• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I'm surprised we haven't seen a Time Crisis VR or some relatively large light gun franchise come to VR. While there's certainly no shortage of shooting gallery games on VR, none of them have really felt like they scratched that same itch.

I also wonder what the possibility of MAME porting light gun games to VR might be. Could be cool if done right.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Duck hunt was really fun, but I think my favourite was the can minigame from Hogan's Alley, since you had to take in both aiming and timing with the trayectory of the cans.
halley6.png

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Point Blank is probably my favorite light gun series. It's just so, so sublime and dumb. I have the PS2 Gunvari Collection and a few GunCons, but I don't have my CRT hooked up right now so I can't play. Most of my home favorites are the ones that use GunCon since it's so much more accurate than other light guns. I have a soft spot for Lethal Enforcers since my mom bought my brother and I the set for the Genesis that included two guns and we played the shit out of it.

Arcade wise, if I ever see a House of the Dead or Area 51 machine, I feel obligated to play one credit. Last time I went to Round 1 (early 2019), I played the latest Silent Scope and that was a god damn blast. I wish we had some more light gun stuff for modern displays. I'd kill for an easy way to play some of this shit.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
House of the Dead 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I think my friends and I dumped a few hundred hours in to it when it came out on dreamcast.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is a good chance to ask; is there any alternative to play light gun games on modern displays currently? I suppose Dolphin + sensor bar adapter for PC it's an alternative... But is there anything like a proper light gun to use in things like mame and such? the Sinden Lightgun seems good, but i'm not sure if that is already available
Sinden lightgun is currently being fulfilled to Kickstarter and Indiegogo backers. If you ordered now on Indiegogo you'd have to wait months before getting it.
It looks amazing and I'm really excited for it. I backed it on indiegogo back in August. I've been told I should receive my guns in March, but I'm not holding my breath. Between COVID and Brexit, there have been a ton of hurdles/delays for Andy.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean by "not quite the same experience"? Is there noticeable delay in aiming or something?
There is a noticeable lag with my setup (4k 27" computer monitor). Essentially it's a webcam on the gun that interpolates where you are pointing. I haven't spent too much time tweaking it but the mouse-like tracker is a little bit slow. Still very fun though and worth the purchase for me.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Man, more than anything, I want Sega and Namco to put together some compilations and get lightguns back up and running on current gen systems. I understand some stuff is being done by indie developers in VR, but I want a House of the Dead/Virtua Cop Collection, along with A Crisis Collection. Shoot, give me the arcade Jurassic Park/Lost World games too!

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Sinden lightgun is currently being fulfilled to Kickstarter and Indiegogo backers. If you ordered now on Indiegogo you'd have to wait months before getting it.
It looks amazing and I'm really excited for it. I backed it on indiegogo back in August. I've been told I should receive my guns in March, but I'm not holding my breath. Between COVID and Brexit, there have been a ton of hurdles/delays for Andy.
Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks for the reply dood ;)

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a couple sinden light guns a few weeks ago. While I wait for them to arrive, I noticed the indie gogo page mentioned support for some games on steam but don't know where to find a list of them if such a thing exists. Does anyone happen to know where I could find something like that?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Duck hunt was really fun, but I think my favourite was the can minigame from Hogan's Alley, since you had to take in both aiming and timing with the trayectory of the cans.
halley6.png
Hogan's Alley and Duck Hunt were the first light gun games I played so I have a lot of attachment to them. This was in a Nintendo owned arcade around 1984/1985 before the NES was out.

It's kind of crazy how dead the light gun game scene was in the first half of the '80s. Major formats like the 2600 and Intellivision didn't have them, and because '70s gun games were so niche, I never encountered them until many years later. Those early ones (Odyssey, Telstar, TV Scoreboard, etc.) are pretty cool given the context of the time, though.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I will always remember playing Time Crisis 2 to completion with my brother at a local bowling alley. I miss light gun games and arcades in general.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played these games so much back in the day I could clear them in one credit.

Time Crisis 1-5
Crisis Zone
Time Crisis: Raising Storm (AKA Crisis Zone 2)
House of the Dead 1-4 (& Overkill and Scarlet Dawn)
Point Blank 1-3
Code Veronica Arcade/Gun Survivor 2
Gun Survivor 3 (Dino Crisis Lightgun edition) and 4 (Resident Evil: Dead Aim)
Namco & Sega's Ninja Assault (so good and overlooked)
Confidential Mission
Mad Dog McCree 1 and 2 (CDi)
Last Bounty Hunter (CDi)
Crime Patrol (hilariously bad acting, again had it for the Philips CDi)
Drug Wars (CDi)
Ghost Squad (Wii)
Virtua Cop 1, 2 and 3 (3 is mad underrated)
Sega & Namco's Vampire Night (PS2)
Konami's Silent Scope (got the Silent Scope Collection on Xbox and beat them all multiple times)

Love them all. Still want all of these porting to current gen systems, I'd play them all again.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a couple sinden light guns a few weeks ago. While I wait for them to arrive, I noticed the indie gogo page mentioned support for some games on steam but don't know where to find a list of them if such a thing exists. Does anyone happen to know where I could find something like that?
The sinden discord has TONS of resources and chitchat about all things lightgun. There's a wiki too, but I don't have the link handy at the moment.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DO for some reason had tons of these.

I remember getting traumatized by one about zombies but loved one with like a swat team where you even went inside a 747, anyone knows the names?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Gumshoe was a really different kind of light gun game on the NES.

I loved it as a kid but I have no idea if I have the skill and patience to play a game like that today. You really had to be precise for pretty much the entire game.

The last traditional light gun games I played were Time Crisis on the PS2. Those games were a ton of fun.

I have played some VR light gun ish games and they are pretty fun but I don't have that set up in my house and VR is not as ubiquitous as arcades used to be.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I could 1CC Crisis Zone at the arcades. It's pretty easy, but super fun with your machine gun and all the environmental destruction.

I'd probably go TC2 > TC1 > Crisis Zone > the others when it comes to the TC series/adjacent. Point Blank and HOTD1&2 were my other favourites. Love light gun games!

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Duck Hunt was my first game, and I had high hopes for the Wii, but eh. Nowadays, I play arcades for light gun games, or I just do VR at home, which IMO is really the successor of light gun games.

I really enjoyed 2 Spicy at the arcades though. It was basically a light gun fighting game. Could also play against other people.

This was another one at Round 1 that was basically a light gun rhythm game.

On a related note, Pistol Whip on VR is also a shooting rhythm game if that's your thing

Gunslinger Stratos games had quite a bit going on

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I really, really like the 2018 House of the Dead: Scarlett Dawn. Great replay value with all the different combinations of guns you can pick.

As far as Home Stuff goes, I'm a weirdo who really likes Time Crisis 1, but thinks most of the sequels aren't as good as the original
Is this controversial or something? TIme Crisis 1 is also my favorite lightgun game.

I REALLY like Time Crisis 1 and 3, Gunblade NY / LA Machineguns and Virtua Cop 2. Time Crisis 4 and Virtua Cop 1 I like very much as well, but not quite as much. And then I would play the RE lightgun games, HOTD 3, 4 and Overkill, Ghost Squad... But they're not favorites of mine.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump but I didn't really know where else to ask.

With the House of the Dead Remake coming next month I grabbed a few lightgun games on Wii (including HotD1&2, Overkill, and Ghost Squad) but want a decent light gun to play them with, rather than just the Wiimote.

Anyone know if this is any good?

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Do home lightgun games need 'calibration'?
I remember that sometimes the hitboxes were 'off' when I played some games. I couldn't tell if it was intentionally designed that way or there was something wrong with my TV at the time.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we haven't seen a Time Crisis VR or some relatively large light gun franchise come to VR. While there's certainly no shortage of shooting gallery games on VR, none of them have really felt like they scratched that same itch.

I also wonder what the possibility of MAME porting light gun games to VR might be. Could be cool if done right.

Light gun games via emulator in VR is already possible and it's amazing.

www.emuvr.net

EmuVR

Virtual Emulation

Can't recommend this enough.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in '99 my cousin bought me the Time Crisis/G-con 45 pack for my PlayStation, It kicked so much ass.
Still by far my favourite lightgun game to this day and I still have the G-con 45. Proceeded to buy Time Crisis 2 with the G-con 2 and dual wield them, I still have both guns lol.

time-crisis-and-gun-ps1.jpg

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I was really deep into everything Lighting Shooter during the PS2/3 era and bought most of the games releasing in the west. While move never felt the same like a "true" lightgun, it's good enough. The GOAT lightgun shooter is still Time Crisis: Crisis Zone IMHO.

I also have a very soft spot for Deadstorm Pirates. There just is something wholesome about this game, beat it countless times.

Nowadays I do most of my lightgun shooting fix in VR. For classic on-rails experiences Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, Blood and Truth and Pistol Whip are the best games I can recommend.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I miss them so much. Loved the Dreamcast (EU) lightgun with House of the Dead 2 even though I was terrible at it.

A friend was so good he could complete both Time Crisis 2 and House of the Dead 2 in the arcade with 1 credit, used to get crowds around him (I do worry about his mentality and being so good with a gun though, he's not even US based; Moved to Iraq when it was not in the best place and was going to move to Syria just before it all kicked off).

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at the Capcom Stadium release, I'd love a sort of "SEGA CLASSICS: VR" release that had your own customisable arcade room with upgrades and unlockable cosmetics tied to various game achievements, and several classic arcade cabinets for the games that you can potentially purchase all together or ad-hoc.

Looking at the pinball VR stuff, just theming rooms/the environment around any given game would be so rad.

It's nice to dream...

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Double post dammit.

I wish they could work on PC or something, the WII tech didn't really do it for me, need it to be almost instant at least.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The Super Scope gave us Battle Clash, and from there we got the sequel, Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge.

www.youtube.com

Battle Clash (SNES) Playthrough - NintendoComplete

A playthrough of Nintendo's 1992 light gun rail shooter for the SNES, Battle Clash.Anything that required the SuperScope (or most any other SNES peripheral, ...

www.youtube.com

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES) Playthrough - NintendoComplete

A playthrough of Nintendo's 1993 light gun rail shooter for the SNES, Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge.Metal Combat, the sequel to Nintendo's 1992 thoroughly e...

I believe Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge is the first Nintendo game to make use of sprites based on 3D models, actually predating Donkey Kong Country to the technique.

kinokohmklb.gif

ankoq5k8h.gif

majin4zjrx.gif

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I miss those type of games. My absolute favorite is Virtua Cop. I also did enjoy a lot the Point Blank and Time Crisis series.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's the one part of retrogaming that doesn't have an easy solution. You have products like the retrotink or ossc to make retro games more playable on HD tvs, flashcarts and odes to make playing rom hacks and translations on official hardware a breeze, and a market of modern controllers for people who need replaces to dying/old OEMs (or don't like them like the n64), but light guns have no solution. Your only option is to get a crt and hope it works well. I know there are some modern solutions for pc with emulators like the Sinden light guns, but nothing for original hardware exists.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
absolutely love light-gun games. and i'm pretty anti-gun IRL.
the majority requiring a CRT (modern peripherals notwithstanding ) and many of these titles were marketed towards children is an interesting mix of nostalgia, as this genre was pretty much vaporized once screens stopped being lit up by cathode rays

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
It's the one part of retrogaming that doesn't have an easy solution. You have products like the retrotink or ossc to make retro games more playable on HD tvs, flashcarts and odes to make playing rom hacks and translations on official hardware a breeze, and a market of modern controllers for people who need replaces to dying/old OEMs (or don't like them like the n64), but light guns have no solution. Your only option is to get a crt and hope it works well. I know there are some modern solutions for pc with emulators like the Sinden light guns, but nothing for original hardware exists.
It's complicated enough that I'd mostly agree with you, but there are ways to play PS1 and PS2 lightguns on original hardware with the Sindens. I built these little self container boxes for each. Even have foot pedal inputs too!
F5hCsdy.jpeg

housequake

Aug 24, 2021
I love lightgun games! I wish publishers like Sega and Namco would make new entries in their arcade lightgun shooter series in VR, because the medium, with its motion controls and being best suited for short bursts - is perfect for it.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I will die on the hill that HOTD 1 on Saturn was fun and a solid port. HOTD2 on Dreamcast was sublime too
I actually complained to a gaming magazine when they trashed the Saturn port as unplayable when it released, but it was pretty obvious that the reviewer didn't even give it a chance probably because the Saturn was as good as dead back then. The next issue they adjusted the score a little bit. I was probably not the only one complaining, but it still felt like a victory.

Any game where you can use the mouse to aim can use the Sinden lightguns. Look for Typing of the Dead Overkill on Steam, which contains HOTD-Overkill which can be played with a mouse so it works perfectly with the gun (only 1 player though as there is no support for 2 mice/guns in that game). I honestly don't know of any list, maybe you can find something when searching for mouse controlled games...

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's complicated enough that I'd mostly agree with you, but there are ways to play PS1 and PS2 lightguns on original hardware with the Sindens. I built these little self container boxes for each. Even have foot pedal inputs too!
F5hCsdy.jpeg
I need these to be more widely available, and also available on the Saturn and Dreamcast, and I need them all yesterday haha.