• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Ashodin

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
4xv03l80nSAyi-fIe-jRC9PSDTWTOzs-Ivos-FkCREGFSl0bRtPyruw_hyohmYstQdCbvym8YBlaOBGeroIeSxE9V_At3yiArvGmfjDIGQ

Loved this show, such a good cast! I was so sad when they cancelled it.
Zoie Palmer is by far one of the best parts of the show and one of my favorites.
I'd know Roger R. Cross's face anywhere

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Farescape? And even then it was a joint production iirc. And now I really want to watch it again
Talon... straburst

I got an unexpected reaction to reading that spoiler. Random shivers.

Show was amazing but is also hard as fuck to recommend to people. Like if you try to explain the series they basically do every single bad scifi trope out there and it doesn't help that the second episode is straight up terrible/worst episode in the series but damned if it didn't go places and make good on it's story.

94Dp3iO.png

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly many Babylon 5 mentions, I was hoping it was still well-known enough to not appear here. It's my favourite fiction TV show of all time and I just finished watching it once more. First season is rough especially if you are watching it for the first time but you should start to see the potential towards the end of the season. I hope it finds new audience with HBO Max although JMS probably won't get a penny from that - TV deals were rough in the 90s even for show creators.

On that note, another JMS show Jeremiah was mentioned once so far and that's another favourite for me. It had tremendous potential but didn't quite get there. It had a five season arc planned but Showtime pulled the plug before second season begun so they at least had some episodes time to adjust, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

Dark Angel has not been mentioned yet. Yet another show with tremendous potential. It too was cancelled, but they got the chance to create proper ending with James Cameron directed final (extended) episode. It was quite unlike anything I had seen before when it started airing, completely hooked me and I still love it to this day.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I want to say Farscape. It can't say Farscape because it's too well known, but I also don't think enough people have seen it. One of the most satisfying shows created that gets better every watch. Despite not having everything down from the beginning, they take ideas from previous episodes and imagine how the story would shift if that had been planned from the start. What you get is something cohesive with retroactive foreshadowing that not just works, it elevates it.

There are two shows I always think about, and it will be very confusing for most people, but they are Faracape and Pretty Little Liars. Both start off as shows steeped in their respective genre despite hints of something else, before blasting off mid season 2 with a few missteps here and there. Pretty Little Liars does not have that same cohesion and ultimately includes some truly terrible choices, but I'd argue it's no less ambitious. Both are incredibly fascinating from a production and creativity standpoint, with one of the leads of both attempting to add their influence from the other side of the camera: one writing, one directing.

You can even say it's got elements of sci-fi considering there's an episode where they introduce a hologram and everyone just accepts this as normal despite the 2010ish time period. This is the only picture I could find of it, but the text is appropriate.

pretty21.jpg

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Alien Nation. New crop of Fox execs killed it even though it was popular at the time. Lots of people were mad. Good show.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
7-days-53f37cacb5e9b.jpg

A lot of our 90s kid shows are pretty good.
Journeyman

And don't know about it being too sciFi, but did people watch Early Edition? I really enjoyed it, never saw the conclusion though. If any.

Sliders was good, but pretty well known.

Seven Days and Journeyman definitely fall into the "good but relatively unknown" category.

Other shows that I would include on the list:

The absolutely FANTASTIC TV adaptation of 12 Monkeys. It's a lot newer than these other shows, but it seems to have flown completely under the radar. Seriously, check this one out.

12-Monkeys-HD-Background.jpg

The BBC show Primeval was a lot of fun.

primeval-580a2d3c62d43.jpg

As was Terra Nova (sadly this one only lasted one season).

terra-nova-tv-show-wallpapers-1680x1050.jpg

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Specifically the 1995 renewal. As an anthology series it was wildly variable, but the best episodes absolutely shone.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of great stuff listed in the thread, some more known (The 4400, Continuum, Earth: Final Conflict) to the less known (Freakylinks, Odyssey 5). For one that hasn't been mentioned yet I'd say Threshold (2005). Starring Carla Gugino and also (among others) Brent Spiner and Peter Dinklage. To quote the wiki, "the series focuses on a secret government project investigating the first contact with an extraterrestrial species", with the title Threshold being the name of the first contact plan (then Foothold, then Stranglehold). I guess I don't know how well it holds up though, haven't seen it since it aired on tv.

threshold-poster-md.jpg

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Also forgot this one - The City the City based on the novel by China Mieville. About a murder in two cities occupying the same physical space on top of each other.

Screen-Shot-2018-04-06-at-10.50.25.png

Aug 1, 2018
Farscape is my jam, so I'm glad it's been mentioned already.

I used to really like Andromeda, although Kevin Sorbo being the lead has pretty much killed any desire for me to rewatch it recently

andromeda

And of course Red Dwarf (although I don't know if it technically is "little known")

130882_widescreen.1.jpg

TRS8088

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I mean I loved Cleopatra 2525 back in the day because I was a horny teenager, but the show itself wasn't that good. The main character was an exotic dancer frozen after a breast augmentation surgery who wakes up in the year 2525. Wackiness ensues.

cleopatra-2525-jennifer-sky-gina-torres-victoria-pratt-complete-series-dvdbash03.jpg

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
MV5BMjliMTVlNjYtMjMzNS00YTM0LTkwMmMtZjFmZGEyN2RjZjQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5NDQzNTk@._V1_SX178_AL_.jpg

I remember quite liking this show. Haven't seen it since it aired, though.
This show taught me that "Nimrod" was the name of a god of the hunt, so calling someone "Nimrod" used to mean that they were a really good hunter. From which I proceeded to learn that it only became an insult because children didn't get the reference when Bugs Bunny used it sarcastically on Elmer Fudd. Not blaming children for not getting such an obscure reference, but the change in meaning can make some older works a bit odd.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I see a couple like minded individuals have also mentioned Killjoy, but it never hurts repeating. A full 5 seasons that had a planned ending also don't hurt. Love this show.

119079752.jpg

12 Monkeys and Terra Nova also get a shout out.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Room is one of my favourite mini sci fi series of all time.

Wonderful concept and concise storytelling.

When I first saw it I was learning how to laser cut and made my own key fob from the show (iykyk)
81+NIszPSqL._RI_.jpg
Strong approval of this one. The show felt a bit like it was a Stephen King idea (right down to how it fell apart at the end :) )
Damn you took the words right out of my mouth. Featuring Mahershala Ali before he made it big.

Definitely second The Lost Room as well.

So pleased to see The Lost Room mentioned. I remember being obsessed with this when I first saw it, and I wish it could've been made into a full show or had some bigger realization of the idea. There was a period of time where I was convinced I'd made the whole thing up, since no one seemed to have ever heard of it and I'd forgotten the name for a time. I couldn't tell you if it still holds up, but I really enjoyed it at the time.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I want to watch this but my partner hasn't seen the movie. Does it make sense to see the movie first or go in without that context?
You can watch this without watching the movie. It stands alone. Basically an adaptation of that story with changes, some of the characters gender bend in some cases, and expanded into the TV series. Watch the movie after the show if you like. But yeah, not necessary and maybe more enjoyable if you don't watch the movie before watching the show.

Nerdcy

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really little-known but very rarely spoken about these days.

SeaQuest DSV.

I loved it when it first came out. I'm kinda scared to watch it again because I suspect the nostalgia goggles are doing a lot of work.

Anyone watched it with modern eyes?
I loved that when it came out. But like you I highly suspect that watching it in 2021 would find lots of problematic elements.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
OP, you nailed it out the gate. Lexx is one of my all time favorite sci-fi shows. Caught a random episode of it way back in the day when it was originally airing, and was hooked instantly. it's just so weird and unique, even for sci-fi there's very little like it. I think everyone who wants something unique should give it a try, though keep in mind the budget isn't the highest since it was a late 90's/early 2000's cable show.

Oct 30, 2017
Alright, I dont' think that I've seen this one posted yet, took me ages to remember what it was called, and still nobody believed me it was real.

9fyNpTrUtCELV4GdSsCZoL0AQn-7VP3LLap7ALy_aZ2wtdbQ1x1uiO_VJ6UoklQyF2a_LVpU3MK8S_aHlPNPz7Ktx-BtXc3CcKCq6pm7-cqeHqWBwZ_rrtHTejU7

I present the titular character of the generically named "Super Force."

An astronaut comes back to Earth after being in space, and everything ahs gone to ruin, so he kits out his space suit with super weapons and fights to take back the streets... or something. It was like 30 years ago, I don't remember. All I knew was it gave off a Robocop/ Metal Hero vibe and I was down with that.

The wikipedia entry reveals some serious head scratchers in casting for the time as well. Seems a lot of episodes are uploaded on Youtube should you wish to subject yourself to it. I doubt it's aged very well, or was very good to begin with- I just dug the armor!

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Hypernautslogo.jpg

I remember watching this at night when I was a kid (not sure if on the Sy-Fi channel or USA network).

I liked it a lot, but I thought it was just a three episode mini-series and I couldn't recall the name of the show until a few years ago.

Apparently it had more episodes, but it was eventually canceled.

I remember this! IIRC it was doen by the same company who did the cgi for babylon 5 and essentially kitbashed together cg models in order to create network tv quality cgi for a kids show.
In the animated department I want to bring up Exosquad. I remember it having a pretty good serial storyline (probably some big anime influences), some pretty good scifi/space opera.

It was directly designed by the creator to be a western equivalent to Gundam (only while gundam was focused more on the pacific theatre of war withwhcih the japanese would be more familiar, Exosquad was patterned directly after the western front.)

Glad those two got mentioned. That was my childhood. But y'all are forgetting one of the best space operas ever to grace the small screen:

War Planets.

Tell me that ain't the hypest shit you ever seen.

OP
OP
Ashodin

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
OP, you nailed it out the gate. Lexx is one of my all time favorite sci-fi shows. Caught a random episode of it way back in the day when it was originally airing, and was hooked instantly. it's just so weird and unique, even for sci-fi there's very little like it. I think everyone who wants something unique should give it a try, though keep in mind the budget isn't the highest since it was a late 90's/early 2000's cable show.
I'd call Lexx Dark Gothic Sci Fi

Like Warhammer 40K wouldn't be out of place in this universe

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Space: Above and Beyond is definitely my pick. I don't remember any bad episodes and the good ones are really good from what I remember, including one where the main cast is marooned on an occupied planet and have to hold out until evac arrives in the morning. The final episode doesn't pull any punches, either.

I'm not exactly sure I'd call this a favourite, but I remember being really into Harsh Realm, the show Chris Carter worked on after Millennium. A soldier gets recruited to enter a virtual war game and take out the warlord that rules it, a fellow player and officer named Santiago. It only managed to air three episodes before it was cancelled, though nine were shot.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
no way this shit was little-known... right?

Well, the only other person that know this show that i know outside of the internet is my brother who discovered it with me. None of the others have ever seen it. Even the big sci-fi nerds. So, yeah, i'd say it's not well known. At least in France, it's definitely not well known, while we where drowned by Stargate and constant rebroadcasts.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It only got 1 season, but Invasion was pretty awesome. My wife's not the biggest sci-fi fan but even she got into this awesome Body Snatchers-esque show.

invasion1.jpg

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Imma bookmark this thread. Lots of good stuff from my childhood and a lot I have never seen before.

Keep em coming.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the little known sci fi shows that I kinda like and remember. Here are some that might not have been mentioned before in the thread.

Journeyman
QU6reci.png

Forever
boqPd1Y.png

The Collector
O9GO9F2.png

ReBoot
rbEPHbI.png

Some older ones like

Early Edition
HtvLh9i.png

My Secret Identity
Ku3gHS4.png

cyrix

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this one was mentioned yet, but Total Recall 2070 is my absolute favorite little-known sci-fi show. It was from 1999 or 2000 and I caught it on syndication when I think it was CBS that used to show it on weekends at like 1 in the morning. It actually felt more in common with Blade Runner than Total Recall.

HUGE SECOND for Total recall 2070!

it does feel more like Blade runner, makes me wonder if there were plans to make a kinda PKD connected universe happen over time, but the show only got one season.

It was really just like a year or two to early, it literally premiered on Showtime 5 days before The Sopranos! The world (or at least the US) hadn't accepted prestige TV yet.

Seriously people if you are into harder sci-fi and specifically blade runner at least thematically it's at least worth watching as a truly little known/obscure bit of great sci-fi!

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
+1 for Total Recall 2070

In a dystopian future, Britain is under the grip of the Home Office's Public Control Department (PCD), a tyrannically oppressive bureaucracy riding roughshod over the population's civil liberties.

The Last Train

A group of commuter train passagers are put in accidental suspended animation and emerge years later into a devastated world.

Invasion: Earth

In the lonely Scottish highlands, a small band of military personnel fight a desperate battle against a formidable alien intruder to prevent an invasion of the Earth.

anamika

May 18, 2018
What I learned from this thread is that a lot of good science fiction shows got cancelled early or after a season :(

It sucks that genre/science fiction shows don't do well in terms of ratings/audience numbers.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
The BBC show Primeval was a lot of fun.

primeval-580a2d3c62d43.jpg

I agree that Primeval was lots of fun, but a small correction. It was an ITV show, not BBC. It was commissioned to compete against Doctor Who after the BBC tapped into a thirst for a Saturday prime time family drama.

As for me, I'd say BBC Three's The Fades and In The Flesh were fantastic dramas that nobody watched. The Fades getting cancelled after just a season still makes me bitter.