• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Fantastic! Finally I can play episode 2 without the fear of losing my save game, because that would've sucked big time.

yeah,i've got my save deleted :( But I was able to get back my episode 1 saves from the cloud.So i need to replay episode 2 again.A good reason to find all those collectibles this time.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
yeah,i've got my save deleted :( But I was able to get back my episode 1 saves from the cloud.So i need to replay episode 2 again.A good reason to find all those collectibles this time.

I'm sorry to hear. :( Good thing you uploaded your episode 1 save to the cloud, though. For a long time I didn't take advantage of this feature but recently I uploaded some of my saves to the cloud too. After all you never know when a save file might corrupt, or even worse, your console dies.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
ah ah no.
The writers wanted to tell another story,not the same story again.That's the right thing to do.They're not doing things for a fanbase,they're doing the thing they want to do as creators.A way more ambitious game for the season 2.
Life is Strange is an anthology.The first season was a Twin Peaks x Teenagers movie story,the season 2 is a road trip.Both deals with difficult subjects and a "twist in the strange".And of course,they couldn't use the same time mechanism again.
He's also wrong about Captain Spirit,it was a really nice idea actually,it adds depth to a side character with his own story,and everyone knew that Chris wasn't the main character in Life is Strange 2.No confusion here.
For the reviews,actually some websites usually don't reviews episodes now,but wait for the full release.
Oh yeah, they did absolutely the right creative decision. Milking Max and Chloe further would have been much much worse. And shit I certainly wouldn't know how to make another LiS title and hit exactly all the high points from the first game without being derivative. Same deal with TWD Season 1. Capturing that lighting must be incredibly hard. So I certainly don't fault them much, but it is simply too bad it is seemingly not catching on so far as much as the first game and you can identify some reasons for that. Hopefully it gets better

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dontnod overestimated how much they could change the focus of the franchise and keep the fanbase they'd built up. Different characters could have worked, but I think there was a specific tone and sensibility to the first game that fans were looking to slip back into. The loss of the time mechanic also makes the game feel much less differentiated from other games in the genre (Telltale). And Captain Spirit was a big marketing mistake. It was a move that sold the audience on ANOTHER lovable kid, who isn't the kid the real game is focused on. I think this just caused unnecessary confusion. They didn't sell the original fanbase on the game and they didn't capture new fans.

There doesn't seem to be any chatter about the game at this point. IGN didn't even review the 2nd episode.

For the record, I think you're right. Anthology stories might be an interesting creative choice, but they're financial poison and there's a reason most major IPs try to stay away from them.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I think you're right. Anthology stories might be an interesting creative choice, but they're financial poison and there's a reason most major IPs try to stay away from them.
Is that true? What are some series which have cratered due to this format? The only ones that come to mind right now are Persona and Final Fantasy (maybe Pokemon, in a way?), and those have done just fine. Oh, and of course, Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed. It seems fairly common for sequels of games to follow different characters and have a different setting, but within the confines of the same world.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that true? What are some series which have cratered due to this format? The only ones that come to mind right now are Persona and Final Fantasy (maybe Pokemon, in a way?), and those have done just fine. Oh, and of course, Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed. It seems fairly common for sequels of games to follow different characters and have a different setting, but within the confines of the same world.

A huge portion of the audience did not play GTA or Assassin's Creed for their stories and characters. Many Final Fantasy games have, in fact, received direct sequels, spinoffs, or continuations featuring the same characters (Persona has also received similar spinoffs/adaptations/continuations for some stories). I would also point out that Assassin's Creed II, the most popular game in the series, received two direct sequels because people loved that character and world so much.

Some games can get away with an anthology format and some cannot. Life is Strange, apparently, cannot. They took a financial gamble and they lost.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A huge portion of the audience did not play GTA or Assassin's Creed for their stories and characters. Many Final Fantasy games have, in fact, received direct sequels, spinoffs, or continuations featuring the same characters (Persona has also received similar spinoffs/adaptations/continuations for some stories).

Some games can get away with an anthology format and some cannot. Life is Strange, apparently, cannot. They took a financial gamble and they lost.
Sure, I guess LiS is more purely story in that sense. But if we're going that route, we do have certain examples like Danganronpa or some VN series like the Science Adventure series.

I think that LiS2's lack of sales or word of mouth comes down to much more than simply it being an anthology format. Again, it's just like The Walking Dead S1 to The Walking Dead S2, which was a direct sequel but still suffered the same. It's more to do with the episodic structure, the technical issues, and the delay between episodes (also the increased price), which both of these examples shared.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sure, I guess LiS is more purely story in that sense. But if we're going that route, we do have certain examples like Danganronpa or some VN series like the Science Adventure series.

I think that LiS2's lack of sales or word of mouth comes down to much more than simply it being an anthology format. Again, it's just like The Walking Dead S1 to The Walking Dead S2, which was a direct sequel but still suffered the same. It's more to do with the episodic structure, the technical issues, and the delay between episodes (also the increased price), which both of these examples shared.
I also feel a lot of people don't particular look forward to a sequel to those games. LiS ends definitely, TWD concludes Lee's arc definitely. Probably not too many people who are massively excited for a sequel just because it is a sequel, a lot of them probably feel the original ended well enough and didn't leave too much open (for TWD). As a sequel you are also always expected to innovate, but that's a hard thing to do for a story based game

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I was definitely down for another LiS, but I think a road trip is just a really poor idea. They took all of what made LiS fresh and threw it out the window for something derivative. I'll still get the full game, but it's on the back burner currently.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think there's also a change in the stakes that makes LiS2 a little bit more... "difficult" than LiS1 for some individuals. In LiS1 the stakes are limited to a small town with endearing characters that have very limited scope over the course of the game, despite the supernatural elements and danger the tornado poses to the town.

In LiS2, we have a road story about two minority kids escaping police brutality and politically motivated oppression, without the ability for individuals to take back things they do or say. As a result, every choice becomes a comment on something very relevant and "political", as some people who dislike the second season have pointed out. I personally like the narrative and its focus, and though I think that LiS1 was very "political" and relevant to the conversation in 2015, Life is Strange 2 doesn't allow the player to explore the short term ramifications of their actions without committing to them. While I do think that the complaint that the game is quote unquote too political are eyeroll worthy, I think that the "burden of choice" is much, much higher due to the statements the game is making.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Road Trip is great.You visit a ton of differents locations and meet a lof of different people.
They wanted to show different sides of America as well.

About Life is Strange 2 inspirations,there is something interesting.

So this character in episode 1

Brody...

and..then this character in episode 2
Cassidy

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I feel like episode 3 is gonna be all about those boxcar kids and that
Sean will have the option to hook up with Cassidy or remain faithful to his one true waifu Lyla and that there will be serious drama with the other dude and Daniel has the option to kill him at the end of the episode depending on what choices you made with him and that it's going to be the major episode 3 turning point.
how right am I, how right am I?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like episode 3 is gonna be all about those boxcar kids and that
Sean will have the option to hook up with Cassidy or remain faithful to his one true waifu Lyla and that there will be serious drama with the other dude and Daniel has the option to kill him at the end of the episode depending on what choices you made with him and that it's going to be the major episode 3 turning point.
how right am I, how right am I?
Wasn't there speculation that the dude isn't straight?

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
So I just finished Episode 2, and I guess I accidentally clicked to start Chapter 1 again instead of replaying in Collectable Mode, because I've lost my progress. I don't suppose anyone has a completed save for Episode 2 that they could send to me?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Dontnod 2016
D0gTQgbX4AM4Ait.jpg

Dontnod 2019
D01GufiXcAAgh7G.jpg:large

miserable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just started the game on Xbox One X and noticed it was 30fps. Now I've seen videos on youtube from the Xbox One X version and they were 60fps. What am I missing here? There is no graphical setting option in the game.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

I don't think that's necessarily the issue. One big issue with LiS2 is that there are only two characters that persist between episodes. Every episode takes place in a new location(s) and introduces new characters. It's hard to get attached to anything or anyone when you know you're never going to see them again. LiS1 also had the benefit of having familiar themes and settings. Everybody knows high school drama and everyone wishes they could go back in time and make different choices. LiS2 lacks both of those appeals. Most people can't relate to being on the run and telekinesis is a far less poignant superpower.

I see what Dontnod was going for with LiS2. They wanted to focus solely on the two main characters and tell a story about a journey rather than a specific time or place. I just don't think those ideas resonate with as many people.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just started the game on Xbox One X and noticed it was 30fps. Now I've seen videos on youtube from the Xbox One X version and they were 60fps. What am I missing here? There is no graphical setting option in the game.

Apparently LiS2 doesn't have a 60fps setting on consoles. Only LiS: Before the Storm has it. It's a shame because it was really nice and smooth to play BtS in performance mode. I guess Dontnod decided to stick with better resolution.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Apparently LiS2 doesn't have a 60fps setting on consoles. Only LiS: Before the Storm has it. It's a shame because it was really nice and smooth to play BtS in performance mode. I guess Dontnod decided to stick with better resolution.

BTS was made by a different developer and used Unity instead of Unreal. It's a bit ironic given how people think Unity is garbage on consoles and that Unreal is the best engine ever.

miserable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But there are videos on youtube from the Xbox One X AND Ps4 Pro version that are running at 60fps. And the Xbox One X video I was watching is from Gamersyde, which is a trusted source when it comes to 60fps videos.

miserable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do. They have a 60fps video of Trials Rising on the Switch, a 30fps game. A higher recording framerate means fluctuations in the source framerate can be shown more accurately.
I think you are misunderstanding. I'm saying they don't make videos in which they double the speed so a 30fps game would look like it was running at 60fps.(like that Uncharted 4 video by Digital Foundry)

Just because they record it at 60fps does not make the game magically run at 60fps.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I think you are misunderstanding. I'm saying they don't make videos in which they double the speed so a 30fps game would look like it was running at 60fps.(like that Uncharted 4 video by Digital Foundry)

Just because they record it at 60fps does not make the game magically run at 60fps.
That's what I'm saying too. I just mean that the video itself has a framerate of 60fps. The game image would update every second frame for a locked 30fps game.

SE Toby

Square Enix - Community Manager
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
London
Hey folks,

Just dropping by to let you know that we've just announced release dates for Episodes 3, 4 and 5!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update!

It's going to be a rough wait for the full season to wrap up, especially if they start dropping some major cliffhangers on us.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Coincidentally I haven't been looking at this thread much since LiS2 released since I didn't want spoilers. Having to wait 14 months from episode 1 to 5 is a little ridiculous and why I don't bother with episodic games until they're all out these days. It actively hurts the game.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
I posted about this earlier, but will ask again - can anyone who has completed the second episode please send me a copy of their save? I accidentally overwrote and I don't want to have to replay the whole episode again unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
the wait between episode 4 and 5 will be something ah ah.
But having release dates is nice.
I will also buy the physical edition when it will be announced.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Official description for episode 3:

Episode 3, 'Wastelands', continues Sean and Daniel Diaz's journey to Mexico, as they reach the towering redwood forests of California. Falling in with a community of drifters on the fringes of society, the brothers are exposed to new experiences, encounter new friends and challenges, and must confront much about themselves in the process. New relationships cause friction between the brothers and raise doubts about their unity. Can they stay together, or will their journey together end here?

i am intrigued.

Larkoz

Oct 27, 2017
*sigh* This is going to be a painful wait. Square, Dontnod, you seriously need to rethink the episodic format.

But at least it's not as bad as the gap between EP1 and EP2... yay.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* This is going to be a painful wait. Square, Dontnod, you seriously need to rethink the episodic format.

But at least it's not as bad as the gap between EP1 and EP2... yay.

It's not the episodic format that's the problem. Season 2 is a road trip, meaning they can't reuse many assets. If we get a season 3 (hopefully) they'll probably use a single location.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That schedule is an absolute joke for Game Pass subscribers. So I can look forward to playing in March 2020 when all episodes are on the service.

Is there even an option to buy an individual episode so I could play episodes 1-4 during Christmas 2019 via Game Pass, and then buy the last episode to also play at that time?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Good news for some people:

"Episode 2 is now available to purchase separately. Episodes 3, 4 & 5 will also be available to purchase individually on their release dates. "

Also a little teaser for episode 3

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so lis2 ep2 will be out on gamepass before episode 3 is out for non-gamepass folks.

i feel like a fool for buying it outright if i'm getting the same treatment as someone paying pennies to play it. why even let people pre-buy episodes to begin with if they're gonna sell it like this.

new episodic games should never debut on subscription services, it poisons the whole business model.
You got to play it before it hit that subscription service though.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
what's the problem here?i don't get it.
same experience, for at least 1/5 the price (if you're subbing to gamepass to play ONLY lis2).

anyone that paid upfront got fleeced
You got to play it before it hit that subscription service though.
given episode 2, i get to beta test it for gamepass players

though i suppose it's the immense wait between episodes that irks me the most. it's longer than the 90 day gamepass delay... like they couldn't even make them wait until the next ep releases.