• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Launching this Thursday, February 11th. A free next-gen upgrade will release later this year.

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | PS4 | Switch
Opencritic

*Note the quote in the headline came from this tweet, I assumed it was included in the article text but apparently not!

Trueachivements - 4/5
With Little Nightmares 2 Tarsier Studios has once again dreamt up a wonderfully unnerving world filled with grotesque and fantastical creatures that is a horrifying pleasure to explore. Gameplay is mostly the same as in the original, with the only significant exceptions being the addition of Six as an AI companion and some clumsy combat that actually feels more like a puzzle than anything else. If you enjoyed the first game, and you're looking for more of the same creepy goodness, you can't go wrong with Little Nightmares 2. Just maybe sleep with the lights on after you're done playing.

Easy Allies - 8.5/10

VG247 - 4/5
Little Nightmares 2 is a superb sequel that carries on the impressive tone of the original, but improves in all key areas. This isn't explosive horror, there's no gore or torture, and for the most part you're jumping onto levers, solving puzzles, and climbing up furniture, but that doesn't mean Tarsier hasn't created a standout horror experience.

NintendoEverything - "Thumbs Up"
Little Nightmares II very much builds upon the foundation of what made Little Nightmares before it an instant classic, introducing a refreshing new take on horror and side-scrolling gameplay that went beyond what was traditional by giving players a Z-axis to roam around with.

GameReactor - 8.2/10
Little Nightmares II expands upon the DNA of its predecessor in many meaningful ways, and in my eyes, it's undoubtedly a superior sequel. The game features a more diverse list of locales and its harrowing atmosphere remains consistent throughout. I also found its central narrative to be pretty powerful and its puzzles are much more creative and varied this time around. I did, however, find it to be disappointingly short and I struggled to get to grips with its combat due to its imprecise nature. Still, if you were one of the many that fell in love with its predecessor then you should absolutely give this one a chance.

PlayStation Universe - 9/10
Little Nightmares 2 is a game that pulls together every aspect of a game's presentation and pulls it off miraculously. Everything here is amplified from the original and moments feel like true cinematic wonders, unlike anything you have seen before. Combat doesn't always work, but the whole package is truly impressive and a showcase of the talent Tarsier Studios possess.

The Washington Post - Unscored
"Little Nightmares 2″ shattered my expectations. I expected something scary, but the impeccable sound design, terrifying enemy encounters and clever puzzles make it worth revisiting, even after completion. This nightmarish experience has a lot to offer. Just don't expect to get much sleep after playing.

DualShockers - 9/10
Although some of its most pulse-pounding moments are held back by frustrating depth-of-field and lighting issues, Little Nightmares 2 is a cinematic, more action-packed take on the formula. While some of its design issues frustrated me more than the first game, a majority of the changes made are still improvements.

Powerup Gaming - 8.8/10
Little Nightmares 2 is a superb puzzle-platformer that'll worm its way into your brain and stay there,

Eurogamer - "Reccomended"
All of which leads me to something of a conundrum. While my every instinct is to tell you that Little Nightmares 2 is a frustrating encounter that's likely better watched than played, I can't help but admit I love it - fervently and ferociously - even if it was such an unmitigated ballache to play to completion.

Push Square - 6/10
Little Nightmares II is worth experiencing for its art direction alone, although its hand cramping controls can be an obstacle at times. The title relies far too heavily on trial and error, which frustrates, but many of its encounters will live with you long after the credits roll, and so it's successful at creating a lasting impression. It's a stiff and rigid release, but its puzzles are constantly reinventing themselves, and each frame draws you in with its surreal and unsettling imagery.

Wccftech - 6/10
Little Nightmares II often manages to recapture the unsettling essence of Tarsier Studios' original game, but almost every attempt to expand the formula falls flat, resulting in an experience as lumpy and misshapen as the game's shambling monstrosities. If you loved the original Little Nightmares and need to know what happens to Six next, this sequel might be worth your time, but more fair-weather fans may regret reliving this particular bad dream.

Last edited:

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I was just making this thread lol.

Excited to play, seems a few reviews keep mentioning frustrating which isn't good but I think it's referring to trail and error gameplay.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really need to play the first one. I've had it for YEARS just never launched it to start it. THis looks great.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Here's ours!
powerup-gaming.com

Little Nightmares 2 Review (PS4) – We Don’t Need No Thought Control - PowerUp!

Little Nightmares 2 is a game that stayed with me long after the credits had rolled. It's a short game, lasting only a half dozen hours at most but what it lacks in length it makes up for in impact. A sequel to the original game starring Six, Little Nightmares 2 introduces Mono; "a young

8.8/10

Little Nightmares 2 is a superb puzzle-platformer that'll worm its way into your brain and stay there

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Choo choo all aboard the hype train

Little Nightmares was a treasure. I never thought platforming and horror could mix so well.

Oct 25, 2017
Our review:

It's in PT-BR. I really, really love it. Had some issues with it's ending and some of it's challenges (more on how it sucks to be pulled out of the experience because of a missed jump), but man, it's suuuuuuch a great game overall. Gave it our recommended seal.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So glad for Tarsier! I still need to get around to playing the first one, despite buying it very early on. Can't wait to see this on new consoles

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've never given this a look before and it looks really damn cool. The aesthetics remind me of a playable version of early Tool videos. Going on my wishlist

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

The original has now sold over 3 million copies!

en.bandainamcoent.eu

Get ready to discover the world of Little Nightmares II, releasing this week

Little Nightmares reaches 3 M Units sold! Get lost in the latest trailer for Little Nightmares II, which will be released on February 11, 2021, on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC. A Google Stadia version of the game will also be released on February 11, free to claim for Stadia...

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Another review for the pile...

wccftech.com

Little Nightmares II Review – Bigger, But Not Better

Little Nightmares II is bigger and more complex than its predecessor, but has this series lost its dark charm in the process of growing up?

...guess I'm on the low end of the scale for this one! I enjoyed the first one a lot, and liked the sequel when it's sticking to what original did well, but really didn't dig almost everything they added (combat, flashlight sections, ect.) Atmosphere didn't feel quite on point for me either.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Hitman, then Nioh 2, then this, then Persona. This year is off to a bangin start for PC gaming

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"All of which leads me to something of a conundrum. While my every instinct is to tell you that Little Nightmares 2 is a frustrating encounter that's likely better watched than played, I can't help but admit I love it - fervently and ferociously - even if it was such an unmitigated ballache to play to completion."

A ringing endorsement then for a Eurogamer Recommended rating, Vikki! haha

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Our review:

It's in PT-BR. I really, really love it. Had some issues with it's ending and some of it's challenges (more on how it sucks to be pulled out of the experience because of a missed jump), but man, it's suuuuuuch a great game overall. Gave it our recommended seal.

To assistindo nesse momento! Parabéns, vocês são demais.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
The first is fantastic and this looked like a winner from the start. Can't wait to play on the weekend, got it preloaded already!

I waited and waited to play the first one until it was like $6 and that was the best bargain I had on a game recently.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds awesome. Everything I've seen so far has looked amazing too.

Congrats to the devs!

Dec 6, 2017
US
The art direction is amazing but I found the controls unbearable and puzzle solutions very stiff and rigid. The game relies massively on trial and error which started to get on my nerves: https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/little_nightmares_ii

Like I say, absolutely unreal art direction, though.

Like I said in my post above, game looks awesome and it has a ton of great scores but the things you're pointing out here are definitely issues that would irritate the hell out of me. I'll proceed with a bit of caution.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Any ps5/serie x optimisation ?

Not that I could tell, I was prepping a video discussing PS5 performance, but then our reviewer sent their footage through and it was running at 60fps. I got confused, turns out they captured on a 1080p display, so it's 1080p60/4k30

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The art direction is amazing but I found the controls unbearable and puzzle solutions very stiff and rigid. The game relies massively on trial and error which started to get on my nerves.

Hey, the other guy who gave it a 6! Yeah, agree very much about the trial and error. There's literally stuff like, you open a door and a bucket falls on your head and kills you. Stuff you couldn't possibly foresee. The checkpoints are generous, but it still starts to feel like a grind when it happens constantly.

Any ps5/serie x optimisation ?

The review guide mentioned something about higher resolution on next-gen via backward compatibility, but didn't specify what it was. Game did seem to be a little sharper than the standard 1080p on PS5.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's mine:

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

Certain spots of such unsettling weirdness may split some who maybe aren't as into the more oblique form of world-building and reasoning as others. Even so, Tarsier Studios once again demonstrate a clear and clever understanding of horror's more emotional, nostalgically-twisting strengths. Out-and-out scary it may not be, Little Nightmares II is one of the more well-crafted and remarkably-unsettling takes on the puzzle-platformer sub-genre.

Was on the fence about giving it either a 4 or a 4.5 as I really enjoyed what time I spent with the game, but there's a few minor faults that I think hold it back enough to not warrant THAT high a score. Still a great game, enjoyed it more than the original.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Seems to be in line with the original which is fine by me. I have this pre-loaded on my Series X.

Any word when the true next gen versions are going to drop?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
My review will be published in print but I'm on the lower end of the spectrum, aiming for a score in the 70ies. I wanted to love it, and I adored parts of it (especially the atmosphere, art and sound design and boss encounters), but the game frustrated me so hard at times I often hated it in equal parts. Especially the weapons handling is terrible at times, and when it amounts to luck to get a hit, having to hit three targets in a row is just infuriating. The controls sometimes work against you during tense moments too, leading to cheap deaths.

And the trial and error is vicious at times. Just throwing you in traps you could not really anticipate. Luckily a checkpoint is rarely far away.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Too bad, I see that the gameplay is similar to the first one and it was my biggest problem with the game. At least I see that the rest is still very good.