• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guess the tomatometer!

• 100-90%

Votes: 72 16.1%
  • 89-80%

Votes: 157 35.0%
  • 79-70%

Votes: 123 27.5%
  • 69-60%

Votes: 57 12.7%
  • 59-50%

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • 49-40%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 39-0%

Votes: 14 3.1%

• Total voters

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
With positive intent people want some of the sequels and spin-offs to flop so Pixar can work on more original offerings. But if that happens it'll probably just end up a studio to render hair for live action Disney remakes.

*Looks at the last three Pixar projects. Looks at the Pixar Project after this*

Do people just forget that original offerings regularly get made the second they see an IP returning? Those clearly aren't stopping. Everyone can relax. This keeps being a worry every few years despite how Pixar has been operating.

Or is this just loathing the idea of Pixar making any sequel?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Disney bad
Pixar good

Except this Pixar.
Because there are toys.

And where's my Red Panda toy, btw?

Everyone keeping up?

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
With positive intent people want some of the sequels and spin-offs to flop so Pixar can work on more original offerings. But if that happens it'll probably just end up a studio to render hair for live action Disney remakes.

They just did four straight original movies and Elemental is next (and people don't think it's original enough). It's bad timing and it sucks that they almost all came out during the pandemic and Disney relegated them to streaming, but it feels like as a studio Pixar needs a hit In theatres and Lightyear is their best bet.

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the near-meltdowns on the first page and then opening the RT page to see the movie at 84% was certainly a ride.

Oct 28, 2017
taking my son to see this in D Box seats, which are supposed to move around in sync with the movie. we're both super excited about that, so i'm fine if this isn't as good as the usual pixar output

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
So is the idea that this is the Buzz Lightyear movie that Andy watched in theaters and thus wanted the Buzz Lightyear action figure? So we're watching, theoretically, the same film that Andy watched as a kid?

Either way, Tim Allen IS Buzz for me, and even if there is a decent way to explain a different voice actor/different character, I don't care - my interest is at like, rock bottom if only for that one reason.

Toy Story is in my Top Five movies of all time, and part of that is the absolutely *perfect* voice casting across the board.
Tim Allen has just become too problematic for me to enjoy him anymore. I like Chris Evens for the tone that they seem to be going for in this movie. If they were actually toys, I probably would prefer a more Tim Allen like voice.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I still am. But also kinda shocked that this is the RT score after all of the early twitter buzz. I thought it was going to be like 95%+ based on all of the hype on the initial twitter impressions.

Early social media reactions are a point of contention here, but in my experience they're a better indicator as to whether a movie will be bad rather than if it'll be good.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the trailers looked pretty solid.

Tonally, it reminded me a bit of Wall-E with the melancholy of space and the deeper themes in a family-friendly presentation. I could see it being divisive, but I'd be surprised if it was just outright bad.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Turning Red felt like a massive return to form for Pixar and probably top 5 for me in terms of their films. I realize Lightyear was developed alongside it, but I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't seem to have continued that streak. I thought the idea behind the movie was interesting on reveal and was wondering if it was trying to be a bit more of a "grounded" film, but admittedly the next trailers didn't particularly sell me with their imagery.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
Does anyone else find the art direction strangely off-putting?

Like, those two characters on either side of Buzz on the poster have these giant, crazy pseudo-anime eyes, and it's kind of weird.

Buzz and the cat look like they were imported from two other different movies.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Either way, Tim Allen IS Buzz for me, and even if there is a decent way to explain a different voice actor/different character, I don't care - my interest is at like, rock bottom if only for that one reason.

Chris Evans is the movie star.

Tim Allen is the cheap sound-alike they got for the toy voice box.

It makes perfect sense.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from a Wednesday night session here in AUS. Saw the average reviews prior to buying tickets, gotta say I agree - not bad, but very ho-hum. 7 is good number to place on this one, very mid-tier Pixar. Safe is probably the single best adjective for the film.

Still an enjoyable film though, no regrets having seen it at the flicks on the big screen. Phenomenal cinematography, Chris Evans is a great cast as Buzz and gives it 110%, the story has a few twists and and there's more than a few surprises and call backs for fans of the character in the franchise.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it tonight with a packed house of all sorts of different demos and my theater was super into the movie. Lots of laughs and cheers. At the end it got approval I wasn't expecting from the Calibama audience given some of the story's "inappropriate" content.

I loved every moment of the movie. There are so many nods to sci-fi movies it's insane. I don't normally go out for Pixar movies and I made an exception, one I was very happy with making.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Honestly I didn't even bother checking for reviews.. didn't even think for a second it would have such a low imdb score

Tickets booked. Watching it in 15 mins lol

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Without spoiling the movie, it's fairly obvious why it has such low IMDB reviews, mostly cause it's "woke"

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the early 2000's cartoon Buzz Lightyear of Star Command remains the best version of the in-universe Buzz Lightyear story.

Hope it finally gets a D+ release soon...

MV5BYjExNWVlY2ItMWZiNi00NmJmLWE3NWUtYjU5YmQ1NWNiM2Y1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk1MjAxNzQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
I still think the robot cat was a mistake because he is never used as a toy in the andy universe which is INCREDIBLY strange. Like is one of those things i know old pixar would have overthought and not put it in because it fucks up with the inuniverse they created (and i dont even mean the cartoon, but just how a buzz movie would actually work on the main toy story universe) and wouldnt make sense, no matter how somone in the team thought how funny the character was in the storyboards phase.

That and non of the trailers never feeling is the actual movie andy watched in his universe in the year it should have released. Because if what have been cool as fucj if they actually had made and 80'-90s sci fi style movie visually.

And using the actor of buzz in interviews and things like that in the teasers of the movie.

It really seems they just wanted to do a straight 2010 sci fi type movie and thats it, and i think thats a pity.

May 14, 2021
"Movie they didn't ask for" literally describes every movie I've ever seen. I dont ask for movies, as I am not the head of a movie studio. I just watch them when they come out.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
This was super fun. Me and the kiddos really enjoyed it.

Felt like Interstellar Lite.

Arde5643

May 3, 2022
I'm miffed that it's not coming to Indo because Indons can't get their jimmies rustled by anything LGBT.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I still think the robot cat was a mistake because he is never used as a toy in the andy universe which is INCREDIBLY strange. Like is one of those things i know old pixar would have overthought and not put it in because it fucks up with the inuniverse they created (and i dont even mean the cartoon, but just how a buzz movie would actually work on the main toy story universe) and wouldnt make sense, no matter how somone in the team thought how funny the character was in the storyboards phase.

The director says Andy doesn't have Sox because it was sold out everywhere due to popularity.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
"Movie they didn't ask for" literally describes every movie I've ever seen. I dont ask for movies, as I am not the head of a movie studio. I just watch them when they come out.
"Soulless movie" was the most important part of that sentence. I agree that most of these big corporate movies don't need to be asked for, they just need to deliver at the BO.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
They should've said this was the live action movie that the Buzz Lightyear cartoon was based off which produced the Buzz Lightyear toy that Andy has.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The director says Andy doesn't have Sox because it was sold out everywhere due to popularity.

I mean, this does make sense, considering the cat would obviously be the best seller.

I'm sure I'll like it when I watch it, but it does still feel like a bit of a missed opportunity given how cool the concept itself is.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Eh... it covers maybe the first film. It gets stretched a bit more when you think the second film features a collector, the third film features a daycare many years later, and the 4th film has the lost toys.

An explanation could be made, but it's certainly something that could be a stretch.

Maybe there was a recall or something.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I liked this more than I expected. Toy Story references were great but subdued and I vibed with the sci-fi parts hard.