• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Facebook being a trash company is why I haven't converted my account and will wait until the absolute last minute to convert it (if I even do). I'd almost be willing to lose the 10 or so games I have on my Oculus account just to stay away from FB.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Nah this falls squarely in "Play stupid games win stupid prizes." people need to take their Digital footprint significantly more seriously than they are now and unfortunately some people are learning the hard way as we type.

Love to know who's idea it was to force their ecosystem to make tones of new Facebook accounts near the tail end of the US election.

Real galaxy brain move!

I have no facebook footprint, though. Other than Oculus. I never had a Facebook account (prior to trying to create one for Quest 2). And I script block anything that's related to Facebook. I guarantee you, I'm in the 1% at Reset. Facebook has less info on me than almost anyone here.

Nobody could have predicted that people would be locked out from creating an account. They already had my worthless data from Oculus. Facebook would have yielded them little more (since I never would have used it) and the rest is all blocked on my end. It's the insanity of preventing people from creating accounts that's the issue here. And nobody predicted that.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, when your account gets banned, you'll never hear back. I have a FB account for work purposes, and that got banned and I went through security but saw a message on screen saying I may never hear back. I only got it reinstated after speaking to my company's rep at Facebook, and even that took a while.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
I have no facebook footprint, though. Other than Oculus. I never had a Facebook account (prior to trying to create one for Quest 2). And I script block anything that's related to Facebook. I guarantee you, I'm in the 1% at Reset. Facebook has less info on me than almost anyone here.

Nobody could have predicted that people would be locked out from creating an account. They already had my worthless data from Oculus. Facebook would have yielded them little more (since I never would have used it) and the rest is all blocked on my end. It's the insanity of preventing people from creating accounts that's the issue here. And nobody predicted that.

Okay, nobody predicted that, sure. You can have that one. I admit I didn't think it was going to be this much of a shitshow. And I was already put off without this happening.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I actually cancelled my pre-order specifically because of the required Facebook integration. Seriously, isn't Facebook rich enough? Just let people use your god damn headset without jumping through more hoops.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
From what I understand, when your account gets banned, you'll never hear back. I have a FB account for work purposes, and that got banned and I went through security but saw a message on screen saying I may never hear back. I only got it reinstated after speaking to my company's rep at Facebook, and even that took a while.
This is the main problem for me to be honest like damn you would think they would actually have some sort of customer support lol

----

Anyways as a side note I tried all the different ways to sign in that seemed to have gotten some people banned and even set up my account ready for Sidequest and still nothing so I guess im in the clear. At this point I dont think anything will happen unless I outright actually do some shit that is ban worthy.
I wonder for those on fake accounts if its because your oculus email matched a currently still active FB account and now you are merging it with a fake one, currently using an email that belonged to a now deleted FB account and the new fake one I have is using a never before FB used email.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Sucks for people being hit by this but I hope it shows them what the are potentially losing. Facebook ban == lose your games too.

Wait, you need a Facebook account to use the Quest 2? That's horrible.
Yup, I was shocked when I heard this too and it ensures I will never buy one.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What a shame that what seems to be a great product in the VR department has to be dragged down by Facebook BS.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you need a Facebook account to use the Quest 2? That's horrible.

Yeah, Facebook decided that for any new accounts at this point you need a facebook account to log in. If you had made an Oculus account prior to when they implemented the change then you didn't need to have a facebook account and don't have to merge the oculus account until 2023 or something.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so their anti bot tech likely went into overdrive over the huge influx of new signups right?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
PlayStation VR 2 can't come soon enough. I was always interested in PC VR primarily via the Rift S, and the Oculus Quest 2 (and Oculus continuing to integrate further with Facebook and everything horrible about it, as well as discontinuing PC-only headsets) put me off the whole damn thing entirely.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
VR tech as a whole is moving forward in a very similar direction. Facebook wisely figured out that needing a PC would be an impediment to mainstream adoption and went all in with mobile. Others will follow suit, the tech will continue to improve, and pricing will be more competitive (it has to be with FB offering a full set for $300). There's no need to jump on a Quest 2 if you find Facebook distasteful. I'm not. PSVR 2 is coming, and PC headsets will continue to evolve.

With how quickly new headsets are coming out these days, I'm giving it at least another cycle or two before I consider jumping in. And as much as I dislike FB and refuse to support them, I am at least somewhat grateful for the forward momentum they're creating. Props if you get one and enjoy it without any problems. I'm looking forward to the future.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Glad I sold my Oculus right after it's first launch because them being under Facebook made me sure there would be more fuckery going on in the future. Did not want to invest in their ecosystem at all because of not trusting them at all.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
"it's just an account, what's the big deal"

what a shame. the quest and oculus tech in general is so damn good, but they had to get bought by such a trash company....

Dec 13, 2017
Sounds about right
I consider it foolish to buy in to the Oculus ecosystem, and the proof is right here.
Imagine if your FB account gets compromised and then banned for spreading propaganda (for example) then losing $1K worth of HW and SW licenses.
The future is now!

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
PlayStation VR 2 can't come soon enough. I was always interested in PC VR primarily via the Rift S, and the Oculus Quest 2 (and Oculus continuing to integrate further with Facebook and everything horrible about it, as well as discontinuing PC-only headsets) put me off the whole damn thing entirely.
If you have the money from the little knowledge i have the other headsets are suposedely better. I can only afford oculus so fingers crossed some other company creates a cheap PCVR headset!

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I said digital footprint not just Facebook. I'm talking about your presence online in general.

Think of this whole nightmare as a mass data migration from The oculus system to Facebook's system for people who haven't linked or made a Facebook account.

There is definitely precedent for huge migration efforts to fail in someway shape or form and for data to be lost. (MySpace for example) This is the kinda thing you'd better frigging well wait for people to test out first and see what happens. Kinda like but not exactly like major major windows updates.

There should have been a level of wariness to attempting something like this especially if transferring involves creating a new account in your system that is going to get inundated with requests at the same time due to an certain major event in your home country.

While its good that you think your data is worthless there are still people who spent actual money who is actually SOL until Facebook wakes the hell up.

Facebook being a trash company is why I haven't converted my account and will wait until the absolute last minute to convert it (if I even do). I'd almost be willing to lose the 10 or so games I have on my Oculus account just to stay away from FB.

This kinda suspicion would be laughed at as being paranoid but at the end of the day they are ok and didn't lose shit!

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
mjlol.png

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Can confirm. My account of almost 10 years got the boot out of nowhere. I submitted info i needed for repeal as they said but never heard back from them. It was out of complete nowhere which hurt more and I had a lot of friends I talked to there

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The scale of their fuckup here is unbelievable. Requiring their users jump through hoops many don't want to, only to be met with total loss of the headset and purchases is just unbelievable

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Fucking insane. It's too bad that such great tech is married to such a shitty company.

Why not have Oculus accounts be separate and let users connect them to their Facebook accounts if they want to?

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, legit IDs getting banned too? I mean, I was never going to make an actual FB account ever, so I guess I might as well stay as far away from an Oculus device as possible too.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I was told that my dislike of Facebook was irrational and arbitrary and that I should have been hyped for the Oculus Quest 2. I see now the error of my ways.
something something make a fake account
something it's just facebook, they're not evil
you wouldn't lose access to your games, something something
era has a hate boner for facebook blah blah

lol.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hi, I'm looking into this.

If you've been genuinely affected by this, please send identifying details to my email address, which is my first name at arstechnica d*t com, including FB account name, real name, account URL, and oculus username. That's a lot of info, but I can't just go off potentially anonymous reports--and I pledge to not use that information for anything other than story-verification purposes.. If it turns out this is all overblown, and that FB is handling stuff better than these stories sound, that's worth reporting, just as much as if account woes are leaving people with bricked headsets. To confirm that this is legit contact info, http://arstechnica.com/author/samred has the same info. Since our email system is a more known entity than ERA DMs, I strongly suggest you use email.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Requiring a facebook account already keeps me away from this thing, but dang... if I did want it, this surely would be the nail in the coffin.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck to the affected peeps. And the press trying to get to the bottom of this, apparently.

A Facebook account to actually boot the hardware. Hah, what a world we live in. Fuck me sideways, I wanna get off this freaking planet already, for the fifth time this week or so. *Shakes fist at clouds*

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
"it's just an account, what's the big deal"

what a shame. the quest and oculus tech in general is so damn good, but they had to get bought by such a trash company....

I mean the acquisition was done before the og Quest was even a twinkle in Oculus engineers' eyes. FB is a shitshow but let's not dismiss the fact something like the Quest at its price point and ecosystem would not have been possible without the years of money FB has poured into all the various R&D. You could argue around the DK2 launch Oculus was maybe still working from pre-acquisition resources (IIRC a lot of what's in the DK2 came from Valve). Anything post CV1 up to now you can't really separate the two imo.

Hi, I'm looking into this.

If you've been genuinely affected by this, please send identifying details to my email address, which is my first name at arstechnica d*t com, including FB account name, real name, account URL, and oculus username. That's a lot of info, but I can't just go off potentially anonymous reports--and I pledge to not use that information for anything other than story-verification purposes.. If it turns out this is all overblown, and that FB is handling stuff better than these stories sound, that's worth reporting, just as much as if account woes are leaving people with bricked headsets. To confirm that this is legit contact info, http://arstechnica.com/author/samred has the same info. Since our email system is a more known entity than ERA DMs, I strongly suggest you use email.

I'm not affected but just wanted to give props that you're covering this, its been entirely too quiet from other outlets so far. Granted we're one day past launch but I was hoping there'd be more noise on the account lock issue by now. The only thing I've seen so far is an uploadVR article which isn't clear if they got a direct quote from FB or not which they are apparently claiming it isn't a widespread issue and thus are acting like it isn't a problem that needs addressing.

Whatever management figures responsible for this launch fiasco need to be given the boot. Not implementing a workaround to bypass the oversensitive spam filter algorithm for account creation has got to be one of the most incompetent things I've seen for a product launch. Just fucking embarrassing.

So again, thanks for investigating this. Anxious to read the article that comes from it.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Glad I listened to Ars Technica. They said to avoid the headset and basically "fuck you facebook".

And they were right. I am also glad I sold my oculus headset and switched to Valve.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
This thread and other similar stories on reddit are making me legit worried about just randomly losing my facebook account out of nowhere. I don't really use it for much other than keeping up with family and sharing baby photos with them. I'd hate to lose stuff like that though. I'm worried mainly because years ago when I worked for EA I worked on a couple facebook games and had to create dupe accounts. I don't think they were using any of my real info so hopefully they don't get tied to me. Oddly enough I still get emails from those accounts on my burner email addresses so I guess they are still around even though I havent logged in for years and have obviously fake names.

Side note, do they ban people for having joint accounts? Everyone I know over 50 has their accounts set up with names like "Mr and Mrs SoAndSo". I told my dad years ago that they might one day ban him for that.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Does the quest 2 have no competition? Where are the other standalone headsets?

No one could compete with them even if they wanted to. Facebook invests more into VR R&D in a single year than Sony or MS spent on their entire gaming divisions across an entire generation. They have a 1 million square foot dedicated VR campus and a defacto VR research campus (Reality Labs) who monopolize the top VR/AR and computer vision talent in the world. Pre-Oculus acquisition Facebook spent around 2-3 billion/yr on R&D. Last year they spent nearly 14 billion. The entirety of Sony (TV's, cameras, audio, phones, Playstation etc...) spent around 4.5 billion last year.

The only companies who could even begin to challenge them would be the handful of juggernauts (Apple, Google, Amazon, or MS) but even then FB likely holds several critical patents by now and it'd be a talent poaching war more than anything. Those companies are all multiple years and 10's of billions of dollars behind Facebook at this point, even Apple who've allegedly been semi-secretly working on it behind the scenes. MS has already tried and failed, their mixed reality tracking is objectively inferior to Oculus, their eco system is effectively non-existent, and they've barely even got a toe still through the door before they jump ship. Google abandoned VR with the quickness, like all the other projects. Amazon can't even ship derivative ripoff games, nevermind develop a Quest competitor. Valve and HTC (comparatively) couldn't even afford to buy Facebook's office supplies for a year, and they've already poached all of Sony and Valve's VR talent anyways.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This thread and other similar stories on reddit are making me legit worried about just randomly losing my facebook account out of nowhere. I don't really use it for much other than keeping up with family and sharing baby photos with them. I'd hate to lose stuff like that though. I'm worried mainly because years ago when I worked for EA I worked on a couple facebook games and had to create dupe accounts. I don't think they were using any of my real info so hopefully they don't get tied to me. Oddly enough I still get emails from those accounts on my burner email addresses so I guess they are still around even though I havent logged in for years and have obviously fake names.

Side note, do they ban people for having joint accounts? Everyone I know over 50 has their accounts set up with names like "Mr and Mrs SoAndSo". I told my dad years ago that they might one day ban him for that.

Your account situation is similar to mine, I had one I hadn't used in years but still get e-mail notifications for it. This news had me fearful mine would be locked too but I managed to login again without any issues. I think it helps mine is a really old one.

I have seen reports of others logging into dormant accounts and being asked to verify their ID though, and this may trip a lockout. Hopefully that doesn't happen with yours.

Most of these lockouts are for account creation and if you've had access to your account recently with no issues you should probably be fine.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
The one thing people were genuinely concerned about. The one thing that had to work on release. Of course they fuck that up. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on this one. The idea of users having to provide ID to maybe be allowed to use the hardware they just bought is absurd.

Oct 25, 2017
www.reddit.com

r/oculus - I'm Offering a $5000 Bounty for a Quest 2 Jailbreak

2,063 votes and 478 comments so far on Reddit

Honestly, this is the only way you'd get me onboard with a Quest 2. The Oculus, Quest and Virtual Reality subs seem to be on fire right now.

I imagine Facebook will have a (temporary) fix within the next week or two, but if they say fuck it and don't fix this issue by Christmas, this could set VR as whole backwards in public perception.

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
They should change it from virtual reality to bizzarro reality. It took them years to get rid of the facebook nazis, but you get banned in a second for buying their product.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If you have the money from the little knowledge i have the other headsets are suposedely better. I can only afford oculus so fingers crossed some other company creates a cheap PCVR headset!
The problem is compatibility with Oculus exclusives and also the cost. In general it's just a big fucking mess that's honestly not worth the hassle.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You have to assume/hope this is just a temporary fuck up at Facebook. A ton of people suddenly making FB accounts perhaps with limited details (Don't know if there would be a pattern) and around election time - the anti-fraud bots or whatever they have were probably triggered en masse. While their CS are probably shit day to day, they'll be regurgitating the standard support scripts with no response - this will need escalation and attention from higher ups.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Fucking idiot company. I bet their automated banning logic isn't even set up to account for activity on Oculus accounts. Of course it's easy to make your logic trigger happy when you think that you're just banning people from a forum, not taking away purchased items but hey, one size fits all, move fast and break things, etc.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I feel sorry for those affected, it sucks to receive new hardware only for it to end up bricked.

Also man got to love how people in the hype thread went on and on about era's irrational dislike of Facebook