• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
Saw this yesterday. If this shows anything its how greatly the console is designed

Although I don't like how it looks but to kudos to MS for stuffing all that stuff in this design

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well while price of the consoles is 500$ for the end customer both companies are taking losses because real price is much higher. Also add to that bulk purchases of various components and you will never get good enough comparison. But it's entertaining looking at people who try it :D

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Does seem like a bit of a bloodbath to be honest.

Edit: to add, always annoying to me these videos cause the UK price would be way higher.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I mean, if money is not a limitation, that's totally possible.

A more interesting approach would be trying to build a better machine around the same price, which right now could be tricky if not unfeasible.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The screen tearing in doom eternal was bad ...
Also as Linus said, used parts and no warranty for it + some shady motherboard.
This gen both machines are really amazing.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i haven't paid much attention to any of this, but has the "pc master race" argument ever been that you can blow away consoles at launch with a pc that costs exactly as much? i've never heard that before. i only remember hearing that you can make up the difference with cheaper games and no cost for online multiplayer.

Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me Linus, this is not how ebay works:
j2LIz4l.png

You just cannot use a bidding price, from Russia, and the shipping costs of +$40, as a justification for valuing your "warehouse" CPU as a $130 one.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
That's amazing that he managed to make a machine that was so powerful in comparison. Would have been funny to see him testing out with some less optimized games like ARK but wasn't half as bad as expected

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
1/4 the storage, ugly pink(used?) controller, no blu-ray drive, etc. XSX takes it value wise but you can do more with a PC.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's just comparing 3 games, so it's a limited data set for drawing a real conclusion here, and the Xbox Series X will likely "age better" as games on it will always make the best use of the system (ideally, anyway).

Still, really impressive performance from their "I bought everything used from eBay" PC there.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Well while price of the consoles is 500$ for the end customer both companies are taking losses because real price is much higher. Also add to that bulk purchases of various components and you will never get good enough comparison. But it's entertaining looking at people who try it :D
Maybe they are taking losses but I think they either are not at all or it is significantly reduced from more exotic eras like PS360.

Watching Linus video now. Hopefully the takeaway is better than the recent Gamers Nexus video comparing PS5 to a 1060. The actual video wasn't that bad but the main takeaway points were. I mean according to DF PS5 is around a 2060 Super with RT and a tier or two above without RT. GN is usually great so that was disappointing.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I expected more of a performance gap in favour of the Xbox. Impressive that he got a comparable PC spec-wise for that amount, that took me by surprise. But the conclusion wraps things up pretty soundly. No warranty, cut corners, cheap tatt, small storage, etc. Great video that also shows the value of the Series X.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'd like him to revisit this with the same build playing games like Hellblade 2 and Elder Scrolls 6. Maybe there will be more of a gap with games made for XSX from the ground up.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
i haven't paid much attention to any of this, but has the "pc master race" argument ever been that you can blow away consoles at launch with a pc that costs exactly as much? i've never heard that before. i only remember hearing that you can make up the difference with cheaper games and no cost for online multiplayer.
Not sure about any arguments but cost of game wise there's nothing beating having Gamepass Ultimate. So the cost of online and game price thing is negated.

I always though the argument for PC gaming was more about options and being in control.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
That PC is literally made out of trash, less performant, and with a 4th of the storage, no UHD blu-ray and still it costs you more than the Series X, if this is not a bloodbath I don't know what it is.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't paid much attention to any of this, but has the "pc master race" argument ever been that you can blow away consoles at launch with a pc that costs exactly as much? i've never heard that before. i only remember hearing that you can make up the difference with better sales and no costs for online multiplayer.

Not really. But youtubers have always been obsessed with these, because it drives clicks.

100% honestly you're better off with consoles at that price right now (well, if consoles were available, at least PS5 still hasn't fulfilled even first day preorders). That PC surely won't be able to run every game next gen.

PC is definitely best at enthusiastic level, at above console prices. (at least until we are sometime into next gen)
(Or "toaster" level PC to play esports games, at prices below consoles)

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Ok yeah, fair enough, lol.

The clickbaity nature of LTT's video titles kinda pisses me off.

Cheesy title aside, what exactly did you think the video might be? Obviously you can build a better PC than the Series X if you have no budget, that goes without saying. I thought the title suggested "for a similar price", because otherwise there wouldn't really be a point to the video.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Yea, its a thing.
We had a thread a few weeks ago about some really disingenuous Gamers Nexus video where they built a $500 PC that could bench 3 specific games better than if they were running on PS5 under backwards compatibility mode, just to prove....... something?
I've seen other examples here and there, but thats the one that most springs to mind.

PC Master Race people can be just as prone to dumbassery as any other type of fanboy. *shrug*

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
i haven't paid much attention to any of this, but has the "pc master race" argument ever been that you can blow away consoles at launch with a pc that costs exactly as much? i've never heard that before.
No I haven't either. The PC master race argument was always that you get the superior version of almost all games so long as you spend enough on your system, basically. It was never centered around cost. It never even included cost.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Such a messy build and again only uses 3 games to validate his impression of this so-called comparison. Just let it be :p.
Control for example will be 60fps (performance mode) and 30 fps (quality - RT) mode and I would be interested in how his computer would hold up. It differs from game, engine and release date of how much devs can squeeze out of these consoles and whether they will be bottlenecked (which I presume this gen is not going to be a big problem due to the nice balance of GPU and CPU + SSD).

For new PC owners, such videos are not even remotely interesting ( A quad-core CPU?!?), but for existing, it may be.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That PC is literally made out of trash, less performant, and with a 4th of the storage, no UHD blu-ray and still it costs you more than the Series X, if this is not a bloodbath I don't know what it is.

Agreed

The amount of compromises they made as well as missing features to make it a direct comparison shows how much value both the PS5 and Xbox have for the price.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the PC and do pretty much all my gaming on it, but if you've only got $500 to spend on a gaming platform and you don't already have a PC you can build on, you should get a console every time. The walled garden of console gaming might suck in some ways, but it lets you get the hardware at below cost price, which is something PCs can never compete with.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Fun video, I mean seeing a Haswell era CPU holds up in gaming is enough for my interest
Still, you buy a gaming console to play games, PCs at the same price is never going to match that. But that same PC can also be used to make games for the consoles sooooooooooo it's still the master race

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Excuse me Linus, this is not how ebay works:
j2LIz4l.png

You just cannot use a bidding price, from Russia, and the shipping costs of +$40, as a justification for valuing your "warehouse" CPU as a $130 one.

Oh, if that's what he's doing here then you just saved me from wasting my time, thanks. I mean, it would be interesting to see how close someone could get, but at the very least he should use sold listings. Current bid is pointless.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
No need to get up in arms about videos from ltt like this, they're just meant to be dumb fun experiments. It's not like linus is coming out at the end actually saying it's better than a series x, or more practical.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they are taking losses but I think they either are not at all or it is significantly reduced from more exotic eras like PS360.

Watching Linus video now. Hopefully the takeaway is better than the recent Gamers Nexus video comparing PS5 to a 1060. The actual video wasn't that bad but the main takeaway points were. I mean according to DF PS5 is around a 2060 Super with RT and a tier or two above without RT. GN is usually great so that was disappointing.

If anything loses are bigger. Especially now during pandemic when big companies are paying a lot more to secure enough components and that drives prices up for others. And even without that both consoles contain some expensive parts.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I expected more of a performance gap in favour of the Xbox. Impressive that he got a comparable PC spec-wise for that amount, that took me by surprise. But the conclusion wraps things up pretty soundly. No warranty, cut corners, cheap tatt, small storage, etc. Great video that also shows the value of the Series X.

His conclusion doesn't even really cover how bad he cheated though, he'd have got nowhere near it.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Finished watching, pretty good take from them especially how they admitted to "cheating" in some ways with PC build.

PC has its own many advantages, besides getting views no need to pretend a dollar to dollar PC will match a console at launch. Sony and MS have plenty of ways to profit whereas PC components seems to have slim margins for everyone.

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
With the way GPUs are priced right now, I don't think you'll be able to build anything at $500 that beats the new consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
I would really like to see how it performs against a $900 msrp pc. I think that is where you are going to see it land roughly. Your not going to see a same price pc do well against a normal new console (non -hybrid) at launch. It's a silly comparison it's been this way for at least 20-25 years.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
He had to make a hell of a lot of compromises and it still costs more.

I guess I can see the value in this done over several points in time across the console's life cycle but as a single video, nah