• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
Ellie will shield her eyes whenever she breaks a window (provided she doesn't have a melee weapon equipped )

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
I'm sure everyone has picked up on this, but it is implied that Shamblers originated from infected that nearly became bloaters- these infected became so water logged that they mutated and got covered in horrible pustules

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure everyone has picked up on this, but it is implied that Shamblers originated from infected that nearly became bloaters- these infected became so water logged that they mutated and got covered in horrible pustules
I love the details of those beautiful creatures. They're like some Lovecraftian/Bloodborne things.

cz4c_the_last_of_us™_part_ii_20200706101351.png

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Can you find a clip of this? I actually didn't notice this, which is why I felt like the fear of heights didn't add anything to her character. Since while playing, I didn't feel like she controlled any differently when high up or close to edges.

She doesn't control differently but the camera perspective will change when you look down from a high place with Abby. It changes to like a sort of zoomed out fish-eye lens effect and she also starts visibly shaking and is audibly frightened. Also, her face will show her fear with her eyes opening wide.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
She doesn't control differently but the camera perspective will change when you look down from a high place with Abby. It changes to like a sort of zoomed out fish-eye lens effect and she also starts visibly shaking and is audibly frightened. Also, her face will show her fear with her eyes opening wide.
Hm. I was trying to get something like that to happen, but I just never really noticed it I guess. I think it would have been cooler to have Abby perform worse when higher up. Like less accuracy with weapons. Mostly felt like the fear of heights thing was just a somewhat shallow way to add some complexity to her character.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can you find a clip of this? I actually didn't notice this, which is why I felt like the fear of heights didn't add anything to her character. Since while playing, I didn't feel like she controlled any differently when high up or close to edges.
If you look down at the edge of high up places the camera becomes distorted and Abby's stance and facial expression go from default to terrified.
You also hear her panting and quivering when she's near ledges, she's completely terrified. It's honestly very easy to notice IMO, I don't know how anyone could miss it.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Hm. I was trying to get something like that to happen, but I just never really noticed it I guess. I think it would have been cooler to have Abby perform worse when higher up. Like less accuracy with weapons. Mostly felt like the fear of heights thing was just a somewhat shallow way to add some complexity to her character.

I thought it was yet another thing added to help humanize her. Adding a very natural fear to an otherwise physically big strong character was a neat choice. Doesn't have to effect gameplay for it to add to her character.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I thought it was yet another thing added to help humanize her. Adding a very natural fear to an otherwise physically big strong character was a neat choice. Doesn't have to effect gameplay for it to add to her character.
Yeah, I get that. Like just creating a real weakness in an otherwise very strong character. But it didn't really pay off or help me feel like Abby was anymore real. She walks across some bridges and then falls down. But that's kinda the end of it.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I get that. Like just creating a real weakness in an otherwise very strong character. But it didn't really pay off or help me feel like Abby was anymore real. She walks across some bridges and then falls down. But that's kinda the end of it.

The thing is, this isn't restricted to that one sequence. She will have this scared reaction to heights at any point in the game if you look down.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Posted a couple of these in the spoilers thread but

- Ellie refuses to look at herself in the mirror at the farm once she returns from Santa Barbara

- Dina will start to hold her stomach once you get to Seattle. She also gets more exhausted the further into Seattle you go before you reach the theater

- Dina will take the book Ellie looks at, at the bookstore when she's not looking. Dina later leaves it in the theater and you're able to pick it up again.
God - Naughty Dog are just amazing.

This thread just makes me even more amazed at TLOU Part 2 - a game that is now up there as one of my favorites of all time.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018

Hmm, my bad, misread initially as for directly incorporated into gameplay, so sorry if that's what you're looking for. But anyway, if you (or others) didn't see the actual visual effect here it is:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Abby's model is so detailed you can even spot armpit hair

Interestingly Ellie doesn't seem to have any so that could be considered as some additional characterization.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Noticed when you go to the bank in seattle Ellie asks dina what she'd do in the old world with all that money, and Dina says she'd buy a big farmhouse.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
I think if you look down the ledge long enough as Abby she'll automatically move the camera upwards to stop looking down.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Wow those bullet fragments in the water.

And yeah, one of my favorite moments in the game was climbing the dinosaur. Probably one of my favorite gaming moments ever.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
after Santa Barbara with Ellie back at the farm, she is wearing Dina's bracelet. we can now imply she was back with her before coming back to the farm for her things.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
This is not really an in game detail and maybe I am just reaching. But I noticed during the credits, one particular frame looks like a moth, like the one on Ellie's guitar and tattoo.

youtu.be

The Last of Us 2 Credits

Big thanks to Sony Interactive Entertainment for sending me a copy of this game. *Game description* The Last of Us Part II is an action-adventure game play...

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
holy fuck, how did I not catch that. Thought it was just some random bearded dude.

Damn damn damn.
Yeah, the flashback scene with Tommy having Ellie snipe the stragglers sets up how he's a good sniper and in Day 3 they overhear some WLF talking about a sniper at the marina and Jessie correctly assumes it's Tommy.

Oct 27, 2017
The ending is perfect for me. I don't buy the idea that Ellie wearing Dina's bracelet means they're back together somewhere else (Jackson?). The entire return to the farmhouse sequence, to me, is about driving home what Ellie's quest for vengeance cost her; a happy, safe home, a family of her own, her ability to play guitar when music apparently is such an important thing for her.

It's telling for me that the whole farmhouse is empty and abandoned apart from the room full of Ellie's stuff. To me that implies Dina left and she did not want anything of Ellie to remind her that Ellie chose revenge over her and JJ. Ellie plays Joel's guitar one last time to drive home that she can't play it properly anymore and then puts it aside and leaves it behind, symbolically showing us that she is done on her quest to avenge Joel's death and she is aware of what it has cost her.

God I love this game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
i really love how as Abby is breaking into the theater .. she does so via a window thats open because of a power cable you previously put in place as elle .... so good. little touches like that make those types of activities live a second life down the road. environmental stuff you as the player set in place
The moment I saw that ladder and the window I knew trouble would get in through there. I would have put so many explosive traps if the windows have to be left open.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Maybe this was known but it never happened to me before. If a dog smells your scent and you go through a door and close it behind you, it will scratch at the door to get inside (instead of jumping through the window like it does when actively chasing you)

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Almost certainly mentioned already, but you can crack every safe without knowing the combination, thanks to the sound design

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I wish they'd remove is your companions ability to knock you out of cover. Happen quite a bit during my intial playthrough.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This thing keeps popping up every few days, and I do think it's a very weird reading of the events.

Like I said in another post:

She's not hurt when coming back to the farm because she's back from a multi-week trip from Santa Barbara. We don't know *exactly* what she did with all her heavy weaponry, but she most probably didn't see the need to haul everything all the way back.

Also, she's not that surprised that Dina is gone from the house because it wasn't surprising. She must have thought of the possibility. Who would be completely surprised by that, honestly?

It's clear Dina left alone. I mean... Ellie's stuff were literally just there in a separate room. That wasn't a coincidence. People are grasping at straws to make sure Ellie was happy when she wasn't. That was the point of the game. To show how much revenge can fuck up everything around us.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Couple more things:

When Tommy is sniping Manny and Abby, the sound of his gunshots is realistically delayed depending on his distance (you'll hear the bullet hitting first, then the gunshot).

In the theatre, Ellie bites Abby on the right arm, pretty much same place where she got bit.

Ellie shields her face when breaking windows and stuff (surely known by most, but haven't seen it mentioned here).

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020
Don't know if this was mentioned but I noticed this during my NG+ run.

A piece of Ellie's hair falls by her face if you run, dive, jump etc. but if you stand idle long enough, she'll put it behind her ear again

I believe the same thing happens with Abby and the hair that falls in front of her face

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The way when you go into prone from running, the character leaps down and slides a little. So satisfying.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
More of an observation but adult Abby is always checking/stretching her shoulder as an idle animation.

There may be no reasoning behind it other than it looks cool but for me it came across as her being uncomfortable in her own skin. She built this body to kill the most unkillable dude in the world and now hes dead and shes uncomfortable with the price.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
More of an observation but adult Abby is always checking/stretching her shoulder as an idle animation.

There may be no reasoning behind it other than it looks cool but for me it came across as her being uncomfortable in her own skin. She built this body to kill the most unkillable dude in the world and now hes dead and shes uncomfortable with the price.

That's an interesting observation. I'm guessing it'd be hard to verify if that's the real reason, but it does seem plausible!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

I saw that as an effect of a ton of bodybuilding. You're kinda always sore at the joints and stretch everytime.