• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
youtu.be

I’ve Disappointed and Embarrassed Myself.

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney recently stated that the upcoming Playstation 5 would feature a storage architecture "far ahead of anything you can buy on anythin...

Linus apologizes for talking out of his ass about ps5 ssd.

Didn't really care about the apology.

Value to me was I felt this gave me a better understanding of the ps5 SSD than Cerny's presentation.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished watching it. Apology is whatever, I was looking forward to him going to to a bigger SSD analysis, but the video seems a bit rushed out the door for the sake of the apology. Hope he can go into more detail and provide better examples as he and his teem are some of the best out there and helping layman's like me understand tech.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Just like 12 TF is greater than 10 TF, 5.5GB/s is greater than 2.5GB/s. It's not hard to grasp that the PS5's SSD is truly something remarkable. We have to wait until the PC market brings 7.0GB/s SSDs to catch up and surpass whatever voodoo magic Cerny did.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that in this video, Linus made it easier to understand the advantages of their SSD better than Cerny lol.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Just like 12 TF is greater than 10 TF, 5.5GB/s is greater than 2.5GB/s. It's not hard to grasp that the PS5's SSD is truly something remarkable. We have to wait until the PC market brings 7.0GB/s SSDs to catch up and surpass whatever voodoo magic Cerny did.

We'll see. 32GB of RAM and an nVME SSD might be able to hack it just fine until someone makes an SSD that fast or dedicated I/O hardware similar to the PS5.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
just watched it, was surprised he made this but yeah The Cherno's videos going over the Cerny presentation are great

Jan 21, 2019
Did you watch the video? This is not just about bandwidth. There is much more under the hood than just 5.5gbs.

Great to see him own up to it and making an informative video teaching what the SSD actually does.

We'll see. 32GB of RAM and an nVME SSD might be able to hack it just fine until someone makes an SSD that fast or dedicated I/O hardware similar to the PS5.

I'd be shocked to see a game engine requiring 32GB of RAM for the highest quality assets before their SSD handling catches up. Game engines will be designed around the Xbox SSD to make development easier for multiplats.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy has a hate boner for consoles. Especially playstation.
The guy has a hate boner for consoles. Especially xbox.
giphy.webp

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At first I thought it was a joke video but no, the apology is very real! Good on him.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
7GB/s SSD on PC will not make things much better since PC still lacks acceleration modules that PS5 has, OS, file system and GPU driver slow things down, etc.

But PS5 is a clear example of what is possible, and will hopefully drive development of new hardware and software solutions for PC that will accelerate not only SSD speeds [PCIE gen5 speeds will blow this gen out of water], but also other bottlenecks.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like he came around pretty quickly, and saw the error of his ways instead of doubling down and/or ignoring it.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

I’ve Disappointed and Embarrassed Myself.

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney recently stated that the upcoming Playstation 5 would feature a storage architecture "far ahead of anything you can buy on anythin...

Linus apologizes for talking out of his ass about ps5 ssd.

Didn't really care about the apology.

Value to me was I felt this gave me a better understanding of the ps5 SSD than Cerny's presentation.

check out these 3 vids. Its a game engine dev going through Cerny's presentation (he did one for the unreal engine too) and found it very informative

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
It's ironic that in this video, Linus made it easier to understand the advantages of their SSD better than Cerny lol.
The guy has a hate boner for consoles. Especially playstation.

These two comments so close to each other is hilarious to me

Anyway this was an informative video if you felt like Cerny's talk was too technical for you. It's not as in depth as The Cherno's analysis but its does a fine job of explaining the benefits that the PS5's architecture brings to the table

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
it's interesting that tech you tubers think they have more understanding about these things than actual devs, console architect or people who develop games in general.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, his breakdown is a great example of what devs mean when they talk about the quality of the PS5 architecture.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Good on him for owning up to it. I definitely saw his remarks being used around here as ammo in the console wars, it doesn't help anything.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
its way more than just the bandwidth, there a few bottlenecks down the chain, even in this video linus admits things like a custom flash controller, etc. its not far fetched right now that just brute force speed is enough.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This all seems kind of silly to me when placed in the context of the greater scheme of things these days, however, the apology was actually well thought-out and sincerely delivered. If anything, maybe it will inspire internet-people think twice about their assumptions and step-up their apology-games in other matters. I dunno. Send post.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's as big of a deal as he made it but cool to see him go through everything and do a new video. I wish Sony or Epic had talked to him but I bet the NDA is still in affect until the reveal.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I had no idea about this and also didn't care about the apology but thought the PS5 SSD breakdown was interesting stuff.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
it's interesting that tech you tubers think they have more understanding about these things than actual devs, console architect or people who develop games in general.
To be honest, the same can be said here, reading some of the comments in these next-gen threads.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Apology videos = youtube views = revenue for Linus. I wouldnt be surprised if he made the first video with plans to make an apology video later.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Good on him. Made me even more excited for PS5. Going to finally check out those Cherny videos now!