• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
quality this high on youtube certainly makes it easier to not have cable thats for sure.
i legit watch youtube far more than i do the various streaming apps we have. this is why i pay for youtube premium because i don't want to deal with any ads other than the channels themselves talking about sponsors.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Plus it was actually fairly informative about high end welding and molding machines, and challenges working with metal.

This was solid content, maybe even ... solid gold! 😉
Taking out the gold controller, you could easily see a similar kind of segment of How Its Made going over how these companies work with gold to make various items.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not even mesh. It's solidly enclosed in Gold(relatively thick too), which is very conductive. I would be impressed if it still works wirelessly assuming they don't fry the board. They could try to attach the antenna to the body. That will actually improve cell reception.
The lack of meshing or the high conductivity isn't the problem, it's obviously not going to radiate through the metal. It is however made of separate pieces that are screwed together, and that connection will be quite difficult to completely seal. Of course, since it's made of gold a direct metal to metal connection should actually work pretty well, so who knows.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You bought a next gen console didn't you? You could have used that money to donate to helping others instead but you didn't. If just 90 people who bought both consoles or 180 people who bought just one of them decided to donate that money instead, that would have matched the cost here. How about we don't criticize how he spends that money when a) he's demonstrated he's used his money and resources to help others, and b) it's part of his job and business to create attention for content on his site which in turn pays for his and his staff's salary.
Ahh yes, the old $500 console that I'm actually going to use versus a $90,000 controller that is being made for the fuck of it. Oh and throw in a pooling of resources to donate to charity comparison while you're at it. Defend him all you want but don't throw out this false equivalency bullshit.

_Jelly_fish

Oct 5, 2019
Melbourne
Weird how this thread is mostly people dunking way too much for saying it seems like a bit of a waste

Video was cool in how Linus explained how the controller was made and for the most part LTT is the one big youtuber I don't find too annoying to actually enjoy

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh yes, the old $500 console that I'm actually going to use versus a $90,000 controller that is being made for the fuck of it. Oh and throw in a pooling of resources to donate to charity comparison while you're at it. Defend him all you want but don't throw out this false equivalency bullshit.

He spent $90,000 not specifically on the controller itself but to make content for his channel which is how he and many people on his staff make a living. This has been pointed out many times now. Let's not deflect that you're trying to shame the idea of it when you yourself dropped at least $500 on a luxury good that could have gone to helping others instead. Not to mention that you already know that he used his resources to help donate to help a lot of people during this time of need and the reason he has the ability and resources to do so is because of how he has built his company and generated the content that creates the revenue to allow him to do so. It's content like this which helps put him in that position to begin with. So maybe before you start wagging your finger, maybe you should look at the bigger picture of what he does for a living, why he's where he is, how content like this keeps him relevant, how that content pays his staff and how you're guilty of buying luxury goods when other people are in need. Just because it's only $500 doesn't make it any less of an unnecessary item where you could have used that money to help other people. If you're going to shame other people for it, why don't you practice what you preach?

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
You could. But so does his content that doesn't involve making a $90,000 controller. You're not gonna convince me he'd have to shut production down and lay people off if they skipped the solid gold Xbox controller project.

Nah, your not getting a pass for this. Linus didn't "throw 90k away" at a gold controller. He spent 90k to provide entertainment for his audience. Wait until you see how much it costs to make a movie or TV show episode.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
He spent $90,000 not specifically on the controller itself but to make content for his channel which is how he and many people on his staff make a living. This has been pointed out many times now. Let's not deflect that you're trying to shame the idea of it when you yourself dropped at least $500 on a luxury good that could have gone to helping others instead. Not to mention that you already know that he used his resources to help donate to help a lot of people during this time of need and the reason he has the ability and resources to do so is because of how he has built his company and generated the content that creates the revenue to allow him to do so. It's content like this which helps put him in that position to begin with. So maybe before you start wagging your finger, maybe you should look at the bigger picture of what he does for a living, why he's where he is, how content like this keeps him relevant, how that content pays his staff and how you're guilty of buying luxury goods when other people are in need. Just because it's only $500 doesn't make it any less of an unnecessary item where you could have used that money to help other people. If you're going to shame other people for it, why don't you practice what you preach?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
"Theres a pandemic the entire planets been struggling with for over a year. People are losing their jobs left and right, fighting for their lives both physically and financially, not to mention the global economic crisis. Lets make a 90.000 dollar controller, thats a good idea!"

Indefensible. There are other ways he can make content and "put food on his staff's tables". its kind of funny this is how you chose to defend this shit, considering his channel has 10 million subscribers, 10 million! Linus could stand in front of a camera, do nothing but audibly fart for 10 mins and still make the same amount of money.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

THANK YOU. Was losing my mind reading some of these takes. All he's doing is creating content. You don't have to watch it. It takes 2 seconds and 2 brain cells to realize it's gold, it can be taken apart, melted down, and sold at the same exact value, after which he can put that money back into his business for other content.

That's literally the same exact thing they do with EVERY SINGLE PC building video they do. They put together a system, make a video about it, then disassemble it for the parts, and they reuse the components when they have another idea for a video. Literally the same exact thing. They've definitely made crazy and unnecessary set up and PC videos that have cost the same amount or more, but those wouldn't get the same reaction.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Weird how this thread is mostly people dunking way too much for saying it seems like a bit of a waste

Yep, and even the firm that does the molding told him to do something way more cost-effective. This is definitely in the Mythbusters "What if?" category of episodes. They make the controller, you get something informative, and they melt it back down to recoup expenses, give to charity or whatever they decide. It's gold - not 90k sunk cost.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
LOL it's really not for the fuck of it.
It's money spent to make contents that attract viewers. It's his job to make money for his channel. He's likely gonna make more than $90k from this $90k contents, unlike you and us and our console purchases.

*edit*

this lol.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If people are this angry about Linus investing 90k in an episode to make a gold controller that can just be melted back, I would assume that all these TV shows and movies that cost millions and millions of dollars to produce make them FURIOUS

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This is also Gold so it will only go up in value. So he can still get his 90k back and more in the future. Linus probably spent several thousands for the labor to cast and machine the controller, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i loved his wife sucking all the fun out of the room at the end. although i don't think he should melt it down as i'm sure there is some rich guy out there that will probably buy it from him at a profit.

Oct 29, 2017
That one producer (Colton I think?) having a hard time accepting how much it cost was great. I'm guessing him a Yvonne are the ones in charge of the channel finances.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Class.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The gold will act as a faraday cage if it doesn't short anything. So it will probably only work as a wired controller.
I was wondering about this too but it looks like it works just fine, though the bumpers are understandably harder to push in than a normal controller. Kind of blown away that it's fully functional; really goes to show these guys know what they're doing (water-cooled house notwithstanding)
Folks, it's a reference. A reference that's video is already posted in this thread.

Also, I find it funny you hone in on the weight part but didn't question the "sound crummy" part. That should have been a dead giveaway.
Some people have never challenged the robot devil to a contest in order to save the soul of their friend after he is taken to robot hell for violating his robotology vows which he made to help himself recover from an unhealthy addiction to jacking-on. And it shows.

Last edited: