• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Glad a lot of people know about Katzenberg.

Btw, there are still plenty of Katzenbergs left at Disney. I haven't done any work there in a long time, but a couple of my colleagues said working there is a destroyer of souls. I am strictly talking about a couple of departments. I did hear that DSS (bamtech) and a couple of other departments are a joy to work with/for.

Oct 25, 2017
If she can give a nuanced, measured take on the ups and downs of this season while taking into account the monumental effort that went into it from everybody on and off camera, I'd be happy to watch it. If she's yet another Youtuber who wants clicks by saying "worst season ever" and just bashing D&D for being "lazy" then it will be insufferable. I trust her to be more of the former, but many of the Youtubers I used to respect have become the latter.
So, I mean, she's rebuilt her YouTube career in being nuanced and measured, and researched and documented options on media. She has a masters in fine arts and studied film in college and post. She's not a fly-by-night click-bait YouTuber who drives for clicks; she's an actual professional.

Now, as a result of that, she might not also think that GoT's final season or episodes is a 7/10 or that we all need to meet in the middle and discuss the pros and cons of it all, and not validating opinions on the series and latter seasons/ending, but... I mean you can watch it or not.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was really bad. Anastasia was an actual princess that went missing and it's a mystery if she was killed or was put into hiding. Bluth made a what if movie if she was alive. Oof.

Well, that and the movie papering over something as historically major as the Russian Revolution and the subsequent Communist regime under Stalin (and this isn't like a fairy tale or a period piece covering a not-as-well-known time of history hundreds of years ago, this happened literally the century the movie came out and was, as I'll reiterate, a big deal ) with a super thin "eh, things kinda suck right now but hey, it's a living" backdrop in service of a super trite and relentlessly dull love story.

I can't tell if the movie's existence is a bigger insult to Disney movies or to the millions of people who suffered during that time period.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Another great from one of the best on YouTube. I had no idea about this conflict but I was ignorant of looking back into the Disney movies I watched years back. Glad somebody was willing to come along and apologize. Screw that Katzenbug.

I'm still bummed that Disney won't be making 2D animated feature films any time soon, if ever again.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I usually like Lindsey, but I'm kinda confused by this one. Like, if Disney violated his contract, why didn't Williams sue them? She says they claim he signed off on every ad. Did he, or are they just lying?

And most of her "it didn't happen before and now its all fixed because the actors "inspired" the characters" seems like a... stretch. In a world where Mandy Moore is starring as Rapunzle, Kristen Bell in Frozen, and the Rock in Moana, I'd say that selling movies based on actors is still good business.

The ironic part to me is, Williams is basically the only actor I can think of that would inspire me to go see an animated feature.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually like Lindsey, but I'm kinda confused by this one. Like, if Disney violated his contract, why didn't Williams sue them? She says they claim he signed off on every ad. Did he, or are they just lying?

And most of her "it didn't happen before and now its all fixed because the actors "inspired" the characters" seems like a... stretch. In a world where Mandy Moore is starring as Rapunzle, Kristen Bell in Frozen, and the Rock in Moana, I'd say that selling movies based on actors is still good business.

The ironic part to me is, Williams is basically the only actor I can think of that would inspire me to go see an animated feature.

1. Disney stretched thin their agreement of the 25% thing. Then blatantly ignored Robin towards the final commercial release with commercials, merchandise, and toys not part of the agreement, using the Genie's voice and likeness to sell merchandise not part of Robin's agreement, all while Robin saw no compensation when he already asked for a very reduced paycheck. Disney did have him approve of all the agreements he dictated, they just went around Robin's clear verbal desires he told them by the written contract out of bad faith.
It's cleverly written wordplay that is used to trick most people in contracts. So Robin, upset, upheld the written contract because he is a good person. Just vowed not to work with Disney ever again (which lasted a long time until Prince of Thieves).

2. I don't know about you, but I didn't go out of my way to see any of those movies because those actors are in it. Hell, I didn't even know who Kristen Bell was until Frozen, and she has since moved onto other projects I'm now obsessed with. Disney films are not just shoe-horning actors to play characters in their animated movies, they are carefully selecting actors who would bring out the best of their characters because of bigger budgets, if it happens to be a more top class actor/singer who accepts the role, so be it. They aren't purposely using famous actors as the sole marketing point for a movie with characters that play no role in the story. Hence the Gargoyles in Hunchback, or other studio's attempts at getting audiences to see their star voiced movie.
However, live-action Disney is the complete opposite in this regards and has clear parallels of this, especially in their commercials and marketing. Just look at Aladdin and they are trouting Will Smith or the Lion King's actors.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I'd put him in the same class in popular media as Alan Rickman -- obviously they're damn talented actors (especially on stage) but their roles in film are more character work and voice over stuff. One was in Galaxy Quest, Harry Potter, and the H2G2 film; the other was a "forgotten" Doctor Who incarnation and all those nightmare-inducing animated films like Watership Down, Plague Dogs, The Black Cauldron. And again, both damn talented.
Um Alien?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
If she can give a nuanced, measured take on the ups and downs of this season while taking into account the monumental effort that went into it from everybody on and off camera, I'd be happy to watch it. If she's yet another Youtuber who wants clicks by saying "worst season ever" and just bashing D&D for being "lazy" then it will be insufferable. I trust her to be more of the former, but many of the Youtubers I used to respect have become the latter.

Trust us, she and her team are not going to go soft on the show, either intellectually or professionally. She's not going to just spout her personal opinions and call it a day.

But being intellectually honest and professional doesn't mean she'll say it's a "mixed bag" just for the sake of appearing unbiased. She actually has a degree and masters in cinema and fine arts, so... if she does come to the conclusion that GoT Season 8 was the worst season ever, she's probably right. Not that she's said that. In fact, before the last couple of episodes, she's never actually talked about GoT on Twitter or her videos. I had no idea she was such a passionate fan.

The season was so bad, she said she just couldn't keep quiet and has particularly strong opinions about how the show atrociously tackled the female characters from the books, especially this season.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that and the movie papering over something as historically major as the Russian Revolution and the subsequent Communist regime under Stalin (and this isn't like a fairy tale or a period piece covering a not-as-well-known time of history hundreds of years ago, this happened literally the century the movie came out and was, as I'll reiterate, a big deal ) with a super thin "eh, things kinda suck right now but hey, it's a living" backdrop in service of a super trite and relentlessly dull love story.

I can't tell if the movie's existence is a bigger insult to Disney movies or to the millions of people who suffered during that time period.
Yeeaaaah.... But hey look! A talking rat bat!!!

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who questions whether Lindsay can do a well reasoned and nuance video of GoT should watch her Hobbit trilogy videos. They're top level critiques with jason schreier levels of deep dives into the behind the scenes mess.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who questions whether Lindsay can do a well reasoned and nuance video of GoT should watch her Hobbit trilogy videos. They're top level critiques with jason schreier levels of deep dives into the behind the scenes mess.
I don't know. It's weird it took her until season 8 to realize the show was going down the tubes.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Great video as always.

Exactly what she said it did?

Shit, Anastasia was banking so hard on star power that it even translated to other regions, even disney movies back then when dubbed got just your usual VA proffessionals in latin america, but for Anastasia they stunt casted Thalia.
LatAm Disney did that before Anastasia. Can't recall for the earlier ones, but Hercules was voiced by Ricky Martin and they promoted the *shit* out of that back then.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
LatAm Disney did that before Anastasia. Can't recall for the earlier ones, but Hercules was voiced by Ricky Martin and they promoted the *shit* out of that back then.

Coincidentally both movies came out same year, but within a time frame that couldn't possibly mean one copied the other.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gonna be good.

I really hope Dan Olson decides to do something GoT related on Folding Ideas too. His 50 Shades of Grey series was outstanding.
I noticed that Dan tends to choose films that are less popular for video essayists or particularly flawed films.

I'm not sure he will do one unless he has a specific angle because there is going to be thousands of GOT post-mortems, he knows this, he knows Lindsay is doing one cuz they're friends and he probably shares the same thoughts.

Even his Detective Pikachu and Endgame videos were kinda jokey meta-commentaries on other reviewers and the video essayist culture.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Glad a lot of people know about Katzenberg.

Btw, there are still plenty of Katzenbergs left at Disney. I haven't done any work there in a long time, but a couple of my colleagues said working there is a destroyer of souls. I am strictly talking about a couple of departments. I did hear that DSS (bamtech) and a couple of other departments are a joy to work with/for.
My animation instructor worked for Disney during the Katzenberg era and he outright admitted EVERYONE in the animation department hated him. They had to fight like hell to keep scenes like the "Part of Your World" segment from The Little Mermaid because Katzenberg wanted it scrapped after a kid dropped his popcorn ("It means they're not engaged"). The Rescuers Down Under's boy was supposed to be an aborigine child, but Katzenberg insisted they scrap it and use a token blonde white kid because that was "more relatable" (they did an animation scene of the boy being devoured by the crocodiles to show their disappointment for one screening). He absolutely butchered the theatrical cut of The Black Cauldron by taken the scissors to it at the 11th hour, removing nearly 25 minutes of footage which was then discarded and is presumed to be lost forever. He went on and on about how there was an "A" team and "B" team at Disney, with the "real" professionals working on their next big Oscar-worthy project, Pocahontas, and all the "lesser" talent were doing some "silly animal movie" (it became The Lion King).

On and on and on, story after story. It was surreal.

Thankfully, they got some catharsis out of their former boss when The Incredibles came along.
559c4ee57da372a264eaabe829019c72.jpg

source.gif

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed that Dan tends to choose films that are less popular for video essayists or particularly flawed films.

I'm not sure he will do one unless he has a specific angle because there is going to be thousands of GOT post-mortems, he knows this, he knows Lindsay is doing one cuz they're friends and he probably shares the same thoughts.

Even his Detective Pikachu and Endgame videos were kinda jokey meta-commentaries on other reviewers and the video essayist culture.
Good point. I'm actually glad he goes after obscure material more often than not.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. It's weird it took her until season 8 to realize the show was going down the tubes.
I think it's a good sign that she's waited to do a post-mortem, AFTER the shows over. Not after every season or every episode like everyone else in the internet.

I'm much more interested in a deep dive of the show as a whole,which I'm guessing is what she'll do based in her past content.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
What did she say regarding Disney being to blame? I'm at work and can't watch it yet, so really curious. I adore "Toys" and really want it on Blu-Ray.
Just that the reason Robin didn't want his part to be marketed the way it was was to keep his upcoming passion project, Toys, from being swallowed up by Aladdin. Which was, looking at the BO totals.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My animation instructor worked for Disney during the Katzenberg era and he outright admitted EVERYONE in the animation department hated him. They had to fight like hell to keep scenes like the "Part of Your World" segment from The Little Mermaid because Katzenberg wanted it scrapped after a kid dropped his popcorn ("It means they're not engaged"). The Rescuers Down Under's boy was supposed to be an aborigine child, but Katzenberg insisted they scrap it and use a token blonde white kid because that was "more relatable" (they did an animation scene of the boy being devoured by the crocodiles to show their disappointment for one screening). He absolutely butchered the theatrical cut of The Black Cauldron by taken the scissors to it at the 11th hour, removing nearly 25 minutes of footage which was then discarded and is presumed to be lost forever. He went on and on about how there was an "A" team and "B" team at Disney, with the "real" professionals working on their next big Oscar-worthy project, Pocahontas, and all the "lesser" talent were doing some "silly animal movie" (it became The Lion King).

On and on and on, story after story. It was surreal.

Thankfully, they got some catharsis out of their former boss when The Incredibles came along.
559c4ee57da372a264eaabe829019c72.jpg

source.gif
I heard one as well about him requesting Bill Farmer use a different voice for Goofy in A Goofy Movie, because he felt people wouldn't be able to take it seriously.

That's right. He thought people wouldn't be able to take A Goofy Movie seriously if Goofy sounded goofy.

I'll give him credit for being a good businessman but man, his artistic instincts seem to just suck, which is something that often gets in the way of his business sense anyway. Even Eisner knew genius when he saw it - the directors for Hunchback talk on the DVD commentary about how they were convinced they'd have to fight tooth and nail to keep the Hellfire sequence, but Eisner loved it and approved it without any hesitation. The only thing they had to change was adding clothes to the fire Esmeralda.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just that the reason Robin didn't want his part to be marketed the way it was was to keep his upcoming passion project, Toys, from being swallowed up by Aladdin. Which was, looking at the BO totals.

Ohhhhh ok. Thank you so much for explaining that. Regardless of how many people dog on that movie, Toys is fantastic and I honestly believe it was ahead of its time.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally both movies came out same year, but within a time frame that couldn't possibly mean one copied the other.
Apologies, for some reason I had Anastasia as a 1998/1999 film in my mind, as in Hercules clearly being released long before for it to be the precursor in that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody saw Rapunzel for Mandy Moore or Frozen for Kristen Bell, both of whom were pretty arguably in slower phases of their careers at the time. Certainly not on the level of The Rock in Moana in terms of promotion / buzz (which is the exception she uses in the video). If Rapunzel had come out when Mandy Moore was at the height of her singing fame, sure, it would be stunt casting, but her career at that point was mostly guest stints on TV shows and other voice work.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Mouse Detective and Olive & Co... man forgot about those movies. Jesus and fern gully

ITS ALL FLOODING BACK TO ME

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody saw Rapunzel for Mandy Moore or Frozen for Kristen Bell, both of whom were pretty arguably in slower phases of their careers at the time. Certainly not on the level of The Rock in Moana in terms of promotion / buzz (which is the exception she uses in the video). If Rapunzel had come out when Mandy Moore was at the height of her singing fame, sure, it would be stunt casting, but her career at that point was mostly guest stints on TV shows and other voice work.
Compare that to something like How to Train Your Dragon, which came out in the same year as Tangled.

Jay Baruchel as Hiccup
America Ferrera (an actual voice actor) as Astrid
Gerard Butler (Leonidas from 300) as Stoick
Craig Ferguson (the late night talk show host) as Gobber
Jonah Hill (from Superbad) as Snotlout
Christopher Mintz-Plasse (from Superbad) as Fishlegs
TJ Miller as Tuffnut
Kristen Wiig (popular SNL comedian) as Ruffnut

I love How to Train Your Dragon, but it's clear that Dreamworks leaned a lot harder on celebrity power and stunt casting than Disney did. And it's not like Disney couldn't afford it.

The Rock in Moana was clearly stunt casting, and yet, they seemingly gave equal billing to a literal no-name. Dwayne Johnson's name comes first in the advertising, but Auli'i Cravalho's name comes first in the movie's credits, and I remember she got a lot of face time in the marketing.

Oct 27, 2017
The opening premise is wrong, the advertising of celebrity voices up front didn't start with Aladdin. To address one of the cherry-picked "examples", the Gabors were very popular celebrities on television at the time when the Rescuers was released (and not because of "green acres").

Yes, for an animated film where "we got robin-fucking-williams!", a bunch of outsized hoopla was made, and some crappy inside-baseball-y things happened that and some didn't come out ahead.

But animation wasn't changed over this, that's rather dramatic. Still, I get that she didn't want the video to be titled "Katzenberg: Petty Asshole".

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt on Jeffrey Katzenberg being a prick.

That video is such a bummer and just makes me remember that Robin Williams should still be alive.

People, if you're thinking dark thoughts about suicide please talk to someone. Asking for help is the bravest thing you can do

His history of depression certainly played a role and it sucks he didn't get the help he needed after his diagnosis to maybe help him through coming to some better terms with it in the short term but he knew what would happen to him and I can completely understand why he did it from my personal experience. He probably had more time before it got bad but depending on how quickly his lewy body dementia progressed, he might have passed away already from it given the average life expectancy after symptoms start showing is five to eight years but those few remaining years are in no way a good quality of life. I wouldn't wish anyone to live through the hell that is dementia and it would be especially hell someone like Robin to feel his mind slip away until he's basically gone mentally as it advanced. Never mind the heart break his family would've had to experience watching him fall apart. The process of dementia is a fate much worse than death.

Last edited: