of potential, but finds itself muddled in system after system, making what should be its standout boss battles a tedious affair. Even for a budget price, this is a town you probably won't want to visit for more than a day.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game never looked terribly impressive but I expected it to get better reviews than this, at least in the 70 range. Shame.

Oct 26, 2017
What most surprises me is that a game focused on a single Town has so little to do inside that town. It was the one area where I was expecting more depth and one of the reasons I was initially excited for the game.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious, do we know if the GameXplain review was written by the same person who did their absolutely dreadful one hour preview?

Yes, it's the same person, which he confirmed in the 1-hour preview thread.

The game never looked terribly impressive but I expected it to get better reviews than this, at least in the 70 range. Shame.

Well, it's clearly a game where there isn't a clear scoring consensus. Some reviewers loved it, some reviewers hated it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What most surprises me is that a game focused on a single Town has so little to do inside that town. It was the one area where I was expecting more depth and one of the reasons I was initially excited for the game.
same, the idea of a game taking place in one town immediately made me think there would be so much to do in it. in a regular RPG with 10 or 20 towns, it may not be a big deal but here it would really stick out.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The GameXplain review makes this sound very undercooked, which leads me to question why Game Freak released it now? They have Pokemon coming next month so it's not like they couldn't afford to give this more time...

Seems like a shame.

If I had to guess, perhaps they realized there was no saving this mess critically or financially, so they just put a hard deadline and got the game out.

It's was concerning when the game got a big reveal, then they went radio silent for so long before saying "uhh out next month".

Oct 26, 2017
If I had to guess, perhaps they realized there was no saving this mess critically or financially, so they just put a hard deadline and got the game out.

It's was concerning when the game got a big reveal, then they went radio silent for so long before saying "uhh out next month".
Yeah that's possible they want Pokemon to release soon after so everyone forgets about this.

Stay on topic, this isn't a pokemon thread

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Due to concerns people have with Pokemon and the conversation surrounding it potentially spilling over and drowning out discussion in threads on Little Town Hero, we ask that our users save those posts for appropriate threads, and stay on the topic of Little Town Hero. Thank you.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and I think that's my biggest disappointment with this title. I was hoping the town was super dense, with a dozen or so residents you'd grow to love through various interactions/quest. If it were that, I could've easily put with with its strange battle system.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and I think that's my biggest disappointment with this title. I was hoping the town was super dense, with a dozen or so residents you'd grow to love through various interactions/quest. If it were that, I could've easily put with with its strange battle system.
I'm still not sure I understand what the game is trying to achieve with its concept.

Is it the idea that there are several different areas where combat can take place and each area comes with unique additions to the battle mechanics? In that case navigating around a fixed town is a good way to familiarize the player with the types of areas.
But on the other hand, GameXplain made it sound like only a small number of these areas actually had additional mechanics.

Is it the idea that you can recruite town members and they bring with them unique additions to the battle mechanics? In that case is fighting the villagers meant to be a way to demonstrate their individual abilities to the player?

Is it a combination of both where we're supposed to mix and match partners and locations to explore the system?
Do we even have control over where battles take place?

Last edited:

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Got the game. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Not the best 1st party game this year, but all in all a nice little filler.

I like the fact that the battle is more than just spamming your favourite moves. I really do. I love the artstyle and the little quirky humor.

Easy eight, even 8,5 from me.

Oct 26, 2017

I like the fact that the battle is more than just spamming your favourite moves. I really do. I love the artstyle and the little quirky humor.

Do you have complete control over which area battles take place in and who to recruit to each fight? If so, does that help mitigate some of the randomness of the idea/ability system? Like, can you plan strategies by deciding ahead of time where to fight and who to recruit, for a given monster?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm still not sure I understand what the game is trying to achieve with its concept.

Is it the idea that there are several different areas where combat can take place and each area comes with unique additions to the battle mechanics? GameXplain made it sound like only a small number of areas had additional mechanics.

Is it the idea that you can recruite town members and they bring with them unique additions to the battle mechanics? In that case is fighting the villagers meant to be a way to demonstrate their individual abilities to the player?

Is it a combination of both where we're supposed to mix and match partners and locations to explore the system?
Do we even have control over where battles take place?
The core of the concept is "try and find ways to break the enemy's attacks as efficiently as possible." All the other mechanics and such are implemented in service of that goal. Moving around in battle is done to give you opportunities to reach townspeople or other helpful gadgets that basically give you a one-use aid of some kind.

The ideas that Axe uses to fight can be upgraded over time but it doesn't seem like you get many if any "new" attacks, so the way the game changes things up seems to do a lot with new enemies introducing new wrinkles with their own attacks that require different strategies to deal with.

I think a lot of what's hanging people up is just the way the game expects you to use everything at your disposal--and smartly, at that--in order to win. Monster battles are never something to be breezed through, even in the first one, so grasping the mechanics quickly and getting the most out of your resources is essential. Think in whole turns and not just the next action.

Not mechanically, but approach-wise, I kind of want to say to not think about this game like Pokemon, and more like Fire Emblem. Battling is the front and center focus. Those games historically are judged more on the interplay of their systems more than the real "RPG" parts of them. Battles are lengthy and deliberate, and knowingly so. You're not meant to breeze through a fight from start to finish, it's meant to feel daunting. LTH just takes that sort of mentality and condenses it down into 1-on-1 fights in a village, rather than armies waging war across a countryside.

Oct 26, 2017
The core of the concept is "try and find ways to break the enemy's attacks as efficiently as possible." All the other mechanics and such are implemented in service of that goal. Moving around in battle is done to give you opportunities to reach townspeople or other helpful gadgets that basically give you a one-use aid of some kind.

The ideas that Axe uses to fight can be upgraded over time but it doesn't seem like you get many if any "new" attacks, so the way the game changes things up seems to do a lot with new enemies introducing new wrinkles with their own attacks that require different strategies to deal with.

I think a lot of what's hanging people up is just the way the game expects you to use everything at your disposal--and smartly, at that--in order to win. Monster battles are never something to be breezed through, even in the first one, so grasping the mechanics quickly and getting the most out of your resources is essential. Think in whole turns and not just the next action.

Not mechanically, but approach-wise, I kind of want to say to not think about this game like Pokemon, and more like Fire Emblem. Battling is the front and center focus. Those games historically are judged more on the interplay of their systems more than the real "RPG" parts of them. Battles are lengthy and deliberate, and knowingly so. You're not meant to breeze through a fight from start to finish, it's meant to feel daunting. LTH just takes that sort of mentality and condenses it down into 1-on-1 fights in a village, rather than armies waging war across a countryside.
I think I understand your point and also why people coming into this game with certain expectations might be disappointed. What I'm trying to figure out in order to decide if this game is for me concerns the degree of control the player has over the outcome of battles.

I understand that the kinds of moves available to you in battle, as well as the amount of energy available to activate those moves are two aspects where - unlike standard jrpgs - there is some randomness. Hence the player has a more limited amount of control. In that case is the player expected to rely on luck or multiple tries to win a battle (as the game explain review suggests) or are there other aspects of the mechanics at the players disposal which they are expected to learn how to use in order to increase their chances of success in battles? Choosing the location and who to recruit appear to be such potential aspects.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I haven't yet exactly figured out if there's a particular order to the way ideas are moved from your Headspace into the active pool or if that aspect of it is randomized. The best way I can think to answer your question is that there is some randomness/luck in battles, but there are also mechanisms that you'll have in place to help mitigate some of that.

For instance, moving around the village in battle is normally controlled via dice rolls, but a few of Axe's dazzits (actions) have conditions that will grant you a perk called Free Mobility, which will let you move to any space you want within a range for the next turn. So if you're close to a villager you want to make use of in the next round, you can seek one of those moves.
There's a system in place in which you can gain BP, a resource that you can trade to let you bring an idea from your Headspace (essentially Axe's "deck") into your active rotation that turn. So if you feel like you really need access to something in particular in a round, you can get it, but be warned that each time you do this in a fight raises the BP cost to do it again, so it's best done sparingly. Generally it's best to try and make do with what you're given, but if you don't feel like you can, it's a decent emergency option. I don't think the big fights are really designed for you to necessarily score easy All-Breaks every round, so weighing opportunity cost is important.

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't yet exactly figured out if there's a particular order to the way ideas are moved from your Headspace into the active pool or if that aspect of it is randomized. The best way I can think to answer your question is that there is some randomness/luck in battles, but there are also mechanisms that you'll have in place to help mitigate some of that.

For instance, moving around the village in battle is normally controlled via dice rolls, but a few of Axe's dazzits (actions) have conditions that will grant you a perk called Free Mobility, which will let you move to any space you want within a range for the next turn. So if you're close to a villager you want to make use of in the next round, you can seek one of those moves.
There's a system in place in which you can gain BP, a resource that you can trade to let you bring an idea from your Headspace (essentially Axe's "deck") into your active rotation that turn. So if you feel like you really need access to something in particular in a round, you can get it, but be warned that each time you do this in a fight raises the BP cost to do it again, so it's best done sparingly. Generally it's best to try and make do with what you're given, but if you don't feel like you can, it's a decent emergency option. I don't think the big fights are really designed for you to necessarily score easy All-Breaks every round, so weighing opportunity cost is important.
Interesting! Thanks for the detailed reply! Seems like the battle system is indeed something the player needs to delve into more deeply.
In that case this game could really use a demo!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not a first party game.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Do you have complete control over which area battles take place in and who to recruit to each fight? If so, does that help mitigate some of the randomness of the idea/ability system? Like, can you plan strategies by deciding ahead of time where to fight and who to recruit, for a given monster?
In some cases, but not all the time. Especially in the early stages of the game (Im still not very far) there is much more randomness than you'd find in traditional system.

It's not a first party game.
It's THE 1st party game.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not terribly surprised this is doing poorly. It had potential, but it seemed pretty undercooked in every showing after the first.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I played it last night for a couple hours, It is fun to pick up and do a boss battle and set down and play in bursts i think. It's not changing the wheel but its an endearing game that could have been fleshed out more

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Seems quite divisive.
Yet another Switch game with performance issues though, it's getting tiring.
Whatever, I was never really interested in this, I'd probably fall in line with GameXplain's review.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know Game Freak's non-Pokémon stuff tends to review poorly, but I'm surprised it's as low as it is. Would've expected something more in the mid-high 70s.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I got dogpiled for dismissing this game in the upcoming Switch release schedule. Of course I wish that every Switch game were good, but unfortunately I'm not surprised with this one.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Something I already see that drives me absolutely crazy is a lack of NPC variety.

Already within the first 30 minutes you go to work in a mine and there are 6 NPC's, FOUR of which are identical, the other two also being the same under a different model.

Stuff like that is just inexcusable.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Thought this was the preview thread, this is already coming out? Wow.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm fighting the first monster. I think the battle system being a mix of CCG and Mario Party board game movement is pretty sweet however these battles last wayyyyy too long. Like you're going to be fighting one battle for at least an hour, it's nuts.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm so used to someone else already being on top of an OT that it didn't even cross my mind until the game's already been out.

I'm feeling tempted to throw something together because it would be nice for there to be a spot to actually talk about the game itself beyond the review capacity, since there IS some pretty decent stuff to discuss. I just finished Chapter 2 a few minutes ago and whew. This game does a good job of making fights feel daunting, which is a bit at-odds with its presentation but something about it still is kinda working for me so far, lol.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I'm so used to someone else already being on top of an OT that it didn't even cross my mind until the game's already been out.

I'm feeling tempted to throw something together because it would be nice for there to be a spot to actually talk about the game itself beyond the review capacity, since there IS some pretty decent stuff to discuss. I just finished Chapter 2 a few minutes ago and whew. This game does a good job of making fights feel daunting, which is a bit at-odds with its presentation but something about it still is kinda working for me so far, lol.

That would be cool if you do man!

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished the first chapter/battle and this is exactly the kind of card battling game that attracts me instantly. I needed that first heavy tutorial chapter to explain everything to me like I am a child who has never played this type of game before. I think I may have artificially inflated the combat a bit by making a few rookie mistakes, like not locking in my Dazzits before using Ember's buff power. It seems like the better you are at this sort of game, the faster you're going to blaze through it.

I don't think the graphics are anything to write home about. Sound design is interesting, I'm into it.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LTH does a really good job at making sure monster fights are even. Fights that I thought I had messed up badly at the beginning could usually be pulled back through clever use of the mechanics.

The opposite also exists though. Fights I thought I was cruising through would find me getting slapped down to reality the next turn.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This game would have been way more fun if they tweaked the combat. As it stands it's just stalemate after stalemate without any damage being done and it get's very monotonous very fast.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Well, in the absence of anybody else taking on the mantle (and I did check the coordination thread beforehand too just to be sure), I went ahead and threw together an OT. Hope it'll at least suffice for those of us here that are making our way through the game itself to talk about outside of review context.

Last edited: