• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you need to understand that it is statistically speaking VERY likely that these will be the only instance of black characters in this game and said instance is going to be an outdated caricature of "savage" African culture.

This is what I was thinking, the trailer had zero black or dark skinned characters other than .... whatever those things are.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see that, and i think it is important that more people get sensitized about racial content.
I think chinese men with big hats and chopsticks would have been more recognised as racial content, and that is somewhat a problem.

But where lies the border that is not meant to be crossed?

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

and the tribal people in the other game not ok?

Your example could be argued to be appropriation. There is definitely some sensitivity around the topic of appropriation, and that is a very worthy topic of conversation. That being said, there is a HUGE gulf between appropriation (which is not used to mock or ridicule) and a racist caricature. One is substantially more offensive. This feels like whataboutism to me.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
bad concept is bad, they should remove it asap. in a fantasy world african tribals should not be mocked enemies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am not sure why the Horizon thread was locked, but between Devil and HZ Sony sure had a lot of games about colonialism to show. (JETT: Far Shore remains to be seen as well). "Forbidden West" absolutely calls to mind depictions of the indigenous west while the US empire was expanding.

Can we stop making colonial cosplay games?

I can't tell if serious or whether the matter of context has suddenly sublimated in these discussions. LDI casts a decidedly different picture than HZD in the way culture has been appropriated and/or modified.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 month): concern trolling on racial issues
Come on... all the models in this game are caricatures... aren't devs able to do tribals now or what?

Even the masks are caricaturing themselves... with another painted mouth with a blowdart

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Hopefully early enough to change it well. This game looked absolutely gorgeous.

I think you can totally do "tribal" characters well, especially with masks. You just have to stay more fantasy and avoid the obvious stereotypes like dreads, skin tone, and big lips.

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns around racism over a series of posts, account in junior phase
Developers can't do anything these days

Dec 30, 2019
I can't tell if serious or whether the matter of context has suddenly sublimated in these discussions. LDI casts a decidedly different picture than HZD in the way culture has been appropriated and/or modified.

I am completely serious. I think they both have issues and I would like their developers to address them and apologize.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I really want this game to happen so I hope the devs make this much needed change. Everything else about the game looked so good!

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Completely completely off topic, but what is status with Tunic? Is that game still alive?

hehe, currently my most antecipated game. yes it is! the solo dev keeps us updated on the Finji discord, currently not a date tho (but its coming to Xbox One so it shouldn't take much longer).

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I'm black, I don't identify with Africans because too many of them damn sure don't identify with us...

With that being said, these are masks. I get the argument against the typical black caricature and how demeaning it is, but these just look like some tribal masks you'd typically see in West African tribes, or Punu masks...

EDIT: Cameroon, Punu, Guro, Ibibio, etc...

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see the issue, but then again, I don't see the harm in a slight redesign if that makes everyone happy.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
I can see it being an oversight, but regardless they need to acknowledge and change it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ah yes, the old spear chucker/blowdart thrower jungle savage stereotype. You'd think it would be obvious that that's a bad idea but then again the main character seems to be some sort of big game hunter, that's quite tone deaf too.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing racism, History of Dismissal of Racism and Inflammatory Comments
I don't see a problem with the design. People are overreacting over nothing.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I do think it's an oversight. It's a very small studio in South Korea, so they may not even know this is offensive.

But it's easy to fix. Just change their skin color (make them red or green, like imps or demons) and the big, red lips and it's a lot better.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it on the second viewing and was disappointed.

Video games have a big problem with letting this shit slide. For example, here's a game on Switch that I unfortunately couldn't refund after I noticed what the enemies were:

Bomb_chicken_keyart1.jpg

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I hope the devs were just unaware, realize that caricature is a mistake, and then change it. It isn't a big deal at all if they fix the issue.

Developers can't do anything these days

It sucks. It used to be that developers could be as racist as they wanted to be... What an awful world we live in. Damn those evil, evil progressives!

/s

Oct 27, 2017
I do think it's an oversight. It's a very small studio in South Korea, so they may not even know this is offensive.

But it's easy to fix. Just change their skin color (make them red or green, like imps or demons) and the big, red lips and it's a lot better.

It is an easy change and the dev may have made a honest mistake. But more knowledgeable people from PlayStation must have seen it as well, how could they think this was acceptable?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see that, and i think it is important that more people get sensitized about racial content.
I think chinese men with big hats and chopsticks would have been more recognised as racial content, and that is somewhat a problem.

But where lies the border that is not meant to be crossed?

What makes this ok
h2.jpg

and the tribal people in the other game not ok?
Because the tribal people are not binary in terms of bad guy or good guy. There are tribal characters in Horizon who have names, personalities and motives that are not simply chucking spears.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Sad to see all the "I don't see the issue since they look vaguely like actual tribal masks!"

Never mind the fact they're the only black characters seen in the trailer, have dreads and exaggerated red lips.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am completely serious. I think they both have issues and I would like their developers to address them and apologize.

Yes, both do have issues but they are decidedly different. Horizon's appropriation has been modified to take a bit of everything, mix and mash it and distribute it among every tribe each comprising of folks of varying race and gender. The player, inhabiting Aloy, was an outsider to one of the tribes due to circumstances of her birth whilst still being part of the greater whole. Her role was not that of a colonist. So, the appropriations are deliberately haphazard and superficial.

Contrast that to LDI where there are juxtaposition of what seemingly looks like an adventurer from "Civilized and posh" Victorian/Elizabethan England is sent on a quest by his old english mentor to deal with encroaching threats. One of these threats are people, distinguished by their dreadlocks and masks, identifying them as one of African tribes- who IRL's history have been reduced to caricatures as "threatening Savages" that the white man brought enlightenment to (i.e. colonized them). So, the game essentially plays out the sequence from which caricatures have been derived and exploited in pop culture throughout the last few decades in tv shows, movies and games.

Last edited:

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it when an Asian studio creates something racially insensitive it's an 'oversight'?

BLM rallies are happening all across the world, South Korea included. I refuse to believe the entirety of the team saw this and decided it was okay to be in their game.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
As a person of colour, I get the reference...but I am not sure if this instance should be taken necessarily too seriously. for instance, you could say some of the tribal imagery in Zelda makes light of indigenous type iconography. But I wouldn't necessarily agree. Without more context, I consider this reaching

Also, yeah the masks bare resemblance to masks I have seen originating in parts of the African sub continent, which like many masks have exaggerated various features.

Are you black?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I don't think its intentional, but its something they need to address for sure.

It's an intentional part of the setting they chose to make this game in. The white Victorian civilized society and the savage African fetish folks? That's super intentional.

Maybe not intentionally harmful, coming from a place of privilege and ignorance, but still racist and harmful and needing to be addressed before I'm willing to touch this game. If they're that ignorant in the time we are in right now then I kinda doubt it's unintentional.