• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you be okay having lions be replaced by human characters and keeping the lion king story?

• Yes

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I watched the lion king and i have been pondering over what could have given it more impact. More facial animations, expanded story, reduced run time? In the end i came to the realzation that you cant really top the original with how they decided to do cgi.
In my opinion a live action with a whole african/ african american cast set in africa would have been a good twist on the source material. Heck they wouldnt even need to change the story that much if its set way back in history.

What does era think? Bad idea or terrible idea?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why didn't Mufasa just wait like 60 more seconds on the bank of the gorge during the stampede like Simba did instead of climbing to the top of the ridge for no real good reason other than to die?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I for one think a live action movie musical starring human actors in CGI cat suits sounds like a great idea.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Is it good? Is it still showing? Id love to go
It is always in New York and is constantly touring around the world. It is similar to what you wrote in the OP, but includes a lot of elaborate costumes and even some intricate puppetry. It really is amazing.

If you've never been to a professional musical before, you might balk at the ticket prices, but it's totally worth it.

Oct 29, 2017
The musical has been going strong for 20 years, but its not quite the same as the characters being humans, they are still playing the animals and have elaborate costumes to show it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't there already like multiple version of Shakespearic plays as movies with about the same plots ?

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
The musical has been going strong for 20 years, but its not quite the same as the characters being humans, they are still playing the animals and have elaborate costumes to show it.
Yeah, like not exactly humans playing animals but just humans. I dont know how they would tweak the story to show the circle of life and still stay true to the essense of lion king. Maybe humans hunting i dunno

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose so but more narratively set like a movie

You are in luck, it's one of my favorite movies!

220px-Hamlet_1996_poster.jpg

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
It is always in New York and is constantly touring around the world. It is similar to what you wrote in the OP, but includes a lot of elaborate costumes and even some intricate puppetry. It really is amazing.

If you've never been to a professional musical before, you might balk at the ticket prices, but it's totally worth it.
Never been to one but im curious to see it. I feel like this was a good opportunity to make a real african epic ala brave heart lol not exactly that kind of story but just the setting

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about The Hunchback of Notre Dame but with bees instead of Parisian people

Or Atlantis: The Lost Empire with dolphins

Frozen with penguins

OP
OP
Emwitus

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
How about The Hunchback of Notre Dame but with bees instead of Parisian people

Or Atlantis: The Lost Empire with dolphins

Frozen with penguins
I know your being sarcastic but The lion king already has some african influence in the spiritual elements and character names are from swahili. So this is a take on that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be worth doing. Make it some fictional african kingdom pre colonization.

There's honestly not much in Lion King that revolves around them being animals. Only one I can really think of was Timon and Pumba being initially scared that Simba was a lion.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be worth doing. Make it some fictional african kingdom pre colonization.

There's honestly not much in Lion King that revolves around them being animals. Only one I can really think of was Timon and Pumba being initially scared that Simba was a lion.

Easy, just make them a different tribe.