• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Hey all, heard some info down the grapevine about upcoming Life is Strange games so I figured I'd share it with you folks.

First off, Life is Strange 3 is being developed right now by Deck Nine (devs of LiS: Before the Storm.) It's being developed on Unreal Engine 4 rather than Unity. It's a full-fledged 5-episode sequel. I've heard that it's been referred to as "Life is Strange: True Colors" in development, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the final title.

The game takes place in the US, but not in the Pacific Northwest (I don't remember where for sure, but it either takes place in the Midwest or the South.) The game will be a return to a grounded, small-town setting (similar to the first game.) The main character is an Asian-American woman named Alex. The main superpower this game revolves around is the ability to read minds. Different characters will have colors surrounding them representing their emotions (hence the name True Colors.)

Music is also a really heavy focus in this game, moreso than LiS 1.

The game should be announced pretty soon. Afaik it was supposed to be announced last year, but COVID-19 must've messed things up.

There is also another Life is Strange game that I've heard is in preproduction, although I'm not 100% sure about the details on this one as it's still a long ways off. It's supposed to be a direct sequel to the first game and it'll feature the same protagonists (Max/Chloe). I haven't heard about this in months so keep in mind it might be cancelled at this point.

As for other Life Is Strange news, Life is Strange 1 is being ported to the Switch. I'm not sure if the second one and BtS will be ported as well, but I'd imagine that they'd be doing that. The ports should be announced whenever LiS 3 is announced.

If you have any questions or anything feel free to ask!

Edit: Just wanted to emphasize that I'm not sure if the fourth Life is Strange game I mentioned would canonize any ending to the first game. I just know that if it exists, it involves Max and Chloe in some way. I also edited out some info I mentioned about a possible timeskip in the fourth game because I am not certain about that.

[mod edit: post reverted]

Last edited by a moderator:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This member has shown us material that supports their claim to know about Life is Strange 3. We can't verify every detail, but there's enough that we're comfortable having this thread.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's being developed on Unreal Engine 4 rather than Unity (like their last game), so a lot of the jank should be eliminated.
I'm using Unreal Engine 4 right now and I quite enjoy it, but we can please stop peddling this disingenuous narrative? Thanks.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
There is also another Life is Strange game that I've heard is in preproduction, although I'm not 100% sure about the details on this one as it's still a long ways off. It's supposed to be a direct sequel to the first game and it'll feature the same protagonists (Max/Chloe), but it will have a large timeskip (think decades.)
This sounds awful.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm down for a direct sequel to LiS1? Maybe? That's a hell of a time skip if true.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Elements here are accurate and other bits aren't fully detailed.

For example: Yes; LiS1 is coming to Switch, as will Before the Storm and LiS2.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Guess LiS1 sequel gonna be after the comic. I'm more excited for new LiS by Deck Nine though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds interesting and more in line with the first game. Plus an Asian American woman protagonist is great.

If the second part is also true, that will make some people really happy, lol.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That third game sounds cool. I don't need any kind of direct sequel to LiS1 though. Although the long timegap could be interesting.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
I'm not sure I care too much for the 2nd game, but True Colors sounds wonderful. I hope this is true because I am very interested.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
LiS3 sounds good if that's all true

the other game sounds kinda bad unless saving Chloe somehow resulted in a futuristic dystopia and Max has to go back and make the other choice, upsetting ALL of the fans. Also they could subtitle it Mad Max.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually really liked LIS2 I don't get why people hated it. It has 1 weak episode but all in all it resonated strongly with me.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Dontnod, the original developer, has no involvement in either the comic books or this supposed game. It's as much fanfiction as anything else.

I wouldn't really be surprised if OP's info is indeed true, tho. You can make a game out of the Bae ending and have it sell. Not the case for the Bay ending: that's pretty definitive.

Who owns the IP?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
That is the option for bad, selfish people. She's dead.
Max is selfish, yes.

Also...Bae ending is canon according to LiS2 and there's a comic that continue that story path. If the existance of its sequel is true, then that just cemented it.
Dontnod, the original developer, has no involvement in either the comic books or this supposed game. It's as much fanfiction as anything else.
Dontnod made LiS2 and the game acknowledge the Bae ending.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
3 sounds great

also, bae ending is cannon confirmed, folks
It's not so much confirmation of canon, just that there's really no way to make a game out of the Bay ending, unless
It's more an introspective thing about how Max ended up coping with the events of the first game, and moving on from them. I doubt they'd do that.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Being able too read minds would relieve the intense decision anxiety I feel when playing these games which is what I loved abut LiS1. So I'm in. I choose to believe

Oct 27, 2017
True Colors sounds dope. No real interest in a direct sequel to LiS1 though.

But I guess that will make that part of the fanbase excited.

I actually really liked LIS2 I don't get why people hated it. It has 1 weak episode but all in all it resonated strongly with me.
It felt like some of the visible backlash stemmed from them not continuing with Max's story, which I found to be silly reason to shit on a game.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Is there any possibility of the previous LiS games getting next gen patches/updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.