• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
the new video was the first time i ever saw someone using a condom when showing sex in a music video

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of his music (a lot of his songs feel unfinished to me, he always has like, half of a great song. will listen to the full album at work tomorrow tho), but good god, can I have more music videos like his latest in the mainstream please? He absolutely crushes everyone else when it comes to the music video game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the new video was the first time i ever saw someone using a condom when showing sex in a music video

I feel like Nas has easily managed a bunch of "first time ever in a music video" categories.
Not sure how many men have used a fake prosthetic baby belly to advertise their CD as well. xD

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
I was listening to That's What I Want while walking back to my dorm and it was taking every fiber of my mental being to not break out dancing lmao this song is so damn catchy

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
lol
Sorry not sorry for having having good taste. His music is boring.

I can say with absolute certainty anyone who feels the need to shit on music other people like under the guise of "good taste" do not, in fact, have good taste. I can say that with certainty because the behavior is in bad taste.

On topic, haven't had a chance to check this out yet. Will give it a listen tomorrow.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Anything that sounds like Panini?

Quick scan through says no, but it sounds quite versatile and I immediately liked a few. His songs that sound like something you'd hear on an alt rock station are probably my favorites.

Montero, that's what I want, and lost in the citadel were my immediate likes

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What makes this especially delicious is that all the usual suspects will have their little homophobic hissy fit about the sexual content, when in fact this is a rare example of a mainstream music video directly promoting safe sex and sex-positive intimacy.

There's absolutely no non-homophobic, non-puritanical reason to clutch pearls over such a wholesome display of healthy sexuality. It's an irresistible target for religious and conservative hypocrites.

Lil Nas X won.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I can say with absolute certainty anyone who feels the need to shit on music other people like under the guise of "good taste" do not, in fact, have good taste. I can say that with certainty because the behavior is in bad taste.
well said. that's not even touching upon the implication that lil nas x is a troll... for promoting gay positivity? (see my above post)

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I was just on YouTube earlier and suddenly my feed got filled by a bunch of new Lil Nas X song videos with cg graphics + 1 new fullout music video... watched them all, feeling them :)

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
that's not even touching upon the implication that lil nas x is a troll... for promoting gay positivity? (see my above post)
His video for Montero was very much designed to get a rise out of the "Outrage Crowd™" i.e. Fox News, evangelicals and right-wing talk hosts pearl clutching about Nas X giving the devil a lap dance before killing him and all that. I know a lot of people forgot about that but it happened and, again, kudos on him for doing that, that was very funny. Good marketing tool too.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I absolutely loved all the singles leading up to this. Especially in combination with the music videos.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
His video for Montero was very much designed to get a rise out of the "Outrage Crowd™" i.e. Fox News, evangelicals and right-wing talk hosts pearl clutching about Nas X giving the devil a lap dance before killing him and all that. I know a lot of people forgot about that but it happened and, again, kudos on him for doing that, that was very funny. Good marketing tool too.

Please stop.

Oct 27, 2017
This, as the kids say, slaps (once you get past the sketch at the opening):

I'd say trolling is in line with Nas X which, good on him for doing that to right-wing morons. Seeing Fox News freak out over Montero was hilarious.

Doesn't make the music any more listenable.

This dusty nigga really came into a thread to shit on everyone's musical taste and post a 10 year old music video of shit they think "slaps"???

lmao. leaving is free.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling; Insensitivity and Derailing over Multiple Posts
This dusty nigga really came into a thread to shit on everyone's musical taste and post a 10 year old music video of shit they think "slaps"???

lmao. leaving is free.
Sorry i'm not hip with the latest new piece of mediocrity hitting radio the kids are digging.

P.S. So is the ignore button if you're that bothered by me not liking Lil Nas X that you felt the need to post about it.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Sorry i'm not hip with the latest new piece of mediocrity hitting radio the kids are digging.

P.S. So is the ignore button if you're that bothered by me not liking Lil Nas X that you felt the need to post about it.
Why are you bothered by people liking Lil Nas X though

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

You need to stop.

Don't like Lil Nas X? Don't come into a thread to let people know you don't like him. You didn't listen to the album. You came into the thread to be negative and to get a reaction. ANd you didn't give an opinion on his music. You told people their taste in music is bad because it's not the same is yours.

Go away.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ancient-egyptian-music-ph1.jpg

8RGbxyU.png

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why are you bothered by people liking Lil Nas X though
People can like what they like. I just don't like his output thus far, even if I can appreciate what he's brought to the discourse i.e. pissing of right-wingers and getting people talking about black erasure in the genre of country music when Old Town Road got charting.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the main songs, Im really digging Sun Goes Down. Almost done with my first listen through and Ive liked pretty much the whole album.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

Seen it get 2 100s so far so it seems to be getting good reviews.

I absolutely love That's What I Want and the music video for it is amazing. I have never seen a music video be so openly and explicitly gay before. Plus it had a very obvious Brokeback Mountain reference.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I feel pretty good about the album, having just recently gotten into his stuff. It's really frontloaded though. It starts really high and then trails slowly off to a solid finish. The first half is really really strong, though. Dead Right Now is probably my favorite song on there, but the singles are obviously very high too. The new video has a very relatable melancholy to it that enhances the song. If all he does is put out strong singles for the rest of his career I'd still place him very high on my list of current artists. It's a selfish specific want but I kinda wish he'd lean even further into the connective narrative elements in his videos and give us the Nasverse.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What makes this especially delicious is that all the usual suspects will have their little homophobic hissy fit about the sexual content, when in fact this is a rare example of a mainstream music video directly promoting safe sex and sex-positive intimacy.

There's absolutely no non-homophobic, non-puritanical reason to clutch pearls over such a wholesome display of healthy sexuality. It's an irresistible target for religious and conservative hypocrites.

Lil Nas X won.

And probably getting that Durex product placement money as well🤑😂😁

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Yeah wow this is an incredible album. I like every song on it rn. I need to listen to It more, but this might be album of the year for me

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Dope, gonna give it a listen today

edit: saw the new music video and it was really good

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised at the energy the album gives. The two big singles were such bangers I was expecting a lot more of that energy with a few slower tracks peppered through but it's the opposite

Really enjoying it though. Of the new tracks loving Dead Right Now, Scoop, Tales of Dominica, Dont Want It and Life After Salem
Lyrics and production are pretty great throughout and as always he's serving with the visuals on the new video
Is Elton actually in one of me? guessing he's just on the piano?

Deserves all the success

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Never listened to his music but I love how he gets under people's skin. Think I might check out the album.

Oct 25, 2017
This album is like going to the 7/11 and buying your favorite snacks to eat, then going home so you can eat it in your room while you use the computer

I give it a B 🔥

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I liked "Sun Goes Down" and "Am I Dreaming." Didn't really care for the rest of the album, but I'm loving the video for "that's what I want." I love that he's mainstreaming gay romance/sex (especially between black men). All the gay acceptance is supposedly out there, but when it comes to being explicit like this, it's still something that they largely wouldn't let happen. It's always been tiptoed around. Also, good job on showing that condom use.

Hah, oh my god I love this kid.