• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

This is easily the biggest video Linus Media Group has ever worked on, & it's really comprehensive at that. Although fair warning, this being their biggest video also means it's their longest by a country mile outside of live streams (clocking in at 1:42:05).

Source: Linus Tech Tips (YouTube)

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can that be when The Verge's guide exists /s

Seems like a very informative guide, did they go into things like pci expansion for things like sound cards?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
That video is longer than the process. Usually these tech channels make a new video that goes over what deals to look out for and how to assemble every year. Also despite the videos length, he doesn't go over the big, wide world of water cooling but that's understandable as no beginner should bother with that, especially with how good air coolers are these days.

The trickiest part for me was just making sure the air cooler is torqued down right and has decent thermal compound coverage.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
even as someone who knows how to build a pc, this was very entertaining to watch. finished it a couple of minutes ago.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you need a guide? Lots of overthinking a process which is 99% of the time fairly straight forward.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
What I want isn't even a guide on building a PC, because I know how to do that. It's a guide on "how to make a new PC out of your old prebuilt one and figuring out what's salvageable and what's not" lol

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
this gonna quiet the "they don't make build guides anymore" meme for at least a couple of years

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Years ago, the scariest thing was thinking that the tension bar/pressure to hold the cpu in place might break the mobo.

But the shittiest thing I've ever had to deal with was installing that garbage Hyper Evo heatsink. Next, is the IO shield not fitting properly. The hardest thing is cable management.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The key is, take your time. It isn't a race. Don't freak out if it doesn't turn on or POST. My first time, I forgot the 4 pin CPU power cable.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
The key is, take your time. It isn't a race. Don't freak out if it doesn't turn on or POST. My first time, I forgot the 4 pin CPU power cable.

When I built this computer earlier this year I connected the power button cable to the power LED slot of the mobo, and basically reconnected everything until I noticed that lmao

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This video would've been perfect for me a couple years before I taught myself by watching lots of separate videos. (And even then something small like an 4+4 EPS12V connector with rounded pins going into square holes threw me off so I had to phone a friend.) I hope this helps lots of folks jump into putting their own PC together. My PC has become my preferred gaming machine while my PS5 largely collects dust.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I built this computer earlier this year I connected the power button cable to the power LED slot of the mobo, and basically reconnected everything until I noticed that lmao
I blame my lack of sleep and my mistake of installing the Corsair A70 CPU cooler after I put the motherboard in, for forgetting the CPU power cable. Doesn't help that the CPU power is always in the tightest of corners.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Why would you need a guide? Lots of overthinking a process which is 99% of the time fairly straight forward.
Not everyone knows or is confident enough to build one. I know my 1st time building one years ago, I followed guides and tips from people like linus while he was at ncix, and paulshardware / bitwit when they were at newegg until I felt confident enough. There's no problem trying to get more information before you're going into something.

Don't really understand the point of saying this lol

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
dE6lTOmcVVfoOIkCRwKqsuDnAxYpwqE4R-er5AaIdTk.jpg

These should be standard.

edit - and case manufacturers gotta do better at having more space/cutouts at the top and bottom; pretty stupid trying to squeeze in something like the eps at the top, and some of the front panel or other connectors at the bottom. Especially the top, where it gets sandwiched or blocks a top fan or radiator mount. And the bottom half, the front panel cable isn't long enough or squeezed along a PSU shroud or something.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
One of my coping strategies during the first two years of the COVID pandemic was getting deeper into computer building, both as a fun thing to do with "lucky finds" at secondhand shops, and also some small(ish) splurges just for the heck of it. It's such a fun hobby with a lot of practical benefits (even for people outside of training/IT). Seeing a video like this that helps make the process feel a little more straightforward for others is fantastic.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished! I've built my fair share of PCs/installed PC upgrades in my day, and I still learned a bunch of new stuff here, even for components I've worked with in the past. Great video. I was originally going to snark that this is the "last guide you'll ever need" until some new rando hardware standard comes out that invalidates a bunch of this, but really they're right when they say that the parts may change, but the fundamental process doesn't.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That video is longer than the process. Usually these tech channels make a new video that goes over what deals to look out for and how to assemble every year. Also despite the videos length, he doesn't go over the big, wide world of water cooling but that's understandable as no beginner should bother with that, especially with how good air coolers are these days.

The trickiest part for me was just making sure the air cooler is torqued down right and has decent thermal compound coverage.

This is definitely true. First thing that went into my mind: If it's taking you an hour, 42 minutes to build your PC, something horribly, horribly has gone wrong.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This is definitely true. First thing that went into my mind: If it's taking you an hour, 42 minutes to build your PC, something horribly, horribly has gone wrong.

My first build took me closer to 4 hours. That included dismounting pieces from a case, then assembling everything on the final build and doing the Windows install.

Nothing went wrong. It booted at first try, no issues whatsoever. I just took my time to go through the manual and checking everything was done in the right way.

Nowadays I can do it in less than an hour (way less sometimes), but I always remember that my first attempt was very scary and slow and how it must be for other people.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I mean the video isn't them building PC for 1 hour 42 minutes.

Also first timer PC builders definitely can take longer than that to build their PCs.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

You know you don't have to insert your thoughts always right? Even though it's easy for you. You're literally being critical for a comprehensive guide specifically for newcomers and alike.
Just read a thread instead of posting?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I built with others before, but on my first build the CPU power connector went up in smoke and smelled absolutely awful. Melted the CPU connector a bit, but was still fine after I tried it with a spare PSU. I guess it was a faulty power supply. The replacement worked without problems. That's the scariest part for me and why I am always wary of turning it on after I mess with stuff inside.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
First time builders are going to take a while to build a machine, this is a great guide

Better than bending pins and shit and not taking your time as someone who's never even attempted to do so, I know people who took a whole day off just to make their first build, shit worked all the same

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
My first build took me closer to 4 hours. That included dismounting pieces from a case, then assembling everything on the final build and doing the Windows install.

Nothing went wrong. It booted at first try, no issues whatsoever. I just took my time to go through the manual and checking everything was done in the right way.

Nowadays I can do it in less than an hour (way less sometimes), but I always remember that my first attempt was very scary and slow and how it must be for other people.
Mine took around that time too, certain components literally didn't fit right into the case and certain parts about the case did not have the things that every guide said it would. I remember there either being a bracket or metal things I had to install that 100% of every guide said it comes already done. Then I couldnt fit my gpu in because a piece of the case was in the way, so while everything was inside I had to hammer that part of the case flat until it could slide in. My power and whatnot were at the top, while every guide had it at the bottom. After 5 hours of headaches it didn't turn on, think something somewhere was loose when the guy in the tech shop near me said he just jiggled everything and it sparked on. Ran great for years before I bought a much stronger prebuilt for the same price.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
You know you don't have to insert your thoughts always right? Even though it's easy for you. You're literally being critical for a comprehensive guide specifically for newcomers and alike.

I was joking. So calm down and take you own advice.

I completely understand that this guide would be useful to newcomers and other alike.

Many have already responded and made the same point, so perhaps you should heed your own advice and read the thread. Quite why you felt the need to make the same point that others have made seems as pointless no?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I was joking. So calm down and take you own advice.

I completely understand that this guide would be useful to newcomers and other alike.

Many have already responded and made the same point, so perhaps you should heed your own advice and read the thread. Quite why you felt the need to make the same point that others have made seems as pointless no?

I like the circle myself :) .

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

"Going through the manual". You've just triggered PTSD in me. As someone who enjoys a good manual read, I don't think I've ever seen a mobo manual that wasn't completed outdated and useless from the BIOS updates that completely altered things.

I think the last build I did didn't even pretend. They just gave you a web link to go to. And fittingly, the link was dead and contained no info. Which, honestly, I felt was appropriate. There's something very poetic about that. Given the useless state mobo manuals have always been (at least to me).

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I've built lots of PCs and my last build I spent longer than that. It doesn't have to be a race, I enjoy the process and taking my time.

There's a lot of anti-beginner sentiment in this thread, I don't get it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
edit - and case manufacturers gotta do better at having more space/cutouts at the top and bottom; pretty stupid trying to squeeze in something like the eps at the top, and some of the front panel or other connectors at the bottom. Especially the top, where it gets sandwiched or blocks a top fan or radiator mount. And the bottom half, the front panel cable isn't long enough or squeezed along a PSU shroud or something.
That's why I try to run the PSU cables first, before I screw down the mobo

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I make a build, I always forget something. But that's because I do it only every 5 years. And it is fine as long as it is done slowly and I keep track of what's what.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Great video. I was taught how to build one via skype many, many years ago from a friend but i still tend to just buy pre-made online because if you do it during sales (especially in the last 2 years with GPU prices) it becomes much, much cheaper.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I can't even take an existing PC apart as it turns out, cables that should come loose won't and the GPU is held in place by some mystery mechanism that monke don't understand. Maybe I should watch this in reverse.

Oct 28, 2017
damn, video is good i wish i had this when i did my first build tho i had the help of GAF/ERA wish made it possible nothing beats up-to-date video/visual aid lol

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
You'd be surprised how many people need this. I had a guy bring in his comp for diagnostics beause it wouldn't even turn on. I took it out of the case and got it to kick on and everything and turns out he was using the wrong fucking screws and he has trying to screw the motherboard to the case directly without any washers to separate the mobo and case. So it was causing a short. He got lucky that's all it was. But I had to tell him if he's not gonna pay us to assemble it then he better use the proper screws lets he wants to fry his mobo/video card or anything else that can fry.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
First time I built a pc was in october 2014. Built a mini itx prodigy case rig which was the trend at that time and even though I had exp with components etc I had never build one from scratch and i spend around 6 hours watching a guide and building it, ofc I took my sweet time but thoroughly enjoyed the process. Never ever had an issue with it.

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of guides online already from every tech channel under the sun though. I think the real reason they need to keep remaking this type of video is because of algorithm/SEO purposes.

The actual steps to building a PC could be covered just as well with a video from 5-10 years ago, nothing has really changed since then other than NVME slots becoming common and maybe some new quirks with setting up the bios.