• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Oh man my 2nd run with the Candle people was crazy. Gave the Lady of Revenge that upgrade that ups here health and got her to 90 health and my champion I got him up to doing 180 damage so he never burned out since I always combo the two. However, if he died I had that card that reformed him and brought him back even stronger. Won that run with the Seraph not getting pass the 1st floor.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Absolutely loved the hell out of Slay the Spire and other deck-building games, but sadly this just isn't clicking for me at all. Admittedly I've only give it about an hour, but I'm usually hooked on deck-building games long before then. I really want to like it, but so far it just hasn't done much for me. :(

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty fun ! But i was never able to do a pure magic run with any deck yet. Always have to rely on monster.... Normal ?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
It's pretty fun ! But i was never able to do a pure magic run with any deck yet. Always have to rely on monster.... Normal ?
Yeah the magic powers are just not strong enough even with the Magic Champion. Plus you need people on each floor to make sure nothing gets pass. Your best bet is to get creatures that incant triggers with spells.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
My other big complaint about this game beyond the structure and lack of enemy/boss variety is the relics. They're boring and heavily based on RNG. 50% chance to daze enemies? Sure, why not? 50% chance to debuff? Again, sure, why not? More health, attack, or armor for the pyre? Meh. Many of them don't encourage to you change your playstyle to fit the relics and they're dull in general.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I bought this and spent 11 hours on it yesterday. Am up to the second level of covenant, but keep getting dumpstered at the final boss. I tend to pursue similar strategies in these games and develop tunnel vision. The Stygians seem super weak, have yet to win a run with them on my team. The plant units are pretty great, and you can do some good work with the demons (getting the chunky 50/50 demon and giving it quick/multi strike cleans up) but umbra is my favorite so far. Have yet to unlock the last faction. I think I need to explore more with my strategies.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Do you build the deck as you go, or do you build the deck prior to the run? I've realized over time that one of the big reasons I like Slay the Spire and not other card games is because I don't have to stress about building a deck before a run and am limited to what I find during it.

This means you like deck building games, and not ccgs. There are others out there. Monster slayers, dream quest, driftlands are also good deck builders

Edit: Oops I did that thing where I respond to a thread that's been open in my browser forever without first finding out the thread is pages longer already

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Ok so I bought this and spent 11 hours on it yesterday. Am up to the second level of covenant, but keep getting dumpstered at the final boss. I tend to pursue similar strategies in these games and develop tunnel vision. The Stygians seem super weak, have yet to win a run with them on my team. The plant units are pretty great, and you can do some good work with the demons (getting the chunky 50/50 demon and giving it quick/multi strike cleans up) but umbra is my favorite so far. Have yet to unlock the last faction. I think I need to explore more with my strategies.
In my opinion the last faction is bonkers powerful if played corrected. Won two runs with them already.

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Oh wow... 40+ hours later I find out you can actually scroll down to the next levels on the map to see what's coming up, like stores wise and shit so maybe you dint waste your money on your current for no reason (like I do alot because I'm not sure if the next will have a store I want).

I think you can also click on the map icon on top right and see everything too. It's very nice in order to plan upgrades ahead.

Played my first run with the Umbra clan and, man... By the end I had the champion on third floor (+12/+4 every time it eats x 2 with an artifact, lol), that unit spawning morsels behind it and a Trample spell on the champion. Crazy stuff!

Once I finally unlock the last clan I will start my Covenant runs.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The candle people are fun, lots of cool synergies with the umbra.

My other big complaint about this game beyond the structure and lack of enemy/boss variety is the relics. They're boring and heavily based on RNG. 50% chance to daze enemies? Sure, why not? 50% chance to debuff? Again, sure, why not? More health, attack, or armor for the pyre? Meh. Many of them don't encourage to you change your playstyle to fit the relics and they're dull in general.

To each their own but I strongly disagree. There are plenty of them that are interesting/build enabling. There are 90 artifacts, 8 of them have an RNG effect, so less than 10%. Three of them are Pyre stat upgrades. Those are also nearly all the generic artifacts. The race specific ones are a bigger departure.

Last edited:

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Gordian Quest. Has anyone who has played both comment on how that compares with Monster Train?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Finally! Fuck me the game is getting hard with these covenant modifiers :(

BbaCpsb.png

Melting / Awoken. Lucked out with the event that lets you get 5 copies of a card so I was running with 6 Molded (ressurect for 1 with burnout) and with the 150/150 champion and two Lady of the House (35/65 with burnout) I basically just tried to have a super beefy bottom floor all the time, a real meat grinder (for both my guys and the enemies) and as soon as anyone died I always had a molded in the hand to ressurect them next turn.

monstertrain://runresult/924cb13a-97ab-473a-8b40-7ae06e48507e

edit: oh just hit 50 hours played too lol >_<

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Gordian Quest. Has anyone who has played both comment on how that compares with Monster Train?

That's me and I made a thread on it.

I actively play both, but they're two very different titles.

Monster Train is a blend of Slay the Spire + Tower Defense and is very much a short but highly replayable run type game. It's also a complete game and has 8 player real time MP.

Gordian Quest is a blend of Slay the Spire + Darkest Dungeon (combat style/items) + Path of Exile/FFX (Sphere Grid/Skill Tree) + Dungeons & Dragons (skill check rolls, general Faerun fantasy style) and is very much a long term run game with each act taking ~5-8 hours and there eventually going to be 4 acts for 20-32 hour runs. It has a heavy focus on long term character development and really leans in on RPG mechanics. It's also early access - the quality is extremely high but it's lacking 75% of the total content it will have by launch.

It really depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.

That said I'd generally recommend Monster Train over Gordian if you can only buy one atm just because Monster Train is content complete.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's me and I made a thread on it.

I actively play both, but they're two very different titles.

Monster Train is a blend of Slay the Spire + Tower Defense and is very much a short but highly replayable run type game. It's also a complete game and has 8 player real time MP.

Gordian Quest is a blend of Slay the Spire + Darkest Dungeon (combat style/items) + Path of Exile/FFX (Sphere Grid/Skill Tree) + Dungeons & Dragons (skill check rolls, general Faerun fantasy style) and is very much a long term run game with each act taking ~5-8 hours and there eventually going to be 4 acts for 20-32 hour runs. It has a heavy focus on long term character development and really leans in on RPG mechanics. It's also early access - the quality is extremely high but it's lacking 75% of the total content it will have by launch.

It really depends on what kind of experience you're looking for.

That said I'd generally recommend Monster Train over Gordian if you can only buy one atm just because Monster Train is content complete.

Thank you very much for the detailed write up! I feel I now have a good handle on the similarities/differences between them.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I found this game's equivalent of Slay The Spire's best relic, Snecko Eye. It functions exactly the same in this game: Randomize the cost of all cards to be anywhere form 1-3 embers, draw +3 cards. Having this relic makes picking the +Ember, + stats upgrade a no brainer, since card costs don't matter anymore.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I found this game's equivalent of Slay The Spire's best relic, Snecko Eye. It functions exactly the same in this game: Randomize the cost of all cards to be anywhere form 1-3 embers, draw +3 cards. Having this relic makes picking the +Ember, + stats upgrade a no brainer, since card costs don't matter anymore.

yes as discussed in previous pages, it's by far the best artifact. I won almost all my runs I had it (I finally lost one with it yesterday, but these higher covenents are starting to be a bitch as expected)

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
Minions don't get shuffled back into the deck, that's the only way I can imagine you "losing" cards. That and some cards actually have a debuff called "Consume" and they can only be used once.

Yeah, that particular combo of dude that summons 2 per turn, plus doubler guy, plus the slug singlehandedly won me a run last night.

My slug was like 200x2 by the time boss came around...and I had a duplicate of him too.

The hardest part of umbra runs for me is not losing to random guys getting past my top floor. The bosses are no problem, but I often lose from trickle damage.

Finally got my first Umbra win, working on melting guys now, and they seem realllly cool!

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Well beat the tutorial covenant by flipping it around and doing the Nature as primary this time with fire as backup. Those thorns man.

So now that its done what exactly is card mastery and why should I care?

bigf00t

Jul 9, 2018
Loving this thread, and the shared screenshots of insane combos!

I have to share some of the coolest units/cards I've run into. Some small spoilers for event specific cards.

I had 4 of these and it was insane. One cost, one slot, so I could put all 4 of them on the first floor. I had the double frostbite artifact too. Only thing I would have changed is Multistrike instead of battlestone, since I believe that would double the frostbite applied.

I had 7 blights in my deck when I played him on the final boss for 23x8. So crazy.

2 of these bad boys absolutely wrecked everything.

This guy with the randomizer artifact meant I was able to play him for 0-3 ember. One slot meant I could stack them on the same floor easily.

Sweep multistrike? Hell yeah!

And now for the dirtiest card ever.

I had the X+3 artifact with this, which allowed me to get a minimum of 18 every time I played it. Oh, and did I mention I had 2 of them?

That led to this on the final boss:

419 attack with 50 damage shield lol

Man, I love this game, but my sleep schedule does not...

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I like this game but I'm really struggling with the early decks. The plant race (Awoken?) Is the only one I make any headway with because it's a tank/responsive unit rather than the Umbra Kratos guy (glass cannon) or the imps (glass without the cannon) or the Umbra (even suggested builds use cards I've never seen).

I did complete a run once (with plantshield) but after that the only highlight was one particularly bad run where I kept getting the perks that made thorns more powerful. I was up to 40 damage per thorn. But of course, could never secure more than two thorns in the deck. 😆

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first win with Umbra primary and Awoken secondary tonight. It was straight up ridiculous by the end. I only had one of the copy morsels unit and one of the summon morsels units from Umbra. I got the artifact that triggers Gorge effects twice, and my champion was just straight down the gorge effect line. I was gaining nearly 100 attack and 50 heath a turn from the gorge effects alone. I also had the Give a unit Rage and Multistrike card. I dealt over 2k a hit to the final boss.

I only bought a total of two Awoken units, too. I got the unit with multistrike but only three health early, powered her up to have Quick and extra damage and got the event where you can make five copies of a card all on the same path. Then duplicated it one more for good measure. They tore shit up, too.

SmokinDan

Oct 27, 2017
I like this game but I'm really struggling with the early decks. The plant race (Awoken?) Is the only one I make any headway with because it's a tank/responsive unit rather than the Umbra Kratos guy (glass cannon) or the imps (glass without the cannon) or the Umbra (even suggested builds use cards I've never seen).

I did complete a run once (with plantshield) but after that the only highlight was one particularly bad run where I kept getting the perks that made thorns more powerful. I was up to 40 damage per thorn. But of course, could never secure more than two thorns in the deck. 😆

Just keep plugging away. You need to reach certain levels for each clan to get the cards you aren't seeing yet. There's still RNG involved but keep doing what you've been doing and build around synergies.

I find it's best to focus on creature enhancement vs spells in the first instance.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

This works so well especially with the magic champion when he just reduces magic cost to -2 if they are attack spells. You basically just can go all out with magic that way if you have a lot of attack spells.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just tried it out for a little bit. Looks interesting, but the combat moves so fast that it's hard to tell what's happening. Kinda funny that there's options to speed it up further. I want it slower.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Just tried it out for a little bit. Looks interesting, but the combat moves so fast that it's hard to tell what's happening. Kinda funny that there's options to speed it up further. I want it slower.

i cant event play without the max speed anymore lol :p

well middle speed for most of the run, but max speed for the bosses because they are super tanky I CBA to sit there watch them ping pong the floor since you have no actions to do on the bosses.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just had an INSANE run. Killed the final boss before it could even attack.

Had the Dante event, so I had his candles + a deadweight for the covenant rank, and also got the one where I could add 3 deadweights to get +1 attack for each blight. +7 to everyone is nice already, let alone on him.

...but then I get an artifact that doubles a Summon effect, which actually works for him. He had FIFTEEN ATTACKS. I had three copies of him, and on the final boss all three were in my opening hand.

1uHWpwN.png

Jesus. I was able to give the first floor copy Quick so no matter what the wave was, it died and the boss took a lot of splash damage, but any floor was a bombardment.

I had a nice thing going with the Awoken Hollow in the deck too, with a 0 cost Restoration Detonation that had holdover along with the artifact that deals damage based on healing so I was nuking things while making him huge, but the Dante thing just sorta spiraled out of control so he just made a meaty wall for him.

This game is so damn fun.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Covenant 7 and 8 modifiers are such a pain because they add more of each deck's trash cards so you need to do a lot more removal during your run :(

Feb 16, 2018
I'm hooked, so far I've beaten it at least once with every race and now to figure out all the different synergies between them all.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully if the game takes off the devs will continue to update with more bosses, cards, races etc.

Also am I alone in thinking Hornbreaker Prince is the weakest champion?

Seems like a lot of people think that, I also agree. You need a LOT of things to work out well to even get him going, and it usually isn't worth it from what I've seen. Rage multiattack decks have a few abuseable combos and seem the most consistent, but you can find other targets to slap that on that are much easier to keep alive. Plus some enemies like that stealth boss or the buff/debuff final boss variant can really mess that up.

Slay as a keyword feels really clunky to pull off for me, and two of his three variants use it. He's too weak to ever attack first, conflicts with other units that have sweep/quick, etc. There are a lot of units in this game that have high atk/low hp but stand behind beefy units that also can suck with him if he can't get kills going. The region has ways to handle the minions but it's harder for him specifically to actually land those kills.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh wow, this motherfucker is a beast.

GEgqOKX.png

notice the one on the left which is NOT upgraded is 58/8... when it says gain 10 attack Permanently its for the whole run apparently, not just for that fight lol. So you definitely want this with burnout (as I'm about to upgrade the second one to have) and put him out there to die so he keeps coming back stronger and stronger.

Feb 16, 2018
oh wow, this motherfucker is a beast.

GEgqOKX.png

notice the one on the left which is NOT upgraded is 58/8... when it says gain 10 attack Permanently its for the whole run apparently, not just for that fight lol. So you definitely want this with burnout (as I'm about to upgrade the second one to have) and put him out there to die so he keeps coming back stronger and stronger.
Yeah if you can get one of these guys early in your run it becomes an absolute monster towards the end.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if you can get one of these guys early in your run it becomes an absolute monster towards the end.

still lost on floor 7. Had the random cost artifact too... fucking Covenant 9 :(

InfatuatedThoughtfulBagworm-small.gif

by the way, another one of those little things you pick up after playing a lot, Piercing is super important, making that melting blade that gets stronger if it slays a monster for example super good, and ironically, making the helhorned 5dmg direct spell one of the best in the game (ironically because as we all established by now, helhorned is by far the worst deck). Bypassing armor is really good especially when a lot of armored enemies don't have that much health.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am certain they made the later clans better than the early ones because I just unlocked the Melting Remnants and holy wow they're OP as fuck.

Knew I won a run on the 2nd floor when I got the hellvent to copy a card 1 or 5 times and just did the latter option with an upgraded dreg. Now I had multiple buffed units with multistrike that get stronger with every reform. Then with the help of the maid unit that increases burnout on each hit, they can persist longer on boss fights. Just beasted through the whole run.

I'm in love with this game.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Bought this last night, played a few rounds, got my first win. It was against Seraph. I used the green champion red as my backup.

So far, I really like it. Not sure if it's as good as a game as Slay the Spire, but anything that even comes close is absolutely worth buying.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so here's a ADVANCED TIP, you know, because im such a pro? >_>

upgrading a magic card you don't particularly want in your deck with +20 magic and consume is a good way to get rid of it for that battle (trust me, in later covenents when your decks star each run full of common crap removing cards is key).

For example, this run I started with 4 regens... nobody fucking needs 4 regens in the deck. so now 2 of them at least are +22 heal (instead of +2) and just 1 use, so it works both for getting rid of them and also a 22 heal isnt too shabby.

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
so here's a ADVANCED TIP, you know, because im such a pro? >_>

upgrading a magic card you don't particularly want in your deck with +20 magic and consume is a good way to get rid of it for that battle (trust me, in later covenents when your decks star each run full of common crap removing cards is key).

For example, this run I started with 4 regens... nobody fucking needs 4 regens in the deck. so now 2 of them at least are +22 heal (instead of +2) and just 1 use, so it works both for getting rid of them and also a 22 heal isnt too shabby.

Also, the event where you get a similar effect and Purge is a good way to get rid of a card.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the event where you get a similar effect and Purge is a good way to get rid of a card.

very well thought out! great minds etc

speaking of events, that blight card event is actually really good. Sure you get "useless cards" but for example, this one:

QVBfGa6.png

is fantastic, you basically get the 1 mana upgrade for "free" (it gives you 2 blight cards that if you dont cast them do 1 dmg to your core, I mean 1 dmg is nothing tbh, and thats IF you dont cast them, they only cost 1 anyway)

the one that gives you the big nuke blight cards (100 dmg for 3 mana) is probably great if you have the random cost artifact too.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm super glad by people's comments that this is as good as it looks. I can't justify getting it now since I'm currently playing the hell out of Hades (which I got in the EGS sale + $10 discount), haven't had time to play Slay the Spire itself properly, and also just got RAD from Bandai Namco's bundle, but it's cool to know my unending thirst of roguelites will be quenched for quite a while. :D

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
lost a last floor Covenant 9 run because of RNG, feels super bad man :(

last floor, boss with only 431 health left, my drawn hand was...

VDd8bZp.jpg

nothing to res my 170/170 champion... with 2 left in my draw pile as seen here

VhE8XjT.jpg

Molded or Wicked Blaze would have won me the game. Literally screwed by RNG lol. Someone hug me pls.