• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game, and the movie was probably the first Japanese animation I ever watched, though I had no idea at the time. Would love to track down and try the arcade game at some point.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i rewatched the movie over the easter weekend

woof, that movie is not good

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Loved this game with all my heart. Even remember reading previews for it in Nintendo Power back in the day. Loved the platforming and the difficulty.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite NES games, you wouldn't believe how many times I rented it :) The train level is damn hard, but feels so good when you pass it. Too bad it's an IP that just isn't popular enough for Capcom to go to any effort to get onto virtual consoles or whatever.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Oh, nice thread. I actually bought that movie on DVD recently and I only heard about it a few years ago and saw some of it on YouTube. I fell in love with the art style.

I loved the game as a kid! Such a classic!

And that's funny timing cuz I actually decided to remaster an old drawing of mine just yesterday!

Here's the original from several years ago.
little_nemo_nes_cover__rough__by_carlosrox-d2yo5ov.jpg

And here's a "remaster" I started working on on my phone!
little_nemo_nes_cover___remastered_wip_by_carlosrox-dc2415x.png

Holy shit that's great!

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ahhhhh I love this game!! Never beat it but played it A TON as a kid. Instant feels looking at that OP

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
When I was really young, I used to play the arcade game a lot! It's a pretty fun beat-em-up with a friend. Didn't know about this NES game though, seems awesome!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
i rewatched the movie over the easter weekend

woof, that movie is not good
Yeah it isn't.

But something about the visuals of the movie and game worked for me as a kid. I have good memories of both.

I was really hyped for the game but ultimately was disappointed. But it was very good for a game based on a movie. Back then that was usually almost a guaranteed piece of shit.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Had this game as a kid and played through it quite a bit, usually with Game Genie since even as a kid I was a total scrub. I think I tried playing through it again a couple of years ago, honestly aside from House of Toys being a little tricky at points most of the game is pretty manageable until you reach the Nightmare World portion of the game. I definitely remember the big cave with the fire jets that you have to navigate with the lizard being particularly annoying at a few spots. Still, the notion of a "weak" player-character and needing the help of the animals was a fun touch.

A new game with higher visual fidelity (and another ace Shimomura soundtrack, of course) could make for a wonderful experience nowadays, but sadly I don't expect that to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
In a way, Little Nemo was like an early version of Super Mario Odyssey. Through Cappy/candy at random stuff and see what you can turn into.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Fucking loved this game.

I...may have seen the movie when I was younger, but I dont remember.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
This game is so fucking godlike. I had a ton of NES games as a kid but this one was of my favorites; really with there was a way to get it now aside from the OG cart or emulation

Early on you meet a pedophile clown named Flip who tells you how to give candy to the animals. He's a holdover from the more blackface-appearing character from the comic strip.

wait, lolwut

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I only knew one rental place that carried this game. It's one of those games I rented time and time again. I didn't really understand what to do in games at the time so I probably never even saw the 3rd level. Even though I never owned the game, memories of Little Nemo crop up whenever people talk about the NES

curlycare

Oct 27, 2017
gFAEA.jpg

Just found this beauty while visiting my parents house. My favourite NES game ever, I should clean it up and see if it works.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I also still have the game from when i was a kid. Great memories. I remember when we picked it up and drove home.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I clicked on this thread, the NES game has been a favourite of mine for almost 30 years, but for some reason I'd never heard of the arcade game. Will have to look into that.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's one that's been on my "to do" list for years. I already own the game so I can just pop it in and go, but it just never happened yet. Who knows, maybe this thread is just the motivation I need.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
So, turns out this thread did indeed motivate me, so I played it this afternoon.

It really is a great game. Almost every level is completely different from the last, the music's pretty good and it's got a decent challenge. I didn't manage to finish it, I made it to the second part of level 8. After dying a bunch of times there I looked up if the game had a level select and apparently it does, so I called it quits there and I'm gonna try again soon.

More games should have diversity like this game does, looking for keys in levels is fun, but they don't overdo it, some levels just plain hand out the keys you need and the last level is just a more straightforward level with bosses and everything. Then there's the mini-Metroid levels where you have first use certain enemy disguises to get to otherwise unreachable places and so forth till you can get to the end. It really is quite impressive how they maage to not repeat themselves.

Also this game might have my new most hated enemy: those white seeds that float down while homing in on your ass, Jesus those guys are aggravating!

Still though this is definitely a classic from the 8-bit era and I'm glad I finally played it.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
So why did this gem never get its own remake or sequel ? Do you think the Little Nemo licenses (if any left now) could be a problem for Capcom ?

This is as magical to play as the best Nintendo games, and from start to finish. Such an underrated game and underused franchise.