• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh wow Umbra deck is awesome O_o

k5gHTQX.jpg

249 x 2 dmg on the champion EZ :p

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Just beat my first run. I was insanely overpowered and it was fun as hell. Glad to have found this game so I can sink an unholy amount of hours into it like I did with Slay the Spire.

EYuSOdlWAAMNEm6

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so Umbra champion huh?

C2CQJAn.jpg

lol. Suffice to say this run was a success :p

Last edited:

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Installed the game this morning and played 6 hours straight, OMG!

This game is Slay the Spire + Darkest Dungeons + Into the Breach (thinking turns ahead). It's mindblowing stuff.

After three failed runs, I switched to the green deck as main and managed my first win.

I just closed Steam but I can't wait to play more later.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have to say I find it hard to resist the temptation to turn on trials, often to my detriment.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
For anyone asking about a Switch port, here is a response they gave.

From the positive reception and the buzz around the game, it seems like a Switch port is likely.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the more I play the more I am impressed with the game's design, everything seems very well thought out. The floor system for example doesnt play the same for all the decks, Umbra's champion clearly wants to be in the top floor from the start (in my opinion of course), feeding as much as possible so he's stronger later. Meanwhile, the green champion is more of a wall so he's worked great for me in the first floor with some damage behind it keeping those first few waves at bay.

cool shit tbh.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
slay the spire is incredible - easily one of the greatest games ive ever played.

going to pick MT up after i beat doom eternal, which will hopefully be today or tomorrow.

edit: quick question - does MT have controller support?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
First run, only made it to ring five. However, from what I played, I really enjoyed it. This is definitely a keeper.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017

From the positive reception and the buzz around the game, it seems like a Switch port is likely.

I see something like this having visibility issues on portable like Darkest Dungeon. Hell I've played it on my TV and my monitor and I prefer the latter.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Ok, playing it and... I don't know.

I mean, it is clearly a fine game. Yet... it works worse than Slay the Spire. The three-level battlefield does not work that well and the fact that monster cards do not come back makes some battles a luckfest.

It is very well-done in terms of artwork, yet its basic game design somehow does not work extremely well.

Oct 25, 2017
I have ten hours in it already? But I just bought it yesterday...

Amazingly enjoyable game that eases you in and let's you make what you want of it. I love how the summoning and buffing of creatures adds to the experience.

Had to make myself take a break and play something else for a bit, but I come here to post about it instead.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it is clearly a fine game. Yet... it works worse than Slay the Spire. The three-level battlefield does not work that well and the fact that monster cards do not come back makes some battles a luckfest.

It is very well-done in terms of artwork, yet its basic game design somehow does not work extremely well.

Could you expand on what you mean by the multi leveled field "not working well"? I'm also not sure what you mean by monster cards not coming back making it a "luckfest". You have total control over where you spawn your monsters, it seems no more random than any other game of this type.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

design wise is literally the best thing about the game. Anyway to each it's own and all that...

edit: fuuuuuuuuuuuuck literally just needed my champion to last 1 more turn to finally beat a covenent 2, just needed to have 4 more health lol ;_; welp at least I unlocked the 5th clan now.

Last edited:

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

Oh boy. I want that so bad.
Thanks for sharing.
I do mean Defect, cheers. What I mean when I say RNG means there isnt much strategy is that you generally cant say to yourself before a run "I will build Deck X", you have to see what you get and adapt to it, that adaption can certainly give you a deck that performs consistently but you cant consistently build the same deck across runs so I'd say the games more tactical than strategic, but as I said that may just be semantics.
But that's the entire point of a deck builder.
If one go in a run thinking "I'm going to build..." it's just like playing the wrong game I believe. Or you only play custom runs, choosing cards at the beginning.

It seems like you're don't like the whole genre, which would be fine.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Covenant 3, up we go :p

5th deck is interesting, I really like the gimmicks of the decks tbh.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's the entire point of a deck builder.
If one go in a run thinking "I'm going to build..." it's just like playing the wrong game I believe. Or you only play custom runs, choosing cards at the beginning.

It seems like you're don't like the whole genre, which would be fine.

Yes, I'm aware its the entire point of deck building which is why I said in the post that you initially responded to that I considered deck builders+roguelikes to be more tactical than strategic. Which apparently you werent clear on (or I didnt make my point well) so I clarified, very badly it seems as for some reason you read it as scathing criticism even though I never once mentioned anything negative nor indicated any kind of preference. I'm a huge fan of deckbuilders both cardboard (from Dominion on) and their recent upsurge in computer representation. I've zero interest in clarifying my position for a third time, just put it down to my poor communication skills but I'm done with this tangent.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, I'm aware its the entire point of deck building which is why I said in the post that you initially responded to that I considered deck builders+roguelikes to be more tactical than strategic. Which apparently you werent clear on (or I didnt make my point well) so I clarified, very badly it seems as for some reason you read it as scathing criticism even though I never once mentioned anything negative nor indicated any kind of preference. I'm a huge fan of deckbuilders both cardboard (from Dominion on) and their recent upsurge in computer representation. I've zero interest in clarifying my position for a third time, just put it down to my poor communication skills but I'm done with this tangent.
Don't worry, you're looking a bit too far into my answers.
It just seem a bit vague (to me) so I wondered if I could understand better, because for some reason I don't like not understanding things ha ha.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Four hours later and I finally got my first win. I just spammed Animus of Will with three upgrades. lol

DA59724CD3C702212D7F5342A971CCA1BC3D8087

Jan 4, 2018
Did a run with Umbra + Melting Remnant and got an artifact that gave me gold on unit death. Long story short, fat stacks of gold.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I feel like buying this would be mistake if it's as addicting as StS. I can easily drown my whole days into it in an instant.

Thanks for bringing it up anyway!

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, first time I've heard of this. Thanks for the heads up.

Slay the spire didn't much for me because the art style wasn't up my alley but this looks fantastic.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So let me talk about what this game does better than Slay the Spire (for me). There are two major frustrating parts of Slay the Spire. The first is the RNG. A single bad hand can screw your entire run in StS. Apart from that, there's RNG in shops you can't control, RNG in events, and so on. Monster Train has RNG as well, but you get to control the RNG. Don't like shop items? Reroll. Got a bad hand? You still have your units in the train, so you should be fine unless you screwed up multiple turns. Event options clearly tell you what rewards you'll get by choosing them.
And when choosing a path, you get an idea of the rewards that lie on that path. In Slay the Spire, choosing a path tells you very little. You have no idea what hides behind the question marks( could be a random event, could be an enemy encounter, could be a shop) or what elite may lie on your chosen path.

StS needs a high level of RNG as without that runs will become boring. That's because StS, while a fantastic game, is a one trick pony. Monster Train has multiple levels of layered complexity, allowing you to have fun and varied runs even with control over the RNG.

The second issue I found with StS was that Act 1 was massively boring. The default cards are trash, the enemies always the same, and the gameplay repetitive. Monster Train solves this in a few ways. Firstly, the faction combinations mean that there's a LOT of starting variety. Second, the game has a reward/shop screen after every battle to help you shape your deck. In fact, you get to choose an upgrade for your champion even before the first battle. And the battles (and enemy mutations) are randomized, so the first battle is rarely against the same opponent.

What this means is that the start of the game never feels repetitive.

All in all, I think Monster Train is a fantastic game. Sure, it stands on the shoulders of giants, but that allows it to reach higher.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
OP I blame you for my low productivity this weekend. This game is amazing. I've completed 2 two runs so far.

Any tips using the water tribe? I'm not sure how to position its champion.

chris-013

Mar 4, 2018
Crazy good game ! Just did a run with Stygian/Hellhorned : sap + spell weakness + incant armor + double armor buff
I did a 2380 on the last boss :D (33 spell weakness stack with 70 damage spell card).

OP I blame you for my low productivity this weekend. This game is amazing. I've completed 2 two runs so far.

Any tips using the water tribe? I'm not sure how to position its champion.

First floor behind tanks with sweep and spell weakness worked well for me. He died each time against the bosses but he applied enough spell weakness to one shot the boss after with a spell. Only againt the boss before the last he survived because silence is so powerful against him (he stays at 5 damage), he didn't even pass my tanks/dps with huge armor buff.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I just started slay the spire 3 days ago and am hooked. I'll probably try this when I get burned out on that.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
First floor behind tanks with sweep and spell weakness worked well for me. He died each time against the bosses but he applied enough spell weakness to one shot the boss after with a spell. Only againt the boss before the last he survived because silence is so powerful against him (he stays at 5 damage), he didn't even pass my tanks/dps with huge armor buff.
That was my strategy too, but the boss that buffs himself each time he is attacked destroyed me.
I'll try playing around with the subtribes.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found it hard to get good mileage out of spell weakness. Running a lot frostbite seemed to work well for me. Green seems like a solid subtribe for Blue or at least has more obvious synergies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I found it hard to get good mileage out of spell weakness. Running a lot frostbite seemed to work well for me. Green seems like a solid subtribe for Blue or at least has more obvious synergies.

cant call it blue anymore because... the 5th faction is also blue. I know, it messed me up too damn it, now I dont know what to call them lol.

5th faction is actually awesome, got my cov2 win with umbra / melting, but I did some cov3's with melting main and got to the last boss. The champion is really interesting because it has 2 very distinct upgrade paths. You either make him a ressurect machine to go with the ressurect gimmick of the clan, and I guess you try to keep him safe on the top floor because his ressurects trigger on any floor, but you can also making him a huge tanking monster (at the third upgrade he's 150/150) but he has burnout so you have to constanly upkeep his burnout (one of my last boss cov3 runs I had him on the bottom floor with one of those ladies that buffs everyone with burnout if she hets damaged in front of him for example).

Again, neat shit. The game is VERY "combo" based clearly inspired by MTG and shit.

Last edited:

chris-013

Mar 4, 2018
That was my strategy too, but the boss that buffs himself each time he is attacked destroyed me.
I'll try playing around with the subtribes.
Yeah, without the card to silence this boss, I don't think you can beat him with this build. Silence is also very strong against enemies which give you a debuff -1 ember for each target attacked.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game earlier since I've been hearing so much about it since launch and it's super good. I really like the three tier structure and the potential that opens up for comboes between units. Also nice having less fights in a run but each being longer since a decent amount of deck based roguelikes usually are the opposite.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So let me talk about what this game does better than Slay the Spire (for me). There are two major frustrating parts of Slay the Spire. The first is the RNG. A single bad hand can screw your entire run in StS. Apart from that, there's RNG in shops you can't control, RNG in events, and so on. Monster Train has RNG as well, but you get to control the RNG. Don't like shop items? Reroll. Got a bad hand? You still have your units in the train, so you should be fine unless you screwed up multiple turns. Event options clearly tell you what rewards you'll get by choosing them.
And when choosing a path, you get an idea of the rewards that lie on that path. In Slay the Spire, choosing a path tells you very little. You have no idea what hides behind the question marks( could be a random event, could be an enemy encounter, could be a shop) or what elite may lie on your chosen path.

StS needs a high level of RNG as without that runs will become boring. That's because StS, while a fantastic game, is a one trick pony. Monster Train has multiple levels of layered complexity, allowing you to have fun and varied runs even with control over the RNG.

The second issue I found with StS was that Act 1 was massively boring. The default cards are trash, the enemies always the same, and the gameplay repetitive. Monster Train solves this in a few ways. Firstly, the faction combinations mean that there's a LOT of starting variety. Second, the game has a reward/shop screen after every battle to help you shape your deck. In fact, you get to choose an upgrade for your champion even before the first battle. And the battles (and enemy mutations) are randomized, so the first battle is rarely against the same opponent.

What this means is that the start of the game never feels repetitive.

All in all, I think Monster Train is a fantastic game. Sure, it stands on the shoulders of giants, but that allows it to reach higher.
Great write up, you sold me on the game.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
1c4f453ad75c5c1cbd518a06ea4ab5f0.png

Got this guy from an event, boosted him up 3x (artifact) with damage. Then managed to duplicate him twice so I could put him on each floor.
Easiest run of my life, 6x Multistrike with 50 damage each, then I fed him morsels to make him even more OP.

I love how ridiculous card combos can get.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Got the artifact that makes every card you have in your hand cost 0 if they cost less than a card you played already. Proceeded to steam roll the game as the starting healing race.

This game is interesting in that you can combine cards from different decks.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
1c4f453ad75c5c1cbd518a06ea4ab5f0.png

Got this guy from an event, boosted him up 3x (artifact) with damage. Then managed to duplicate him twice so I could put him on each floor.
Easiest run of my life, 6x Multistrike with 50 damage each, then I fed him morsels to make him even more OP.

I love how ridiculous card combos can get.

yup had him once myself

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Cov 3 is kicking my ass >_<

edit: nvm :p

Melting / Awoken super beefy bottom floor deck, with the Melting 150/150 burnout champion and a few other beefy burnouts. Curious note, every time I get the artifact that makes your cards random cost between 0 and 3 (and makes you draw +3) I always won the run, it's probably the best artifact in the game even if its super RNG. This was the final deck:

monstertrain://runresult/4cd90acf-2bee-4a04-8e22-d0c4e14e355b

Also I'm afraid the game might be too "beef" dependant, I'm not sure yet. I mean this is still covenant 3/25 (well 4 now) and on the 7th and 8th floor, the 8th in particular, you get rows of enemies with 160 health, you barely kill 1 before the rest goes up, and with that much health, if they get up there they will wittle down the core fast because even with low attack they can absorb so much dmg.

Last edited:

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Steam showed me this, watched about 5 mins on Twitch, then immediately got it. Almost won my first run, but won my second by using the 4 cost Demon with Quick and Multistrike, but being pulled by Channel Song giving me a 2x 70 atk monster with 4 health that cost 0 and attacks before other enemies. Duplicated it, and channel song, last boss didn't even get through my 1st unit!

I am guessing the difficulty will increase as you go up in Cov ranks, but so fun at the moment. I actually like it better than Slay the Spire so far

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant quite seem to finish off the final boss on Cov 3. Am I missing it or is there no way to share a seed of a particular run?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
meh you dont even get xp from the daily challenge (lost on floor 7, its pretty hard especially the limited mana pool)

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Umbras gimmick is really fun. The main+sub-faction is a nice touch as the combos feel distinct enough.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
WOW, fucked up my Cov 4 run on the final floor because I misplaced my champion, middle floor instead of top, was a umbra fatten him up deck, he needs to be on the top floor getting fat while the rest dwindle down the forces and delay...super bummed out lol, I think that was a win too ffs.

I even had a sweep guy (hits everyone) with 13 dmg and quick (attacks first) on the bottom floor, and this floor always had 2 of those multistrike guys with low health so they always died without doing anything fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

:(