• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Damn!!!
absolute incredible animation work.
As by animation, there's something that happened to memin my second playthrough that was very commented as not being in the game is the Ellie animation when colliding a wall or a car like this gif
car.gif

It happened to me when I was playing with Abby and tried to jump over a fence but had a wall in front of.
she jumped with to much speed and when she collided with the wall, she protected herself with her arms and pushed the wall to comeback.
it was out of combat, only in a navigation area but I was floored by that.
unfortunatelly I didnt captured the moment but was thinking if is really possible to see that in combat scenarios.
The game has some serious incredible animations.
yup it's there. I'll look if I can get it to trigger in combat

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the Arcade there's a bunch of fake arcade games, but there's also a JakX arcade machine.

It broke me a little when I killed a dog, and heard a soldier exclaim "No, BEAR!"... and then later, meeting Bear as Abby. My heart!

I was pleasantly surprised when I had the silenced SMG on me while exploring the open area in the beginning of Seattle during my NG+ run.

Surely getting ammo for that is impossible?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
my favorite parts of tlou2 are the small conversations and the small animations (Abby wiping the sweat off the back of her neck or rotating her left shoulder as she walks)

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Took me way too long to merge these two gifs lol. Didn't want to link them individually only for them to go off-sync.

11ojCEm.gif

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Abby helps Mel to climb over the suspended boat, if you go somewhere else she will complain you didn't look at her.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I killed someone with a pipe bomb in an indoor area and their body parts and blood exploded everywhere. A couple seconds later i see chunks of their remains falling from the ceiling with blood dripping down. Holy shit!

Took me way too long to merge these two gifs lol. Didn't want to link them individually only for them to go off-sync.

11ojCEm.gif

Wow this is amazing. ND had to do that on purpose, what a great subtle detail.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In the Arcade there's a bunch of fake arcade games, but there's also a JakX arcade machine.

It broke me a little when I killed a dog, and heard a soldier exclaim "No, BEAR!"... and then later, meeting Bear as Abby. My heart!

Surely getting ammo for that is impossible?
Ammo drops/spawns in this game are dynamic. What you get depends on what you have.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This BLEW MY MIND when it happened, and it's not the only time it occurs. Can't imagine the work this took.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
yup it's there. I'll look if I can get it to trigger in combat

I think I've noticed this multiple times in combat against larger enemies like the scars that carry big sledgehammers. A specific example I can think of though is against the Bloater in the arcade. After throwing three molotovs frantically I created some distance, pulled my shotgun out of my bag as it stomped toward me and fired right as it got close, the Bloater barely flinched and delivered a big punch to Ellie's side that sent her colliding into the overturned arcade machine next to her. Feeling that sort of impact was wild.

NHarmonic.

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These aren't really technical details, but more storytelling things I noticed:

-When Ellie is going to the Aquarium the storm picks up progressively the closer you get until you have to avoid the waves to get there. This felt like the universe's way of telling Ellie "DO NOT FUCKING GO TO THE AQUARIUM".

-In the second flashback with Ellie you start off sniping with Tommy. Not only does this set up his sniper stuff later, but they are talking about Ellie's avoidance of Joel: she is keeping her problems at a distance, and sniping the infected is a way of literalizing that through gameplay. So when she faces Joel, you then move to an up close and personal infected encounter.

-Some heavy Jesus imagery at the ending on the beach with Abby almost in a crucifixion position on the pillar, showing her redemption.

- Ellie's first kill is Jordan and the camera goes super close on his face as he dies and we get to see the life leave his eyes, which is a good way of "asking" the player if they're actually getting satisfaction from revenge.

-The red lights from the salt lake hospital seem to represent the shared trauma that Ellie and Abby have from there, and tends to pop up at dark moments in their stories. They also each have their own pivotal hospital experiences in Day 2: Ellie commits an act that's arguably worse than what Joel did in salt lake, and Abby fights a nightmarish representation of her traumatic hospital experience and does so for selfless reasons; she's able to both save Yara, and quell the hospital nightmares that have been plaguing her. The red lighting pops up again when Abby and Ellie have their confrontation in the theater, as their paths finally cross.

Great point with the red lights stuff. Didn't really notice but they are always present on key moments.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017

This BLEW MY MIND when it happened, and it's not the only time it occurs. Can't imagine the work this took.

Damn, says a lot that it didn't even get my attention cos I was so immersed in the world and nothing really ever stood out as out of the ordinary. I just expected it to work like real life. THIS GAME

hydruxo

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but while cleaning up trophies for the platinum I set up trip mines in that apartment where you get jumped by the WLF deserters when you use the workbench. It completely circumvents the animation of the guy jumping you at the workbench when you do that and I thought that was really cool. You can take them out before they even get to you.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but while cleaning up trophies for the platinum I set up trip mines in that apartment where you get jumped by the WLF deserters when you use the workbench. It completely circumvents the animation of the guy jumping you at the workbench when you do that and I thought that was really cool. You can take them out before they even get to you.
I've also been wondering if you can avoid this happening by entering the building silently. In my first playthrough I entered by smashing a window, on my second I entered through the basement, setting off the broom and windchime set up outside the door (I wanted to see if it would cause the WLF deserters to come out before the workbench). I noticed afterward that there was an open window on the top floor by a truck around the corner however. (My assumption right now is that they come out of that locked door when you use the workbench regardless).

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Damn, that's cool. But there's another scripted sequence as Ellie later where she's trying to open a door and a bunch of infected suddenly rush her, and I could see them running over a trap mine I had on the ground and it did nothing, lol. Ah well.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I posted this in the other thread but.... if you zoom in on Ellie's left arm in the epilogue you can see the scar where she presumably had surgery to fix the break Abby gave her

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Dunno if it counts, but in the final fight between Abbie and Ellie, when Abbie bites Ellie's fingers, she only really manages to bite off Ellie's ring finger. The pinky finger has a really deep bite mark (probably to the bone) so Ellie must've finished the job herself later as the pinky finger was a lost cause anyway.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

That stood out to me as well, someone put in a lot of work there. 👀 Are all the cutscenes rendered in real time?

Yes they are. Also they did similar stuff since Uncharted 4 when Nate removed his jacket form cutscens and then during gameplay happened all in real time. ND model the characters in nude way then they add a layer of rigged clotehs on top of them such interactivity happens where in otehr games clothes are part of textures from the same model and they need to use silly excuses in cutscsnes like moving the camera away to swap between clothes and nude models (cough Witcher 2/3.. cough..).
Not all have the dedication of ND so we salute them.

Real-time but still a cutscene nonetheless.

Btw do we know how many times a PS3 appears in this game? I counted 3 :P

Read above Nate removed his jacket during gameplaya nd throws after the ball scene when going into the basement. If they could do it during a rela tielm cutscene they coudl do it during gameplay too but for cinematic purposes they will focus on doing it in cutscsnes (it's obvious why they did it here in cutscsne cus they don't want you to see Ellie nude during gameplay).

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps it's been said/discussed already: when there's a glass structure between a hostile and the player, the AI will first break the glass in order to attack you next.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
You can see the fallen crane at the top of the building that you later climb as Abby from the Stadium. When you exit her room and get out into the middle of the stadium, look right and up and you will see it.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I found a corpse still holding the pen he used to write his final words in a note you can pick up, this is in the apartment building after the first encounter with the scars.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if its been mentioned but when swimming during the storm, the waves can bowl you over. However if you are underwater when the waves pass over you, you can keep swimming. Thought that was a nice little effect.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
When you find the fuel tank as Ellie she never closed the nozzle, and then she puts it in the bag, i though "te gas is gonna spill out in the bag" and then she let the nozzle stick out of the bag and i actually stopped playing and applauded.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not sure if its been mentioned but when swimming during the storm, the waves can bowl you over. However if you are underwater when the waves pass over you, you can keep swimming. Thought that was a nice little effect.

I just instinctively dove underwater with every wave. Not sure if that's what the game wanted me to do, and I never saw what happens if you don't.

Clothes was a big one, I was expecting the usual cut or trick.
Tbh you get the first demonstration when Abby wakes up near Jackson and pushes the sheets away.
Obviously the cloth simulation is baked, but it's still nice.

Nov 4, 2017
I just instinctively dove underwater with every wave. Not sure if that's what the game wanted me to do, and I never saw what happens if you don't.
I figured this out after the first wave bowled me over. It made me reflect on how growing up near world-famous beaches has made me very at home in the water. I wonder if people who grew up inland or in frigid regions did not figure it out as frequently.

Was anybody else annoyed at characters putting gasoline in clearly diesel Jerry cans and generators?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I think the end of the Hillcrest level where you meet up with Jesse and hijack the truck is one of the best action segments in a game ever. I just made a save a played that part over twice. It's so freaking crazy.

*chef's kiss*

Oct 26, 2017
When you find the fuel tank as Ellie she never closed the nozzle, and then she puts it in the bag, i though "te gas is gonna spill out in the bag" and then she let the nozzle stick out of the bag and i actually stopped playing and applauded.
It's like when Joel talks about the velociraptor , I was all like....
135.png

But then Ellie beat me to it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this on reddit: "Water bubbles reflect Ellies face. If it wasnt for the photomode nobody would have seen this. You know, the story is indeed very controversial, but man, the art-department really went all out with this game" https://www.reddit.com/r/thelastofu..._bubbles_reflect_ellies_face_if_it_wasnt_for/

hxawr2bff0951.jpg

Those on the bubbles btw are refractions not reflections.

In case you didn't know you know that blood is hot and is melting the snow around it and that when spread on rooftop tiles the blood circulates in the cracks and furrows but on topic, same as the bubble refractions, the blood puddles when created start refelcting the environments around them.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Those on the bubbles btw are refractions not reflections.

In case you didn't know you know that blood is hot and is melting the snow around it and that when spread on rooftop tiles the blood circulates in the cracks and furrows but on topic, same as the bubble refractions, the blood puddles when created start refelcting the environments around them.
Wait, your blood melts the snow in game?