• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
I'm interested in what those really old games likes Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Doom 1/2 look like in Auto HDR. Anyone tried these? I'm talking not just games from a previous gen but full on sprite era games that you wouldn't think could be rejigged with HDR. Obviously can't post useful screenshots or anything but i'd be curious to hear from someone who's tried it if it's actually any good or not.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just as weird Rayman Origins does not support HDR, but Rayman Legends has all the level from Origins and does support HDR

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
RIP, OP. šŸ˜œ I have 755 entries in the X Enhanced thread and that's only Xbox games that have programmed enhancements. Life would suck real hard if I had to start from ground zero today.

Thanks for doing this, though! It fills a void my thread has; I'll be certain to link to your thread in my OP.

Hotline Miami Collection supports Auto HDR, witnessed by me. HDR makes the game a bit eye-searing, but in the best of ways! Auto-HDR is such an impressive feature.

Nov 1, 2017
Just as weird Rayman Origins does not support HDR, but Rayman Legends has all the level from Origins and does support HDR

Yeah there seem to be a lot of these cases where one game supports it and you would assume the sequel/prequel or similar game in the series doesn't. I wonder if it's because they've only turned auto HDR on for games they have tested? From what i can gather getting the entire XB1 catalogue BC really came down to the wire with games being added to the whitelist right up until release so perhaps they haven't had the chance to do this same kind of extensive testing for Auto HDR. Really weird otherwise. I can't imagine Rayman Origins does anything radically different from Rayman Legends in terms of something that could break Auto HDR.

OP
OP
PyroPaperPlanes
Nov 1, 2017
You're welcome! :)
RIP, OP. šŸ˜œ I have 755 entries in the X Enhanced thread and that's only Xbox games that have programmed enhancements. Life would suck real hard if I had to start from ground zero today.

Thanks for doing this, though! It fills a void my thread has; I'll be certain to link to your thread in my OP.

Hotline Miami Collection supports Auto HDR, witnessed by me. HDR makes the game a bit eye-searing, but in the best of ways! Auto-HDR is such an impressive feature.
Ahh, yes this info would be the perfect supplement to your thread! For the time being I'll keep updating this thread. Once you've updated your own thread, please let us know!
Batman Arkham Origins supports Auto HDR I was able to personally test it
Mirror's Edge Catalyst works with it.
Thanks, I'll add these to the list.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
Any game that seems to use that weird wrapper to get mobile games running seems to be exempt from the HDR kicking in. All of the Kemco games, Legrand Legacy, Stay Cool Kobayashi san, Minecraft, TimeSpinner, Final Fantasy IX, and both Romancing Saga Games.

Basically if it asks you for permision to acces your Xbox Account on start up it doesn't get auto HDR.

Also when I loaded up my acount on the series X and had my external plugged in the system uninstalled those exact games. I had to redownload all of them so there may be other issues involved with them.

OP
OP
PyroPaperPlanes
Nov 1, 2017
Sorry, I meant that our threads will complement each other well. Keep up the good work!
Roger that!
Any game that seems to use that weird wrapper to get mobile games running seems to be exempt from the HDR kicking in. All of the Kemco games, Legrand Legacy, Stay Cool Kobayashi san, Minecraft, TimeSpinner, Final Fantasy IX, and both Romancing Saga Games.

Basically if it asks you for permision to acces your Xbox Account on start up it doesn't get auto HDR.

Also when I loaded up my acount on the series X and had my external plugged in the system uninstalled those exact games. I had to redownload all of them so there may be other issues involved with them.
Nice work on the research. I'll add everything to the list later tonight / tomorrow. I might need to double check with you in regard to "all Kemco games".
Can also confirm on FF8 (via gamepass) HDR does appear to be working. Wild.
Ohhh, I've been procrastinating on FF8. Ah well, I have quite a backlog anyway.
Thanks, I'll add these later tonight / tomorrow.
Prey, Prey: Mooncrash, and The Council support Auto-HDR.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
Nice work on the research. I'll add everything to the list later tonight / tomorrow. I might need to double check with you in regard to "all Kemco games".

I plan to go through my library extensively tomorrow to verify everything is up and running now that I have everything moved over. My library is insane due to sales and sharing my account with a household of 8 people. I'll be sure to note which games do and don't load as i muck around.

for now here's a list of what I know won't work with HDR added to what I previously listed.

Kemco RPGs - Asdivine Hearts, Asdivine Hearts 2, Asdivine Kamura, Asdivine Menace, Asdivine Dios, Chronus Arc, Fernz Gate, Bonds of the Sky, Frane - Dragon's Odyssey, Legend of the Tetrarchs, Revenant Saga, Revenant Dogma, Sephirothic Stories, Alvastia Chronicles, Crystal Ortha, Dragon lapis, Liege Dragon, Alphadia Genesis, Miden Tower, Monster Viator, Dragon Sinker - Descendants of Legend, Seek Hearts, Wizards of Brandel, Monochrome Order, Illusion of L'Phalcia, Antiquia Lost, Marenian Tavern Story - Patty and the Hungry God

DragonFangZ - The Rose and Dungeon of Time, I Am The Hero, SubaraCity, Spider Solitaire F, Double Dragon IV, and SNK 40th Anniversary Collection also don't get Auto HDR.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox 360

Lost Odyssey does support Auto HDR.

Blue Dragon does not support Auto HDR.

Downloaded and quickly tested both tonight.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
For real, Kameo would look incredible with HDR.

I don't have an HDR TV (yet) but fired up Kameo on the Series X and was amazed at how well the game holds up for being a 2005 launch title.

rNuOXqb.jpg
Kameo is super underrated visuals wise, it came out during the time where a games graphics wasn't considered good unless it was brown & bloom with bald space marines.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Tried several, so far those supports Auto HDR:

Dark Souls: Remastered
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dying Light
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
Outcast: Second Contact
Resident Evil 4
Return of the Obra Dinn
Red Faction Guerrilla ReMARStered

Update:

Castle Crashers Remastered
Blasphemous
Ion Fury
Layers of Fear
Metal Wolf Chaos XD
Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Bad Company 2 right now with Auto HDR, which I'm running off my external hard drive that was plug and play.

This is an amazing experience.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Extreme bummer that Splinter Cell doesnt support it. I tried it yesterday as well. Oh well, game still looks great regardless. And happy to see that other SC do support auto HDR.

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested in what those really old games likes Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Doom 1/2 look like in Auto HDR. Anyone tried these? I'm talking not just games from a previous gen but full on sprite era games that you wouldn't think could be rejigged with HDR. Obviously can't post useful screenshots or anything but i'd be curious to hear from someone who's tried it if it's actually any good or not.

Not sprite-based but Conker's Bad Fur Day in Rare Replay supports it. It's mostly pretty muted but all the speech bubbles are blazing bright white. Looks fairly terrible IMHO.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Gonna fire up Rare classics, Final Fantasy XIII and Lost Odyssey at some point then. Sad Blue Dragon and Kameo didn't make it. What about Skyrim?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Can also confirm on FF8 (via gamepass) HDR does appear to be working. Wild.
Yep, was super excited to see this.

I think with Sonic 3 after a few levels it looks really good. The colors look great and you see some HDR highlights throughout (items, attacks, certain enemies, sections of the background) but nothing looks blown out or anything.

Will definitely be doing a full playthrough soon.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
That's odd, I just double checked. HDR didn't kick in again. Can you confirm one more time that it works on your end?

Just to confirm: That includes Outbreak, Outbreak: The New Nightmare, and Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles?

Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

My full list of titles on Xbox One (fully playable on XSX/XSS BC with HDR, improved framerates, load times, etc...) are Outbreak, Outbreak: The New Nightmare, Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles, Outbreak: Lost Hope and Outbreak: Epidemic.

I'm working on native next gen versions with numerous improvements (framerate, resolution, graphics quality, camera rendering range, etc...) but they're not available yet and won't be for a bit. That being said, the games in BC really shine now - especially the splitscreen co-op which runs at 60FPS pretty much 99%+ of the time in my current testing.

It's really crazy when I think about how titles like The New Nightmare launched on X1 in January 2018 to playing them now on XSX. It's like a completely different game...