• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I was wondering, I wanted to check out more games that fit this type, or genre if that makes sense-- 2D Beat Em Ups that are primarily Fighting games or Fighting Games that have a 2D Side Scrolling/Platforming Adventure type mode to them. I listed an example of a few DIMPS games, below, that came out on the GBA and NDS. Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure and the Draglade series. These titles both offer a platforming, beat em up, style game while also being 1 on 1 fighting games. Off the top of my head the only games I can think of, in recent memory, that offer this style of play is Streets of Rage 4 & Fight'N Rage .

Also, I feel that some Arc System Works games had some beat em' up style modes in the fighters they make, but I can't recall which games outside of Granblue Fantasy VS at the moment. Maybe I'm just feeling a little nostalgic, but I found my old DS and fired up some Jump Ultimate Stars and recalled that I spent a good amount of time playing the titles below. I don't think this is a common mix of genre's anymore, or I guess I don't know of many-- I was hoping for some input from Resetera as I'd like to find other games of this style.
Ec7-f3WU4AAGm8R

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Draglade is hella underrated.

I could say the same for Advanced Adventure. Even within Dragon Ball fandom, nobody really talks about it but its honestly one of the best DB games and just a pretty damn solid beat em up in it's own right.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
2g8Kvve.jpg

gk3ORde.jpg

Guilty Gear Judgment was a beat-em-up, with the pack-in fighter, Guilty Gear X2 on the PSP.

DBHVDwF.jpg

PiTeBi0.jpg

Guilty Gear Isuka was the fighter, and its Boost Mode was the beat-em-up on PS2. Both of these combo games were good fun, and look great.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Double Dragon on the old NES was a primarily a beat 'em up, that had a 1 v 1 fighting game built in. Oddly, the 2 games didn't use the same sprites, so it was like 2 different games in 1.

OP
OP
AlecKoKuTan

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Draglade is hella underrated.

I could say the same for Advanced Adventure. Even within Dragon Ball fandom, nobody really talks about it but its honestly one of the best DB games and just a pretty damn solid beat em up in it's own right.

I agree, Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure-- A platforming/beat'em up, had a combo heavy Fighting Game (complete with Air Combos) all rolled into one. I think it was my favorite Dragon Ball Franchise game till FighterZ came out, before that it was Hyper Dragon Ball Z-- a Fan game.

I believe, for the most part, Draglade played very similarly to Dragon Ball Advanced adventure which is why I loved that series so much. I never played the second one as it wasn't localized. Seems that DIMPS has gone all in on Xenoverse, I don't know if they've produced much else over the years. Now that I think of it, didn't the Beat Em' Up genre spawn from fighters? Like Final Fight came from Street Fighter, or was it the other way around? Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, I'm looking into posted guilty gear games as I type this.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Abyss Odyssey is basically a Metroidvania with roguelike elements and also a VS mode

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Guardian Heroes is the best and it always will be. I can't remember if the XBLA version fixed the ability for flying characters to just fly off into the background or off line from the normal characters but it's hilarious anyway. The coughing old man being able to corner infinite takes on a different meaning in 2020...

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Some tekken hame had a sidescrolling mode. Tekken 3? Tekken 3 GBA is 2d and has the beat em up mode, iirc

OP
OP
AlecKoKuTan

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
apps.41890.68457563540891771.312beba3-d5c5-42ae-ab4d-c7c3e9f25923.169e52c4-cab7-44f6-b3cd-800dd48c42c3

Guardian fucking Heroes. If you have an Xbox and don't have this then change that now.

Bought! I remember hearing about this shortly after first playing Gunstar Heroes, but never played it as I didn't have a Saturn.

I also got Sengoku 3 today, thankfully this was on Switch as I can play it portable. I've never seen this game before, although some of the characters I've seen---like in M.U.G.E.N games.