• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Caught up on this stuff after getting up today...wow...

- Showed the system in person, live: Got to get a true feel on the size of the system and the controller overall
- Showed a lot of the controller: Got to see some of the feedback, LED lighting, control options
- Showed gameplay from a few games: Saw some great loading examples, nothing to "blow me away" but good stuff
- Post video comments about system sound and heat are very positive
- Post video comments about game responsiveness, loading, feel of the controller, all positive

- Did not show the UI
- Did not show load times for system boot up
- Did not show boot up for games

For me at least, the positives far out way the lack of UI stuff. It's hilarious to me that so many are seemingly offended by shiny console plastic, people not being able to pick it up, and not seeing the UI. Like there is some huge conspiracy happening and some horribly bad thing is waiting in the wings.

Overall, was great to see more... Sony continues the slow tease and it is obviously driving people insane lol.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Caught up on this stuff after getting up today...wow...

- Showed the system in person, live: Got to get a true feel on the size of the system and the controller overall
- Showed a lot of the controller: Got to see some of the feedback, LED lighting, control options
- Showed gameplay from a few games: Saw some great loading examples, nothing to "blow me away" but good stuff
- Post video comments about system sound and heat are very positive
- Post video comments about game responsiveness, loading, feel of the controller, all positive

- Did not show the UI
- Did not show load times for system boot up
- Did not show boot up for games

For me at least, the positives far out way the lack of UI stuff. It's hilarious to me that so many are seemingly offended by shiny console plastic, people not being able to pick it up, and not seeing the UI. Like there is some huge conspiracy happening and some horribly bad thing is waiting in the wings.

Overall, was great to see more... Sony continues the slow tease and it is obviously driving people insane lol.

Agreed.

As nice as it would have been to see the UI, to get some real hands on impressions and finding out how quiet it is, is great news. This was something I was most looking forward to finding out after living with my jet engine Pro for the past few years.

Hopefully we get UI reveal very soony.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

rh8xl7E.jpg

I have to admit, I'm more looking forward to getting more about the actual system too. Gameplay of games I'm more interested in would've been great too (stuff like more Demon's Souls and more of Mile Morales).
Astrobot's Playroom reminds me more of something like Welcome Park for the Vita. Where it's more just showing you stuff about your new system than it is an actual game.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
The question is: we know something that we didn't know yesterday? For me, not at all. So it's a bad showcase in timing, form and content (Godfall and Astro's instead of Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, Sackboy or Destruction All-Stars... really?). We're less than a month and a half from launch and we have close to zero info about bc compatibility, improvements on PS4 games, the user interface, any kind of new options like Quick Resume and many more.

I'm reading a lot of takes that for me makes no sense. For example, that Sony is dripping info to win the next-gen (just a few messages above); taking into account that they clearly won this gen and their communications plan with PS4 were all different... kinda weird.

For me, one thing is clear: if you're selling your console (all in all, we're paying in many sites for the pre-orders), the potential user should have all the possible info about the system. And, today, I don't know what will happen when I put my TLOU2 or GoT disc into my PS5, for example. Justifying this kind of communications it's dumb for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel slightly bad for the people who waited to play TLOU2 and GoT until the PS5 seeing as all signs point to them playing exactly as they did on the Pro. I was one of the many who held the commonsense belief that those games would get free enhancement patches, but here we are. Of all the "silence" on everything, this is the one thing I actually care about. I want to know whether Sony will do right by their first party PS4 games and mildly enhance them through patches.

Maybe because they actually have some next gen software to sell they don't even want to talk about making old games new and exciting again because they'd be competing against themselves. 🤞

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
And, today, I don't know what will happen when I put my TLOU2 or GoT disc into my PS5, for example. Justifying this kind of communications it's dumb for me.
Good news! Back in April of 2019 it was confirmed that PS4 games will work like normal on PS5, and PS4 Pro mode if they support it.

Some might even have boost modes patched in to take full advantage of PS5 games, as per The Road to PS5 from March of this year.

Now you know.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I do feel slightly bad for the people who waited to play TLOU2 and GoT until the PS5 seeing as all signs point to them playing exactly as they did on the Pro. I was one of the many who held the commonsense belief that those games would get free enhancement patches, but here we are. Of all the "silence" on everything, this is the one thing I actually care about. I want to know whether Sony will do right by their first party PS4 games and mildly enhance them through patches.

I don't mind waiting, I don't ever double dip on games unless there's a huuuuge discount involved. I'm less concerned about Sony's first party games and more concerned about FFVII lol. Am I gonna have to wait for the exclusivity period to run out to play a new PS5 version that comes out alongside Xbox and PC versions? Probably -_-

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
rh8xl7E.jpg

I have to admit, I'm more looking forward to getting more about the actual system too. Gameplay of games I'm more interested in would've been great too (stuff like more Demon's Souls and more of Mile Morales).
Astrobot's Playroom reminds me more of something like Welcome Park for the Vita. Where it's more just showing you stuff about your new system than it is an actual game.

Total opposite for me... slow play is getting old and this first look was tame.

time to match your competition's transparency Sony

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The question is: we know something that we didn't know yesterday? For me, not at all. So it's a bad showcase in timing, form and content (Godfall and Astro's instead of Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, Sackboy or Destruction All-Stars... really?). We're less than a month and a half from launch and we have close to zero info about bc compatibility, improvements on PS4 games, the user interface, any kind of new options like Quick Resume and many more.

I'm reading a lot of takes that for me makes no sense. For example, that Sony is dripping info to win the next-gen (just a few messages above); taking into account that they clearly won this gen and their communications plan with PS4 were all different... kinda weird.

For me, one thing is clear: if you're selling your console (all in all, we're paying in many sites for the pre-orders), the potential user should have all the possible info about the system. And, today, I don't know what will happen when I put my TLOU2 or GoT disc into my PS5, for example. Justifying this kind of communications it's dumb for me.
Pre-orders sold out and people are going to buy regardless and we did get all that info in written already. Not to mention those who are in doubt don't need to buy at launch (well either way with pre-orders already being sold out chances are getting one during the holidays will be hard enough as is). Sony seems to be living for this silent approach and it seems to work fine for them. Is it the most customer friendly thing in the world, no. But again, folks will have all their questions answered if they wait and let others who already pre-ordered give their feedback on the system.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
You know the launch line up, the hardware specs, the price and the launch date. You also have been informed of the BC support in the prior year.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

We know the basics minus the UI ( you can expect at least the same functionality as ps4), you know you'll have BC, with some upgrades in some games (we still don't know to what extent, but same can be said about xb, we know a few titles that will be enhanced, but not a definitive list or anything yet), they have shown the dualsense, you know the ssd will be fast, you know the price. We learned that is apparently silent too.
We are also in a pandemic, so some things may be a little behind schedule so better show them when ready (ps4 sleep mode was announced bit not at launch for example).
You have seen next gen games running on it, unlike XSX.
There's nothing big missing really, the UI being the only one, and i doubt anyone would decide to buy, or not, a console because of the UI.

Total opposite for me... slow play is getting old and this first look was tame.

time to match your competition's transparency Sony
Their next gen games shown are so transparent you cannot even see them.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
Good news! Back in April of 2019 it was confirmed that PS4 games will work like normal on PS5, and PS4 Pro mode if they support it.

Some might even have boost modes patched in to take full advantage of PS5 games, as per The Road to PS5 from March of this year.

Now you know.

not even necessarily a patch, if the sudden jump in power and speed that the transition is bringing doesn't cause the game itself to crash (an entirely possible thing) or glitch out, the "boost mode", or as Cerny and co. are referring to it, "native mode", will operate like the boost mode on PS4 - meaning anything that runs at an unlocked framerate or dynamic resolution will go to the upper bounds of either/both that this jump in power will bring. This is what the testing Cerny referred to but got jumbled into "THE PS5 WILL ONLY SUPPORT LIKE A HUNDRED PS4 GAMES AAAAAAA" freak out was actually about - testing the games, figuring out if they'll need to be sorted into the compatibility modes for the base or Pro PS4 (depending on whether or not they had a mode in the original release) or run in native mode, or in the very rare case, if they need to say "hey this game simply can't boot at all", which is most likely going to be wildly fringe cases from a studio that got obliterated by the market years ago and can't be approached with a request to fix their code.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017

Now you know.

No, I don't know. Will TLOU2 or GoT look and run the same way or they'll have these kind of improvements? No clue. And they're the two biggest Sony published games of 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
... or in the very rare case, if they need to say "hey this game simply can't boot at all", which is most likely going to be wildly fringe cases from a studio that got obliterated by the market years ago and can't be approached with a request to fix their code.
There are likely several cases that are just related to legal blocks. Stuff like games no longer sold and never cleared for future platforms. Or even just games that use peripherals that won't work with it due to licensing.

No, I don't know. Will TLOU2 or GoT look and run the same way or they'll have these kind of improvements? No clue. And they're the two biggest Sony published games of 2020.
What if even Naughty Dog and Insomniac games haven't decided yet, meaning at the minimum it will run as well or better as the PS4 Pro versions. Maybe they don't plan to do anything except a small patch, or maybe they have moved on to other things. Why is it such a big deal to know now, immediately, everything! heh

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver

Now you know.
I think the concern is that nothing has been confirmed since - and we are starting to get examples of PS4 games that don't work on PS5 like black desert online
www.resetera.com

Black Desert Online (Backwards Compat version) available day 1 on Xbox Series X|S; Sony still working on PS5 compatibility

Link People have been making a pretty big deal about this in world chat (in game) throughout the day, and also on Discord. I hope Sony pulls through for day one play because PS4 players have issues running the game without an SSD especially in Siege and Node Wars and the thought of many...

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Its crazy just how nitpicky some people are being about the console. Like does the UI really determine whether you buy the console or not?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think the concern is that nothing has been confirmed since - and we are starting to get examples of PS4 games that don't work on PS5 like black desert online
www.resetera.com

Black Desert Online (Backwards Compat version) available day 1 on Xbox Series X|S; Sony still working on PS5 compatibility

Link People have been making a pretty big deal about this in world chat (in game) throughout the day, and also on Discord. I hope Sony pulls through for day one play because PS4 players have issues running the game without an SSD especially in Siege and Node Wars and the thought of many...
nothing has been confirmed since? that is just wrong. Jim Ryan said 99% of PS4 games will be playable. but yeah. "concern"

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
nah it's fine to be eager to see it lol I know I am

it's the "fuck sony!" and "Sony is doomed/stupid/scared/it must be broken cuz they haven't shown it yet" takes that are incessantly derailing threads

Yea. Nothing wrong with wanting to see it. Its the people taking that and acting like the entire company is self destructing lol

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
If they showed the UI today we'd all be super happy for the next 24 hours and then by Monday people would again be "jfc sony being so quiet they must be afraid' 😭
"Why haven't they shown the Dualsense connected to a charger? Will I have to buy a new Dualsense whenever the battery dies?"
"Does it have an external power brick? Does it run on a tiny nuclear reactor? What are you hiding sony????"
XhuMtbu.gif

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
What?
236e17a73d0ae54a7fa423ee156c3dd5.png

Why, it was a fully functional UI, is a fancy UI more important than good games?
Did you skip the ps4 too? Because the UI is functionally very similar.
Will you skip the ps5 too?
Do you even play games?
I am so confused.
UI was so slow and laggy to me in-comparison to the 360. Hated it.

Nah PS4 UI wasnt slow and laggy.
Will skip the Ps5 if Demon Souls actually comes to PC. UI isn't a factor this time, it'll be fine no matter what.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 has both PS4 and PS4 Pro modes for BC. They'll run in PS4 Pro mode.

Edit: Whether or not they'll have enhancements is up in the air, but it's disingenuous to say no one has a clue how they'll run. That information's been known for months.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but this is such a stupid take lol.

UI is extremely important.
The range of possible outcomes for the quality of the user experience makes it not worth pouring so much energy. It's going to be fine at a minimum. The idea that this needs to be some great concern is predicated on the ridiculous notion that it will or could reasonably be a disaster.

Its actually kind of disingenuous to the level of concern trolling to put so much importance on the ui.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
Edit: Whether or not they'll have enhancements is up in the air, but it's disingenuous to say no one has a clue how they'll run. That information's been known for months.

it's not disingenuous. Will they run with any kind of aid from the hardware? Loading time improvements? Frame rate? Resolution? Can developers provide PS5 updates to PS4 games? Is that possible? Which PS4 3rd party peripherals work? Which definitely don't? What games are in the 1% that aren't back compat? Can we expect that to get better or is that not going to be worked on? These are just the questions off the top of my head.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
it's not disingenuous. Will they run with any kind of aid from the hardware? Loading time improvements? Frame rate? Resolution? Can developers provide PS5 updates to PS4 games? Is that possible? Which PS4 3rd party peripherals work? Which definitely don't? What games are in the 1% that aren't back compat? Can we expect that to get better or is that not going to be worked on? These are just the questions off the top of my head.
1. BC titles will play as they did on PS4 or PS4 Pro
2. BC titles may play at higher frame rates and resolutions of those are unlocked and you are using boost mode on PS5.
3. Titles should load quicker across the board due to the sheer speed of the SSD, even without patches.
4. Do not expect enhancements without the developer's announcing them and without a patch.