• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
It's such a delight to play the Ellie's section of the game again, with the knowledge of Abby's whereabouts and motivations. When you first encounter the Scars , you can overhear them talking about Lev and Yara's escape .

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Actually enough people missed it where I feel like ND messed up the playtesting in that section. That needs to read 100% of the time or the entire weight of the scene is diminished entirely.
But how can people fail to notice it when you see him clearly?
Maybe it was just me, but I knew the shooter had to be someone from Jackson, and then you have that flashback part with Ellie where Tommy teaches her to shoot over large distances, idk, it seemed obvious and that's why i was expecting Tommy to appear at the end.

Actually I was fucking scared that I would be forced to kill him lol.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
It's such a delight to play the Ellie's section of the game again, with the knowledge of Abby's whereabouts and motivations. When you first encounter the Scars , you can overhear them talking about Lev and Yara's escape .
Someone said to me that if you listen closely when you are in the hospital with the vita girl as Ellie then you can hear the Rat king faintly screaming in the sewers.
But how can people fail to notice it when you see him clearly?
Maybe it was just me, but I knew the shooter had to be someone from Jackson, and then you have that flashback part with Ellie where Tommy teaches her to shoot over large distances, idk, it seemed obvious and that's why i was expecting Tommy to appear at the end.

Actually I was fucking scared that I would be forced to kill him lol.
Also the fact that some WLF grunts are speaking of some outsider sniper in the marina during Ellie day 3, which Jessie quickly assumes is Tommy, leading them to split up. I feel like the set up was pretty obvious.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I don't even know how people can think it's anyone other than Tommy lol. Did they not pay attention when and why Jesse separated from Ellie :P

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
Someone said to me that if you listen closely when you are in the hospital with the vita girl as Ellie then you can hear the Rat king faintly screaming in the sewers.

Also the fact that some WLF grunts are speaking of some outsider sniper in the marina during Ellie day 3, which Jessie quickly assumes is Tommy, leading them to split up. I feel like the set up was pretty obvious.
That's interesting, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the timeline. By the time Ellie arrives at the hospital, hasn't Abby already cleared out the lower floors and left with the surgical kit ?

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
That's interesting, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the timeline. By the time Ellie arrives at the hospital, hasn't Abby already cleared out the lower floors and left with the surgical kit ?
I think they did just notice that Abby was gone when Ellie arrived since they question Nora about it, no idea on the exact timeline tho but I sorta got the feeling that they were there at the same time?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sully's plane.
ymygrip42tc51.png

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Actually enough people missed it where I feel like ND messed up the playtesting in that section. That needs to read 100% of the time or the entire weight of the scene is diminished entirely.
Not ND's fault that people arent paying attention

There's an entire scene dedicated to finding Tommy the Sniper when playing as Ellie. The ending of that scene clearly shows Tommy, as well as Abby finally realizing the dread of knowing Tommy followed/found her.

Maybe they could've give Tommy some words.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Not ND's fault that people arent paying attention

I think the original point still stands.

If this is such an important story detail (it's debatable, but some suggest it is) and so many people are missing it, it's fair to argue that maybe it should have been made clearer that the sniper is Tommy.

I thought it was him, but was never entirely sure. I don't think that detracted at all from my enjoyment of the story, so I don't care too much.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think the original point still stands.

If this is such an important story detail (it's debatable, but some suggest it is) and so many people are missing it, it's fair to argue that maybe it should have been made clearer that the sniper is Tommy.

I thought it was him, but was never entirely sure. I don't think that detracted at all from my enjoyment of the story, so I don't care too much.
They show him right there wrestling the gun on Abby. Like you see him.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sure, but it happens so fast I couldn't be sure it was him. It could have easily been just a random bearded guy.

Again, I did think it was Tommy, just wasn't ever 100% sure.
TLoU Part II revolves around approx 6-9 people - why would Naughty Dog set up a gameplay section to do with Tommy's proficiency at sniping and have Jesse leave Ellie to find Tommy after hearing reports of a Sniper at the Marina only to have some random nobody snipe at Abby? Even if you don't see him, which you do, and you don't read Abby's face at recognising him then the small pool of people the story revolves around would clue you in :D

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
TLoU Part II revolves around approx 6-9 people - why would Naughty Dog set up a gameplay section to do with Tommy's proficiency at sniping and have Jesse leave Ellie to find Tommy after hearing reports of a Sniper at the Marina only to have some random nobody snipe at Abby? Even if you don't see him, which you do, and you don't read Abby's face at recognising him then the small pool of people the story revolves around would clue you in :D

Sure.

But in my line of work, if one person doesn't get the message I'm trying to convey, it's because they weren't paying attention. If a lot of people don't get it, it's because I failed to get my point across.

I just get the impression that in this instance the latter could have happened, but only based on anecdotal evidence of some other people not getting that it was Tommy (or not being entirely sure).

I don't care enough about this enough to debate it further, anyway, especially when it concerns a game that I find to be almost flawless. Sorry for having derailed the discussion! 😅

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I've watched tons of let's plays and streams and only have seen either one or two not think it was Tommy. A lot knew even before getting to him.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I guess they could've lingered more om his face but I dunno the whole Tommy sniper thing was one of my favorite set ups in the entire game.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty obvious the sniper was Tommy if you're even vaguely listening to dialogue/watching cut scenes.

I'm pretty sure it went 100% exactly like this, when Jesse and Ellie arrive at the section to get the boat the WLF are all "OMG, reports of a sniper at the marina guys, we'll go check it out, the rest of you spread out and wander about and don't worry about any suspicious noises from the water, ok great, it's a plan" and Jesse and Ellie go "OMG that's Tommy!" and Jesse goes "OMG let's go help him out!" and Ellie is all "OMG, nah, fuck that I got shit to do yeah" and Jesse is all *serious face* "I'll go help Tommy then'" and Ellie goes "TOMMY" and Jesse goes "Tommmmmmeeeeee, I hope I don't get shot in the face at some stage"

And then you realise you're playing as Abby in parallel to Ellie and then it's all "OMG sniper at the marina!" and Abby goes "OMG, sniper, I'll go help out yeah, oh hey Manny" and then you go wait a moment, a sniper? At a marina? Here in Seattle? What a curious coincidence! Tommy was doing some sniping at a marina too, maybe it was a different marina! Those madlads, would have been better if this sniper had actually been Tom-WAITAMOMENT.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Naughty Dog are really good with physics in general, I was playing UC4 and noticed that metal bars react to Nate's swinging and hanging instead of just being stiff and rigid objects. I'm so excited to see what they can create for the PS5.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
LOL @ the toilet seat thing

More of an observation but adult Abby is always checking/stretching her shoulder as an idle animation.

There may be no reasoning behind it other than it looks cool but for me it came across as her being uncomfortable in her own skin. She built this body to kill the most unkillable dude in the world and now hes dead and shes uncomfortable with the price.
No she's just sore from working out. When she wakes up in the gym she just says "ow my neck". Soreness can last days when you work out a lot, it's completely normal.

Also I'll be real, I really don't like this insinuation that a buff woman would feel inherently wrong or uncomfortable in her body tbh. I see this talking point being parade around and there's zero indication of that. Feels like dudes projecting tbh

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

No she's just sore from working out. When she wakes up in the gym she just says "ow my neck". Soreness can last days when you work out a lot, it's completely normal.

Also I'll be real, I really don't like this insinuation that a buff woman would feel inherently wrong or uncomfortable in her body tbh. I see this talking point being parade around and there's zero indication of that. Feels like dudes projecting tbh

I dont think she is but I wonder if thats what ND was insinuating since an idle animation is a good chance at portraying a characters feelings. I remember the sore neck but it isn't the same as a sore shoulder and it seemed to be from shitty sleep not working out, all these characters go through hell in a daily basis so in theory they should all be stretching in their idle poses.

Either way I didnt mean it to sound like I was insinuating a negative portrayal of her, so thats a good point by you and maybe a blind spot for me so thanks for pointing that out.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020

Yeah, like it's pretty clear from the game that she enjoys working out and it's her main hobby besides reading. She was pretty excited to tell Owen about breaking her personal record. If getting swole was really only about getting revenge/being better at killing/fights I'm sure she'd be more neutral about lifting, rather than positive.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Oct 29, 2017
More of an observation but adult Abby is always checking/stretching her shoulder as an idle animation.

During the start of the game she falls down a hill landing on her shoulder and after a fight comments on it - https://youtu.be/yLC6_nfAEWk?t=2446
So probably a lingering injury from that.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Idk, I've watched tons of let's plays and streams and only have seen either one or two not think it was Tommy. A lot knew even before getting to him.

I've seen a lot of both. It's well foreshadowed, but if someone's invested in Abby's story at that point I can see why they don't connect the dots.

The scene works if you're not surprised but still don't want Abby to get shot, but watching the people who were surprised is incredible.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I really like how Ellie and Abby cock their firearms after a second or two of aiming. There are just so many little things that contribute to the highly immersive experience TLOU2 offers.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

they made it clear enough, i noticed as soon as they were giving him too much focus and remembered Tommy teaching Ellie how to snipe. when you see him in the distance his clothes are very noticeable also the thick beard and bun.

From O.C.Deidre's stream. The gate code here spells "Joel"

dammmn this is amazing