• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lightning or Cloud

• Lightning

Votes: 274 19.8%
  • Cloud

Votes: 807 58.3%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 303 21.9%

• Total voters

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shes the second worst character in her games, only better than Hope.

Lets not forget she's complicit in Hope's attempt to murder Snow. Like a goddamn psychopath.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning was a joke. She was a boring copy of cloud with no character development or emotion. Lame lead for a lame entry in the franchise. Christ I'm glad that trilogy is behind us...I won't lie though the music was good.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I want to call bullshit on your thesis, OP, but FF13 was bland enough I've entirely forgotten it and I've never touched the sequels. So it's entirely possible you are right but I will never know it because I strongly disliked the game she was in.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Cloud is a dork and his entire story is the deconstruction of the cool protagonist.

Lightning is just the cool protagonist played straight. The well never goes that deep for Lightning.

Oct 27, 2017
I've kept this to myself for 10 years but no more!

Lightning is a better character all around. She starts off as a big huge jerk but slowly warms up to be a decent human being. Over the course of XIII I see more character development in Lightning than I ever have of Cloud.
Honestly can't tell if this is a troll post.

That's the basic arc of Cloud.... in Disk 1. He then has crazy development in the rest of the game. I mean, if you think Lightning is "cooler" then by all means. But to say she is a more developed character, and your example is only a fraction of Cloud's arc..... that's hilarious.

Cloud is a dork and his entire story is the deconstruction of the cool protagonist.

Lightning is just the cool protagonist played straight. The well never goes that deep for Lightning.
It's really weird/sad that this flies over some people's heads.

It's the whole point of Cloud's character.

It's like saying G Gundam is more thought provoking than NGE, because the fights are cooler (???)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
All I remember from Lightning in XIII is "worst birthday ever" so I can't even pretend to entertain the OP's notion. XIII is not a good game and its story and characters are easily the worst part. If Lightning does indeed have an arc in XIII, it's buried under a mountain of fal'cie/l'cie bullshit.

I only played half of XIII-2 and never made it to Lightning Returns so I dunno, maybe she gets better in the 1.5 games I didn't play. But just like Gran Pulse, for a lot of people that's asking for way too much of your time to see really Lightning is a great character once you play through the start of the trilogy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lightning is shockingly unlikeable and I think her hair looks like she tried to cut it herself while extremely drunk.

Cloud isn't an amazing character, but at least he has more going for him than "is grumpy" and "likes sibling".

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
TBF, that outfit and pose are from FFXIV. That's the starting armor for female miqotes and that's their default /pose animation.

That's just the Miqo'te /pose in FF14. There's a lot Toriyama did, but that was just a FF14 reference.
Are you trying to make a comparison in support of Cloud? If so, this example sucks. That scene is funny as a joke but that's about as far as it goes.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the Mi'Qote attire/pose is just a reference to a different final fantasy game, of which a bunch of her outfits are like that, including a FFVII SOLDIER outfit.
I didn't realize it was a reference to the MMO so i'll concede that knock on Lightning. Still though, she, similar to Cloud, was ruined in each subsequent game. He at the very least wasn't terrible in his debut or CC. If they ever tried to remake 13 so much legwork would be needed to make Lightning not only likeable, but relatable in any way shape or form. Like, the premise of a hardened character softening up as they spend time with their party is so simple and yet they went about it in the most obtuse and unlikeable way possible.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying OG FFVII for the first time in like a decade, and the one thing that stands out to me is that none of the characters seem to speak like people since the English translation is so bad. For that reason, I feel like I can't judge Cloud's character, because I don't feel like I have a good impression on what sort of tone he's supposed to have.

FFVII RE Cloud is pretty bland, though we'll have to see how his personality develops after he remembers who he really is on the 4th disk of the 8th installment of the third trilogy of the remake

Lightning is pretty bland too. But that feels more like a product of her environment rather than an indictment on her character.

Answer is Thor 2

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning is a better character than Cloud IF you consider just the original FFXIII. But the following games don't do her any favours, and you can't just ignore two games when deciding who's better between the two. Not to mention, with the stellar portrayal of Cloud in the FFVII Remake...

I adore FFXIII, but I gotta give it to Cloud.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lightning is a better character than Cloud IF you consider just the original FFXIII. But the following games don't do her any favours, and you can't just ignore two games when deciding who's better between the two. Not to mention, with the stellar portrayal of Cloud in the FFVII Remake...

I adore FFXIII, but I gotta give it to Cloud.
In the first game her entire motivation never makes sense.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The only Lightning I really liked were Lightning Returns Lightning and Dissidia NT Lightning. Especially NT Lightning since she is much kinder with everyone in comparison to Dissidia 012 Lightning.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
God the localization was so fucking poor I never actually got that from the game itself.
Supplementary material can go take a hike for all I care.
Couldn't even finish FFXIII so I'm not even gonna comment on if Lightning is a competent main or not.
Team Layle, at the least guy is having fun.

Lightning starts off really strong but peters out as the whole narrative of FFXIII falls apart as that game progresses. Still, she remains one of the stronger parts of it when all is said and done. FFXIII-2 and LR are complete jokes however in terms of story, and those games do nothing but ruin whatever shreds of integrity XIII had, Lightning included.

The Compilation of FFVII stuff is horrible, but Cloud's story in the original FFVII is so stupendous, memorable, and thought-provoking that it can withstand garbage like Crisis Core and Advent Children.

The plot twist and development of Cloud involving (MEGA FFVII SPOILERS)
him just being a Jenova puppet inside Cloud's body, that then forms itself inaccurately around things it sees/hears (such as Tifa's comments that only half-correctly inform it of Cloud's past) to imitate Cloud rather than legitimately be Cloud, is seriously fascinating and pretty brilliant sci-fi stuff. The development of the Jenova offspring to decide it is still Cloud and will live as him legitimately is a profound and well earned moment in FFVII's story. Lightning has nothing like this in XIII, which is no surprise because the story is so bad it doesn't allow for it.

Whoa there, fellas.

You're getting some things in reverse here. The game does want you to think that at first but then it pulls a reverse Uno on your ass. It's just that the when they explained the reverse UNO in the English version, it wasn't translated well.

The Japanese version makes it more clear that's not the case.

It's actually the Jenova personality that gets melded back into the real Cloud or potentially even dies hence Cloud being a vegetable because that's what Cloud is without the artificial personality. Jenova! Cloud is who we play as for most of the game and is just a puppet a la the Riku Replica from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. It's the real Cloud inside Cloud that Tifa rescues in the Lifestream Sequence. You stop being able to make dialogue choices once the real Cloud comes back because you, the player, were pretty much the Jenova Cells dictating Cloud's personality. The real Cloud is his own character. So rather than Jenova!Cloud deciding to live as Cloud, it's really Cloud growing as a person from Jenova!Cloud's experiences. That might not be as interesting to you guys though.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No one has explained why Lightning is a better character. Saying "Queen" doesn't count.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Lighting is an ok character in a bad series of games,

To be honest I dont even know what she is anymore. Is she a goddess now? Is she immortal? Is her sister alive or dead? Those games are such a clusterfuck of random ideas, I am not even sure they can be called games anymore.

FF13 is basically Lighting cosplaying as Cloud. The games are more interested in showing cool poses in fancy dresses that actually making sense.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I played Ff7 for the first time just before the remake came out, so I don't have any real nostalgia for the game when I can tell you the cloud is great and his personal character arc is, by far, the most compelling thing about 7. Almost made up for how disappoint sephiroth was.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That's a good point. Compilation ruined cloud.

Crisis Core Cloud is a sweet cinnamon bun and I will not let you slander him.
I agree. Also having went out of ff7 remake lately I must say Cloud had zero development compared to Lightning's first game.

Waifu 4ever

So you basically saw what amounts to the 5 hour prologue of FFVII.

Lightning is legitimately hilarious in Lightning Returns. Cloud could never.

tenor.gif

424a692b2ef369c7e6d897b3befc0a50099577e4.gifv

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
The "I've had naught but beans for weeks!" guy in FFXI is a more compelling character than Lightning.

Mar 18, 2020
Cloud has more endearing qualities but tbh I don't remember much about Eclair other than being cold. Never got through Lightning Returns though.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Whoa there, fellas.

You're getting some things in reverse here. The game does want you to think that at first but then it pulls a reverse Uno on your ass. It's just that the when they explained the reverse UNO in the English version, it wasn't translated well.

The Japanese version makes it more clear that's not the case.

It's actually the Jenova personality that gets melded back into the real Cloud or potentially even dies hence Cloud being a vegetable because that's what Cloud is without the artificial personality. Jenova! Cloud is who we play as for most of the game and is just a puppet a la the Riku Replica from Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. It's the real Cloud inside Cloud that Tifa rescues in the Lifestream Sequence. You stop being able to make dialogue choices once the real Cloud comes back because you, the player, were pretty much the Jenova Cells dictating Cloud's personality. The real Cloud is his own character. So rather than Jenova!Cloud deciding to live as Cloud, it's really Cloud growing as a person from Jenova!Cloud's experiences. That might not be as interesting you guys though.

I think the fact that we have these debates about the nature of Cloud and who Cloud actually is a testament to how interesting his character is. It makes the comparison to Lightning completely absurd when you stack them up side by side. I don't even hate Lightning, she just isn't much of a character while Cloud has all of these interesting complexities and has an actual character arc.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the fact that we have these debates about the nature of Cloud and who Cloud actually is a testament to how interesting his character is. It makes the comparison to Lightning completely absurd when you stack them up side by side. I don't even hate Lightning, she just isn't much of a character while Cloud has all of these interesting complexities and has an actual character arc.

True, there's a lot of ambiguity around Cloud's character that makes him fun to talk about.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
My image of Cloud before having played FFVIIR (and now OG FFVII) was a generic anime emo twunk from the 90's/early 2000's era.

What we actually get is a very endearing tryhard twunk who subverts a lot of these tropes and has a legitimately interesting character arc.

So yeah, I stan my boy Cloud.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lightning is a great benchmark for what Cloud would be like with a worse personality and in a worse story.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
No one has explained why Lightning is a better character. Saying "Queen" doesn't count.

What would be the point in explaining that? This kind of threads is always filled with extremely reductive takes from people who don't like game X and protagonist Y, so it's really daunting writing an explanation about how saying "Cloud and Lightning are the same" does a huge disservice to both characters. So it's best to not take it seriously. That's my opinion anyway.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Gez....

I didn't need to vote to see that Thor 2: Dark World would be a better choice instead of Lighting.

This thread is going to opposite direction OP. You could say Lighting looks better than Cloud, I would totally agree but.... better character.....

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that always gets me is the whole "Cloud is a deconstruction of the cool protagonist, he's actually a dork" is always lost on me when literally every other depiction in subsequent media post FF7 of Cloud is him being "the cool protagonist"

Noctis is a giant dork, and he isn't ashamed of it.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I mean I played the game with the original French translation.
I wouldn't even be able to tell if it was wrong or not.
That's how bad it was.
Also it's not Cloud but CLAD here.

It's really not a translation issue, the original Japanese version was no less vague and ambiguous and left a lot for the player to piece together and figure out. I agree 100% w/ what Kuro said, but it's not that easy to "prove" using the game's script. All I know is that I had replayed the game like four times before I really felt like I understood the truth about Cloud, Sephiroth, Jenova, etc.

Also, shouldn't the better character be the more memorable character? Lightning is forgettable as fuck.