• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, another one, Baywatch Nights, but only season 2 where it basically became X-Files

OIP.JfRsvlACweBTYVvn7ezfHgHaK5

Seriously, watch the season 2 promos

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
I can barely remember the details but there was this aussie show called Spellbinder. I haven't seen it since the 90s all I can recall was some kid getting transported to an alternate version of Australia where these people have suits that let them shoot electricity projectiles.

Loved Spellbinder when I was a kid. Looks like season 1 and 2 are on Youtube.

Dec 25, 2018
Babylon 5, shame it doesnt seem to be on any of the streaming services.

Probably doesn't hold up at all but I remember back in the day liking Galador which could probably be best described as a mix of a kid-friendly Farscape and Ben 10 (years before Ben 10 was a thing). Whats funny in hindsight, despite having some of the figures It wouldn't be until years later that I caught on that it was a Lego property.

There was also a show that used to be on BBC i think, it had time travel, the main dude lived in the future where everyone lives in underwater cities, he find himself traveling back to the present day. The big twist at the end was that his mentor-turned villain turns out to be him from the farther future.

For Animated Sci-Fi shows there was The Big Guy and Rusty (think it ended on a cliff hangar where it was revealed there was one more locutus-looking robot wandering about).
Captain Scarlett (The old and the CG one) and Stingray were favourites as well but I don't know if they would classify as little known (maybe compared to Thuderbirds).

Avaran

Oct 26, 2017
MV5BMjliMTVlNjYtMjMzNS00YTM0LTkwMmMtZjFmZGEyN2RjZjQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM5NDQzNTk@._V1_SX178_AL_.jpg

I remember quite liking this show. Haven't seen it since it aired, though.

I did not have to post this, yay! Same here, saw it every week as it first ran. Problematic with early CGI for a creature so much on camera, but I was very fond of Nim and the promise of the last few episodes. Then it was cancelled after a cliffhanger and no amount of write-in-campaign could conjure a Serenity to close it off...

Oct 28, 2017
I would also like to recommend :

81Bt2TZIzcL._RI_.jpg

The Middleman was more than GREAT.
I don't know how to describe it, though. Kinda like an American Doctor Who but more comedic? Full of heart, just a fun watch, a single season. I'm pretty sure it does not end on a cliffhanger, but it's been almost 13 years.
It's a real shame this show wasn't more popular. It was on ABC Family so I'm sure that didn't help, but it was awesome.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned Sliders which is what I came for. Fun show (tho I'm remembering the last season was annoying? ) Maybe u need a rewatch

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Damn, this post triggered a chain reaction in my brain. I randomly watched an episode of this as a child back in the 80's and it really made an impression on me, I spent the following years thinking about it frequently but never managed to catch another episode.
This was completely burried in my memory until I saw your post, I knew right away what you were talking about, now I'm watching the first episode on youtube. I spent years wondering what happened to those people that were being taken and actually had nightmares.
Yeah I remember being annoyed they never bothered to finish the adaptation. I misremembered about the medieval stuff; looks more like 1940's.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
latest

X-men show in all but name, their Professor X even turned out to be a dick

51WEQNQZRXL._AC_SY445_.jpg

617QNAxW46L._SY445_.jpg

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
I remember seeing Lexx, but it was called Tales From A Parallel Universe on the viewer guide. It was on Showtime sometimes and Sci Fi other times. I never knew what was going on because I have never seen the first episode or really any episodes in order. I think the show did a good job of capturing the emptiness of space.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Farscape is already posted and that's all that matters.

So here is Alien Nation. Salt water death, males have children's, what more could you want.

e2-aQvfudZ6HccLr5WdJdkxEyKW9DufF6FX6LYF6H4Su4URZwiLOU5ID5d9yMsOu2pYBmFs9BYFuOdyZ3scGZ6JMJjbw3Jir5HDSu6bQbwHtbvCNbCm5_-BbR0CdG8RY

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk if it's little known, but Future Man on hulu is one of my favorite shows. not many people talk about it, considering the quality.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I remember liking Earth2 back in the day. I'm not sure if it would hold up these days. Lexx was weird as hell but it had it's moments. I remember the bad guy of the show at some point was armada of flying arms.
I was wondering if anyone else would mention Earth 2 or if I was the only person who even remembered it existed.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Nation - A spin off of the movie, where not Mick Jaggar and Sam Francisco solve alien crime.
SyFy-To-Reboot-Alien-Nation-TV-Series.jpg

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
You got that fav that no one seems to talk about any more that's actually a gem if you watch it?

I got two

Lexx_Logo.jpg

Go into this one blind and an open mind. Lots of wild stories, one of the best characters in Sci Fi (Kai) and one of the best episodes (The Musical)

Lexx, oh Lexx. How weird and how wonderful it was. I should watch it again someday.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Came in to say Alien Nation and I'm happy to see it mentioned.

Lexx is such a bad show that it's great. So over the top and corny. The original movies, called Tales from a Parallel Universe, are much better than the show at riding that "so bad it's good" balance.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Space Above and Beyond was soo good. Definitely could've used a second season

Jericho as well, would've preferred a third season over thr comic book stuff.

Are we counting V as well ?

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
The Tripods a BBC series from the 1980's. Humanity is enslaved by eponymous alien Tripods and live in medieval communities. Would make a solid remake imho.
Yeah I was gonna post Tripods as that seems legit little known in the US, I remember watching it on PBS and liking it a lot but also I was young and haven't watched it since so no idea how it holds up.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of good shows in this thread. I loved Journeyman (loved the episode where he lost his phone), Time Trax ("Transmission tones, Selma!"), Sliders (until it got bad), and Seven Days.

Allow me to humbly submit Otherworld:
MV5BZDQwOWI0ZDQtZDdiNC00ZGZlLWFhNGYtNzI4NjQxZDM1M2ZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

A family enters a pyramid during a solar eclipse, and is transported to some other... world. This other world is divided into different zones, each run by a different style of government. The family immediately finds themselves in trouble with the law, and on the run.

And another favorite of mine from long ago, Photon:
16508149_1201853073268880_102666951299229963_n.jpg

Photon (the toy) came out just before Lazer Tag, but didn't have the same buzz. It did, however, have a TV show to market it. Average high schooler Bhodi Li gets recruited by the Photon Warriors to fight against the forces of darkness. Pretty bad by today's standards, but surprisingly decent for a kids show back then.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How about going way back? Any love for Kolchak: The Night Stalker where the dad from A Christmas Story is a reporter who always has run-ins with the paranormal?

71lmZ1qmvHL._RI_.jpg

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
In The Flesh was a brilliant show on BBC3 that I'm sure no one else watched. Premise is that you can cure the disease, but the person looks the same despite regaining their old persona. It's set in a small town where ex zombies are being put back into their old communities, very low key, serious and personal. Really, really good.

images

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
OTHER SPACE.

Truly the most underrated sci-fi comedy. It's a low budget ensemble cast created by Paul Fieg, featuring a STELLAR cast that includes Pillboi from The Good Place, the taxi driver from Deadpool, the AT&T girl, the creator of MST3K, and the voice of Crow T. Robot.

The show starts out a but slowly, but by the end of the first episode you'll have a grasp on the kind of comedy the show brings. I rewatched it recently and found it holds up extremely well. Some of the jokes are laugh out loud funny, and it's EXTREMELY stupid.

Here's a promo, and here's the first episode.

Deleted member 20155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One other that popped into my head:

513VY1gNcgL._RI_.jpg

Dark Skies - X-Files rip off once the X-Files became popular. In 1960s America, a young couple struggle to expose the truth about a hidden alien invasion, while a secret government organization follows its own agenda in dealing with the threat.
I haven't seen this since it aired but as an early teen with an X-Files obsession this was my favourite show whilst it was on. I still have nightmares with the ganglion things in.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Can't believe I forgot this one; a stop-motion Australian classic for kids from the 90s:

plasmo1rkj66.png

Best of all, the whole thing is up on Youtube.

Any idea if it still holds up? I remember it from my childhood (late 80s/early 90s)

It's been a while for me, but I think it holds up pretty well. The stories are all fairly timeless, and I think kids in particular would still connect with it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I forgot about Taken. It's probably known by many, but it's great.
MV5BMTI0NTI0NjAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTM3MTg5._V1_.jpg

Sanctuay for your basic Amanda Tapping fix as well as some always excellent Christopher Heyerdahl, or Todd as some may know him.
MV5BMTQ4MTI1NTQ3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI4Mjc5MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Oh, and Killjoys. Always killjoys.
MV5BZmEwN2I0NjktNDBmNS00MTgzLWI1ODgtZGY5NzM5ZDMyNjdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The GOAT: Earth Final Conflict.

earth+final.jpg

Season 1 is some of my favourite sci-fi out there. Show goes completely off the rails after that, but the general pitch of the show has always been real gud.

Alien refugees arrive on Earth and basically uplift us technologically, but also have an insidious plot to kinda-sorta enslave humanity. And the truth of it all is a lot more complicated than that.
Just a heads up, but last time I checked this was streaming for free on Plex TV. Pretty sure all seasons.

Oct 27, 2017
12 Monkeys - wonderfully written time travel show. 4 seasons and the writers planned everything - things that happened in the first few episodes of season 1 makes sense in the last few episodes of season 4. If you like Netflix's Dark, you will love this one.
AAAABV3sIo4ikXkIkDCY2vjtLpMJUY8vzSqn-EhzqaHfsO-ywV9kmC9Q3wMjXmfDynib9T-_zMoh2Q6AGID-BqRUafU0fOoa.jpg
I want to watch this but my partner hasn't seen the movie. Does it make sense to see the movie first or go in without that context?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
4xv03l80nSAyi-fIe-jRC9PSDTWTOzs-Ivos-FkCREGFSl0bRtPyruw_hyohmYstQdCbvym8YBlaOBGeroIeSxE9V_At3yiArvGmfjDIGQ

Loved this show, such a good cast! I was so sad when they cancelled it.
Zoie Palmer is by far one of the best parts of the show and one of my favorites.