• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it seems like this website thrives off of perpetuating controversy where none should exist.
Calling it out now will spare the game further controversy upon release.

"Hey, slight issue, might want to fix that so the people that will be bothered by it might still buy the game."

how is it you cant see the issue but you can see a bunch of imaginary posts trying to cancel the game
Damn.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what we know of the game this could be a Percy Fawcett situation
This is specially funny considering how racist Fawcett was know to be towards Amazon tribes

''Hemming has documented Fawcett's "ugly racist notions about the Native Americans." Fawcett described one tribe he encountered as "large, hairy men, with exceptionally long arms, and with forehead sloping back from pronounced eye ridges — men of a very primitive kind; villainous savages; great apelike brutes who looked as if they had scarcely evolved beyond the level of beasts."

Fawcett was deeply conflicted about his suspicion that there might have been an earlier advanced civilization in the Amazon (a suspicion that, for all the wrong reasons, he was right about, although he himself never found anything to prove it). He could not reconcile this with his poor opinion of the Indian tribes, so he postulated the existence of "white Indians" who had somehow traveled across the Atlantic from Europe and brought civilization with them. ''

''He did advocate nonviolence toward Indians and disapproved of intervention with their way of life. He learned their languages and argued that the inhabitants of his "lost city" would have been capable of scientific feats on par with those of Europeans at the time. But he also referred to them as "ape-like," "jolly children," and he believed any advanced civilization in the Amazon must have had origins in European society. ''
time.com

The True Story Behind 'The Lost City of Z'

The mystery behind the movie about the disappearance of explorer Percy Fawcett

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Heck, this one has even the "stick to the nose" elements which has been widely used in racist representations.

And you know why? Becuase this kind of things is part of their culture and, as such, have to be respected.

What I think, though, is that in this very context they are not meant to be offensive (and yes, I'm writing this as a white person).

It would be offensive DELETING african warriors from a game set in Africa during the great expeditions because that could be offensive. THAT way you would actually make an offense to cultures.

You're really not seeing the difference between actual masks and a cartoon hyperbole?

I didn't even touch the Fawcett comparison. Lol

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
african-masks-function.jpg

Heck, this one has even the "stick to the nose" elements which has been widely used in racist representations.

And you know why? Becuase this kind of things is part of their culture and, as such, have to be respected.

What I think, though, is that in this very context they are not meant to be offensive (and yes, I'm writing this as a white person).

It would be offensive DELETING african warriors from a game set in Africa during the great expeditions because that could be offensive. THAT way you would actually make an offense to cultures.

As a fellow white person, I suggest listening to black voices when they tell you what's offensive to African culture.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Do I see an issue in a scene in which african warriors/hunters with battle-masks are attacking an explorer?

I mean... think about it for just a second.

What's the setting of the game?

From what we know of the game this could be a Percy Fawcett situation or a dream or whatever.

Again: THIS kind of "reactions" are very dangerous for all the BLM protest and movement because they move the focus from the heart of the issue and offers the flanks to critiques by people who opposes the protests and would like to maintain the status-quo.

Please, let's be cautious with this kind of "epiphanies".

Being critical of the design.....is very dangerous for the BLM protests?

Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

Then make the masks another color as well and it should be ok. I'm from Europe, so I may be ignorant here.

I forgot silly things like racism and cultural sensitivity don't exist in Europe, so your all good!

Oct 27, 2017
Do I see an issue in a scene in which african warriors/hunters with battle-masks are attacking an explorer?

From what we know of the game this could be a Percy Fawcett situation or a dream or whatever.

Again: THIS kind of "reactions" are very dangerous for all the BLM protest and movement because they move the focus from the heart of the issue and offers the flanks to critiques by people who opposes the protests and would like to maintain the status-quo.

I'll happily eat crow if I am wrong, but I would rather draw attention to the situation to find out what's going on, than sitting back and thinking of all the possible alternatives where it's a-okay black people are being portrayed as they are. Also, how is it okay if it's a dream?

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I think I can see that they we're going for some kind of tribal mask, but they uh really missed the mark.

I think they should scrap the design all together and redo it.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Lol this has nothing to do with BLM and the protest, no one is marching in the streets protesting this game.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I didn't notice that, guess it flew by quickly? That's really unfortunate but hopefully they address it/change it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

I am brown / mixed and very sympathetic to the cause. My own feeling is that we need to hold the powerful to account who are the greatest beneficiaries of making black lives cheap, which has given them their historical ill gotten gains and their cheap labour in the current times.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
african-masks-function.jpg

And you don't see the issue with the fact that the ONLY black representatives in the game are a bunch of typical savagery images that has been used throughout history to put black people down?
Did that thought never cross your mind or are you just not reading or listening to anyone but yourself?

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
This is specially funny considering how racist Fawcett was know to be towards Amazon tribes

Exactly. Regardless in that time it was unusual to have clashs with indigenous people during explorations.

(and yes, in large part due to the shitty things explorers did...)

Fact is: in the Great Expeditions years explorers encountered mask-wearing fighters. If this game recall those times, it would could include this people with battle masks.

If you say "delete them" you are just censoring them and I really do think that in this specific case it would be wrong.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Means the dev team is all white
Isnt...isnt the dev team based in South Korea though?

I kinda get the outrage about it with the whole masks, but the devs are real assholes and this just adds to the pile

But im actually surprised the game got any traction... the devs literally took money 5 years ago and now they are going back on backer promises ( no xbox version for a bit). They barely gave a dim of light about the game, and then disappeared , got a random publisher to give them more money. Now Sony is paying them more cash? I am not sure this game will even come out even with this trailer.

I would save the rage on this game cause by things are going.. i just dont trust them.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You saw a 2 minutes trailer of a game.
And given what you know about video games and the games industry do you genuinely believe there is going to be some wide range of black characters that offset this? Because I am telling you as a black person who plays a lot of video games that STATISTICALLY is very unlikely.

Also in that 2 minute trailer I didn't see any other group singled out into outdated imagery.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
As a fellow white person, I suggest listening to black voices when they tell you what's offensive to African culture.

Agreed. It'd be interesting to hear opinions from people living in the African nations where these masks are still part of their cultural heritage. I don't know if there are many here on resetera though.

I'd certainly like to hear what they say, because while I definitely can see the problem with the representation (especially if it's the only representation of black/African people in the entire game, which may very well be), this discussion kinda reminds me to others in the past involving video game/film representations of the Mexican "Día de los Muertos" tradition, which involves a lot of face painting, and how most of the people up in arms were (Mexican-)Americans, while Mexicans from Mexico were quite excited by the inclusion.

So it'd definitely be interesting to hear more perspectives about this, especially by the people who are primarily affected by these type of tropes.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it with people and jumping to be the first to be dismissive and tone police concerns? You can't take a second to just sit back and listen?

betawaychill

Jun 6, 2018
Yo it's nuts that people have to explain why this is insensitive and why it offends them personally.

Bottom line is, it fucking does. People who complain about these things aren't trying to shut down a video game company, they're trying to show those of you who don't see it that it's problematic. Some of y'all take it personally that this is being pointed out. Is it a huge problem to replace a model with a new design that doesn't offend people? Reading the pushback on this shit is blowing my mind lol.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Temporarily locking this thread while we review posts and reports.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is unquestionably a hurtful caricature rooted in centuries-old stereotypes. Downplaying or dismissing that will be moderated harshly. Thread reopened.

Oct 27, 2017
Bad look and they'll have time to change it. The devs might not have meant anything wrong by it, but i'm sure/hope they'll learn from their mistake.

Marl

May 22, 2018
I didn't catch that during the trailer but that is a massive yikes, shouldn't be too hard to change, not sure I'd feel comfortable buying this game if these sorts of representations are still in the game. Shame because the rest of the concept looks really cool. Sent the team an email expressing this so hopefully it can be changed and they can be better educated.

Last edited:

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Yep, that's shitty. It was a brief glimpse in the trailer and it still made me pretty uncomfortable.

It's way worse in the screenshot.

I'm a little surprised (not sure if that's the right word) that the desert variant of these enemies didn't look nearly as problematic...or at least they didn't appear to be from the trailer.

OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a moment. These are traditional african masks, used by various tribes for various purposes and also the real ones tend to exagerate the face traits in a grotesque way.

Please, don't transform this important protest movement into a witch's hunt because you'll devoid it of its most important values.

If you're genuinely accusing me of only posting this because I'm a prisoner of the moment, and not a black man who is always concerned about such things, I don't have anything to say to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I thought it looked cool except the weird britishhumoresque dude doing mundane things montage.

Then I saw this.

They should change those enemies, though. I might buy it if they do.
I want to like their game, but they're fighting me on it with this bs.

Wait a moment. These are traditional african masks, used by various tribes for various purposes and also the real ones tend to exagerate the face traits in a grotesque way.

Please, don't transform this important protest movement into a witch's hunt because you'll devoid it of its most important values.

Yeah when someone unironically says "witch hunt", that's a red ass flag.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I didn't catch that during the trailer but that is a massive yikes, shouldn't be too hard to change, not sure I'd feel comfortable buying this game if these sorts of representations are still in the game. Shame because the rest of the concept looks really cool. Sent the team an email expressing this so hopefully it can be changed and they can be better educated.

Well done, I'll try to reach them through Twitter.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any problem with the idea of tribal man hunting down an adventurer.
The problem is that they are made less than human. Caracatures using stereotypes of early British exploration.

The setting is coming from British explorations which was rooted in racism and nationalism. And to change it now to the traditional 1:1 fantasy races like goblins or orcs just plays back into the same racism.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a person of colour, I get the reference

As fellow a person of colour I think that you should shut the fuck up. You are not helping at all nor showing support for our fellow Black brothers and sisters. The caricature is racist full stop, it needs to be removed period.

but I am not sure if this instance should be taken necessarily too seriously. for instance, you could say some of the tribal imagery in Zelda makes light of indigenous type iconography.

Zelda is base on European fantasy which itself harbours problematic racism. Especially in regards to Gannondorf being base on Arab and yet is the bad guy or how dark skin equals evil or how Link and Zelda being chosen by the gods and are white.

This.

Is Aku Aku also offensive now?

21569346-16ff-4459-9dbd-e84942bf6be0.jpg

I know that you are banned, and rightfully so, but the Crash Bandicoot series does have a racism problem in regards to how Papu Papu is portrayed as it's the tried stereotype of a fat Polynesian, which is made even worse in the Crash Team Racing remake.

I didn't see that, and i think it is important that more people get sensitized about racial content.
I think chinese men with big hats and chopsticks would have been more recognised as racial content, and that is somewhat a problem.

But where lies the border that is not meant to be crossed?

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

and the tribal people in the other game not ok?

Indigenous/tribal people have been heavily marginalised not helped by the fact that all negative stereotype of them originated from pulp comics.

Any representation of them must be done in a respectful manner not present a false negative or racist image.

Ideally non-Indigenous/tribal people should not be using them in their games/story at all as they do not have the right as it is not their culture thus not their experience.

I noticed it on the second viewing and was disappointed.

Video games have a big problem with letting this shit slide. For example, here's a game on Switch that I unfortunately couldn't refund after I noticed what the enemies were:

Bomb_chicken_keyart1.jpg

Oh wow that blatant

Reminds me of LocoRoco's enemies. Made me feel a bit uncomfortable:

image_moja.png

Oh wow that's disappointing to see from a Sony game. Reminds me of the Kirby super star game and how the racist image was changed in the remake.

But yeah, it's not fun being non-white as you're always on the look out see if any image is racist or not and it just gets tiring.

What is it with people and jumping to be the first to be dismissive and tone police concerns? You can't take a second to just sit back and listen?

Sadly that's the problem with racist, especially gamers. They don't want to listen or really care.

It's kinda why I don't hang around here very often as I don't feel safe and I feel that the video game industry as a whole is just pushing me out. 😕

I don't see any problem with the idea of tribal man hunting down an adventurer.

Are you white. Do you not see how problematic, negative and racist that trope is? It plays on the idea that tribal people are "savages" for hunting a colonialist. There is no such thing as, what you call an "adventurer".

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not good at all and needs to be changed.

But please explain why no one here has asked for Crash Bandicoot to change or remove their caricature mask?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh wow that blatant

Oh wow that's disappointing to see from a Sony game. Reminds me of the Kirby super star game and how the racist image was changed in the remake.

All too common imagery in Japanese media unfortunately. It's gotten better but still pops up from time to time which just shows how influential this stereotype is globally.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could just read the thread.

I did.

No one has explained why these same posts weren't made throughout the Crash remakes.

I was 18 when Crash 1 debuted on ps1 and my uni friends and I all agreed back then the game was racist.

Everyone fighting for that same point for this game in the OP, where were you with Crash?

Oct 25, 2017
I did.

No one has explained why these same posts weren't made throughout the Crash remakes.

I was 18 when Crash 1 debuted on ps1 and my uni friends and I all agreed back then the game was racist.

Everyone fighting for that same point for this game in the OP, where were you with Crash?
You could just make that thread and start that conversation instead of using it as a gotcha?

Where were we? Where were you?

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to wait and listen before delivering your "I don't see it" useless hot take? Nothing will stop gamers from trying to be as intentionally ignorant as possible, I suppose.
I did.

What's the point in "whatabouting" this? How does that contribute at all?

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not good at all and needs to be changed.

But please explain why no one here has asked for Crash Bandicoot to change or remove their caricature mask?

I don't really know the context of that situation, I've never played Crash. My main issue is the fact that the protagonists belong to a civilized, seemingly, all white society, and the enemies depicted are savages in the form of African caricatures. Like, I think the context could be a a whole lot better if we see that this isn't this game's version of "black" characters.

But at the moment, white adventurers running around fighting off 'black' savages looks super bad. It's not just a mask issue.

Oct 30, 2017
This got me during the reveal as well. Which is upsetting because I had liked everything up until then! Urgh...the devs need to patch this out & need to do some introspection.