• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In what was otherwise an extremely diverse console reveal from Sony yesterday, this unfortunate fact slid under the radar for me and many others in what looks like a pretty great game. I'm disappointed now that it's been brought to my attention.

Seems like it's always something.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I thought the same thing when I saw it yesterday. I was hoping I didnt see what I thought I saw.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
This is a clear case of "How did no one during development noticed this was a bad design choice?"

Oct 27, 2017
Yeh, I was loving everything about the trailer until I got to that part. Definitely leaning into that old "savages" trope.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
This is a clear case of "How did no one during development noticed this was a bad design choice?"

Its a fairly small dev team (12), and if they are all from similar backgrounds and have a similar perspective, they may not have realized that these may be perceived as problematic caricatures. This is why diversity in development is important, though that can be difficult with small teams. In this case, Sony probably should have caught it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
As a person of colour, I get the reference...but I am not sure if this instance should be taken necessarily too seriously. for instance, you could say some of the tribal imagery in Zelda makes light of indigenous type iconography. But I wouldn't necessarily agree. Without more context, I consider this reaching

Also, yeah the masks bare resemblance to masks I have seen originating in parts of the African sub continent, which like many masks have exaggerated various features.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Caught it immediately when watching the trailer. Was definitely a bruh moment and it didn't really damper the interest that had been building, since I started the trailer not really caring about the game at first, but definitely not a good look, especially timing wise.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Ohhh.I did not notice the dreads at first. Yeah, that's bad. Hopefully they change it

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely reminds of African "generic tribal" designs. Whether that's a problem I will leave up to others, but I get why it could make someone uncomfortable.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I ignorantly didn't notice/subconsciously dismissed this detail at the time.

it's problematic for sure

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not great. It doesn't feel overt or intentional to me, but they should definitely address it.

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020

In what was otherwise an extremely diverse console reveal from Sony yesterday, this unfortunate fact slid under the radar for me and many others in what looks like a pretty great game. I'm disappointed now that it's been brought to my attention.

Seems like it's always something.

I think they look like tribal masks and I don't want to be too offensive but I don't see the problem...?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. They've been working on this project for 4 years now - perhaps longer, you'd think they'd get stuff like this right. (And Sony in the current climate by showing it while protests are ongoing)

Guys I loved the trailer and I'm looking forward the game but this

swDyrwn.jpg

Really looks like this

u9lxSmP.jpg

Which is another game, it's Below by Capybara

This is just an example but there are MANY other things quite similar in the UI...and by similiar I mean the same.

Am I missing something?
Add stolen art assets to the list of things this game is doing wrong. Gonna be a messy promotional cycle.

I think they look like tribal masks and I don't want to be too offensive but I don't see the problem...?
Implication that black people are tribal savages not obvious enough?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I caught that during the presentation. I was all "did I really see that?"

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that sucks. Wish we could move past these shitty tropes

Also, prepare for the same type of defence of this trash that cropped up in response to RE5's "tribal" enemies.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is this E3 2020's milkshake duck indie?

Yikes. And it looked good too. Shame it has to take the troubling whiteness from Wes Anderson's stuff in addition to the other influence.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Oh wow, this is hugely problematic. Hopefully an ignorant mistake that can be corrected rather than something that reflects the beliefs of the devs.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Noticed it when watching the stream, audibly "ooff"-ed when it popped up. Not great despite the game other wise looking interesting.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, it's like something right out of those old racist cartoons. Completely unnecessary and distasteful.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't notice it when I saw the trailer for it yesterday. Was the only game that really grabbed my attention too... Hopefully they'll acknowledge the issue and rework the design.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a person of colour, I get the reference...but I am not sure if this instance should be taken necessarily too seriously. for instance, you could say some of the tribal imagery in Zelda makes light of indigenous type iconography. But I wouldn't necessarily agree. Without more context, I consider this reaching

Also, yeah the masks bare resemblance to masks I have seen originating in parts of the African sub continent, which like many masks have exaggerated various features.
Are you black?