• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Linus is a big PC guy so it's surprising and interesting that he is actually doing this for a console. (also not surprising that a lot on this forum don't know or care about him even considering how popular he is)

Basically he thought oh lol SSD, nothing new here. But he ended up learning it's not the SSD that is making the PS5 different.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
To me personally, PS5 SSD philosophy did seem interesting during the meeting but it was really after reading on UE5 and how important the I/O is that I started to trully appreciate what Cerny was thinking here. Quite an interesting approach to overall system design and we'll see what the overall impact is when we start getting the games for it, especially 1st party ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, I am surprised he made this video. But he does a good job to educate people despite meaning that he has to put a spotlight on what he said and how it happened. To me it shows that he cares about his integrity to speak up about this.

He has done it before when he got called out by Louis Rossman and he went to NY at his shop to learn so its cool to see.

Hopefully he will remember to always be wary of fanboys.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I dont think it was so much as the PS5 but that he damaged his relationship with people like Tim Sweeney. And people were using the misinformation he put out to attack people he needs to work with.
That definitely makes sense.

Well, he did mess up in his job, one he takes dead seriously, in front of an audience of millions; that's both humbling and humilliating. I think his tone was perfectly appropriate.

I do find it hilarious how half the thread thinks his apology is not enough and the other half thinks it's too much. It's literally impossible to please you guys.
Linus made a dumb, uninformed comment about Tim Sweeney regarding the new storage device in an upcoming video game console.
Meanwhile the video starts off with a quote by Tim Sweeney, along with a black and white photo of him, while dramatic piano music plays in the background...
I'd reserve that stuff for when people have died, not for a tech squabble, but ok.

Other than that I think most in this thread will agree that he did the right thing by issuing an apology at all, regardless of tone.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Waring
Consoles moving to SSDs changes the entire industry. I don't get the master race mocking it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
When he realized he was wrong he tweeted to Sweeney saying he wanted to collaborate with Epic to do a video, and some people called him out. You can't call the guy a sell out and then ask him to do a collaboration to attract views lol

Good thing he realized he was wrong and apologised.

The whole time he was doing the show and dance to reveal his super duper raid 0 ssd enclosure I knew he would eventually regret it. That's the downside of having live streams every week. In the attempt to entertain he screwed up big time. Luke was mentally facepalming the entire time. He really did let his team down on this one and it's a good thing he knows it. It would have been awesome if he had someone from Epic to show off their engine, or just talk about stuff.

Recently he had a friendly race with MKBHD, the first to get to 10mil. MKBHD had interviews with Elon Musk (ugh right I know, but Tesla is very popular, and SpaceX), and having Epic people on LTT would have awesome for them.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Funny you should say that. Earlier in the week he had a very ignorant stance on dating outside your race to end racism, which he never really apologized for but he did donate $20,000. Kind of wish he would've given such a dramatic apology for that instead of platform war bullshit.
Details?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good fucking video. Like, classy apology. I understand if people think it was over the top, but Linus takes this stuff very seriously and you can tell he's really embarrassed and feels like an ass.

What I love is he turned around and made probably the best video I've seen so far explaining why the PS5's SSD is so good and why next gen is so exciting in that regard. Good going guy.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
He must be glad the ps5 event was delayed. But yeh pretty decent video.

I think a lot of these conversations are complicated by the term SSD, it should really be about the I/O architecture...but that takes longer to say I guess. But as a result you get alot of people running out there looking for any available SSD drive with a faster speed printed on the box

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Seemed a little over the top. I'm at the point with the SSD talk where I was a few months ago with the teraflop talk. Just show us the games.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
It's good that more and more the conversions around are acknowledging the jumps the IO on ps5 is making but still I think people struggle with how that relates to games.

In PC terms I guess you could say hey well it's like having a system with almost unlimited ram ..think about how that changes things. But it's also about the SW being created to specifically exploit that..which is harder to visualize , until UE5 came along, but then again that was just an example of one setting. People still don't know what say a sports game like FIFA or Madden looks like if built to take advantage of these hardware design quirks

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
he literally covers this in the video. They did a video where a 5x faster SSD made no real difference to game performance - now he points out that's because of Windows/driver overheads. You can't easily Brute force it

ps5 is about having a 5.5GB SSD (8-9GB effective due to compression) and actually deliver that to the game engine without significant CPU overhead. PC crippples read speeds due to file system and other overheads, *and* requires huge CPU performance to handle decompression and even just file IO

the big thing here IMO isn't 'lol brute force' - it's recognising that is a dumb solution. PCs need to improve to get more out of what people put in. reduce the overheads, improve efficiency. So that when you put your fancy 15GB/s SSD in, it actually behaves like one, and not just barely faster than a 2-3GB/s one

I was surprised when Linus went as far in that segment of the video to suggest the PS5 theoretically could reach 22 GB/s.

I wonder what he gleamed from Cerney's video to draw that conclusion or did he get additional details from someone else?

It's a bit silly to make the intro (as far as I've seen) so heavy. It's not that big a deal that you couldn't present it as a lighthearted video.

He was attacking Sweeney's reputation. He certainly wasn't the only person who did this (just look at this forum) but Linus realized he made the attack too personal.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I barely know anything about him but this video makes me respect him 10x. It takes a huge amount of integrity to readily admit your own mistakes like that.

fetchimage
Nah. It's a very easy concept. More videos=more views=more money.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
And yet there are PC fans that continue to say the SSD is going to do nothing to put the PS5 ahead of the PC in any way.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Well, now there are people trying to say that a person who not only has nothing to gain but is admittedly biased towards a totally different system to the Playstation, lied. Now when the games are revealed, people accuse the presentation of being false just to not admit the power of the SSD, it's the only thing left to do.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
It was his first post on the protests and racism going on. He said something to the tune of if more people mixed up the faster everyone will look the same and end racism.

Found it.

I can see this as being tone deaf but considering how many people subscribe to his twitter and youtube this is good that he is taking some sort of stance.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I was surprised when Linus went as far in that segment of the video to suggest the PS5 theoretically could reach 22 GB/s.

I wonder what he gleamed from Cerney's video to draw that conclusion or did he get additional details from someone else?

Cerny says it during the talk.
youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

17:45

Raw speed: 5.5 GB/s
Typical Compression: 8-9 GB/s
Best case scenario: 22 GB/s

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
So Sony paid him off too?

On a serious note - I get the feeling he's doing this because he let it get out of hand and realised that Sony might probably stop sending him swag to review on his channel.

I want to believe the apology is genuine but we live in a duplicitous world.

All the same - this was a lame beef.
It's probably more of the fact that what he said was completely unprofessional and way off base. He did good though.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, I remember that Linus intended to interview a Sony engineer, does anyone know if he had any success with that?
Nah, too lazy to dig up the tweets but he mentioned that getting "in contact" was going very slowly and Sweeney didn't want an interview either. So I guess he just gave up and decided to do the research himself.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And yet there are PC fans that continue to say the SSD is going to do nothing to put the PS5 ahead of the PC in any way.

Well it won't, because PS4 and XBO will hold the new consoles back long enough for PC to get these super SSDs. Then it's just business as usual.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Well it won't, because PS4 and XBO will hold the new consoles back long enough for PC to get these super SSDs. Then it's just business as usual.

Ah... Who would be buying those SSDs? Most people would need to buy a new Mobo just to be able to get any use for those new speeds. Hell Intel's new CPU doesn't even support PCIe 4.0, so people who are upgrading their CPUs right now will probably be buying a new mobo that is just PCIe 3.0 unless they are going AMD and get the right Mobo for it.
I doubt the majority of PC gamers are even going to upgrade their GPUs for another year or two.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Not to mention act like it's normal for this amount of PC developers to be coming out of the woodwork like this praising the design and hoping to see some of this funnel back into future PC hardware and software as soon as possible.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017

Multiplays no.. First party games yes.They both already said they were developing games exclusive for the next gen.

edit: Cerny did also mentioned that ps5 architecture may potentially show up on the pc for the future. Biggest take away is that these consoles may have inadvertly cause innovations.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched this and came looking for a thread just to find this at the top of the page.

Surprisingly thourough apology. Glad he straightened it out. People are way too salty about this ssd thing.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Good on him for apologizing to Sweeney. His breakdown of the tech was solid and I'm sure more easy to digest than Cerny's. Though I really enjoyed Cerny's presentation.

Can't stress enough how pumped I am for the next generation.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Good on him for apologizing to Sweeney. His breakdown of the tech was solid and I'm sure more easy to digest than Cerny's. Though I really enjoyed Cerny's presentation.

Can't stress enough how pumped I am for the next generation.

Right? Gosh I keep trying to tell people all you have to do is sit down with an developer and see them light up trying to explain to you why this is exciting.

Excited creators are creators at their best. Can't wait for people to get in it deep with these new toys.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ that is some dramatic music for an apology video about a hard drive. Give me a break.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Great video by Linus. I thoroughly enjoy his content, but the misconceptions he was spreading about the technology was just odd coming from someone who usually researches what he shows. But being a PC-centric guy like him, I guess he probably just didn't care enough initially?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ that is some dramatic music for an apology video about a hard drive. Give me a break.

His embarrassment is his unprofessionalism and being ignorant. He has worked hard to build a reputation as someone who is reputable. People can talk shit on him if they want to, but Linus is good at what he does, and he works hard, and he knows his stuff. He's very clearly annoyed at himself, because he takes the responsibility seriously. He knows that literally millions of people look to him for consumer-digestible, accurate gaming and enthusiast tech info. That reputation is not easily earned, and it is very easily lost. People will try to poke holes in him and find biases and things, but he's been very consistent and earned the respect even of people he criticises. He personally knows people from every manufacturer, platform holder, storefront, retail chain, etc. out there. This is very important to him that he maintains that.

It's not about the hard drive. It's about his being an ass and acting smug when he was wrong, and he's owning up to it, and trying to fix damage he's caused, because he's now made the life of someone whose respect I'm sure he'd like to have, a lot harder for no reason other than his own pride.

That's pretty mature of him to overcome that pride and put in an A+ informational reversal. Like seriously, this is one of the best videos I have now for referring people to about the subject.

Maybe more people should be able to own up to when they're smug assholes....

Anyway, about the music too, like, ehh, that's how LMG is. They always have a weird flair for the dramatic and kind of sense of humor that crops up weirdly, but that's their personality. What he's doing here is mature, and professional, and I wish more people would act like he does here.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
His embarrassment is his unprofessionalism and being ignorant. He has worked hard to build a reputation as someone who is reputable. People can talk shit on him if they want to, but Linus is good at what he does, and he works hard, and he knows his stuff. He's very clearly annoyed at himself, because he takes the responsibility seriously. He knows that literally millions of people look to him for consumer-digestible, accurate gaming and enthusiast tech info. That reputation is not easily earned, and it is very easily lost. People will try to poke holes in him and find biases and things, but he's been very consistent and earned the respect even of people he criticises. He personally knows people from every manufacturer, platform holder, storefront, retail chain, etc. out there. This is very important to him that he maintains that.

It's not about the hard drive. It's about his being an ass and acting smug when he was wrong, and he's owning up to it, and trying to fix damage he's caused, because he's now made the life of someone whose respect I'm sure he'd like to have, a lot harder for no reason other than his own pride.

That's pretty mature of him to overcome that pride and put in an A+ informational reversal. Like seriously, this is one of the best videos I have now for referring people to about the subject.

Maybe more people should be able to own up to when they're smug assholes....

Anyway, about the music too, like, ehh, that's how LMG is. They always have a weird flair for the dramatic and kind of sense of humor that crops up weirdly, but that's their personality. What he's doing here is mature, and professional, and I wish more people would act like he does here.
Fair enough.

The music is still ridiculous.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Great video and huge props to Linus. Most people just ignore the criticism and wait for it to blow over but it seems like he really took the time to learn about the system and correct his errors. Watching the Road to PS5 video is really a necessity if you want to understand how the PS5's SSD architecture is so different compared to what we're normally used to. I really can't wait to see what Sony's first party devs can do with it when they really start to take advantage of it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Multiplays no.. First party games yes.They both already said they were developing games exclusive for the next gen.
Microsoft said that all their first party Series X titles would also be on Xbox One for at least 2 years. Personally to me it looks like Microsoft is going "More power! Give it all she's got!", which works well with cross-generation gaming, while Sony is trying to create specific features to add new functionality and make the console easier to develop great looking/sounding games for, which makes cross-generation development more difficult.

The way Sony is handling the SSD is an example, as Linus said, it allows for game development practices that just can't be done by just using a faster SSD. Although due to that, it's likely that only true exclusives will make full use of it until other platforms catch up.

Last edited: