• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
So what do you want us to do? Look at OP's obvious wrong complaints about a game literal children can beat with a little bit of thought and just say... what? They're right? They are clearly not right.

You're the one who acted like somehow us pointing out the flaws in their criticism is... somehow bullying them? The only person throwing out insults is you.

It's an opinion about a video game that OP isn't alone in sharing. No one's wrong or right. Get over yourself.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
They arent wrong though, the superiority complex on display is weird
But they are wrong?

The "bush" they're complaining about is extremely telegraphed, not to mention that the game rewards you cutting down bushes with money and health so it's a reasonable assumption for the player to do it.

The trading quest is literally "talk to NPCs, have a functioning memory."

You're right if someone struggles with a video game then clearly they deserve to be treated like a pariah.

Nobody is treating anybody like a pariah except for you calling people manchildren for daring to disagree with the OP's bad takes.
It's an opinion about a video game that OP isn't alone in sharing. No one's wrong or right. Get over yourself.
Nah OP is wrong and if you agree with their criticism you are also wrong.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a ridiculously easy game and the phone house makes it even easier.

That said, the puzzle with throwing the chess piece is bullshit, especially in the original game.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda needs more obtuse
This. LA has already received 2 handholding coats of paint, each with extra hints and/or visual cues first the GBC version now the Switch, it definitely doesn't need a third one. yeah no shit ALBTW's puzzles are easier, this is from the time when Nintendo still believed players were intelligent/motivated enough to solve actual puzzles on their own and the best Zeldas were made (this, ALTTP and Majora's).

Though I agree the bush thing is slightly bullshit, seriously, there's a river and you need to cross to the other side, is it really that outrageous to have to search for an underground pass everywhere along the side of the river you're on?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
But they are wrong?

The "bush" they're complaining about is extremely telegraphed, not to mention that the game rewards you cutting down bushes with money and health so it's a reasonable assumption for the player to do it.

Nobody is treating anybody like a pariah except for you calling people manchildren for daring to disagree with the OP's bad takes.

It's not "bad takes" they just don't like the fucking game but the manchild brigade has to come in and self satisfyingly jerk themselves for being able to beat Zelda before they stopped shitting their pants.

It's a goddamn video game but the moment you people have an in you pull this weird ass nerd superiority complex, and it is fucking ridiculous.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have much trouble, but I do have 19/6 year old memories of playing the original to help a bit.

The only thing I really had trouble with was finding that one bush to reveal stairs, yes... but that bush was standing alone, on the same screen as the exit stairs directly on the other side of a gap. So I felt like that one was on me for looking around the entire area so much and not noticing that, hah. And I found a lot of stuff elsewhere in the process of aimlessly wandering around due to missing that, so it wasn't that frustrating.

Similarly it took me a little to realize how to open certain doors in one dungeon, but I also kept playing it incredibly late at night, so... Otherwise, the hint systems (the phone and owl statues) are pretty direct most of the time. And anything you need to cut or dig is often are made to suspiciously stand out from other bushes/spots, with markings on the ground or a weird arrangement of things around them.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they are wrong?

No? The bush is very much not telegraphed and being expected to slash every bush in the game to progress is some ridiculous expectation you have there

The NPC quest isnt "difficult", but it is ridiculously long winded and takes a lot of effort that not everyone has the patience to engage with when there is little direction other than talking to every npc you see (especially when they move). As well as not having any discernment for what the questline is supposed to accomplish.

They are not wrong.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I was so annoyed that nintendo did not release an official strategy guide. It would have realy helped me.
I have great news for you
A10bqN%2BNtjL.jpg

and it's only $300 on Amazon!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Did we even play the same game? I guess modern games really have been dumbed down to a large degree if this is what people feel.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
No, I'm calling out the manchildren here for acting like gigantic fucking tools over a video game. It's not "bad takes" they just don't like the fucking game but the manchild brigade has to come in and self satisfyingly jerk themselves for being able to beat Zelda before they stopped shitting their pants.

It's a goddamn video game but the moment you people have an in you pull this weird ass nerd superiority complex, and it is fucking ridiculous.
Nobody was "acting like gigantic fucking tools" until you came in here and called everybody who dared call the OP wrong "disappointments to their parents."

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I think that is my problem actually. My patience is much shorter now a days because I have such a limited amount of time to play. So when something like that bush thing comes up, it's very frustrating to me because it feels like the game is not respecting my time.
I think that's the key to it. The game feels like it's built around curious exploration, to where you're already going around cutting the bushes you can find, talking to people to find out what they might need, going into caves to see if there's treasure. I can't really say if it's fine or not, since I've been familiar with the game since I was a kid, practically before I could remember. I'm sure I got frustrated back then, but those feelings are long gone. No doubt an entirely different experience from playing it fresh as an adult.

Back then, it wasn't like I was playing the game just to finish it and go to the next game. Everything was intrinsically rewarding, because I hadn't already seen the same patterns and idea in video games and the world thousands of times. That's the difference maybe, and it think it relates back to your point. With limited time, there's more focus on progress. As an experienced player, you recognize quickly when things aren't really worthwhile or rewarding. When the focus is on progress, exploration becomes a frustration instead of a joy maybe? Not to defend obscure solutions too much - I know if I played Zelda 1 without a guide for the first time today, I'd be so mad trying to find level 8 - but I think it does work out well for some.

It doesn't bother me with Zelda, but I feel like plenty of games get to me like that. My issue isn't as much time, but more like 'why do I care?'. If I'm not super invested in a particular game, I'll definitely just want it to tell me where to go.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah man this thread has been a good laugh.

Apparently my intelligence isn't high enough to play Zelda. Also my opinion that puzzles are obtuse has been imperically proven by science that I am factually incorrect.

The superiority complex of basement dwellers in this thread is hilarious. Congratulations you beat a video game, you should be proud of your accomplishment.

Really? Enjoy your game, I'm not stopping you from doing so.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i found myself looking up guides for some particularly obtuse puzzles. i got stuck trying to find that bush that opens up the route to the animal village.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure what OP is referring to is the lack of time to just try and figure stuff out.

Beat this game as a 10 year old without a guide in a matter of days during Summer break and never thought anything was obtuse or frustrating.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
No? The bush is very much not telegraphed and being expected to slash every bush in the game to progress is some ridiculous expectation you have there

The NPC quest isnt "difficult", but it is ridiculously long winded and takes a lot of effort that not everyone has the patience to engage with when there is little direction other than talking to every npc you see (especially when they move). As well as not having any discernment for what the questline is supposed to accomplish.

They are not wrong.

If we're all talking about the same bush, I wouldn't say it's necessarily "clearly telegraphed". As I said in my previous post, I missed it at first too!

But it is the only bush on the screen (I'm pretty sure?), placed weirdly, with the exit stairs it leads to visible. It's not exactly obvious, but it's not like you're slicing down an entire field of grass and one random spot has stairs either.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Both things can be true, videogames these days do a lot of handholding so there is going to be a group of players who will struggle when they play a game that is more hands off

Thats not a bad thing

A game with a more old school approach that isn't panicked with the prospect of a new player getting lost and instead gives them other non-obvious clues in order to progress isnt bad game design necessarily but its NOT the OP's fault for
  • not liking it
  • voicing his opinion in the way you want him/her to
Games are for everyone, whats easy for you its not always going to be easy for other players, especially now than more people are playing games than ever before. The way this thread has gotten contentious is a bit childish, to be honest (saying "hey, maybe youre approaching the game wrong" doesnt equal "lol fuk u noob get gud") if you want to be part of making this forum a better place for discussion then do it without calling people names just because they disagree about a very trifling aspect in a videogame

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I had a similar opinion about the game, mainly because of stuff like this:
giphy.webp

In the original these were just totally arbitrary horse heads that had to be thrown until they landed upright. It was a pretty bad puzzle. The remake cleverly makes them chess pieces that always move the same way, but the problem is that you barely have room to even see how they're moving in most cases. They're much more likely to ricochet off a wall than the floor, so it looks like random bouncing.

Maybe the Mensa members here got it right away, but my first thought wasn't "oh, they're chess pieces and not random horse statues anymore" and even if I had thought that I wouldn't have necessarily assumed "they''ll fly through the air like knights when I throw them." If you had more room to observe how they were landing and if they maybe had other pieces, like a bishop, it would have made things clearer without giving it away too much.

Different people approach problems differently and try different things first, it's not just a matter of being smart or not. The kind of puzzles in the game just didn't click with me and apparently a few other posters (not saying they're bad).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody was "acting like gigantic fucking tools" until you came in here and called everybody who dared call the OP wrong "disappointments to their parents."

These are definitely posts by people who aren't being totally fucking bonkers about a game.

Without sounding too harsh it just sounds like you don't have the intelligence to be able to solve them. Like many others I found the puzzles to be mostly straight forward.
Oh come the fuck on with this. It was a game for primarily kids originally.

Just take the L in your own thread man.
This is what happens when you play too many hand holdy games where you don't have to think.
People are dumbfounded by the concept of getting lost or being confused as being a good thing. The Zelda franchise (before baby hand holding Fi and even Twilight Princes to an extent) is built on this idea as part of the adventure. If 6 year olds can figure this out without a guide, you can too. You just don't want to invest the time and focus to do so

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't blame you, OP. Heck, I've played the original Link's Awakening multiple times and still needed a guide or some direction at times because of not knowing where to go or what to do at a particular spot. The trading sequence in particular was a bit of a challenge for my poor memory.

Even still, there's a fine balance to making a game not too obtuse while also not being too hand-hold-ish and while Nintendo didn't perfectly nail it with every Zelda game, this is one that's rather close along with A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, among several others.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018

ieawlKA.png

I beleive this is the bush the OP is talking about. It's the only bush in the area and it leads to a passage that lets you cross the river.

This is a very telegraphed secret.

Taking to NPC's is part of the game. It's a mechanic that exists for a reason. A series which lists "exploration" as a fundamental element should have some elements that encourage exploration. Talking to characters to progress is legitimate. If you don't have the patience to engage with this then maybe Link's Awakening isn't for you.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure what OP is referring to is the lack of time to just try and figure stuff out.

Beat this game as a 10 year old without a guide in a matter of days during Summer break and never thought anything was obtuse or frustrating.
That's the issue, yes. Most adult players have large backlogs, so if a game isn't easily completed in a weekend, it isn't respecting your time.
LA absolutely respects your time, but it also expects you to spend some time in its world.

Also, claiming I finished the game as a child doesn't mean I'm better than you, it simply means I disagree with the thread's premise. There are plenty of older games I would agree have tons of obtuse puzzles, but not LA.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think I solved them all pretty easily and the remake was my first play through of the game. However to get the Seashell where that walrus was by playing Marins song I had no clue about.
You get an item that the controller vibrates once you are near a seashell, also you get a hint about it if you talk to someone in the animal village.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're all talking about the same bush, I wouldn't say it's necessarily "clearly telegraphed". As I said in my previous post, I missed it at first too!

But it is the only bush on the screen (I'm pretty sure?), placed weirdly, with the exit stairs it leads to visible. It's not exactly obvious, but it's not like you're slicing down an entire field of grass and one random spot has stairs either.
It is the only bush in that part (but its near a bunch of trees as well), but
  1. I dont believe the stairs are visible until its cut
  2. I dont believer there is an indication that you need to be in that general area to move to the other side
  3. That spot has a place for a hookshot to get across, so its not unreasonable to think you might need to get the hookshot to progress

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, thinking about it, the real problem with that section may be how weirdly big the gap in the phone hints is. It just jumps to telling you about going to the desert when you not only have to get past that gap, but also deal with stuff at Animal Village first. Probably shoulda added something about finding your way across, at the very least.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, been a while since I've seen this much whining about a game. I beat this game 100% with no guides when I was 8 when it first came out. I'm sorry some of you had touble with it, but... wow. You would think playing Breath of the Wild (or even an RPG) would teach you to explore everything and talk to everyone.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
These are definitely posts by people who aren't being totally fucking bonkers about a game.
That's right, they're not.

Except for maybe that one guy saying the OP doesn't have intelligence. But they made that post after you began your rants

Meanwhile:

"lmao I can't believe OP isn't as good at this game from 1998 as I am" - a whole bunch of people who definitely aren't disappointments to their parents.

Hmmm this sure does look like somebody being a giant prick for no good reason.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ieawlKA.png

I beleive this is the bush the OP is talking about. It's the only bush in the area and it leads to a passage that lets you cross the river.

This is a very telegraphed secret.

Taking to NPC's is part of the game. It's a mechanic that exists for a reason. A series which lists "exploration" as a fundamental element should have some elements that encourage exploration. Talking to characters to progress is legitimate. If you don't have the patience to engage with this then maybe Link's Awakening isn't for you.
It is the bush, I dont think it is heavily telegraphed that "cut this bush to progress through the game". Ridiculous expectation.

The NPCs dont encourage exploration, they basically say nothing of interest in this game unless they are part of the main quest. Heart containers and other things like that are reasons to explore. This was just busy work.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The superiority complex of basement dwellers in this thread is hilarious. Congratulations you beat a video game, you should be proud of your accomplishment.
What did you think the general reaction was gonna be? Also, superiority complex? You're the one making a whole new thread which is nothing more than shining a big giant light on your opinion specifically. I'm not saying you can't have that opinion, but you could have just voiced it in the OT.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah man this thread has been a good laugh.

Apparently my intelligence isn't high enough to play Zelda. Also my opinion that puzzles are obtuse has been imperically proven by science that I am factually incorrect.

Really? Enjoy your game, I'm not stopping you from doing so.
basement dweellers?!

REALLY?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I beat this game as a small child.

I don't have much else to add to it, it took me like 10 hours or less to beat the remake as an adult, and none of the examples you posted were things I remembered from childhood.

We can't. We could if the price is also lower... now it's the same fullprice and should be judged as..
And it remains the best zelda game of all time, so shrug emoji?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
The eagle tower was some bullshit, completely breaks the rules and conventions of the game allowing one particular item to traverse and persist across rooms in a dungeon.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
It is the bush, I dont think it is heavily telegraphed that "cut this bush to progress through the game". Ridiculous expectation.

The NPCs dont encourage exploration, they basically say nothing of interest in this game unless they are part of the main quest. Heart containers and other things like that are reasons to explore. This was just busy work.

The game has long shown you that:

1) Cutting bushes will give you rewards

2) There are hidden passages

That these two elements come together later in the game is not a surprise.

Also, the game introduces the trading sequence very early on. There's a Yoshi doll in the Crane Game, and one NPC talks about wanting a Yoshi doll for her child. The only way to miss it is if you refuse to talk to NPCs ever. Which, again, is maybe a sign this game isn't for you if talking to people in a game focused on exploration is something you don't have patience for.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It is the only bush in that part (but its near a bunch of trees as well), but
  1. I dont believe the stairs are visible until its cut
  2. I dont believer there is an indication that you need to be in that general area to move to the other side
  3. That spot has a place for a hookshot to get across, so its not unreasonable to think you might need to get the hookshot to progress

1. I meant on the other side- at least in the Switch version, I'm pretty sure you can see the exit from there. Judging by that original screen above, you might be able to see the same by jumping into the water?

2. Fair enough, hmm. It's definitely true that you could end up looking elsewhere first (as I did), though I do think it ends up being the closest point you can get to the other side without swimming?

3. This is true! Though seeing that original screen also makes me think this may be something the Switch version accidentally introduced, if there was a screen transition and it'd be less obvious compared to the stairs? Which is the game's fault, obviously, just interesting to see that the remake may have introduced confusion as a result of not breaking up screens. Heck, even the bush looks much more obvious when you're presented with that screen in isolation.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
If you're trying to say a game is impossible to beat without a guide because the puzzles are unintuitive, then yeah people bringing up their experiences solving the game perfectly fine in a age before internet wikis and youtube walkthroughs is a perfectly rational counterpoint.

That you expect everyone to just agree that pushing an out-of-place block to match a visual pattern is too complicated a puzzle is ridiculous.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017

The superiority complex of basement dwellers in this thread is hilarious.
It's certainly not high enough to realize it's not cool calling anyone 'basement dweller' over disagreements on a videogame forum.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think this is an easy game in that regard. Between phone booths, visual cues, and NPC comments, it's really hard to get stuck. Even the Eagle Tower pillar stuff, which I always forget how to do, gives you everything you need and primes you for completing it by presenting some of the pieces to it earlier in the game.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I beat this game when I was 6 years old, without a guide. And it didn't take me months or years to do it. No I wasn't a MENSA genius, I just had enough patience to not immediately go looking for an online walkthrough or a Youtube video and instead... gasp! Try to figure stuff out by myself!

You are just used to playing braindead games that treat you like an idiot and spoonfeed you the answers to everything. Modern games don't require you to think, and they dull your brain. How fucking dare a modern game even have the audacity to ask you to think for yourself and explore on your own to figure things out for yourself!

Link's Awakening just comes from a time where games respected the intelligence of their players. It's not even particularily hard! It's one of the easiest games in the entire series! You have just been that sensitised by braindead modern games.

This!

I beat the original as a seven year old. I'm currently playing through the remake and although I remember certain things I'm figuring out some dungeon puzzles all over again. I just don't understand this modern mentality of having everything so obvious it's brightly flashing and with waypoints everywhere. If you get stuck for 20min trying to figure out a solution that's ok, you don't need a guide every time a puzzle isn't immediately obvious, use some of that brain power.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Was the first Zelda game I completed. I did have to look a few things up, but it didn't bother me. I'm impatient these days. Its my GOTY. Even had me go back to play older titles.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I enjoyed it more than BOTW.