• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
The gold will act as a faraday cage if it doesn't short anything. So it will probably only work as a wired controller.
It's surprisingly difficult to make a Faraday cage solid enough to completely block a Bluetooth signal. It will mess up the RF for sure, but it actually wouldn't surprise me if this controller still kind of works wirelessly as long as they sit close to the console.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'd retire long before it got to this point, but he seems born to youtube
He's mentioned before that he's seriously considered retiring and is pretty much already at a point where his channels and company could run without him but ultimately decided against it because he genuinely does it out of love of tech and the passion of sharing cool stuff with others.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the first video when it aired and wondered when the finished product was going to show up. That looks great! Hell of a proof of concept type of idea.

And a big LOL at those bitching about him doing this project. Jesus Christ, some of you are showing your asses.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Completely missed opportunity to have 2 Chainz cameo for an episode of "Most Expensivest". C'mon Linus.

Wait there's hope for part three.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You could. But so does his content that doesn't involve making a $90,000 controller. You're not gonna convince me he'd have to shut production down and lay people off if they skipped the solid gold Xbox controller project.

You're ignoring the fact that such a video draws attention to his content. The fact that we've got a thread about it and we're talking about it is proof of that. So it gets him and his channel in the spotlight. Some will just watch that, others will continue to watch more of his content and even some might subscribe. Would this get as much attention if it was just replacing the shell with a 3D printed one or a metal one? No, it wouldn't.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It's surprisingly difficult to make a Faraday cage solid enough to completely block a Bluetooth signal. It will mess up the RF for sure, but it actually wouldn't surprise me if this controller still kind of works wirelessly as long as they sit close to the console.
But it's not even mesh. It's solidly enclosed in Gold(relatively thick too), which is very conductive. I would be impressed if it still works wirelessly assuming they don't fry the board. They could try to attach the antenna to the body. That will actually improve cell reception.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
You're ignoring the fact that such a video draws attention to his content. The fact that we've got a thread about it and we're talking about it is proof of that. So it gets him and his channel in the spotlight. Some will just watch that, others will continue to watch more of his content and even some might subscribe. Would this get as much attention if it was just replacing the shell with a 3D printed one or a metal one? No, it wouldn't.

Yeah, its not like they couldn't literally sell the gold the controller is made of anyway and hes probably done several gimmick builds on that show like when he had several of super high resolution, bleeding edge monitors linked together that probably cost roughly as much if not more than that goofy controller anyway. Its purely shit meant to get people to tune in to the channel.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically a no lose project for him. The worst case is that he melts it down and gets back most of what it cost to make, aside from whatever he paid that company to do the molding. The views from the videos and merch will more than cover for those costs.

Imagine if he keeps this thing and uses it at events in the future. 5 bucks to play a few minutes of Halo with a gold controller

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I applaud his charity, but that doesn't give him no free pass. Billionaires donate fortunes all the time and do gross shit with money I will readily criticize as well.
This.
I saw the first video when it aired and wondered when the finished product was going to show up. That looks great! Hell of a proof of concept type of idea.

And a big LOL at those bitching about him doing this project. Jesus Christ, some of you are showing your asses.
Oh please do tell ...

Oct 29, 2017
I think they must be used to spending that much money on a several things at once, but not on spending it on such a small single object. However, this is the one item that doesn't lose its value if they break it.

wild_fire

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't a solid gold controller weigh hundreds of pounds and sound crummy?

9bA0.gif

Also this thread:
Z7HeRxU.png

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Gold controller aside, I still think it's cool he did one of those "build a computer for a fan" things and then on to hire the one lady as his social media person. She got a free PC and a job!

Anyway, the gold controller is stupid and wasteful, but it's entertaining, which is the point. He makes content for the laymen.

Sure, he could've spent the money on something else, but the same could've been said when he made the 16k gaming display or that $20k gaming PC, or any other elaborate ass shit he does with technology.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This.

Oh please do tell ...
He runs a company making YouTube videos. Making a gold controller attracts views which makes money for the company. When he is done he can sell the said controller or melt the gold and sell the gold.

Linus also does charity work, produced bunch of PPE stuff early in pandemic, and employs bunch more people then vast majority of similar channels.

Hell, building a super powerful 8K gaming desktop is more wasteful since gold isn't going anywhere and will always be a hot commodity.

Seriously this thread is something else.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know you could just call up government gold reserves and order a drop

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with this. It's attention seeking content but he doesn't pretend that it's not that, and he's very clear about what he's going to do with it after. It's also at least interesting from a crafting standpoint. It's certainly way better than other YouTuber schticks like eating hot sauce, smashing stuff or "pranking" people.

Plus he's done plenty of good stuff already. It's fine to do stuff like this now and then.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
This.

Oh please do tell ...

You bought a next gen console didn't you? You could have used that money to donate to helping others instead but you didn't. If just 90 people who bought both consoles or 180 people who bought just one of them decided to donate that money instead, that would have matched the cost here. How about we don't criticize how he spends that money when a) he's demonstrated he's used his money and resources to help others, and b) it's part of his job and business to create attention for content on his site which in turn pays for his and his staff's salary.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
He runs a company making YouTube videos. Making a gold controller attracts views which makes money for the company. When he is done he can sell the said controller or melt the gold and sell the gold.

Linus also does charity work, produced bunch of PPE stuff early in pandemic, and employs bunch more people then vast majority of similar channels.

Hell, building a super powerful 8K gaming desktop is more wasteful since gold isn't going anywhere and will always be a hot commodity.

Seriously this thread is something else.
Much better than the dumb videos of people purposely breaking new hard to get consoles just for views.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
I enjoy his content here and there i like the ones where his co workers get new PC set ups you learn a lot about them

think my least favorite thing are the typical youtube thumbnails

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
You bought a next gen console didn't you? You could have used that money to donate to helping others instead but you didn't. If just 90 people who bought both consoles or 180 people who bought just one of them decided to donate that money instead, that would have matched the cost here.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

Oct 25, 2017
completely ignoring pointless conversation about costs involved, these videos, especially part 2, were incredibly informative about a topic I knew next to nothing about. Great partnership work with the company doing the work to get so much detailed information in these videos.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with this. It's attention seeking content but he doesn't pretend that it's not that, and he's very clear about what he's going to do with it after. It's also at least interesting from a crafting standpoint. It's certainly way better than other YouTuber schticks like eating hot sauce, smashing stuff or "pranking" people.

Plus he's done plenty of good stuff already. It's fine to do stuff like this now and then.

Quite frankly, 90 grand is a drop in the bucket for these guys anyway - both in terms of revenue and expenses. It just annoys people because it's such an overt example of pointless extravagance. But then, that's just YouTube in a nutshell.

Last I checked, youtubers like Mr Beast were spending in the region of 3 million a month on their videos.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

How is it any more ridiculous than someone else sitting here wagging their finger and being judgmental about how someone is spending their money when you factor in those two things about Linus? Buying a next gen console right now is also a luxury and unnecessary purchase but we're not sitting here pointing fingers at people buying new consoles and trying to shame them given what's going on, are we? Nobody needs to buy a next gen console right now. People can still play their current gaming devices instead of dropping $500 on a console, but they choose to buy a luxury item. The difference with me and you is I'm not shaming Linus nor am I shaming people who bought next gen consoles. You and other people in this thread are pointing out one while looking the other way for the other when the reality is given the context of Linus' history, who I'm sure has done more to help than the people who are shaming him, he shouldn't be getting these judgmental takes at all. That's really the more ridiculous take here.

Oct 25, 2017
he spent 90k to create ~36 minutes worth of entertainment for his show...he didnt spend 90k on an xbox controller

Wandavision was like 25 million an episode

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a next gen console right now is also a luxury and unnecessary purchase but we're not sitting here pointing fingers at people buying new consoles and trying to shame them.

Not to mention we LITERALLY have a pinned thread about how Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/ect use slave labor to help them make their Consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool to see the process of it all and it seemed to go rather smoothly.

I wan to try one of those welders now.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
he spent 90k to create ~36 minutes worth of entertainment for his show...he didnt spend 90k on an xbox controller

Wandavision was like 25 million an episode
Yep, exactly right. Plus most of the gold material cost will be recovered either by selling the controller or through melting and selling the gold. But no, let's waggle our Era virtual fingers and rail against Linus.

To be fair, he spent more money on labor and hiring that molding company vs the stupid gold cost. Conversations on this board are something else.

Linus got material out of this for 3 episodes. Considering the views for the channel, $90K is a great investment.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why anyone should care how he spends his own money, especially a dude who's given not only money but time to charitable ventures.

Additionally:
- This is content that will be referenced elsewhere, driving a lot more traffic to his businesses
- If he ends up being able to sell it, he really isn't going to be out of pocket (or if he is, he'll easily recoup the costs) and may even make a decent return.
- If it doesn't end up selling, he'll be able to melt it down and recoup the bulk of the costs... with the rest easily being generated by ad impressions
- He can afford it. Why is this considered extravagant, when other people's purchases aren't? Easy. It's all largely relative. 90k for a business stunt seems unsightly to you, because its an incredible amount of money to most of us but a lot of our purchases are also simply out of reach for those with more financial hardships.

Perhaps its time to stop worrying about what he's doing, and focus on the content itself. Personally, I found it informative and pretty entertaining.