• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've been to Bamco's previous headquarters in Shinagawa. It was this amazing pyramidal building with an enormous open area inside. This new one seems more run-of-the-mill, which is a bit disappointing, haha.

Nov 11, 2017
Hold up they don't take showers/baths in the am 😣😣. Imagine the smell on the floor from hygiene. I assume he does after work?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As turd as Electron may be, MS did a fantastic job making all of that disappear and empowering devs across many platforms to do a better job.

I've seen many people pretty much abandon many of the third party "IDEs" they used before across web, game and backend engineering, and share a similar work environment through Code.

I have no real allegiances to any IDE. I generally do not use electron (atom) or VSCode, though. When I'm on windows, I have an actual Visual Studio enterprise license (i've been using Visual Studio -- LEGALLY -- since Visual Studio 97, always shell out for a real license), when I'm on linux I tend to use QT Creator these days, mainly because I like how it handles the concept of a "project". In a bind, I'll use gedit or notepad++ and gcc/gdb/git/etc from a command line. All feel fine to me.

That said, I really do love intellisense.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of adorable that he comes home and is like "I'm gonna build this gundam for two hours". Really neat video, seems like the work-life balance at Bandai Namco is decent compared to some other Japanese companies (they weren't crunching though so who knows what it's like during those periods.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Code Vein bit was awesome. The director's like, hell yeah I'll push my game on your Youtubes! Let's go lol!

Makes me want to buy a copy right now.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
How does watching this make you feel like becoming a game programmer?

It seems a bit unsocial but comfortable.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
This was really cool! :D It reminded me of my time working in an office, except much nicer.

And haha, made me want to play Code Vein, become a programmer and build gundams. Very charming! Gonna watch a few others when I have time :D

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i just wanted to walk away at the -pc engine, never heard of it- part but overall fun video. Dude is doing fine. Kinda want to check out Code Vein now.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
As turd as Electron may be, MS did a fantastic job making all of that disappear and empowering devs across many platforms to do a better job.

I've seen many people pretty much abandon many of the third party "IDEs" they used before across web, game and backend engineering, and share a similar work environment through Code.
The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
How does watching this make you feel like becoming a game programmer?

It seems a bit unsocial but comfortable.
What? Dude hung out with friends after work and even has a work friend to eat lunch and game with. He's single, I assume, hence he has the evening to build gunpla.

This was probably the one video to really glorify the life of a game programmer.

BlueMagic

Jan 10, 2018
What's that thing he does with Windows desktops/monitors? He seems to be scrolling through them somehow and it looks comfortable as hell.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty happy. I thought all those devs that were crying about their six figure jobs said making games was a nightmare lol.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
LOL y'all realize that he doesn't just randomly walk up to the code vein and tekken directors right? They are advertising their games. Hence the reason Paolo is able to walk around and film in the first place.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
From 10 am to 7pm? Yikes, rough schedule. I also am a software engineer and we do 9-5 (or 5:30 in case work piles up) or if we're done with our sprint goals we can leave around 4'ish.

Pretty interesting video otherwise, loved that you can take naps and play games, in the office we just have foosball (which is great too).
This is my thought exactly. I love coming in early and leaving early....having to stay until 7pm and take a crowded train home sounds like a pain!

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
What? Dude hung out with friends after work and even has a work friend to eat lunch and game with. He's single, I assume, hence he has the evening to build gunpla.
Videos like this seriously annoy me. It is sold as a typical "day in the life" whereas it is not at all typical.

While it is not unheard of to spend time with friends on weekdays after work in Japan, it is super unusual and not the norm at all.

There is a government-recognised social problem of workers staying at the office for too long and this video ignores the fact that most people are under pressure to stay beyond 8 or 9pm at the office.

This video sweeps that issue under a rug and glorifies the idea of working for a Japanese company, which are otherwise notorious for dominating the lives of their employees.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Videos like this seriously annoy me. It is sold as a typical "day in the life" whereas it is not at all typical.

While it is not unheard of to spend time with friends on weekdays after work in Japan, it is super unusual and not the norm at all.

There is a government-recognised social problem of workers staying at the office for too long and this video ignores the fact that most people are under pressure to stay beyond 8 or 9pm at the office.

This video sweeps that issue under a rug and glorifies the idea of working for a Japanese company, which are otherwise notorious for dominating the lives of their employees.

the video even talks about how they often work unpaid overtime, but people didn't notice. Also, this is a friday. It's the weekend, hence why he goes out instead of coming home to immediately go to sleep for the next day of work.

And being able to sleep in your office isn't really a good thing. That's there to facilitate people literally living at their office, to cut out going home for sleep.

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
From 10 am to 7pm? Yikes, rough schedule. I also am a software engineer and we do 9-5 (or 5:30 in case work piles up) or if we're done with our sprint goals we can leave around 4'ish.

Pretty interesting video otherwise, loved that you can take naps and play games, in the office we just have foosball (which is great too).

10-7 is actually *kinda* good by Japanese standards - if you are guaranteed to be able to leave by 7pm. Most places will have 10-7pm as their core hours, which is when you have to be in the office or workplace. But, then plenty of staff do overtime or continue to work long beyond that. Which is fairly common.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
the video even talks about how they often work unpaid overtime, but people didn't notice. Also, this is a friday. It's the weekend, hence why he goes out instead of coming home to immediately go to sleep for the next day of work.

And being able to sleep in your office isn't really a good thing. That's there to facilitate people literally living at their office, to cut out going home for sleep.
Ah my apologies, didn't pick up upon the fact that it is Friday. Still, it is glorification since it is sold as "typical." And many people will be working late – or at least too late to spend a couple of hours at an izakaya with enough time left over to enjoy recreational activities at home – even on a Friday.

You are 100% right about the sleeping area. The fact is that it is accepted to sleep at your desk. The sleeping area is another example of sweeping the problems under the rug.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Seems pretty happy. I thought all those devs that were crying about their six figure jobs said making games was a nightmare lol.
6 figures? In Tokyo? lol!

Maybe if you're a senior software engineer with 30 years of experience and have committed your life to the same company or get an extremely lucky break with an idiot startup founder who likes to burn cash.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco would have to be one of the better ones (and Nintendo)? I expected much worse hours.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watch this particular video but I saw this Youtubers video about a Japanese salary man a few months back and it was the stuff of nightmares. It started innocent enough but then it got to the party about working past hours, spending time doing company obligations after work, and not making it home until like 9pm.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Paolo has a few other videos, tbh this is the most relaxed day in a life, because the others seemed gruelling, completely put me off Japan as a destination to live, work/life balance is horrendous. The Ramen shop and Mechanic account admin, whilst facinating was shocking.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no real allegiances to any IDE. I generally do not use electron (atom) or VSCode, though. When I'm on windows, I have an actual Visual Studio enterprise license (i've been using Visual Studio -- LEGALLY -- since Visual Studio 97, always shell out for a real license), when I'm on linux I tend to use QT Creator these days, mainly because I like how it handles the concept of a "project". In a bind, I'll use gedit or notepad++ and gcc/gdb/git/etc from a command line. All feel fine to me.

That said, I really do love intellisense.
Cheers QtCreator friend! XD
Coworkers have been using CLion for C++ development on Linux but I can't abandon QtCreator.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheers QtCreator friend! XD
Coworkers have been using CLion for C++ development on Linux but I can't abandon QtCreator.

Valve turned me onto QT Creator at Dev Days back in 2014. I actually had never used it prior to that because I thought it was somehow tied to the QT library.

Turns out it's a fantastic general purpose IDE. I actually use it for dreamcast development recently, here I am bending it to my will:

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve turned me onto QT Creator at Dev Days back in 2014. I actually had never used it prior to that because I thought it was somehow tied to the QT library.
They definitely have a problem in communicating people that it's a general purpose c/c++ ide. You're not the first to think it.

Turns out it's a fantastic general purpose IDE. I actually use it for dreamcast development recently, here I am bending it to my will:

It's really nice. I started using it in 2010 for desktop development because one teacher recommended me. Nowadays I use for embedded devices and it's really customizable. Recently I started moving from QMake to CMake.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They definitely have a problem in communicating people that it's a general purpose c/c++ ide. You're not the first to think it.

It's really nice. I started using it in 2010 for desktop development because one teacher recommended me. Nowadays I use for embedded devices and it's really customizable. Recently I started moving from QMake to CMake.

I still stick with plane jane make. I know why I should use CMake, and have dabbled with it when a few projects have forced me to use it, but never devote enough time to actually sitting down and learning how to make my own CMake scripts. I should fix that.

EDIT: All that said, I would never have been able to make heads or tails of QT Creator, or the more advanced functions of Visual Studio for that matter, had I not learned how to do everything by hand using makefiles and gcc. When I went through comp sci in college, they never actually explained how anything worked, how linkers worked, how to link a library. They would explain in steps how to do exactly the linking you needed to accomplish a project, but not how to, you know, understand what you were actually doing.

doing everything by hand with makefiles and gcc taught me how to use any IDE. Knowing the exact commands being passed to the IDE deep inside does wonders for comprehension.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Paolo has a few other videos, tbh this is the most relaxed day in a life, because the others seemed gruelling, completely put me off Japan as a destination to live, work/life balance is horrendous. The Ramen shop and Mechanic account admin, whilst facinating was shocking.
Hmmm...I thought the mechanic admin was pretty decent, she got home at like 6:30 and had the entire evening to herself. Job also seemed fine although she had to be part time maid on top of doing her admin work. But at least there was the company vehicle she could use to do errands.

The Sim card salary man was brutal: Clock in early because you had to be the first in the office over some bizarre junior employee custom*, run around the city the entire day, come back to office to do more work, run around some more, do more additional afterwork responsibilities and then get home at like 9:30. Just an hour or two before going to bed.

The ramen guy was at least somewhat understandable, food industry people sometimes seem like they do crazy hour anyway but at least he was the manager. The salary man was not even that high up in stature and his job seemed like hell.

I know many people on this forum think this kind of thing is admirable about Japanese work culture but there is nothing admirable about being forced to not have a "self" of your own outside of your work, just feels so exploitative. But if all you cared about is playing video games and reading manga then I can see why you'd be happy to put up with it I guess.

*I noticed there was a lot of this that I picked up on about Japanese culture in the other videos. The Manga creator one where they were in the restaurant meeting was interesting...