• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely say I found this episode weaker than Episode 3. It could have been worse though.

The ending choice was made easier thanks to how I've raised Daniel I think. It's about time that was useful for something.

20190824000528_1xykfy.jpg

20190824000530_17lj74.jpg

20190824000531_1aajno.jpg

20190824000532_1c4k00.jpg

I Passed Both VIsion Tests.
I told Agent Flores the Robbery was Finn's Idea.
I escaped the hospital without hurting anyone.
I didn't talk to Finn.
I didn't try to take the toy back and didn't break it.
I refused to sing and got beat up.
I got into Anton's Truck to Reach Haven Point.
I Gave Money to the Church.
Overall, I tried to let Karen Open Up to Me.
I Smoked A CIgarette with Karen
I accepted Karen's Help to Clean Up My Wound.
Nicholas was unaware of my presence
I shared my money with Jacob
I managed to hide from Nicholas
Daniel and I both spared Lisbeth's Life

P.S.
I don't like Karen...at all. Cheers to starting the fire though.

Last edited:

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Lost my save after completing episode 2, so out of spite I refused to play the game anymore until it was nearly finished. With only one episode left, this now might be the time for me to jump back in.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The only decisions I regret about EP4 are

not talking to Finn. Not sure I would have forgiven him but I regret skipping the conservation.

But even more I felt like a total ass not giving Jacob the money. As a non-American it took me a little to realize that you actually need money to get medical treatment in the US.

After all my current rating for the Episodes is 3>4>1>>2

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Finished episode 4. Enjoyed it, but I still think 3 is my definite favourite with only one left to go.

• Passed both vision tests
  • Told Flores the robbery was Finn's idea
  • Convinced Joey to help me escape
  • Didn't talk to Finn
  • Didn't try to take the toy back and didn't break it
  • Sang the song in Spanish (and I almost instantly regretted it :( )
  • Got into Anton's truck
  • Gave money to the church
  • Tried to let Karen open up
  • Stayed outside with Karen while she smoked
  • Let her clean the wound
  • Nicholas was unaware of Sean's presence
  • Didn't give money to Jacob
  • Managed to hide from Nicholas
  • Sean and Daniel both spared Lisbeth's life

I will say that Dontnod are very good at making me love, like and loathe characters. Very much curious as to how this story is going to end.

mcwizardry

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I just found this out, you can spin the left stick and Sean will finish his drawings really quickly.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Finished it few hours ago. Overall i liked it more than 3rd episode. It was interesting to me from start to finish.

But i am not really happy with my ending...

That douchebag found me when i was hiding and Daniel killed that bitch at the end and i could't stop him. Can someome tell me how can i hide and how can i spare her at the end of the episode?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it few hours ago. Overall i liked it more than 3rd episode. It was interesting to me from start to finish.

That douchebag found me when i was hiding and Daniel killed that bitch at the end and i could't stop him. Can someome tell me how can i hide and how can i spare her at the end of the episode?
Ask for Karen to distract and hide in closet. I think you spare her depending on your choices up in past episodes..

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Hiding in the closet worked for me. Make sure you close the drawer you searched for the files first.

As for the reverend: I first threatend her with the gun then told Daniel to open the door then.
Maybe it's important to tell Daniel the right things before that. I always chose the dialogue options that had to do with intel I found in her house.

Maybe it also has to do how you "raised" Daniel in the previous episodes. Maybe if he's gone "bad" he'll kill her anyways, I don't know

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

probably depends how you raised Daniel..

Did you kill the cougar?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I told Karen to do nothing. So yeah that's probably it. I kinda realized later that she can distract him and that i can escape but i didn't pick that option at the moment because i thought that the guy will hurt her instead.

About the ending. I had an option to spare her. But later there was another option, to shoot her myself or to do nothing. And Daniel just kills her. I wanted to repeat that part but you know what? Fuck it, that bitch deserved to die anyway for everything that she did. And it's probably connected to previous choices so i can't even do anything about it. But i don't feel bad about Daniel killing her tbh.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I told Karen to do nothing. So yeah that's probably it. I kinda realized later that she can distract him and that i can escape but i didn't pick that option at the moment because i thought that the guy will hurt her instead.

About the ending. I had an option to spare her. But later there was another option, to shoot her myself or to do nothing. And Daniel just kills her. I wanted to repeat that part but you know what? Fuck it, that bitch deserved to die anyway for everything that she did. And it's probably connected to previous choices so i can't even do anything about it. But i don't feel bad about Daniel killing her tbh.
I also told Karen to do nothing. Hiding still works that way, no problem.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017

I hid under the desk, but I locked the door and closed the file cabinet first. I told Karen not to distract him.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I quite enjoyed episode 4! Can't wait for the finale.
It's really neat seeing the differences between me and my daughters breakthroughs based on our choices!

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Upon reflection I have all sorts of problems with Jacob's plotline. He has time to pack gear (and grab your money) and write a cryptic note in your journal while the cops are coming as well as take a gun-shot wound Daniel safely across to Nevada to be left with the evil cult he ran away from? And since Sean was in a coma and the scattered how did his journal even leave an evidence room? It might have made more sense if Jacob had tried to trade Daniel for his sister and then when that failed he hatched a plan to get Karen and Sean there to help him.

Also those who didn't talk to poor Finn missed a decent conversation with a real dumbass.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think I have a love/hate relationship with this game. And that extends to this episode. Some parts of it were really good. The first hour in general was very strong. Superb audiovisual experience. The cinematography is so fucking good at certain points. The
part where Sean drives away from the hospital, or the lightnings during the confrontation with the jackasses, or Daniel making the cross float in the church... just a lot of very striking visuals

However, the most emotionally important moments tend to fall flat for me in season 2, and that trend carried on here. I
did not care for Karen whatsoever. I guess in a way that may have been the intention, but I expected more from her. The explanation for her leaving was basically an extension of the hippy kids attitude from episode 3, and was more or less a re-do of Rachel's mum from BTS.

I also unfortunately found the ending to be rather corny. I think being somewhat more low key would've made the big finale work better.

Episode 3 remains to be by far the strongest episode of the season for me. 3 > 1 > 4 > 2.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I
did not care for Karen whatsoever. I guess in a way that may have been the intention, but I expected more from her. The explanation for her leaving was basically an extension of the hippy kids attitude from episode 3, and was more or less a re-do of Rachel's mum from BTS.

Well i think the talk with Karen was great.It's probably one of my favorite moment in any Life is Strange game.
Karen is the most well written character in the franchise imo.
And a better character than Rachel's mum easily.
An extension of the hippy kids?well it's more than that.It's one of the main theme of the game.From Brody to Karen.(no sure if this sentence is correct in english :D )
Also it's really interesting that she appears in an episode with a cult story.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing I don't understand is
Why Karen didn't call the cops when she figured out where Daniel was from Jacob? Sean was in custody, she didn't know about Dan's powers. Dan's just a kid, he wasn't in danger of going to jail or anything.

I also didn't care about her character. I didn't feel any emotional weight in her reveal or the talk after. Also, the crap that Sean is going through as far as physical trials is reaching Passion of the Christ sort of absurdity, and when even Karen just stood by and watched him getting the shit kicked out of him and threatened with a gun, I was rolling my eyes. Like, really?

Lastly, I also think this episode has me casting doubts on Daniel. I know he's just a kid and has been brain washed for a couple of months... but him being so willing to rag doll Sean after seeing what he did to his eye the last time doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
Since you're talking about it, these are my thoughts about her

Karen.
Obviously I was expecting his appearance, seeing the trailer but, not so and the thing, I must admit, pleasantly impressed me.
I expected her to be the Reverend Mother, but I was wrong. So when I first saw her and before I got in the car, I thought she was a victim of the cult. I was still wrong.
At that point, I wanted to find out everything about her, I definitely didn't want to miss anything. All I had left was the theory of powers, and i was surprised here, too. No excuses like "I was a danger to you" so I left you. It would have been disappointing.
Instead, the simplest motivation was also the strongest: she did not want to be a mother and her mistake was not to abandon us, but to have tried.
As a father, I could never conceive of such a thing. But for this very reason, it intrigued me a lot and made me think a lot also: I realized that I, in my shoes that I love being a father, Can not pretend to understand. If I'd been a personality like hers, forced to have a family because you have to do it, because that's the rules, I'd probably end up being a half-father and she didn't want to be a half-mother. Keeping in touch with them meant that.
It's a very strong thing.
That's why I loved how Karen's character was written. From my point of view, he should have deserved insults about insults. Instead, it blew me away.
The other thing that surprised me is when Sean asked her, "And was it worth it?" I expected Karen to answer No and instead, a convinced YES. WoW, just wow.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're talking about it, these are my thoughts about her

The other thing that surprised me is when Sean asked her, "And was it worth it?" I expected Karen to answer No and instead, a convinced YES. WoW, just wow.
Agree on every point.
People, rightfully, had lots of ideas and hypotesis since Ep1 but it was simple and poignant in the explanation, as is everything compared to season 1. Much more grounded in comparison, even Daniel's powers seem like a minor plot point in the background of the road trip and social/racial themes. Karen's truly the well written variant of Rachel's mother from Before the Storm, as many said, her whole scene at the motel was basically a narrative homerun.
All in all, it's a good episode. I would have preferred to keep
the church-cult plotline a little less dramatic and more low-key, maybe having it be a real alternative for Daniel so that Sean would have been in doubt about wanting to free his brother

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Unfortunately episode 4 didn't grab me like I expected it to. I felt a little bored at times. But still enjoyable. The art direction in this game is really amazing. The desert looked so interesting.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Man ep 4 is even weaker than the third. Lame, uninspired been there done that.
Unfortunately episode 4 didn't grab me like I expected it to. I felt a little bored at times. But still enjoyable. The art direction in this game is really amazing. The desert looked so interesting.

Biggest problem for me is that it was very predictable, from the start. But i had much more fun playing episode 4 than episode 3.
Only thing that bothers me from episode to episode is Daniel. I honestly can't stand that brat sometimes.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
All in all, it's a good episode. I would have preferred to keep
the church-cult plotline a little less dramatic and more low-key, maybe having it be a real alternative for Daniel so that Sean would have been in doubt about wanting to free his brother

Oh yes, 100% you are right.

This depends, I imagine, on the episodic nature related to the theme of escape. An entire episode dedicated to the cult, or even two episodes, would allow for an extremely interesting development. Definitely in a more subtle way. At the same time, it would have benefited even more characters like Karen, Jacob and Sarah Lee

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Played it.

Loved
Karen as a character. I was ready to forgive her.

Didn't like that the episode felt super linear. Don't think Sean's physical state ever factored into the game.

I guess my fundamental problem comes from the premise of the game. The authorities have no evidence against Sean or Daniel. As far as they know there was an explosion that happened with zero evidence of any residue. (Police car dash cam showed it was strong enough to flip the vehicle.)

Honestly all they have to do is come clean with Daniel's power. That it's an unknown thing that activated when Esteban was shot. No jury in the world would convict them. That all the adults in the game are giving them profoundly bad advice detracts from the game.

I was hoping I could tell Flores the whole story, and expecting her to denounce the account a fantasy.

Maybe episode 5.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Played it.

Loved
Karen as a character. I was ready to forgive her.

Didn't like that the episode felt super linear. Don't think Sean's physical state ever factored into the game.

I guess my fundamental problem comes from the premise of the game. The authorities have no evidence against Sean or Daniel. As far as they know there was an explosion that happened with zero evidence of any residue. (Police car dash cam showed it was strong enough to flip the vehicle.)

Honestly all they have to do is come clean with Daniel's power. That it's an unknown thing that activated when Esteban was shot. No jury in the world would convict them. That all the adults in the game are giving them profoundly bad advice detracts from the game.

I was hoping I could tell Flores the whole story, and expecting her to denounce the account a fantasy.

Maybe episode 5.
Yeah but then
Daniel ends up in a government lab being reverse engineered to make super soldiers. Life is Strange 3: Modern Warfare.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but then
Daniel ends up in a government lab being reverse engineered to make super soldiers. Life is Strange 3: Modern Warfare.

Not if he goes to the media first. Demonstrate it to enough people before they get arrested.

Honestly the Church stuff is a perfectly good backdrop. I'm wondering if some religious nut will factor into the next episode.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
totally random speculations( after episode 4)

-Maybe Karen lives in Sedona(Arizona) ?
it's a "new age" city.
About Arizona,fun fact: near the Cocino National Forest,there is....a Prescott Forest..... :D

-Agent Flores will come back in episode 5.She's also latino american it seems,and maybe that's important.

-Daniel will destroy the border wall with his power.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
totally random speculations( after episode 4)

-Maybe Karen lives in Sedona(Arizona) ?
it's a "new age" city.
About Arizona,fun fact: near the Cocino National Forest,there is....a Prescott Forest..... :D

-Agent Flores will come back in episode 5.She's also latino american it seems,and maybe that's important.

-Daniel will destroy the border wall with his power.

I could definitely see the last the one happening. But
doing so would definitely risk people's lives, so I think it will be a choice

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
All in all, I feel that I did everything right in Ep. 4 (after the disaster that was Ep. 3), with the exception of putting some money in the church donation box (lol.)

And I love *that* character.
I fully believed Karen had powers, and that's why she felt she had to leave, but when you hear the truth it feels so real and tragic. I understand why many people won't forgive her, but...I get it. "Abandoning your loved ones" is one of the core themes of LiS (Max ghosting Chloe when she needed her the most, Rachel...uh..."abandoning" Chloe) and Karen fully admits it was a selfish decision, but one she felt she had to make. She's one of the best-written characters in the franchise tbh.

Whether or not you think it's well-executed, LiS 2 continues to be fearless in its storytelling choices. Bravo.

(but no more Agent Flores please, her performance wasn't amazing.)

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
All in all, I feel that I did everything right in Ep. 4 (after the disaster that was Ep. 3), with the exception of putting some money in the church donation box (lol.)

And I love *that* character.
I fully believed Karen had powers, and that's why she felt she had to leave, but when you hear the truth it feels so real and tragic. I understand why many people won't forgive her, but...I get it. "Abandoning your loved ones" is one of the core themes of LiS (Max ghosting Chloe when she needed her the most, Rachel...uh..."abandoning" Chloe) and Karen fully admits it was a selfish decision, but one she felt she had to make. She's one of the best-written characters in the franchise tbh.

Whether or not you think it's well-executed, LiS 2 continues to be fearless in its storytelling choices. Bravo.

(but no more Agent Flores please, her performance wasn't amazing.)

Totally agree. As for that woman, I've already said my (very positive) thought a few posts above.
But I'm worried about the ep.5 sincerely: three months is a long time for us players, but very little to make one last episode rich and complete. I'm afraid it's going to be too short and they can't close the circle. They have yet to arrive and I fear that much of the episode will always be in extreme motion. Instead, for the last one, in my opinion there would be a need for a final and thorough setting.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty good Episode 4. I really like how they're doing environments in this game, really cool. Still though, I think at this point it's my least favorite of the LiS trilogy, but still a super great game.

If I could go back in time I would...
"If I could go back in time I would..." Sean says as some gnarly shits about to go down. Foreshadowing baby, I believe in Max. Could just be a stupid call back... But I believe!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree. As for that woman, I've already said my (very positive) thought a few posts above.
But I'm worried about the ep.5 sincerely: three months is a long time for us players, but very little to make one last episode rich and complete. I'm afraid it's going to be too short and they can't close the circle. They have yet to arrive and I fear that much of the episode will always be in extreme motion. Instead, for the last one, in my opinion there would be a need for a final and thorough setting.

Yeah, separating the brothers was a good direction for the story to explore, but now I worry there's not enough runway left to make the most out of their relationship. Six episodes would be perfect, and stretching out the cult arc across two episodes could have made it feel like a stronger turning point, instead of just another wacky and dangerous adventure for the Diaz brothers.

All the same, in its best moments this game is peerless. That Life is Strange is the first game series to directly confront Trump-era fears and anxieties makes so much sense.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Based on casting call leaks episode 5 will have us going to Karren's community at the start.