• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a video being floated around everywhere as a demo of the SSD in action. I'm not sure if people realize it, but that might not have anything to do with SSD. The SSD is only really necessary if it needs to fetch something not already resident in memory. Typically if you are respawning back to a nearby area or respawning to a level which you have entirely cached in memory, you do not need to fetch from SSD. You just need to reset all actors to initial state and move the player position.

Games that have to re-fetch from drive are typically ones that are rapidly flushing out environment and actors and whatever else from RAM. Like open world games that stream locations. In these cases it could be checking SSD. For a lot of cases in the video, though, there is a decent chance it was just resetting state from memory with no request to SSD at all.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I cannot believe people are in here talking about not being able to touch the console, ignoring the fact that we're in a real world pandemic, like that's some kind of real scenario a user should be concerned about.

I know we're getting close to console releases, so maybe this is expected, but discourse has got to be at an all time low.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Has it occurred to anyone that the PS5 stuff is more secret or behind closed doors because it makes people want it more? The talk this entire summer and early fall so far has been constant PS5 talk with folks nervous to pre order and get even normal blog post glimpses of content. I am hyped. Imagine if things are "secret" until you open it and turn it on, as far as UI and certain features.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
There's a video being floated around everywhere as a demo of the SSD in action. I'm not sure if people realize it, but that might not have anything to do with SSD. The SSD is only really necessary if it needs to fetch something not already resident in memory. Typically if you are respawning back to a nearby area or respawning to a level which you have entirely cached in memory, you do not need to fetch from SSD. You just need to reset all actors to initial state and move the player position.

Games that have to re-fetch from drive are typically ones that are rapidly flushing out environment and actors and whatever else from RAM. Like open world games that stream locations. In these cases it could be checking SSD. For a lot of cases in the video, though, there is a decent chance it was just resetting state from memory with no request to SSD at all.
That's one of many others where that isn't the case though. Astrobot level load and demons souls teleportation and ratchet rifts show the SSD in action

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's one of many others where that isn't the case though. Astrobot level load and demons souls teleportation and ratchet rifts show the SSD in action

Yup, I agree about the Astrobot level load. That is very likely hitting SSD (even though I think the entire game can actually fit in memory...) But all the other stuff like respawns in Astrobot? Most likely not.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I remember in much more innocent times people being disgusted that events were being cancelled, people should accept by now that Sony just don't fuck around.
Exactly. Why would they be allowed to touch a single unit with multiple people interacting it also risk damaging it because they have to continually disinfect. Vs having a controller for each group of people to use and don't even need to disinfect.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017

This has a nice demonstration of the pressure required to use the adaptive triggers under different circumstances. Sounds like it works great in combination with the haptic feedback.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's Astrobot, not a system-wide controller tutorial, but the controller looks great.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yup, I agree about the Astrobot level load. That is very likely hitting SSD (even though I think the entire game can actually fit in memory...) But all the other stuff like respawns in Astrobot? Most likely not.

If its like Astrobot VR the game state is persistent or whatever as you're respawning so yeah it's just resetting the player position and not reloading

But for a game like Demon's Souls where the game state and enemies reset on death, that's where the comparisons will be handy

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
If people simply didn't care it would be fine, but people are calling people conspiratorial and saying people are spreading FUD for wanting to know quite frankly quite simple features of a product that's available for pre-order.

Because there's enough threads where people are voicing their frustrations and obviously everyone is allowed to comment on whatever thread they want but it's exhausting for people who are just genuinely excited and want to have a normal conversation without watching people devolve conversations into borderline conspiracies about what Sony is hiding and why they're being 'secretive' when they probably just have their own marketing schedule and plan.
There's a lot of things that people are rightfully calling Sony out for but it's getting harder for people to just be excited for and talk about the console without discourse.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If its like Astrobot VR the game state is persistent or whatever as you're respawning so yeah it's just resetting the player position and not reloading

But for a game like Demon's Souls where the game state and enemies reset on death, that's where the comparisons will be handy

Even in that Demon's Souls comparison we can't say for certain when it comes to the remake. We don't know if they restructured the memory layout and code design for respawning to an area you're already in. What we could probably say 100% certain, though, is warping from a stone in the Nexus over to a new area is 100% going to hit the SSD in a big way as it fetches a whole new biome. So that is something we should all look forward to :)

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
You haven't seen the reddit comments, literally mocking people for wanting to see the UI, settings and features, or saying "who cares, it clearly sold out and will be popular so shut up" and the like.

My point is, the UX is important to know ahead of time, and downplaying it's importance is ridiculous. Further more, these are the same people who got so hype over the start up animation tease months ago, and ridiculed the xsx for sharing a UI with xbox one (for some reason).

No shit it can play games. They're gonna make fun of people wanting to know what else it can do? If the answer is, "nothing" you don't consider that important to know before dropping 500 usd on it during a recession?
Again why should they consider it an important component to pre-order when the games shown is enough for them? People will do what they feel is right for them. There is toxicity on both sides, sure, but forcing people to be concerned about UI/UX is what leads people to dismiss options as concern trolling.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I understand all the points people are making in this thread, but I still felt a bit disappointed. They showed this as japanese YT's were getting hands-on with PS5 (wich kinda happened) but I was expecting the same level of information/footage we got from the people with xbox. More UI info. Maybe seeing Chachacha playing MonsterHunter on the PS5 (since that's her main game) etc etc. Instead we got a couple of minutes of Godfall and some more of Astro's playroom and that was it.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Don't have time to watch all videos so can someone please tell which video shows PS5 booting from turned off and/or system UI, game launching from library.

Any games being played other than Astrobot/Godfall. Have zero interest in both those games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bit strange they werent allowe to use the share button or access the ps5 ui? Why are sony being so weird about these?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again why should they consider it an important component to pre-order when the games shown is enough for them? People will do what they feel is right for them. There is toxicity on both sides, sure, but forcing people to be concerned about UI/UX is what leads people to dismiss options as concern trolling.

It's not "forcing people to care". It's constantly "defending why we care and have that we aren't being shown it" .

Games are enough for you! Good for you! It's not enough for everyone, but we're not allowed to voice our displeasure? Get out of here with that. We want to know if people with minor disabilities like me to major disabilities were taken into account. We want to know if our 1440p gaming monitors were a waste of money. We want to know if we're giving up any features or comforts by selling our ps4s.

But fuck us right?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I understand all the points people are making in this thread, but I still felt a bit disappointed. They showed this as japanese YT's were getting hands-on with PS5 (wich kinda happened) but I was expecting the same level of information/footage we got from the people with xbox. More UI info. Maybe seeing Chachacha playing MonsterHunter on the PS5 (since that's her main game) etc etc. Instead we got a couple of minutes of Godfall and some more of Astro's playroom and that was it.

It's very strange that some want them to play last generation games on the PS5 or look at the UI as opposed to things that really show off the console itself. Like its SSD or how the controller is used while playing games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could this be the Apple strategy of carrot on a stick info dumps? People seem to get thirstier for news the more Sony does this. And pre-order links disappear in seconds.

yeah i suppose, its more frustrating to me personally, but hey look at how well nintendo does while barely saying or showing anything, guess sony will do the same from now on. Ugh, i miss the days of shue on stage showing the ps4 ui, the "this is how you share games video", e3 2013-2017, psx. I used to feel really excited about the brand and it felt like they had alot to say in the years up to and following the launch of the ps4. Im still excited for the ps5, i just miss the playstation of 4 years ago.

obviously covid has made things hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

That's fair but we did know it was gonna be limited to a couple games a little in advance. Idk if anyone should have been expecting the UI at this, Sony has always said they will detail it specifically in a UX presentation/video.

I get that people wanna see more games even if theyre older ones, but its clear at this point Sony's marketing strategy is to show the games off when they're ready, when the loading optimization and RT effects are final. They wanna show off the stuff that's gonna stand out the most for new games, because new games is the focus for their launch.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's very strange that some want them to play last generation games on the PS5 or look at the UI as opposed to things that really show off the console itself. Like its SSD or how the controller is used while playing games.

Because we already saw the controller showcase with Geoff months ago, and SSD has been the only thing they've been showcasing already this entire time?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
yeah i suppose, its more frustrating to me personally, but hey look at how well nintendo does while barely saying or showing anything, guess sony will do the same from now on. Ugh, i miss the days of shue on stage showing the ps4 ui, the "this is how you share games video", e3 2013-2017, psx. I used to feel really excited about the brand and it felt like they had alot to say in the years up to and following the launch of the ps4. Im still excited for the ps5, i just miss the playstation of 4 years ago.

obviously covid has made things hard.

Switch is the best reversal I can remember in recent times. Can't believe it was Nintendo of all companies too but they nailed that (I think it was revealed January and released March that year?).

Luckily we're not that far from launch but it's indeed a far cry from PS4's reveal.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

no one is forcing anyone to be concerned, all i see is people trying their best to silence and dog pile any who talks about wanting to see the ui. Now thats toxic corporate boot licking to its fullest extent

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Last generation games is the majority of what we'll be playing on our PS5s when we get them, so that at least makes a ton of sense. UI is just something I personally am curious about because we've not see it.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
anyone else feel let down by these reveals? Maybe it's bc it was Japan only, but feels really anti-climactic

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A bit strange they werent allowe to use the share button or access the ps5 ui? Why are sony being so weird about these?

Holding it for another marketing beat.

Obviously there'll be a time when people have their 'own' review units and can do more or less whatever they want with them, at least with the confines of embargos or whatever. But this wasn't that.

Side note: some people asked why no photos of the back of the unit. Apparently there was a sticker on the back with private info on it, so they were asked to not photograph the back.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Has it occurred to anyone that the PS5 stuff is more secret or behind closed doors because it makes people want it more? The talk this entire summer and early fall so far has been constant PS5 talk with folks nervous to pre order and get even normal blog post glimpses of content. I am hyped. Imagine if things are "secret" until you open it and turn it on, as far as UI and certain features.

Now that would totally make sense. In a scenario where PS5 isn't sold out.

Sony kept basic stuff a secret long enough now for all I care. I want hands on impressions, not by Japanese YouTubers with weird logos but from journalists like the DF guys wo are able to dig deep into the system. Am I really asking too much here, given that the PS5 launches in just 6 weeks?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
anyone else feel let down by these reveals? Maybe it's bc it was Japan only, but feels really anti-climactic

These were never marketed as reveals. This is the first time Japanese folks are getting any direct marketing from Sony, so it was always gonna be more like the Keighley hands on, with games we've seen before. Getting to see the loading optimized in Astro and seeing some uncut Godfall footage was nice at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony didn't mention any of this stuff on the blog or twitter, so nobody should have had any expectations of this being significant. It was nice to learn that the machine is quiet and it was good to see a little more Astrobot, and that's basically it.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I just want to see BC stuffs, like does it enhance old games at all like xbsx auto hdr etc.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
I find that PS5 gameplay from today very suspicious. Anyone can think what they want, I will just leave this here:

Look at right side of screen, there's a mouse.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
Sony didn't mention any of this stuff on the blog or twitter, so nobody should have had any expectations of this being significant. It was nice to learn that the machine is quiet and it was good to see a little more Astrobot, and that's basically it.

Yah I hear you. I just feel like this could have been a bigger opportunity. Sony knows the community is hungry for more information, esp. given the Xbox clarity and recent momentum. Also this is the first time we've seen and heard the console... this should be a big deal... and it's not.

I feel like Sony could have done better and made a larger more coordinated splash here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Godfall has been kinda meh since day 1, out of all the new games why are they showcasing the console with this?? Makes the generational leap seem smaller than it is.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I find that PS5 gameplay from today very suspicious. Anyone can think what they want, I will just leave this here:

Look at right side of screen, there's a mouse.

It's a vtuber. They probably are replaying their captured video while layering their avatar. since you are a super sleauth go find that in every godfall video To prove it.