• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Um Nintendo can kick rocks. They don't own the internet. Maybe self ban themselves from YT. Oh no let's censor this game running on this system. Like are we doing this really? Guess we should only talk about this on the dark web using torr.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I have a launch Switch but the process of jailbreaking the console and dumping the roms is way more elaborate than I'd have the patience for.

Genuinely curious if Nintendo will allow this video to stay up. My guess is no.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You're in luck, because by the time they get to setting up emulators on Steam Deck, they either forgot to or intentionally stop blurring out cover art and Nintendo logos. Oops!
I highly doubt a judge would think that's a determining factor for a fair use defense of this completely free educational video, but I guess they could blur those too and then defend that second video in court instead.

Point is, I wanna see some Nintendo lawyers lose (should they decide to go after this video).

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
EMUDL8UWwAYpgZL.jpg:large

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. There is no good information on how it actually runs games.
Dont think thats really the point of the video - its mostly about triggering a response from Nintendo and then continue a PR back and forth.
Gotta own a Switch and the games to rip 'em so it's not like Nintendo is losing sales on this.
Well, thats not the whole story. It takes actually some effort to rip games and you need to have an OG Switch from what i remember.

Ppl might not agree with this but can understand why a company wouldnt want these kinda videos get to big if they feature their own published games. From what ive seen they wont or cant do anything if 3rdParty games are featured, but yeah lol.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
That's pretty sweet. I fully support software ownership being consumer facing and not locked up, which is where Nintendo will press charges.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they are really trying to bait a DMCA or C&D out of Nintendo. I wonder what their plans are for once they get a reaction.
They want to see if Nintendo will actually try to bully a bigger channel and not a small one like they've done with previous videos of this kind. They say as much in the last part of the video.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Court. They pretty much explicitly say that in the video. Unlike most channels nintendo goes after LTT can afford a lengthy legal battle.
They want to see if Nintendo will actually try to bully a bigger channel and not a small one like they've done with previous videos of this kind. They say as much in the last part of the video.
Right, I watched the whole thing, but then what? LTT wouldn't bother with something like this unless it benefited the channel in some way. I guess the headlines would certainly put a spotlight on LTT. But Nintendo pretty much has to take the bait, because the longer they leave it alone, the more they set a precedent that it's ok.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know how I can email this video to Nintendo directly? Miyamoto is going to make Linus ashamed of his words and deeds for posting such a dangerous video.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
A8HJ8N2.png

*Nintendo lawyers salivating to get a case to the supreme court*

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have an OLED SW with like 182 games. Now getting a Steam Deck, but I really see myself using both for the foreseeable future: Switch for the games already bought (indie, AAA ports) and exclusives, and then Steam Deck for everything going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's bully tactics are such shit. Good on LTT for showing people how to play their games they bought how they want.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Bad opening skit aside, this video is one of my favorite looks at the legality of emulation. While not about the Steam Deck specifically, it covers a lot of stuff that is relevant here. If people are curious about it, I think it's worth a watch. Short answer is of course it's messy and full of contradictions but not as clear cut as Nintendo would want you to believe.

www.youtube.com

Emulation, the Law, and You: Where the Hobby Ends and Crime Begins

A look at the past few decades of legal precedent regarding emulation, done by someone who has no idea what he's doing. Please share any corrections in the ...

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, the guy who told Nintendo he wanted executives' ears if he was going to accept a sponsorship from them, then publicly read their correspondence when Nintendo (shocked Pikachu face) ghosted him after that.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I was always paranoid about jailbreaking my OG switch but I got an OLED. Might have to look into that. Err, I mean, don't mess with your switch's firmware. Papa Miyamoto will be disappointed.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Conflating emulation with piracy, mod-whining. Previously banned for the same behavior.
I asked the mods once what ERAs stance was on basically advertising this stuff after a heated thread where people were literally talking/celebrating about playing a leaked game a week from release, and they basically gave me a non answer. The assumption is everyone talking about it is 100% honest about ripping their own carts, which is laughable obviously but what are they going to do, ask people to post pictures of them next to their games? Just keep that in mind if you enageg in these threads, because switch emulation era is quick on using the report function, and because of the mod stance, you will get warnings until the ban comes.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I had a launch-era Switch so I could rip my games. I love being able to rip the games I'm able to (currently NES, Genesis, SNES, 360, PS3, Wii/GameCube). Was able to rip Wii U games, but I'd need to do research how to re-familiarize myself with it. Have been wanting to learn how to do Dreamcast games for a while, but I've not been too motivated in buying more crap that goes unused most of the year.

Someone got on my case here (or maybe it was the old place?) for ripping my Virtual Console games from my Wii U so I could play them on my FPGA consoles. Like, cool. I don't give a shit. I bought the games, I'll do what I want with them (and no. I won't share them...).