• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Snipping the programming parts because I was referring to graphic fidelity, not programming efficiency. Programming efficiency is not anything that I'm arguing against.

I see the details but I have to spend a bit of time studying it. I do think the second image looks a tiny bit better but the first image looks fine to me. The gap is just nowhere near as big as leaps that we got in the aughts. After having experienced many actual leaps, ray tracing just seems overhyped.

But surely you can immediately tell they look very different

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
DOuYnM3.jpg
Are all the differences due to ray tracing alone? I'm mostly confused by the change in hair colors and depth of field.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
If you asked me if I could tell the difference between rtx on and off for Resident evil village on PS5/Series X honestly, I probably would have a very difficult time telling you the difference. Seems like one of those features that on high end PC you'll notice the difference but implementation on consoles is going to be tough, also when considering the fact that it needs to be balanced with performance.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for all games, but there is a stark difference in game like Cyberpunk and Control. I was a little disappointed it looked like he didn't use those two as part of this test. Cyberpunk was popular in my circle and the people who saw me playing it on my 3090 immediately spotted some of the differences. In fact it was how a few of them learned I finally got my hands on a 3XXX card.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Are all the differences due to ray tracing alone? I'm mostly confused by the change in hair colors and depth of field.

The hair colour differences are due to the RTX. I don't know where it was said (I think the Digital Foundry video on the new Metro Exodus RTX patch) that said the weird glowing hair/off colours were due to lighting mistakes (or how the lighting interacts with the hair) or something to that effect in certain scenes and the new raytracing gives the hair more accurate colours/shine.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take 60fps over ray-traced reflections only, but if we're talking global illumination, then that's a more difficult choice.

In a slower paced / cinematic game, I'll deal with the lower frame.

Also, this. With the DLSS and a current gen GPU, you don't even need to choose if you're only trying to hit 60fps.
Well.... that depends on the game and what resolution your aiming for. 1440p you can put DLSS on quality and hit 60 on every game, 4K? Not so much

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a nice 13min comparison of Metro Exodus Enhanced. there are definitely changes in art that's brought about by the RT, but I don't think many would have difficulty telling the difference between raster lighting and rt lighting here

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
This thread reminds me that I should play metro soon. I'm fine with RTX on as long as I hit over 60fps otherwise I'll use it without. (I play on a 1440p monitor and with a 2080S, so I know my options are limited or I sometimes have to go to 1080p which isn't that bad.

You should be capable of hitting 60fps with most of even all of the RT stuff on, IMO - you would just need to activate DLSS in Quality Mode. You'll most likely enjoy better image quality than native 1440p, with performance similar to running at 1080p.