• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm more excited for this film than I have been for any Disney project...maybe ever. It looks fun and the visual style and designs are top fucking notch. I'm all about this and the new bits in this little video just reinforce that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think I'm more excited for this film than I have been for any Disney project...maybe ever. It looks fun and the visual style and designs are too fucking notch. I'm all about this and the new bits in this little video just reinforce that.
WALL-E is one of my favourite Pixar films so Lightyear being their first sci-fi film since is reason enough for me to be excited. And it does look gorgeous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
captain-america.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It looks like it'll be fun, but them selling it as 'the movie Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story was from' really soured me on it, because it just does not exclude '1990s sci-fi action movie' to me and that was the aspect I was most excited about. Also adding my voice to the confusion as to why they seem to be totally ignoring the cartoon, which didn't even need to be actively used since a ton of 90s movies had unrelated toons, but at least give us something.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it'll be fun, but them selling it as 'the movie Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story was from' really soured me on it, because it just does not exclude '1990s sci-fi action movie' to me and that was the aspect I was most excited about. Also adding my voice to the confusion as to why they seem to be totally ignoring the cartoon, which didn't even need to be actively used since a ton of 90s movies had unrelated toons, but at least give us something.
Im glad im not the only one who thinks exactly this.

people are praising this everywhere, but i just see a modern sci fi movie with a funny robot cat and a buzz lightyear skin.

and i think this movie could have been MUCH more.
And i dont even think it should go all in with the animated cartoon we and andy watched (lile you well said), as at the time saturday morning cartoons based on "adult" movies went completely off rails from the sourxe material, but something here and there to understand the process the cartoon creators went with the lightyear movie could have been great.

And i would have loved that some of the trailers were actually stuff like an interview with the actor the movie, instead of just... a trailer. Pixar did this a lot before, the incredibles teaser was great at this.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Im glad im not the only one who thinks exactly this.

people are praising this everywhere, but i just see a modern sci fi movie with a funny robot cat and a buzz lightyear skin.

and i think this movie could have been MUCH more.
And i dont even think it should go all in with the animated cartoon we and andy watched, as at the time saturday morning cartoons based on "adult" movies went completely off rails from the sourxe material, but something here and there to understand the process the cartoon creators went with the lightyear movie could have been great.

And i would have loved that some of the trailers were actually stuff like an interview with the actor the movie, instead of just... a trailer. Pixar did this a lot before, the incredibles teaser was great at this.

If this was an unrelated IP I'd love the cat robot with all my heart, but we'd also have seen toys of it in Toy Story if it existed. Like, I know I'm being annoyed by such weird recursive canon, but the movie we're seeing doesn't look anything like the one we were promised. With all the crazy new animation we've been getting out of stuff like Spider-Verse, can you imagine if they actually tried to make a 90s throwback with somewhat dated CGI monsters/villains and shots that were clearly models? They could have went way more creative with this. I will admit it's also possible we've barely seen a lot of the plot and there's something we're missing.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My mother-in-law warned my wife that there's a GAY KISS in the movie and that we should be careful showing it to the kids.

So obviously, we're taking them opening night.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can find even more avenues for Toy Story content that doesn't involve a fifth numbered film, because this continues to look like something I'll very much enjoy.

I humbly submit a new spinoff called It's Not Easy Being Wheezy. I don't have anything other than the title, but I'm not getting paid so it's fine.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If this was an unrelated IP I'd love the cat robot with all my heart, but we'd also have seen toys of it in Toy Story if it existed. Like, I know I'm being annoyed by such weird recursive canon, but the movie we're seeing doesn't look anything like the one we were promised. With all the crazy new animation we've been getting out of stuff like Spider-Verse, can you imagine if they actually tried to make a 90s throwback with somewhat dated CGI monsters/villains and shots that were clearly models? They could have went way more creative with this. I will admit it's also possible we've barely seen a lot of the plot and there's something we're missing.
Were of 100% of the same mind here. The cat makes absolutely zero sense, because that cat would have been uses as a toy in andys world and is one of the things that would have been saved for the inuniverse cartoon. The pixar of old would have thought about this, but its like the only thing the director want here is make a modern sci fi movie, not the movie that andy watched. It even lools more like if this was a 2015 remake of the movie andy watched, instead of the original.

I really hate that it looks like the martian or interstellar, instead of aliens or starship troopers. As you said, with the animation techniques we have at our disposal, they could have perfectly nailed that 80-90s sci fi movie look, and have things like looked like models, and special effects that didnt look cgi.

Maybe its not like that because its not the movie andy watched or something that we still dont know plotwise, but still that idea was so awesome im sad they are just doing a modern sci fi movie and thats it.

i started to criticise to my gf the trailer hard, and she thought i was crazy and if i knew so much why was not i working for pixar instead lol maybe we are the ones wrong and most people dont give 2 fucks about how interesting the base idea of the actual movie andy watched was, i dunno

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still kinda whatever from the trailers despite visuals, but pixar's been on a roll for me.