• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
You guys are thinking way too much about it. Pete Docter said Lightyear is the movie that the Buzz Lightyear the toy franchise is based off of.

Basically this is Star Command: the movie. It's going to be interesting seeing Pixar do a sci-fi epic.

Exactly what I thought. I'm confused why it's being called a prequel or "real life incarnation of Buzz".

I mean I hope that's the case. It was basically a dope Star Wars + 007 Goldeneye esque movie.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So if there is a real Buzz Lightyear, this means there's like a real Zurg as well right?

DBTS-136_7_650x.jpg

Assuming the toy didn't make his backstory up (Which I wouldn't be surprised if the toy made some of this up, but I feel if they did, the Lightyear estate would have been pretty sue-happy on misrepresenting Buzz Lightyear) all this had to have happened right? There being an actual Space Rangers corp and a real Evil Emperor Zurg.

I guess the question here is, who are we getting to play Zurg, do we get James Earl Jones? That would be amusing.
No way. It's gonna be a grounded movie. I'm thinking it will be something about the first human to travel FTL or something. It's pretty obvious they're going for something like that.

I don't think it will anything like Star Wars.

It seems more like Contact than Star Wars.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Disney still produces Tim Allen's show Last Man Standing, this recasting isn't because they don't want to work with him.
I would guess it's due to a younger character that they see several movies making. Chris is talented as well, already part of MCU, and has enough buzz to put some seats in.

Maybe it is political, but I'm guessing not.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even setting everything else aside- Allen was sounding VERY old by the time he was recording Toy Story 4. I can't see his voice as it currently is fitting this project at all.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this will end with the real buzz being shown some test product toys and saying something like "does my voice really sound like that?!"

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait this isn't gonna be Buzz Lightyear Star Command? Ah damn that sucks. I would've preferred a full film with that cast

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They better not retcon the star command series. Lasseter apparently hates it but i thought it was a really fun take

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
then someone says its about a real astronaut from the toy story universe, which makes little sense with how the toy story universe works.
You mean the universe where toys are actually alive? Star Command and aliens makes no sense in a universe where toys can come to life when people aren't looking?

We know next to nothing about the actual world of Toy Story outside of what the toys know and what is needed as a backdrop for their adventures. Jesse appears at the end of Monster's Inc so aside from having magical living toys their universe also has doorways to the monster world. Lotso is seen in a girl's room in UP so we know there are giant dinosaur birds and talking dogs too. Pizza Planet Truck and several of the toys show up in Wall-E so eventually the world has super advanced robots and intergalactic travel; Buzz could be the world's first step on that path.

(I don't think that Buzz is based on a real human and there are aliens in the TS world, Chris Evans clearly got his wires crossed and hopefully he'll correct himself, I just think it's silly to rule them out when we're talking about a world with living toys in it ;p)

And yeah the OP should definitely be updated if it hasn't been already

Wait this isn't gonna be Buzz Lightyear Star Command? Ah damn that sucks. I would've preferred a full film with that cast
We honestly don't know, the only thing confirmed is that it's the blockbuster sci-fi movie that spawned the Buzz Lightyear toy craze, so there could totally be aliens and Star Command etc in there but I don't think it'll follow any of the plot or characters from the show

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
No way. It's gonna be a grounded movie. I'm thinking it will be something about the first human to travel FTL or something. It's pretty obvious they're going for something like that.

I don't think it will anything like Star Wars.

It seems more like Contact than Star Wars.

I agree. Though I wonder how Pixar are going to differentiate this movie from Wall-E in terms of space exploration?

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like people are getting confused here. There is no 'real' Buzz Lightyear in the Toy Story universe. Buzz the toy is based on a character from an in-universe movie (and tv-series I guess). This is Pixar making that movie.

Oct 25, 2017
The voice change makes sense even in-universe because it'd make sense the toy is not voiced by the actor himself.

Seems like the tone will be more Star Command than First Man but it'd be hilarious if the Buzz toy was based off a serious astronaut drama that took off with children inexplicably

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused. I thought Buzz was based off of the cartoon. Is the cartoon based off of an "in universe" astronaut? When did they establish that?

This makes more sense to me. However it makes the voice change not really make sense, since the toy would presumably use audio clips or recordings from the movie that it's based off of.
Not if the Toy is based off the cartoon adaptation of the Blockbuster movie

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Buzz a younger Buzz though? He's a toy based on a Saturday morning cartoon character. The stock voice lines in the toy are presumably just audio clips from the show, so even an explanation that Allen is toy Buzz and Evans is TV Buzz doesn't fly with me. I vote NAY!
They couldn't get Buzz's real VA to voice the lines for the toy so they got a sound alike.

There.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't get Buzz's real VA to voice the lines for the toy so they got a sound alike.

There.
The more likely is that Buzzlightyear is like Ghostbusters, where the cartoon adaptation is more oclourful and devoid of the original casts' voices

There was a movie that was a bit more mature (not like full adult like GB but more mature), then there was cartoon adaptation for kids, that cartoon adaptation spawned toys, and so "Tim Allen" is who was hired to take over the role of Buzz Lightyear in the cartoon because "Chris Evans" was too big of a star to do it

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly I'm all for this. I really really love the concept of an origin story for the real Buzz Lightyear.

Never would have thought of doing something like this. Its already a movie I can't wait to see more of!

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
e6uaUeN.jpg

Pixar said fuck this shit.
That real life Buzz Lightyear better get Gravity'd into space and become a member of Star Command because if Star Wars fans get to have their childhood relentlessly pandered too then the fans of a CGI animated movie spinoff that aired exclusively on Toon Disney deserves the exact same treatment

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm assuming that this is the in-universe fictional movie that the toy was based on, rather than a real in-universe person.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
We all know how the film with end.

Marketing executives developing the toy thinking that Buzz doesn't have the action hero voice needed for the toy.

Tim Allen will cameo recording the lines.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, let me know when there's a nostalgia wave for '50s children TV programming, or the '50s period that isn't coming from MAGA Baby Boomers.
Honestly since pre-Toy Story 3 i've though they should do an animated series in Andy's head.
Basically the Toy Story 3 intro as a lower budget full series(Sheriff Woody, Deputy Buzz, Evil Doctor Porkchop, etc)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
(which could also be a soundalike because it's not uncommon for that to happen with video games - do Hanks and Allen voice Woody and Buzz in KH3?).

I think Teddy Newton voices Mini Buzz in Small Fry and in Star Command it's Patrick Warburton so there's already precedence for him to have different voices across mediums beyond the old shorts and games.

So, Hanks does voice Woody in KH3.

...except it's Jim Hanks, Tom's younger brother. Who apparently voices Woody for video games and such.

Looks like Buzz is... Mike McRae?

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Imma take Chris's words at face value, I think Buzz was an actual great/ famous space dude in their world who was so beloved he got a show based on him and his adventures and that show lead to a toy line.

Nothing about the Toy Story world makes sense, from all toys (even shit slapped together by kids) being alive and playing dead to it's connections to Monsters Inc shit, can't tell me that a real Buzz didn't have an epic adventure in space with where he was the first human to make contact with (and befriend) Aliens.

That alone would be reason enough to make him a movie/ TV star with a toy line and house hold name.