• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You see, the show was ruined after S4. At that point, the trainwreck of an ending was inevitable. It was clear D&D never understood the point of ASOIAF in the first place and cared more about turning the show into a Hollywood spectacle. The odd thing is how they swerved at the very end to go back to acting like the series had any sort of thematic point. They take this character driven and thematic show then take a hard swerve into Hollywood Blockbuster town where themes or even internal logic are completely disregarded, then just before ending in a cliche' Hollywood manner they're like SIKE! Actually, it's about how power corrupts as they stroke their sagely beards and wag their fingers at the casual blockbuster audience they cultivated.

Stay away from Star Wars, please.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
She doesn't bring a lot of new points but this is a fantastic tear down of why those final seasons are so bad. Fantastic work.

And yeah, that Tyrion speech is ridiculous. Killing slavers is not a prelude to anything bad and acting like it's a natural jump is insulting.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You see, the show was ruined after S4. At that point, the trainwreck of an ending was inevitable. It was clear D&D never understood the point of ASOIAF in the first place and cared more about turning the show into a Hollywood spectacle. The odd thing is how they swerved at the very end to go back to acting like the series had any sort of thematic point. They take this character driven and thematic show then take a hard swerve into Hollywood Blockbuster town where themes or even internal logic are completely disregarded, then just before ending in a cliche' Hollywood manner they're like SIKE! Actually, it's about how power corrupts as they stroke their sagely beards and wag their fingers at the casual blockbuster audience they cultivated.

Stay away from Star Wars, please.

Weird that was the message they went with, "Petty Squables when we should be working together to solve the bigger problem" felt like the more logical path to take.

And I keep running in my head how things might have been more interesting if you actually reversed it so King's Landing and Dany's descent is first, then The Long Night takes place after that is resolved.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to her, she basically nailed it in that video. And what she says is sadly true I think ... this is going to become the defacto example of something being ruined by its ending to the point where even rewatching the "good parts" is tainted.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
It seems like characters like Robb, Daenerys and Jon got built up more to make it more surprising when they failed and Bran got downplayed so as to make it more surprising when he won and because Benioff and Weiss weren't sure what to do with him without GRRM's details.

If I remember correctly, this is just an interpretation of George's work by someone and not the man himself. But GRRM likes to build up fan expectations in thinking that certain characters are the main character of the books first Ned then to a much lesser extent Robb (who doesn't have any POVs), Renly etc.

Everyone who you thinks should be the main focus of the story or will be is killed off quite early and the focus of the books are really the characters that a lot of fantasy writers ignore. The mothers, the sisters, a dwarf, a bastard, an orphan princess halfway across the world and a crippled boy. Yet even then, Bran isn't seen as THE main characters, it's Dany or Jon who's secretly a King.

GRRM really played with fan expectations.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is in comparison to Star Wars .... so OK even if you are a person who hated the prequels and TLJ and didn't even care for TFA much ... you don't really need those movies.

The OT and the central story that needed to be told was told a few quibbles with Ewoks and a detour at Jabba's sail barge, more or less told in a very satisfying way and the redemptive ending fit perfectly.

I basically just ignore the prequels outside of about 30 minutes worth of Revenge of the Sith, and I view the Disney trilogy as kind of like "movie DLC content", like an extra story tacked on that you don't need to really have, you can take it or leave it depending on your amount of enjoyment with their approach to it.

Game of Thrones really sucks because it does color a lot of the previous seasons, basically the whole White Walker and Dany and even Jaime plot arcs you know are leading to fairly dull or just full on stupid endings.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
If I remember correctly, this is just an interpretation of George's work by someone and not the man himself. But GRRM likes to build up fan expectations in thinking that certain characters are the main character of the books first Ned then to a much lesser extent Robb (who doesn't have any POVs), Renly etc.

Everyone who you thinks should be the main focus of the story or will be is killed off quite early and the focus of the books are really the characters that a lot of fantasy writers ignore. The mothers, the sisters, a dwarf, a bastard, an orphan princess halfway across the world and a crippled boy. Yet even then, Bran isn't seen as THE main characters, it's Dany or Jon who's secretly a King.

GRRM really played with fan expectations.

I wouldn't say that about Bran. Bran has always been portrayed by GRRM as a main character. He starts the story after all.

It's just that people thought Bran was a messiah for the magic apocalypse but wouldn't matter much to the political story.

But he's actually the answer to the political story as well. So that's where he really played with expectations because they thought Bran would stay in his lane not take over both the magical and political story.

It's my belief that overall, it is very close to being Bran Stark's story. He's at least first among equals when it comes to Jon, Bran and Dany.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say that about Bran. Bran has always been portrayed by GRRM as a main character. He starts the story after all.

It's just that people thought Bran was a messiah for the magic apocalypse but wouldn't matter much to the political story.

But he's actually the answer to the political story as well. So that's where he really played with expectations because they thought Bran would stay in his lane not take over both the magical and political story.

It's my belief that overall, it is very close to being Bran Stark's story. He's at least first among equals when it comes to Jon, Bran and Dany.

I think the thing is that the story doesn't do enough to justify that. Even in the books, Bran isn't THAT present. He isn't that prominent. His arc is there, sure, but it's so secondary to EVERYTHING that audiences should be forgiven for believing it's mostly there to provide context, explanation and world depth rather than a "where the story has always been going all along" kind of thing.

The first POV in a story is not always the most important one. After all, the actual first PoV in Game of Thrones is actually Will in the prologue.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

He does start the story but then he quickly loses the use of his legs and is confined to a wheelchair. In a world of Knights, Kings and the like, what use is a boy in a wheelchair?

IMO, GRRM used fans' ableism and as a result Bran was confined to someone who was destined to simply be an info dump. He'd find out about Jon's parentage or some other important information and pass it on to the characters who can effect change in the world.

My point is, it IS Bran's story but almost no one realized that it was.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Holy shit, I totally forgot about that Tyrion conversation trying to rationalise killing slavers and rapists as actually a bad thing. Fuck this show.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do enjoy that she spent zero time going over bran because thats exactly how much time the actual show spent with Bran before deciding he was incredibly important to everything and that he should be king.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the thing is that the story doesn't do enough to justify that. Even in the books, Bran isn't THAT present. He isn't that prominent. His arc is there, sure, but it's so secondary to EVERYTHING that audiences should be forgiven for believing it's mostly there to provide context, explanation and world depth rather than a "where the story has always been going all along" kind of thing.

The first POV in a story is not always the most important one. After all, the actual first PoV in Game of Thrones is actually Will in the prologue.

He is pretty prominent. Like, I think the story beats you over the head in book one that Bran Stark is the messiah.

Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him. And he looked past the Wall, past endless forests cloaked in snow, past the frozen shore and the great blue-white rivers of ice and the dead plains where nothing grew or lived. North and north and north he looked, to the curtain of light at the end of the world, and then beyond that curtain. He looked deep into the heart of winter, and then he cried out, afraid, and the heat of his tears burned on his cheeks.
Now you know, the crow whispered as it sat on his shoulder.
Now you know why you must live.

"Why?" Bran said, not understanding, falling, falling

Because winter is coming

He's not prominent in that you see a lot of him but in terms of importance, he's a step above even Dany and Jon.

The show removing dream sequences like the above actually downplays Bran's importance.

And you know Bran's not a charismatic warrior like Jon and Robb. He's just a depressed and disabled little boy so people set low expectations of what a character like that can accomplish. He's the type of character people would think is the support to the main hero.

1680x1050_px_anime_Kamina_simon_Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann-1503715.jpg!d

1a16afb1883636b05e7f874c6e99e778.png

It's not 1 for 1, but as a character he's overshadowed by his old brothers in the same way that Kamina overshadows Simon in Gurren Lagann.

GRRM: When I was writing the first chapter, I really didn't know what it was. Is this a short story? Is this a chapter of a novel? Is it all gonna be about this kid Bran? …Bran is the first of the major characters you meet, after the prologue.

Anyways, GRRM has already mentioned that he wrote the prologue after he wrote Bran's chapter. He wrote Bran's chapter first.

GRRM: I've had a million people tell me that was the moment that hooked them, where they said, "Well, this is just not the same story I read a million times before." Bran is the first viewpoint character. In the back of their heads, people are thinking Bran is the hero of the story. He's young King Arthur. We're going to follow this young boy – and then, boom: You don't expect something like that to happen to him. So that was successful [laughs].

GRRM: It had been years since I wrote a novel. I had an idea for a science-fiction novel called Avalon. I started work on it and it was going pretty good, when suddenly it just came to me, this scene, from what would ultimately be the first chapter of A Game of Thrones. It's from Bran's viewpoint; they see a man beheaded and they find some direwolf pups in the snow. It just came to me so strongly and vividly that I knew I had to write it. I sat down to write, and in, like, three days it just came right out of me, almost in the form you've read.

And you are meant to think that Bran is young King Arthur in the books at least until he's crippled. The initial expectation of Bran was the correct one. The journey there was just different.

The framing of Bran as a main character doesn't come across in the show. He comes as more of a secondary character with about as much prominence as Theon Greyjoy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And you are meant to think that Bran is young King Arthur in the books at least until he's crippled. The initial expectation of Bran was the correct one. The journey there was just different.

The framing of Bran as a main character doesn't come across in the show. He comes as more of a secondary character with about as much prominence as Theon Greyjoy.

I just thought of him as a kid. I never figured he was young King Arthur, and none of the books really build him up as someone you would want to follow.

Hell, he isn't even particularly likeable.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GRRM plays straight just a many fantasy tropes as he subverts. Chosen ones, prophecy twists, important characters dying quick, stupid deaths, people ignoring the greater enemy in the face of their own petty political squabbles have all been around since Tolkien if not before.

But it seems that D&D assumed ASoIaF was good only because it subverted expectations, and not because it was simply WELL-WRITTEN.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
GRRM plays straight just a many fantasy tropes as he subverts. Chosen ones, prophecy twists, important characters dying quick, stupid deaths, people ignoring the greater enemy in the face of their own petty political squabbles have all been around since Tolkien if not before.

But it seems that D&D assumed ASoIaF was good only because it subverted expectations, and not because it was simply WELL-WRITTEN.
They admitted that all they cared about was getting to the red wedding, and it shows

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
This was, by far, the most intelligent, coherent break down of GoT I've watched. Lindsay doesn't ramble, her point by point tear down isn't emotional based but fact based with stinging, poignant example after example. The amount of alcohol she kept accumulating in the background was also expertly done.

I am now officially done with GoT until the next book is released, until then, as always, fuck D & D.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Setting up Tyrion as this cunning hero and reaching a point where he's written on a level that Dinklage himself (not to imply he's an unintelligent man) is like "I'm sorry what the fuck" is kind of amazing when you think about it.
"Look, I voice acted for a video game about wizards and moons and even that is still smarter than this scene."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Holy shit, I totally forgot about that Tyrion conversation trying to rationalise killing slavers and rapists as actually a bad thing. Fuck this show.

I do think that the idea behind why Dany is dead and Bran is king is because Bran sees the humanity in everyone and Dany does not.

It's implied that Bran values all life from the deleted scene in the script and Daenerys only values the lives of people who she doesn't have anything against.

She's merciless towards anyone that would oppose her which includes people like slavers and rapists but could also include otherwise decent people like Tyrion and Dickon Tarly.

So what Benioff and Weiss are inelegantly saying are that we cheered her on because she directed her brutality against the right people but her views of who the right people aren't always going to be the right people.

She has a mode of conduct against her enemies that is brutal and she's not going to change. The show does build that up. It's just that people thought it was to make Dany look cool rather than foreshadowing and making a statement.

But I hate that they used "the first they came for" approach. It's a little insulting

s8 did literally nothing right
maxresdefault.jpg

House Baratheon's revival.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely wonderful video.

That "first they came for" analogy is so insulting I can't even.
But you see her killing people that even by medieval era style morals were bad people bu methods that's not particularly out there by their standards is equal to killing minorities or political groups that were used as scapegoats who were ultimately innocent and didn't do anything other than being different

Same thing really

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I just thought of him as a kid. I never figured he was young King Arthur, and none of the books really build him up as someone you would want to follow.

Hell, he isn't even particularly likeable.

I mean he's named after Brandon the Builder who saved the world from the Others and became king afterwards. That gives him more import inherently.

I think PQ got it years ago when he said that Bran is the closest the series comes to a sole protagonist:

Anon: Soooooo you once said that if ASOIAF had a singular protagonist, it could be argued that it's Bran. Why would you say that exactly?

PQ: 1) He's the first recurring POV, and that first chapter of his sets the tone in a lot of ways for the series–we get Ned's musings on justice and bravery, the introduction of the direwolves, etc.

2) And in his second chapter, we learn one of the series' most important secrets (the twincest) and GRRM hits us with the first of many agonizing plot twists: the fall.

3) And in his third chapter, we're introduced to the metaphysical plot, to which Bran is more closely tied than any other character. He's hovering above the rest of the story.

4) Indeed, there's no multi-character "three heads of the dragon" going on with Bran. He's singular in his place in the magical infrastructure, which IMO puts him a step above Jon, Dany, and Tyrion in the protagonist sweepstakes.

5) And unlike them, his powers have him poised to start playing an active role in storylines across the world. He can put all the pieces together like no one else.

6) As Bran the ReBuilder, he'll lead the way in the post-Others reconstruction.

7) He's a little kid who wants to be a knight, and is going to save the world with his magic, and is an exile prince who loves and understands his castle more than anybody else. Even more than Jon or Dany, his story is just chock-full of classic fantasy imagery, as if GRRM was trying to create the ur-protagonist for his genre.

I mean early chapter Bran is patterned after Simon Snowcloak and Wart. Precocious, little kids that grow up to be king.

Anyways, Bran's not meant to be charismatic but books do state that he would make a good lord and that he's smart enough to make for a maester which coincidentally something Tyrion and Samwell share as well.

"Your notion about the bastard may have merit, Bran," Maester Luwin said after. "One day you will be a good lord for Winterfell, I think."

"There are some who call my order the knights of the mind," Luwin replied. "You are a surpassing clever boy when you work at it, Bran. Have you ever thought that you might wear a maester's chain? There is no limit to what you might learn."

(Also that line quote is nice foreshadowing considering Bran becomes an unlimited fountain of knowledge.)

So Bran's kingship is really centered on what if the smart, outcasts( Brienne, Tyrion, Davos, Bran and Sam) ruled society rather than macho warriors or popular dudes.

Anyways, your mileage may vary on how effective it is for you but Bran's POV really pounds it in your head that Jaime ruined his life and took his dreams and now he's this miserable, self-hating child. So we are meant to have empathize with him utterly.

oby78ydkz8031.png

Beyond the castle walls, a roar of sound went up. The foot soldiers and townsfolk were cheering Robb as he rode past, Bran knew; cheering for Lord Stark, for the Lord of Winterfell on his great stallion, with his cloak streaming and Grey Wind racing beside him. They would never cheer for him that way, he realized with a dull ache. He might be the lord in Winterfell while his brother and father were gone, but he was still Bran the Broken. He could not even get off his own horse, except to fall.

Harrion Karstark, the oldest of Lord Rickard's sons, bowed, and his brothers after him, yet as they settled back in their places he heard the younger two talking in low voices, over the clatter of wine cups. "… sooner die than live like that," muttered one, his father's namesake Eddard, and his brother Torrhen said likely the boy was broken inside as well as out, too craven to take his own life.

Broken, Bran thought bitterly as he clutched his knife. Is that what he was now? Bran the Broken? "I don't want to be broken," he whispered fiercely to Maester Luwin, who'd been seated to his right. "I want to be a knight."

RCO004_w.jpg

"I want you to say the words. Tell me who you are."

"Bran," he said sullenly. Bran the Broken. "Brandon Stark." The cripple boy. "The Prince of Winterfell." Of Winterfell burned and tumbled, its people scattered and slain. The glass gardens were smashed, and hot water gushed from the cracked walls to steam beneath the sun. How can you be the prince of someplace you might never see again?

anamika

May 18, 2018
So Bran's kingship is really centered on what if the smart, outcasts( Brienne, Tyrion, Davos, Bran and Sam) ruled society rather than macho warriors or popular dudes.

The smart outcasts in the books include Jon and Dany and not Brienne and Davos though... And as per the show, Dany dies and Jon is exiled. Even though these are the two characters who actually get whole books and arcs where they realy do some serious smart administration and rule. In the books, Brienne is the macho warrior, not Jon.

Characters in the books who have actual experience in administration at the end of book 5 : Tyrion, Bran, Jon and Dany.

I do think that the idea behind why Dany is dead and Bran is king is because Bran sees the humanity in everyone and Dany does not.

It's implied that Bran values all life from the deleted scene in the script and Daenerys only values the lives of people who she doesn't have anything against.

I am sorry, but how the fuck does the emotionless robo Bran on the show see humanity more than Dany on the show? We have the Dany who gives water to dying slaves on the crucifix and Bran who just sits there with a blank stare on his face and you think Bran has more humanity?

The fact that Bran says 'Why do you think I came all this way' at the end indicates that he pretty much set things in motion at the beginning, knew that KL was going to burn and yet did nothing so that he could become King. I see him as more villainous than Dany on the show. Dany became mad and snapped. Bran deliberately kept silent to become king.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Now this video is the good stuff.

...and yet I had moved on, I had forgotten. Now all the feelings of disappointment are back. Gods this show is stupid.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing Bran to Simon from Gurren Lagann like it was Bran's story all along makes no sense.

Fucker was absent for an entire season of the show. Nothing about the show's resolution makes sense but Bran being King is the one thing possibly in the universe that actually makes less than zero sense, it makes negative sense.

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of great lines in this video, but the lasting part for me was how the show is no longer rewatchable because the ending did not deliver the payoff the show built up. This is in direct contrast to shows like Breaking Bad where even knowing how it ends the show is still exciting and enjoyable to watch because it isn't all buildings to something great.

Ramin Djawadi's music was good and some of the acting was good.

That's about it.

Nah, that's revisionist slander. Outside of the writing, S8 was a marvel of filmmaking, from top to bottom. Costume design, cinematography, visuals, art design, it was a master class. It was simply all in service of bad writing.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of great lines in this video, but the lasting part for me was how the show is no longer rewatchable because the ending did not deliver the payoff the show built up. This is in direct contrast to shows like Breaking Bad where even knowing how it ends the show is still exciting and enjoyable to watch because it isn't all buildings to something great.

Yup. An ending to a series that is both satisfying and intelligently done, that gives back to the characters and their respective buildup over the series is not only incredibly rewarding but also makes said series a FUN re-watch. Dexter is another example I can site that completely fucked up its characters and therefor, it's ending as a series, such as GoT, is not only unintelligent, insulting garbage, it's not re-watchable, the pay off isn't worth it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The smart outcasts in the books include Jon and Dany and not Brienne and Davos though... And as per the show, Dany dies and Jon is exiled. Even though these are the two characters who actually get whole books and arcs where they realy do some serious smart administration and rule. In the books, Brienne is the macho warrior, not Jon.

Characters in the books who have actual experience in administration at the end of book 5 : Tyrion, Bran, Jon and Dany.

From years ago by Preston Jacobs:

Preston Jacobs: I'll say this about Jon Snow being the chosen one and defeating evil. Our author has never written a story ending that way. It is a trope that our author seems to want to avoid. Weirdo-freak protagonists like Tuf can succeed but not a classic hero like Jon at least not in a badass sword-fight triumph over evil sort of way. But even Tuf the weirdo doesn't have a traditional ending normally.

Anyways, Jon and Dany are more subversions of that since they're specifically Byronic heroes.

GRRM: Well who wouldn't want to be Jon Snow — the brooding, Byronic, romantic hero whom all the girls love.

For instance, Jon is constructed to be the eternal outcast but because he's the rightful heir, there's a sense of irony to it. The guy who should be at the top of the food chain is instead forever looked down on by people. I think GRRM gets a kick out of that.

The Byronic Hero is a type of character popularized by the works of Lord Byron, whose protagonists often embodied this archetype (though they did exist before him). This trope gained prominence during Romanticism. Sometimes an Anti-Hero, others an Anti-Villain, or even just a Villain, Byronic heroes are charismatic characters with strong passions and ideals, but who are nonetheless deeply flawed individuals who may act in ways which are socially reprehensible because he's definitely contrary to his mainstream society. A Byronic hero is on his own side and has his own set of beliefs which he will not bow nor change for anyone. A Byronic hero is a character whose internal conflicts are heavily romanticized and who himself ponders and wrestles with his struggles and beliefs. Some are portrayed with a suggestion of dark crimes or tragedies in their past.

His intense drive and determination to live out his philosophy without regard to others' philosophies produce conflict, and may result in a tragic end, should he fail, or revolution, should he succeed. Because of this, he is very rebellious, having a distaste for social institutions and norms and is disrespectful of rank and privilege, though he often has said rank and privilege himself. This rebellion often leads to social isolation, rejection, or exile, or to being treated as an outlaw, but he will not compromise, being unavoidably self-destructive.

Jon is exiled and Dany dies.

Oct 26, 2017
She doesn't bring a lot of new points but this is a fantastic tear down of why those final seasons are so bad. Fantastic work.

And yeah, that Tyrion speech is ridiculous. Killing slavers is not a prelude to anything bad and acting like it's a natural jump is insulting.
It literally is "punching nazis makes you the real nazi" levels of stupid.

anamika

May 18, 2018
From years ago by Preston Jacobs:

Anyways, Jon and Dany are more subversions of that since they're specifically Byronic heroes.

For instance, Jon is constructed to be the eternal outcast but because he's the rightful heir, there's a sense of irony to it. The guy who should be at the top of the food chain is instead forever looked down on by people. I think GRRM gets a kick out of that.
All this does not matter - You were talking about smart outcasts - Jon and Dany are among the few young characters who actually do smart administration, rule, bring about innovative new ideas like green houses and irrigation canals. Not Brienne and Davos. GRRM devotes a lot of time setting up Jon and Dany as rulers giving them entire arcs where they learn about the actual hardship of ruling - he does not give that to Brienne and Davos - who are tertiary characters in the series.

As for this:
It seems like characters like Robb, Daenerys and Jon got built up more to make it more surprising when they failed and Bran got downplayed so as to make it more surprising when he won and because Benioff and Weiss weren't sure what to do with him without GRRM's details.
Yeah, no.

This is the POV count of the characters in the 5 books so far:

Tyrion Lannister: 47
Jon Snow: 42
Arya Stark: 33
Dany: 31
Sansa: 24
Bran: 21
Jaime:17
Cersei: 12

Jon literally has twice the POV chapters and story than Bran in the books.

These are character screen times after season 8:

Tyrion: 679 mins
Jon: 651 mins
Dany: 524 mins
Cersei: 425 mins
Sansa: 418 mins
Arya: 393 mins
Jaime: 393 mins
Bran: 224 mins

So no, the show did not build up Jon and Dany at the expense of Bran. In fact if you look at the POV chapters and corresponding screen time, it was Arya who suffered the most while characters like Sansa and Cersei got more writing on the show. GRRM's central 5 characters were Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya and Bran. D&D were just more interested in writing for Sansa and Cersei on the show. Arya has not had a proper story in 3 seasons and she had pretty much no story once she got to Westeros other than killing off some side characters.

I would say that the show build up Sansa at the expense of Bran. Bran is the rightful heir of WF - with actual experience of ruling WF and the North when Robb was gone. But once he actually got to WF he was nerfed into an automaton who just sat there while Sansa walked around instructing actual armorers on armor making because girl power.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Comparing Bran to Simon from Gurren Lagann like it was Bran's story all along makes no sense.

Fucker was absent for an entire season of the show. Nothing about the show's resolution makes sense but Bran being King is the one thing possibly in the universe that actually makes less than zero sense, it makes negative sense.

Well, the Simon-Bran comparison is because they both feel overshadowed by their cooler, older bros who die in the early part of the story. It's more about framing. I mean this paragraph gives Simon-Kamina vibes to me:

Beyond the castle walls, a roar of sound went up. The foot soldiers and townsfolk were cheering Robb as he rode past, Bran knew; cheering for Lord Stark, for the Lord of Winterfell on his great stallion, with his cloak streaming and Grey Wind racing beside him. They would never cheer for him that way, he realized with a dull ache. He might be the lord in Winterfell while his brother and father were gone, but he was still Bran the Broken. He could not even get off his own horse, except to fall.

Little kid character feels overshadowed by his amazingly charismatic big bro. Big bro dies and little bro ends up reaching a higher position than the cooler, older brother ever did.

Anyways, the show downplays Bran's importance a lot in context and barely even scratches the lore of the Children of the Forest which is vitally important to Bran becoming king.

Like, the Children of the Forest all know that Bran is going to become king (or at least planning for it) and they're shaping him to take care of Westeros for after the war.

They are,in essence, hand-crafting Westeros' new king for the people because men....

Leaf: "Men, they are the children."

And mankind is only allowing room for man:

"Gone down into the earth," she answered. "Into the stones, into the trees. Before the First Men came all this land that you call Westeros was home to us, yet even in those days we were few. The gods gave us long lives but not great numbers, lest we overrun the world as deer will overrun a wood where there are no wolves to hunt them. That was in the dawn of days, when our sun was rising. Now it sinks, and this is our long dwindling. The giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
All this does not matter - You were talking about smart outcasts - Jon and Dany are among the few young characters who actually do smart administration, rule, bring about innovative new ideas like green houses and irrigation canals. Not Brienne and Davos. GRRM devotes a lot of time setting up Jon and Dany as rulers giving them entire arcs where they learn about the actual hardship of ruling - he does not give that to Brienne and Davos - who are tertiary characters in the series.

As for this:

Yeah, no.

This is the POV count of the characters in the 5 books so far:

Tyrion Lannister: 47
Jon Snow: 42
Arya Stark: 33
Dany: 31
Sansa: 24
Bran: 21
Jaime:17
Cersei: 12

These are character screen times after season 8:

Tyrion: 679 mins
Jon: 651 mins
Dany: 524 mins
Cersei: 425 mins
Sansa: 418 mins
Arya: 393 mins
Jaime: 393 mins
Bran: 224 mins

So no, the show did not build up Jon and Dany at the expense of Bran. In fact if you look at the POV chapters and corresponding screen time, it was Arya who suffered the most while characters like Sansa and Cersei got more writing on the show. GRRM's central 5 characters were Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya and Bran. D&D were just more interested in writing for Sansa and Cersei on the show. Arya has not had a proper story in 3 seasons and she had pretty much no story once she got to Westeros other than killing off some side characters.

I would say that the show build up Sansa at the expense of Bran. Bran is the rightful heir of WF - with actual experience of ruling WF and the North when Robb was gone. But once he actually got to WF he was nerfed into an automaton who just sat there while Sansa walked around instructing actual armorers on armor making because girl power.

You can't really use screentime as a good metric because characters like Bran and Arya have isolated stories whereas Cersei and Jaime criss-cross stories with other characers all the time. A character like Cersei looks much more important when you actually check how much page time she has in chapters that aren't his. A lot.

Arya is also a less important character than Bran even if she does get more page time because Arya's not a messianic character like Bran, Jon and Dany.

Anyways, Davos is an advisor and we see him do plenty of advising with Stannis. Brienne's not really an advisor but she has input as LC of the KG and is one of the most honorable people ever so she has a purpose being there as well.

Now on Dany and Jon, it's an exploration of how they succeed and fail and develop sometimes in the wrong ways.

Like, Dany's experiences in Meereen help shape her into the Fire and Blood tyrant that she'll be by the end of the story for example.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I care enough about GoT to watch another takedown, but let's give it a shot...
MY GOD THAT'S ROBERT CARO MUSIC
You win this round Lindsay.

anamika

May 18, 2018
You can't really use screentime as a good metric because characters like Bran and Arya have isolated stories whereas Cersei and Jaime criss-cross stories with other characers all the time. A character like Cersei looks much more important when you actually check how much page time she has in chapters that aren't his. A lot.

Arya is also a less important character than Bran even if she does get more page time because Arya's not a messianic character like Bran, Jon and Dany.

Sansa also has isolated stories in the later books - but if you look at the show, her screentime progressively increases in later seasons. So while D&D had all important Bran sit out a season, they were giving Sansa new plots and stories and writing additional material for her. D&D pretty much did not write anything for Bran in Winterfell while he was there at the same time as Sansa. Once he got to WF, it was the chance for them to write him as playing a role in taking down the dead/Others - that part went to Arya. Or being a leader of WF - that part went to Sansa. Bran Stark actually got shafted in favor of his sisters. Not because of Jon and Dany.

So again, it's not Jon and Dany getting build up - they actually got more build up in the books as leaders - an entire book showing Jon as a smart, strategic, politically savvy leader - whereas on the show he's a naive fool. They got the screen time on the show that's equivalent or less than what they got in the books.

Arya is GRRM's lead female character. She was one of the first characters GRRM created along with Bran. There's a lot of queen symbolism in her story (Nymeria). She is a powerful warg. She learned about the North from Ned like Jon and Bran - we often see her thinking about Ned's teaching - the lone wolf dies and pack survives is a saying that often crops up in her story, not Sansa's. We hear again and again about her bonds with the small folk. She is pretty much communicating with Bran via weirwood trees and is most likely heading to the wall as a master of languages, politics, poisons and super lie detector as soon as she hears about what happened to Jon when fake Arya or Jeyne Poole gets to Braavos.

On the show, she had nothing to do and no relevance. She killed the NK - a show created character and then just left Westeros again. And that's it. We still have no idea what is the role of the GRRM's lead female character in the books.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
She nailed it, finally. She really got to the heart of what went wrong here: S8 didn't ruin the show; S5-8 ruined the show. All the characters suffered after S5, and it was noted heavily by many as the struggle went on. S8 only finished what had already begun years earlier.

Probably why I felt absolutely nothing when this ended. Not anger, not pain. Just "well, that sucked. Time to go have a bowl and watch some Chernobyl".

Yet, ofc that was when they exploded in popularity and rode that wave to acclaim, fame, contracts, and critical awards. So fuck it. We live in a society.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Ellis really needs to just make a 30 minute video tearing Robert Moses apart. We all know she wants to.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've never so quickly gone from love to complete apathy over a piece of media before . The video reminds me why I had to unfollow the OT, I just couldn't bear to read anyone defending what the show turned into, how it ended.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't come here to talk about this shit show of our generation.

But just know Lindsey what on The Hobbit got Hugo award nominated? Wowza
<3

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the GoT equivalent of the Plinkett Phantom Menace review without the lame humor and its better articulated and backed up very thoughtfully.