• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
www.kickstarter.com

Little Nemo and the Nightmare Fiends

An indie game based on Winsor McCay's groundbreaking comic strip. Coming for Nintendo Switch and Steam!

Gm1hJun.jpeg

The game plays like Shantae or Demon's Crest with a splash of Little Samson. From Nemo's bedroom, players enter the dream world; forests, palaces, the night sky, ice caves, and a twisted funhouse await. Using character's unique powers, players uncover each dream's secrets to grow in power and defeat the Nightmare Fiends once and for all.

Features

• Take control of 4 characters on your trip through Slumberland! The brave Nemo, the magic-wielding Princess, the mischievous clown Flip, and the agile royal guard Peony - an original character created for this game!
  • Each character has unique ways to attack and explore. Players can switch between them quickly to create powerful combos and find hidden areas!
  • Wake Nemo up and explore his house, featuring rooms with hidden items, artifacts to make your characters stronger, and production artwork!
  • Explore surreal environments based on episodes from the original Little Nemo comic.
  • Features gorgeous hand-drawn animations as a tribute to animation and comics pioneer Winsor McCay

This is a property that should have seen more games, already, and judging by the early WIP video on the Kickstarter this will hopefully be a fitting addition to the legacy. One to keep an eye on, I think.

Full disclosure: I casually know one of the guys working on this but have no stake/influence in the game. I'm a regular ol' backer.

Last edited:

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Mhmm I noticed the animation want to mimic the pre-cell era style. Which make sense considering early short made by McCay like Gertie the Dinosaurs lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck! I loved Little Nemo on NES growing up. Huge game for me.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Little Nemo the Dream Master was one of my favorite games growing up so I was initially very excited for this but I gotta say... not loving the art style :/

I mean, I get that they're going for authenticity, but it's not clicking for me. I think the very thin outlines on characters and backgrounds combined with the next to non-existent shading makes for a very drab look.

Hopefully this is just because it's so early in development and it'll improve greatly going forward!

Have some wonderful Nemo music:

Also, though they mentioned feeding candy to a frog, I want to be able to ride on/get inside* a variety of animals, dammit!

*if you've played the NES games, this will make sense to you. otherwise, ignore it

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Dream Master on the NES (one of the best games on the platform), and the arcade game was pretty good too, so interested in this. Hope it runs smoothly, need to investigate and see if it's worth backing.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Little Nemo the Dream Master was the first game I spent my money on. My mom made me put it on layaway at Bradlees and I went in every week and paid my allowance money until I could officially own it. Taught me a major lesson.

I adore the Original game, JUST watched the animated movie two weeks ago (still pretty good!) and I love the original comics.

BIG fan. I hope this is good!

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the art style/visuals even if I know they're doing it for authenticity. The NES game was pretty fun back in the day, but fairly hard IIRC.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I loved this game on the NES.

Last edited:

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting, I'm always fascinated by LIttle Nemo, because the old comics were so Out there, even for decades after they were released there was nothing like them in newspapers or otherwise. The game was my first intrduction as well, being incredibly hard, and such a departure to other titles I was playing as a child.

Eventually finding and watching the movie was pretty interesting as well, some great visuals and I never put 2 & 2 together that it was the same property as the game.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I find the animations really off. Same for the artstyle.

Always makes me wonder what the Ghibli Nemo movie could have been.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017