• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So this game released today, and I knew approximately nothing about it until I saw it in the Steam new releases.

Oh boy! Another deck-building roguelike!

Don't get me wrong. I love them. There are just so many now, and a number really don't do anything original. But the number of positive reviews on this was really high. Yeah, a number of "I got it early" and "I got it free" ones, but lots of them had hundreds of hours. And these weren't just, "Great game! A++++" reviews either. Some well written reviews among them for sure.

Ok, sure, $20 launch price. I'll give it a go-oh my God where did the past four hours go?

This game is legit. It does quite a bit to differentiate itself from StS. First, you aren't a singular character. There are five different factions of demons (oh right the story is that your train contains the last piece of the pyre that kept the fires of hell going and hell has frozen over and the angels will stop at nothing to destroy the final piece of the pyre) and you choose a primary faction and a secondary faction for each run. The primary faction dictates your champion, but the creatures you put in play don't end with the champion.

You see, if anything, Monster Train is part deck-builder, part tower defense. The train, which is the playing board, is four levels. Enemies enter on the bottom, and each round they attack, then move up a level. The fourth floor houses the pyre. If it gets destroyed, your run is over. In the first three levels, you're able to put monsters in play to attack the enemies as they move up the train. The order of placement matters, as damage is dealt from front to back from both sides.

I won't get into any more minutiae, but will say there are upgrades along the way, adding new cards, relics, and meta-progression here, as one might expect.

I've honestly not played enough to complete a run, or to know what the longevity is like, but so far it seems like $20 very well spent.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Downloading new. Looks like a lovechild between Slay the Spire and Steamworld Quest.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This sounds great. A few questions-

I have a love/hate relationship with Slay the Spire. My main issue with the game is how repetitive the first act is (due to starting with the same boring basic deck every time). The art and music also leave something to be desired.

How does this game fare in those areas?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I liked Slay the Spire but now when i try to play it gives me 25% of the screen, mouse position isn't actual and I get an error as a button prompt.

Jan 4, 2018
I've put over 200 hours into Slay the Spire and just bought Monster Train in the morning. I already have 10 hours, I'm loving it.

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds great. A few questions-

I have a love/hate relationship with Slay the Spire. My main issue with the game is how repetitive the first act is (due to starting with the same boring basic deck every time). The art and music also leave something to be desired.

How does this game fare in those areas?

Being that I've only done a few run attempts, I don't have a great gauge on that in its entirety. What I will say, though, is that each run has felt different, and choosing from just the two starting factions you have unlocked in terms of which is the primary and which is secondary helps with that quite a bit. I can only image what it'll be like once I've unlocked all five factions.

Edit: You also have far more opportunities to cull from your deck than you do in StS, too.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Being that I've only done a few run attempts, I don't have a great gauge on that in its entirety. What I will say, though, is that each run has felt different, and choosing from just the two starting factions you have unlocked in terms of which is the primary and which is secondary helps with that quite a bit. I can only image what it'll be like once I've unlocked all five factions.

Edit: You also have far more opportunities to cull from your deck than you do in StS, too.
Thanks. I'll get a copy. Fingers crossed. :D

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't encountered that yet, so maaaaaybe?
maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like yes.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Alright well I have some sense of what the game is about, but why should I play it? What does it do particularly well?

For example, I've played a roguelike called Unexplored that has level generation I haven't seen before. It tends to build floors in cycles, where as you progress down a path you find yourself back where you started or at a familiar intersection, but having accomplished something. It might be finding a key, or hitting a switch that deactivated traps, or collecting items to help you beat a tough enemy ahead, or noting a clue to a puzzle, etc. It also generates the dungeon itself with this kind of thing in mind, such that on one floor you can find a clue to a puzzle on another floor, or be blocked by a floor full of poison only to find a ring of poison resistance in a side branch of the dungeon. It makes for a really satisfying and unique experience that's surprisingly close to playing a game with hand-crafted levels. It's just too bad on my PC the game crashes somewhat frequently.

Another one I just played recently was One Step from Eden, which is a roguelite with battles that are like Mega Man Battle Network on crack cocaine, to the point where people were refunding the game because they couldn't keep up with how crazy the game gets once they're deep into a run. I'm pretty sure this is the only commercial game out there with combat like MMBN, and that series itself hasn't seen a release in 10+ years.

So I guess I'm looking for something like that. I feel like tower defense and deckbuilding roguelikes are a dime a dozen these days, as you said, so what's the hook?

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
This looks fantastic, and only a recent renewed interest in Bloodborne is keeping me from snapping it up.

Have the devs mentioned anything about additional content in the days ahead?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This is great, going into my wishlist. Recently played Neoverse due to Humble Choice and am surprisingly hooked. Same mechanisms with a few layers on top, though in a weirder package.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this so I just watched Nothernlion play a run. Damn this looks like my jam. I love Slay the Spire so I'm down for more card battling.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Bought it. Downloading now. I'm downloading on a shitty mobile connection with a data cap, so will post first impressions in about five years time. Cheers.

Oct 25, 2017
Came for the Monster Train and learned about Griftlands too. $4.99 for Griftlands after the 10$ coupon is applied on EGS with a free Steam key on release is too good to pass up. Thanks Shodan14 for the heads up!

An extra 10% off on Monster train for owning StS is making me hover right over "Add to cart" for Monster Train as well. But, I just got Gordian Quest earlier this month and still have some Neoverse to unlock... My brain is saying that Gordian Quest and Griftlands are still Early Access, so I can let them sit a bit longer and let them marinade until release.

Good thing I still have some cash left in my gaming budget this month that I haven't spent on Switch games.

Thanks to you both, Shodan14 and piratepwnsninja for the suggestions!

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really interesting, I'll check it out.

These kinda games need Switch ports, pronto. I love them but for some reason just don't play them much unless they're portable.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Definitely gonna follow that hoping it gets ported.

Seems very interesting indeed.
I found a video that shows the game well with nice explanations :

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been Seing Northernlion and Rhapsody play it, and it does look pretty darn great.

Here's what I believe is the release trailer as well?

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played a couple of levels, but it iterates nicely on the Deckbuilder concept. I'm absolutely enjoying it and looking forward to enjoying more.

Kratos dude is definitely still in there.

I found a nice Stream that has the Devs of Monster Train chatting with a StS dev as well and they discuss the concepts they use and thoughts behind the game designs.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I love the upgrading system - this guy started out as 50/50 with 3 capacity.

unknown.png

*edit* I love duplication even more!

unknown.png

Last edited:

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I have 515 hours in Slay the Spire. Now I'm watching videos for a lot of games you are suggesting. Don't do this to me, guys. I'm weak.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to the final boss on my first run but lost with him having 200hp remaining.

Learnt a lot though and had a blast.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I am familiar with deck-building games like DC deckbuilder and the like but never played one on PC. Is there a youtube channel one would recommend to watch to see if the game is for me?

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Hmm....a bit too pricey for me. There was something special about Slay the Spire. It was my first card based battle game and I thought wow, where have these games been all my life. I love card based battle games. And then I downloaded a highly rated one on my phone (can't recall the name) and I didn't care for it. And then I tried Steamworld Quest, and I couldn't get past the first hour. So I"m really hesitant to drop $20+ on a game that I may like. Hopefully it comes to Game Pass.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thanks for pointing me at this, OP. I saw it pop up in the Steam store and I just shrugged, but watching those videos ... yeah, it looks right up my alley. For $20, I'm in.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
NorthernLion has been playing this for a week now because he got a pre release copy ahead of its launch to play. It seems really good and hits the STS and tower defense itch that no one knew they wanted.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Do you build the deck as you go, or do you build the deck prior to the run? I've realized over time that one of the big reasons I like Slay the Spire and not other card games is because I don't have to stress about building a deck before a run and am limited to what I find during it.

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I was eyeing this on Steam yesterday and it looks pretty great. nearing the 100 hour mark in StS so I'm down for this. I'd forgotten about Griftlands as well so might bite on that with the Epic coupon.