• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Are people seriously complaining that a 9 year old with his whole life uprooted, who's suddenly living as a vagrant with crazy powers, isn't a silent angel? The complaints about an appropriately whiny child are worse than he is.

But nope, 2 is far better than 1. Greatly improved graphics, lip syncing, voice acting, dialogue, location variety, ending variety, and themes. In retrospect, the endings for the first are very lacking; your options are (1) choose a teenage friendship (or fling likely to end in a few months) and destroy a whole town of innocent people, or (2) choose to not be a psychopath and have every choice undone and your playthrough amounts practically to a dream; you could've just stopped playing ten minutes into the game and had the same result.

I agree with this opinion and also I would like to add that I think it's absolutely fantastic for DIVERSITY (a word that's loved in this forum) to have a game dealing with what a lot of latinamerican immigrants have to deal every single day in the US.

BTW, even with the criticism about the ending of the first game I adore it so you can guess how much I like the second one.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much agree with everything you said. It is pale in comparison to the first season. Even Before The Storm.

The fact that I couldn't get to connect with any characters in the long term was rough, but it was made even worse when both Sean and Daniel aren't exactly likeable characters. They have their moments, but there's no connection like I had with Max and Chloe (and Rachel). I think the format would work if I liked Sean and Daniel. At the beginning, I do. Every episode after that, it's downhill. They're young, broken, and make rash decisions. I pretty much understood everything they did (except for Daniel episode 3-5, because he appears to hit the rebellious teenager phase 3-5 years too early). Unfortunately, I still don't like them as characters.

Episode 4 might have been the worst episode of the entire series for me. Pretty much watched Sean be tortured for an hour. It was heartbreaking as the racism is very real, but the writing was kinda boring, not interacting for long periods of time while this kid is treated like garbage time and time again. The cult was also boring and could've been explored far more, but felt like a bit of a rush to get the mother involved. The cult also opened up possibilities that unfortunately went nowhere.

The improvements are there, for sure. Voice acting has improvements, some dialogue, environments and the several different endings. The more diverse cast is also really great. I liked David's involvement too. It didn't feel like simple fan service. I could easily believe he ended up there like Karen.

I liked LiS2, but I can't say I have any interest in playing through it again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Avoiding spoilers but I loved first game, didn't like BTWS coz there were no stakes, but this looks like an easy platinum on PS4. I could just play it on games pass but I'm tempted to buy the physical $40 version on PS4 just for platinum. Anyone have tips on the plat, if it's really that easy?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I really loved it and think it's unequivocally better than the first game. But I've never wanted to get into an argument about it, so I have never posted any opinions on it here.
Bollocks. LiS2 is certainly a more refined experience with better production values, but it's certainly not unequivocally better in all aspects.
But Hugo is a much better character overall.
I'm about halfway done with the game. Hugo is an ill child that was incredibly sheltered, that's all there is to him. I think the mechanics (aka constant hand holding) make me dislike him more than anything, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I quite liked it. Not as much as 1 and BTS, but it was still a great game.

Also not sure where all the 'Daniel is annoying' complaints are coming from. Have none of you ever been around a 9-year old? They're terrible. And then just compound that on top of everything they went through

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
It wasn't nearly as good as season 1 but I still enjoyed it. I thought Daniel and Sean were memorable characters but I never really connected with the supporting characters. SPOILERS - The thing that bothered me the most was the Mom's motivation for leaving her children, like what the fuck? You just decided you didn't want to be a mom, fuck off with that.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Stopped playing after episode 2, just didn't have much interest anymore. LiS 1 is legit in my top 10 of the decade and I also loved Before the Storm and Captain Spirit. But LiS was strong because it focused on a (in games) very underused setting of suburban Americana. Conversely the Papa Wolf / Magical child duo Wandering the Earth is such a derivative cliche in games, that even without the story lacking central side characters, I got disengaged with it almost immediately. Reading the other comments here does not make me hopeful I'll return to it. Real disappointment indeed.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I just gotta say one more thing. You say story is a coming of age story to which I agree, you say the story isn't about using it for good or bad but she does use it for good and you have the option of using it for bad as well so of course it is, it has all the tropes of a superhero story Spider Man etc. You say it is about growth, to which I agree as well. But the growth that Max achieves ultimately hinges on letting Chloe die which is one of my problems, when the story doesn't explain why she has to die. Many time travel stories do this (Steins Gate etc) so it is strange why this game doesn't. If Max hadn't tried to save Chloe she could have avoided it all, and the message we get from that ending is "If great power is entrusted to you, you shouldn't use it to make difference because it'll do more harm.
Her rewinding time also undoes all the good things she's done like saving Kate, making peace with Victoria, and getting Chloe and her stepfather closer together.
It's only really infuriating because it leaves all these symbolic clues but never explains them and how they tie to Chloe, which like I said wouldn't be so bad if how Max's powers work didn't influence the final choice.
And that is all I'll say about that. :P
It has all the tropes of a teenage coming of age story. Movies like The Edge of Seventeen and the first season of 13 Reasons Why have way more in common to the first Life is Strange than any superhero story. Chloe already died, however Max getting a mysterious time power around the same time allows her to save Chloe and go on a personal journey of growth. She gets to spend precious time with an old friend she's lost contact with and really get to know and understand her as well as her own Mom's relationship with her step dad she hates, her step dad, Kate, Victoria, Nathan, her teachers, etc...and learn and grow from the experiences. At the same time, Max and Chloe get to go on a journey to find Rachel, discover she's been murdered, and find out who the murderer is, expose him, and prevent other girls from suffering the same fate.

The growth Max ultimately achieves doesn't hinge on letting Chloe die, because she already died. The growth Max ultimately achieves is becoming an adult and instead of avoiding it; finally accepting it like Chloe has. Chloe has went through a tough time and made poor decisions which ultimately led to her death. it's no coincidence even after you save her, she continues to make poor decisions and die because unfortunately that's her fate. The selfish ending you can choose to allow her to live and destroy everybody in Arcadia bay should've at least hinted this fate.

If anything, the time power that you use to save Chloe isn't a curse but a blessing in disguise that you even get to go on this personal journey of growth. And you don't undo all the good things because you could've picked bad things as well and had negative outcomes, but to grow and learn from those experiences and have another chance at it without the ability to rewind time. The Max at the beginning when Chloe died is a selfish, immature girl, and the Max that allows Chloe to die at the end is a much different Max that's a selfless, mature woman that's accepted the harsh realities of the real world and is ready to grieve for her friend, move on and use her experiences to make better decisions.

Last edited:

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
. It all felt disjointed, rushed, and lacked impact

hell no...rushed?not really,it's a very ambitious game actually.Probably a bit too much for the team.They didn't have the time to perfect everything.
The game is impactfull actually,but just not for you.

What did YOU think of Life is Strange 2? How did it compare to Season 1?

it's a totally different kind of story,so you can't really compare the two games.
LiS 2 is a more mature and more ambitious game.It lacks the mysteries/twists of the first game(i prefer a "twin peaks" story than a "roadtrip" story) but they wanted to tell something totally different on purpose.(basically they wanted LiS2 to be the opposite of the first season).Like the first season,the game has some problems (but not the same problems actually),but it's still great.
Lis 2 has better dialogue,and the choice do actually matters at the end.The final episode and the endings are better than in the first season.
and the LIS cameo is great,and it does make sense with some of the game themes.

It was totally one of my GOTY.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Life is Strange 2 is my favorite game of 2019. I loved the original LiS, but 2 was so much more enjoyable.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine I guess? A lot of it felt like such a step down from the first and though Sean and Daniel aren't bad characters I just didn't nearly care for them as much as Max and Chloe, or hell even Chris from Captain Spirit (I kind of wish he had been the main character instead). Also didn't really care for the whole road trip idea, one of the main things I loved about the first was the central location of Arcadia Bay. The constant revolving door of locations for this one didn't feel nearly as great, same with the constant revolving door of characters.
I would argue that Captain Spirit was the better game.
I'll agree with ya, I enjoyed my time with Captain Spirit more.

Jul 24, 2018
It has all the tropes of a teenage coming of age story. Movies like The Edge of Seventeen and the first season of 13 Reasons Why have way more in common to the first Life is Strange than any superhero story. Chloe already died, however Max getting a mysterious time power around the same time allows her to save Chloe and go on a personal journey of growth. She gets to spend precious time with an old friend she's lost contact with and really get to know and understand her as well as her own Mom's relationship with her step dad she hates, her step dad, Kate, Victoria, Nathan, her teachers, etc...and learn and grow from the experiences. At the same time, Max and Chloe get to go on a journey to find Rachel, discover she's been murdered, and find out who the murderer is, expose him, and prevent other girls from suffering the same fate.

The growth Max ultimately achieves doesn't hinge on letting Chloe die, because she already died. The growth Max ultimately achieves is becoming an adult and instead of avoiding it; finally accepting it like Chloe has. Chloe has went through a tough time and made poor decisions which ultimately led to her death. it's no coincidence even after you save her, she continues to make poor decisions and die because unfortunately that's her fate. The selfish ending you can choose to allow her to live and destroy everybody in Arcadia bay should've at least hinted this fate.

If anything, the time power that you use to save Chloe isn't a curse but a blessing in disguise that you even get to go on this personal journey of growth. And you don't undo all the good things because you could've picked bad things as well and had negative outcomes, but to grow and learn from those experiences and have another chance at it without the ability to rewind time. The Max at the beginning when Chloe died is a selfish, immature girl, and the Max that allows Chloe to die at the end is a much different Max that's a selfless, mature woman that's accepted the harsh realities of the real world and is ready to grieve for her friend, move on and use her experiences to make better decisions.
Interesting points, I don't agree with you but I enjoyed what you had to say either way.

nickncs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of Bounds
I agree it was such a dissapointment for me as I absolutely love the original and BTS. They should have just made the storyline they have going in the comic as LiS2.

At the end of episode 3 I was so happy to see your character get what look like killed - that would have been such a ballsy twist and felt like the game was about to truly get started but they didn't follow through with it.

I gave so much trust to dontnod after LIS, Vampyr and what they helped with for BTS that I fully purchased LIS2 on Day 1. That trust has been seriously shattered after how boring, and lackluster the story in LiS2 was. Don't even get me started on the drawing mini game or should I say time waster where you tap your analogue stick.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it was such a dissapointment for me as I absolutely love the original and BTS. They should have just made the storyline they have going in the comic as LiS2.
I'm so glad they didn't do that. LiS 1 told a complete story. I read Volume 1 of the comic and thought it felt like bad fan fiction.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

This sure is a take.

Just going to ignore the part where you victim blame Chloe for getting killed in the beginning.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sure is a take.

Just going to ignore the part where you victim blame Chloe for getting killed in the beginning.
I wasn't victim blaming. Chloe's death unfortunately happened. Same with Rachel. Max at least got the opportunity to reconnect and have a deeper intimate relationship with her as they go on a journey of growth together before having to accept Chloe's fate.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Removing player choice and forcing you into decisions not consistent with choices you'd previously made was unforgivable.
Forcing me to go to the Christmas Market, or to look around their mothers old room, or to let the dog out alone we're all terrible.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 4 might have been the worst episode of the entire series for me. Pretty much watched Sean be tortured for an hour. It was heartbreaking as the racism is very real, but the writing was kinda boring, not interacting for long periods of time while this kid is treated like garbage time and time again. The cult was also boring and could've been explored far more, but felt like a bit of a rush to get the mother involved. The cult also opened up possibilities that unfortunately went nowhere.
The worst part for me was the end of Episode 4 where they were obviously going for this big emotional climax like Kate in the first game where Daniel is conflicted because he's feeling guilty and has been fed a lot of cult bullshit and Sean eventually wins Daniel over but the whole thing falls flat. For one, it's difficult to understand Daniel's perspective because that entire cult part is absurdly rushed. But second and most importantly, they created this black and white situation where Sean's getting the life beaten out of him and Daniel could easily stop it but he just lets it go on for-fucking-ever. I couldn't help but laugh at how bad that part was.

Episode 5 was admittedly very good and salvaged my overall opinion of the game but it's still only a 6/7 out of 10 game to me. Sucks because I loved Life is Strange and Before the Storm.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I think, more than most other games, i absolutely can not wrap my mind around people loving LiS2. After the first episode it was mostly annoying, and when it wasn't annoying it was boring. "Shut up Shawn! I hate you! You're not my real dad!". Daniel with his shitty bowl cut sitting there letting those church people torture his brother. Man that episode was bad.

Edit: just realized another choice that didnt matter. When you pick your hair cut, who cares because they shave his head for the next episode. They couldn't even let me keep my shitty train hopping traveler kid mohawk.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I'm with you on this one. The original LiS is probably in my top 5 games of all time. LiS 2 was an average game at best to me. One thing I think people miss is that Arcadia Bay itself was one of the best characters in the first game. The town felt real, it felt lived in, it was a joy to wander around in and take in the sights.

LiS 2 has nothing like that, being on the run makes you never get attached to anything. I don't care about the area I'm in or the characters I'm talking to because I know they'll be gone by the next episode.

This brings me to another point. I don't understand why some creators feel the need to change what they do in their follow up so drastically, especially after only one showing. The devs did interviews where they talked about how this was going to be the opposite of LiS 1 and it's going to be completely different. Why? People loved what you did in LiS 1. If you do a second and feel done with the formula so be it. But instead they made something received signficantly worse that sold way less (by available metrics) that probably means they won't get to do a LiS 3 now. Know your strengths.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Full disclosure, I only played the first episode and then watched the rest on YouTube, but I thought it was awful.
People responding to criticisms of Daniel's annoying behaviour by saying "well he's a kid going through a lot" are missing the point. Daniel's brattiness be justified but that doesn't make it any less annoying or a chore to play through.
DontNod obviously didn't understand the success of LiS or what people enjoyed about the world. They threw out everything, the world-building, mysteries, themes of friendship, character development, the time rewinding mechanic which was core to the gameplay loop. For what?
I think it was a huge misstep. If there's a third game in the series from DontNod I'll keep my hype checked.
Deck Nine, however did an amazing job recreating the atmosphere of the first game for Before The Storm, in my opinion.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
I love both. They're two totally different stories, and I appreciate that so much. If a third instalment happens, I couldn't be any more sold.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the various parts that went into the story, but on the whole the game fell short for me. Episode 4 in particular was not one I enjoyed playing through. For a lot of characters, as soon as they start to get interesting, they are soon removed because of the nature of the protags being constantly on the move.

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't finish 2, I binged 1 until I finished it because of the mystery aspect, always had to see what was going to come next
I guess I just prefer the school aesthetic as opposed to the runaway plot

That's a good point. The mystery aspect of the first game was excellent. I missed that kind of hook in LiS 2. The school setting was also much more appealing to me.

I thought it was amazing and a lot better than the first tbh.

Care to elaborate a bit on what you liked better?

I completely agree with everything you said. I fucking HATED Daniel, he was an insufferable fucking twerp. The game was terrible overall and I was SO stoked after the first episode. Trimmigrant episode was hilariously bad, I didn't think they could top it, but then the church cult episode happened. I got the ending where the brothers make it to mexico, and then somebody tries to rob them but the boys are like The Boondock Saints now or something? Idk, it was tonally like sometbing that had nothing to do with the game that preceeded it, fucking GARBAGE. It would be my biggest disappointment if Man of Medan hadn't came out. LiS2 is a 4/10, but Man of Medan is a 3/10.

Yuck, that sounds like a bad ending too!
Yeah, I'd probably give the season a 5/10. Which is crazy to think after how much I loved Season 1.

I really loved it and think it's unequivocally better than the first game. But I've never wanted to get into an argument about it, so I have never posted any opinions on it here.

No reason that having a different opinion would need to be an argument - just a discussion/debate.

Every time I see someone refer to cameos of previous characters as 'forced', it makes me think they feel that way because they simply just already know who said character is from previous games or media. It didn't feel contrived to me at all. Actually thought it was a really neat cameo, and kind of fitting depending on what you chose for Arcadia Bay in the first game.

Fair enough. But to me it's 'forced'/'contrived'...that when we're focusing on completely different characters (one of whom also happens to have a power like a character in the other game), we run into a pivotal character from that last game. It's like a one-in-a-billion chance that I just don't buy. Feels like a wink to the audience and pandering. That kind of thing always makes me roll my eyes.

I completely disagree, I personally think LiS2 was the best so far.

It doesn't need to be like LiS1 to be good.

No one says it needs to be like LiS 1 to be good. We just want it to actually be good, and touch on some of the same strengths. LiS 2 was such a step in the wrong direction and was executed horribly.

It wasn't just one racist douchebag, it was one each episode, and it wasn't nuanced or subtle and it never came from people you were "cool" with it was always from one or two comical over the top villain assholes. Not saying that those people don't exist, but the formula for each episode incorporating one of those kinds of "villains" was shit and a more nuanced approach to the subject would have been alot more interesting, especially if it was coming from some of the people you were hanging out with along the way.

I completely agree. The game had zero nuance. It was comical how much it hit you over the head with its themes. It doesn't help that the writing was so shaky.

Removing player choice and forcing you into decisions not consistent with choices you'd previously made was unforgivable.
Forcing me to go to the Christmas Market, or to look around their mothers old room, or to let the dog out alone we're all terrible.

Exactly. It was so annoying to force the player into outcomes after giving the illusion of choice.

The worst part for me was the end of Episode 4 where they were obviously going for this big emotional climax like Kate in the first game where Daniel is conflicted because he's feeling guilty and has been fed a lot of cult bullshit and Sean eventually wins Daniel over but the whole thing falls flat. For one, it's difficult to understand Daniel's perspective because that entire cult part is absurdly rushed. But second and most importantly, they created this black and white situation where Sean's getting the life beaten out of him and Daniel could easily stop it but he just lets it go on for-fucking-ever. I couldn't help but laugh at how bad that part was.

Yeah, Episode 4 was utter trash. I honestly don't understand how anyone could like it. The church cult stuff was some of the worst storytelling I have ever experienced.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I'd have to agree that LiS 2 didn't live up to my expectations (which I normally keep in check as a rule but it's hard not to get hyped about a sequel to one of my favorite games) but it's still a very solid game.

Some sporadic thoughts:

I didn't understand the systems underlying your choices and their effect on the ending until after I finished it. Which are actually pretty brilliant, but I wish they had found a way to make it more apparent in the game (perhaps with the dialogue?)

The dialogue and visuals definitely improved from the first game.

I didn't mind the road setting. It was cool to see the different locations and the different people. I do wish we got to see some of them again rather than letters. I always thought the ending they were going to go for would have you pick whether to go to Puerto Lobos or stay in the US and pick who to stay with that you met along the way. Sort of like Beyond Two Souls.

Daniel did get annoying at times, but I mean... He's a kid, so.

The soundtrack was FANTASTIC. Absolutely no complaints there.

I'll admit it didn't have the emotional highs and lows of the first (but I do have to make special mention of the ending of ep 3 for coming closest) but it did have some really good moments touching topics that don't get much limelight in video games

That being said, there were lots of high tension moments that were fun to play.

Lots of cool moments that only work in games.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I think the themes are exceptionally interesting. Putting you in the shoes if mexican immigrants is very interesting and is seldom represented. I think it is better than the first game because it deals with heavier stuff. Although I dislike the point and click gameplay hence why I struggled to stick with it, rather than the story.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I'm really surprised there aren't more opinions on this game!
This game suffers from the Ignored Indie Sequel Syndrome thast has afflicted soooo many games...

Indie successes like Banner Saga, Legend of Grimrock, Pillars of Eeternity all had incredible success, while the sequels were unexpected sales flop (while still being good games).

It's not always like this (Divinity origial Sin and Steamworld Dig sequel sold great), but many times people buy indie games based on the hype, forgot to finishe them, and then totally ingore the sequels.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the themes are exceptionally interesting. Putting you in the shoes if mexican immigrants is very interesting and is seldom represented. I think it is better than the first game because it deals with heavier stuff. Although I dislike the point and click gameplay hence why I struggled to stick with it, rather than the story.
You don't play as Mexican immigrants. You play as a American of Mexican descent who's the son of a Mexican immigrant. They've never been to Mexico and can barely speak Spanish which makes their road trip to Mexico interesting.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a lot. People say that Daniel is annoying, but that is what little brothers are. If you've ever had a younger sibling, especially a brother, this game will resonate with you.

And I appreciated how different it was from LiS. As great as that game is I didn't want a rehash.

Also I don't think people cared enough about the subject matter in LiS2 compared to 1. Sad to say. People also didn't get any waifus.

I beg your pardon. Cassidy is definitely my waifu :p

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
Some things that killed season two for me were that I felt:
  • The decisions were very simplistic in their impact and often didn't branch the story at all, only affecting the one binary value of whether Daniel was "good" or "not good," of which the decisions to make were painfully obvious: are you an asshole brother, or a good brother? The results from both are... exactly what you expect in regards to how they impact Daniel. And there's no challenge as to being a good brother, or hard decisions leading to you being an asshole. It's just one of two options; there's no reason to be a jerk beyond being a jerk.
  • The constantly changing environments means that characters can't stay around long enough to develop or grow or have arcs of any sort. Episode three was the best about having you part of a cast for the whole episode and get to know them more, and it was the highlight of the season for me for that reason. The rest of the season is all centered around Sean and Daniel, which you think would allow for deep exploration of their growth... but Daniel's growth ping-pongs back and forth to let him create the plot. Need him to sneak into the pot farm office for literally no reason to generate conflict? He just does it! Your teaching of him doesn't matter when the plot needs him to act a certain way, but then it just goes back to him being a jerk or a good kid depending on you being a jerk or a good brother. It's inconsistent for the needs of the plot.
  • This feels like it should have been its own game instead of a Life is Strange game if only because the powers have almost no thematic relevance to the game. You could make an argument for the powers being a metaphor for showing how Daniel has his own life/agency that Sean can't control, but I feel like that's undercut by his entire life literally being determined by you and how you raise him in the end (except for the brief moments where he needs to do whatever allows the plot to happen).
Season 1 is my second favorite game of all time, but I was super happy about the decision to end Max and Chloe's story there. I was excited to see this new direction, but I think the ideas that they went with for structuring the game led to a lot of problems, and then their execution wasn't up to snuff where it was needed.

I can imagine a different version of the game where the police think their father killed the officer and the neighbor, and Sean and Daniel stayed in the city instead of immediately going on the run, and I feel like that would have opened up more possibilities.
  • It would still allow them to show the systematic oppression and prejudice that they live with in the aftermath of their dad's murder, dealing with the police, the legal system, and their schools. They would be suddenly becoming outcasts in their own homes as the veneer of acceptance is cast aside as soon as any suspicion is thrown their way.
  • It would let them carry a consistent cast through while letting new people be introduced: their mom and grandparents could come as part of the investigation and figuring out who they are going to stay with, while Lyla and other classmates would stick around to bounce off of. The consistent environment also allows more longer-term impacts of decisions, since they would not be overwritten by you leaving to a new environment in the very next episode. ALSO, it would let there be more complicating factors in terms of Daniel's influences, since multiple people would be interacting with and influencing him on a long-term basis, and your decisions with those people could affect how they influence Daniel.
  • As the investigation suspects that it was maybe Sean or Daniel who killed the neighbor and the cop, it can maintain the tension of them being separated, while also giving even more weight to the efforts to hide Daniel's powers, since it might lead the police to figure out it was him, and anyone finding out (since they're staying in the same location) would be something to have to continuously deal with the repercussions of instead of being able to escape.
  • It can also heighten the tension of what home is, since it's a question of whether they try to continue in their old home that has had its community turn on them, whether they try to find a replacement with their grandparents or mother but still in a country that refuses to accept them, where they know they'll have that same doubt and suspicion thrown at them wherever they go, or try to chase their father's memory and the dream of acceptance in Mexico. From a player perspective, that also has more weight since you would get to see and develop relationships with the people at home since you would be spending time there, making the decision a bigger choice for players.
  • From a development perspective, this is also hugely cheaper than building new environments and models for every single episode, maybe meaning they could release episodes on a faster schedule, which could help with maintaining interest, and it would also give them more leeway for their price model. Maybe lower the price and potentially increase sales, or keep the price the same and get a higher net profit due to the lower overall costs.
There's obviously a lot of questions and gray area that goes into that idea, but it's something that's been bouncing around in my head, and I honestly think it would have worked out better.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finished episode 3 yesterday and it was almost unbearable. The relationship with Daniel seems to have turned from annoying to straight up hostile between episodes. The choices you made in the previous episode barely come into play, and the choices you make here barely matter. It's clear that no matter what, the attempted robbery of Merril will happen and Daniel will go apeshit...I can't even begin to imagine how hamfisted things will have to get to make these events happen regardless of your refusal to go along with the plan or telling Daniel to never use his powers.

This is the episode that makes it clear how much the ever changing people and places actively hurts the game. It consisted mostly of a lot of (awkwardly) long walking from cutscene to cutscene, and talking to people you've (the player, that is) only just met. There is not nearly enough time to care about any of these newly introduced characters, and why even would you when the game has made it clear that they're just this episodes decorations to be discarded the next episode? Just as, outside of a passing mention, the previous two episodes were discarded.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also remember reading praise about how Episode 3 handled sex - I dunno, I expected much more.
Isnt that the episode that has the lovingly crafted straight sex scene and then an incredibly half assed and shitty gay kiss, lol?

I was interested in the season up until i heard about that and Im not even gonna give it the time of day now

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
  • The decisions were very simplistic in their impact and often didn't branch the story at all, only affecting the one binary value of whether Daniel was "good" or "not good," of which the decisions to make were painfully obvious: are you an asshole brother, or a good brother? The results from both are... exactly what you expect in regards to how they impact Daniel. And there's no challenge as to being a good brother, or hard decisions leading to you being an asshole. It's just one of two options; there's no reason to be a jerk beyond being a jerk.
  • The constantly changing environments means that characters can't stay around long enough to develop or grow or have arcs of any sort. Episode three was the best about having you part of a cast for the whole episode and get to know them more, and it was the highlight of the season for me for that reason. The rest of the season is all centered around Sean and Daniel, which you think would allow for deep exploration of their growth... but Daniel's growth ping-pongs back and forth to let him create the plot. Need him to sneak into the pot farm office for literally no reason to generate conflict? He just does it! Your teaching of him doesn't matter when the plot needs him to act a certain way, but then it just goes back to him being a jerk or a good kid depending on you being a jerk or a good brother. It's inconsistent for the needs of the plot.

I liked LiS 2 overall (although a lot less than the first one and Before the Storm), but I absolutely agree with these two points. Episode 3 was also my favorite because I think Life is Strange is at its best when there's a lot of interaction with people, and ep. 3 was all about that. Sadly, this aspect was completely missing in the other episodes.

Also, LiS turned 5 (!) last week. Happy birthday Life is Strange!

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved it. I thought it was great. The brother dynamic was really good and I like that your relationship along the game impacted your ending. It actually meant something. It wasn't just a binary decision at the end that everybody gets. My ending was really good and felt like it all felt very true to who they were and what I would doi that situation.

It sounds a bit like OP didn't connect and add a result didn't take care of Daniel, which caused his dialogue to be worse. Then gave him a bad ending which further added to the lack of enjoyment.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I think it's good. They obviously wanted a different feel for the game with new issues, characters, and settings. Sure, I miss Max and Chloe just as much as the next person, but I really like the socioeconomic themes they touched on with Sean and Daniel and their struggle as Mexican-Americans.

I can respect Dontnod's willingness to try something new and offer a different perspective. I don't think Sean and Daniel are as likable as Max and Chloe, but they're still cool in their own way.

Cysidus

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played LiS 1 or BtS so I can't compare, but LiS 2 is great. I didn't care much about side characters, but I liked the relationship between Sean and Daniel, and I think it has an incredibly touching story. The talk inside their car at the end of the game made me tear up, especially if you choose the Redemption ending.

Daniel can be annoying at times, but not enough to make me dislike him. I actually enjoyed his character development. He starts off by being a typical selfish, but generally an okay kid. Then after he had enough of Sean's fun police, plus jealousy, he rebels against Sean in episode 3.

Sean's beatdown at the end of episode 4 is necessary for Daniel to realize that his action hurts Sean, but despite of that Sean never stops believing in Daniel. Once Daniel sees that his attitude changes drastically in episode 5.
  • Daniel is more comfortable in showing affection to Sean. He hugs Sean when they sleep. He says "I love you" back. In previous episodes, he replies with "I do too/me too", which sounds less sincere. You can tell that before this episode Daniel doesn't love Sean as much as Sean does with him.
  • Daniel is more considerate to Sean's feelings, and is actively helping him. He worries about Sean's eye. He offers to help packing without being asked. Sean usually have to ask Daniel for help, like the water jugs in episode 3.
  • Daniel is more involved in Sean's hobby. He asks Sean to draw him in his sketches. He made an elaborate treasure hunt game for Sean, and rewards him with a gold star. This is the only souvenir in the game given directly from Daniel.
That's why episode 5 is my favorite. But these scenes are too short, there's not enough breathing room before the ending setup. So it may feel like Daniel is being annoying for the entire game. If he's a perfect little brother all the time, maybe many of you will like it better, but it won't be as impactful.

OP's ending, Parting Ways, is not my preferred ending, but I think it's pretty okay. For the first time in the game, Daniel is showing some responsibility and sacrifices himself for his brother's happiness. I prefer Redemption since I trust Sean will eventually re-integrate into society and his brother's life after some time.

It's kind of a bummer that there's no happy ending, but they made me think, and that will stay with me for awhile.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played LiS 1 or BtS so I can't compare, but LiS 2 is great. I didn't care much about side characters, but I liked the relationship between Sean and Daniel, and I think it has an incredibly touching story. The talk inside their car at the end of the game made me tear up, especially if you choose the Redemption ending.

Daniel can be annoying at times, but not enough to make me dislike him. I actually enjoyed his character development. He starts off by being a typical selfish, but generally an okay kid. Then after he had enough of Sean's fun police, plus jealousy, he rebels against Sean in episode 3.

Sean's beatdown at the end of episode 4 is necessary for Daniel to realize that his action hurts Sean, but despite of that Sean never stops believing in Daniel. Once Daniel sees that his attitude changes drastically in episode 5.
  • Daniel is more comfortable in showing affection to Sean. He hugs Sean when they sleep. He says "I love you" back. In previous episodes, he replies with "I do too/me too", which sounds less sincere. You can tell that before this episode Daniel doesn't love Sean as much as Sean does with him.
  • Daniel is more considerate to Sean's feelings, and is actively helping him. He worries about Sean's eye. He offers to help packing without being asked. Sean usually have to ask Daniel for help, like the water jugs in episode 3.
  • Daniel is more involved in Sean's hobby. He asks Sean to draw him in his sketches. He made an elaborate treasure hunt game for Sean, and rewards him with a gold star. This is the only souvenir in the game given directly from Daniel.
That's why episode 5 is my favorite. But these scenes are too short, there's not enough breathing room before the ending setup. So it may feel like Daniel is being annoying for the entire game. If he's a perfect little brother all the time, maybe many of you will like it better, but it won't be as impactful.

OP's ending, Parting Ways, is not my preferred ending, but I think it's pretty okay. For the first time in the game, Daniel is showing some responsibility and sacrifices himself for his brother's happiness. I prefer Redemption since I trust Sean will eventually re-integrate into society and his brother's life after some time.

It's kind of a bummer that there's no happy ending, but they made me think, and that will stay with me for awhile.
Some good observations about how Daniel acts in Ep. 5, it just sucks that a lot of developments happen between episodes. I'm of the opinion is that Parting Ways is the best ending overall, Redemption is too cruel to be the best.

DONTNOD or at least the LiS creative team fall into the fallacy that there can't be true good endings when dealing with serious themes. At least LiS2 didn't straight up do latinx and PoC players that strongly relate to the characters and story dirty, as opposed to us sapphics. šŸ˜’

Last edited:
OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some things that killed season two for me were that I felt:
  • This feels like it should have been its own game instead of a Life is Strange game if only because the powers have almost no thematic relevance to the game. You could make an argument for the powers being a metaphor for showing how Daniel has his own life/agency that Sean can't control, but I feel like that's undercut by his entire life literally being determined by you and how you raise him in the end (except for the brief moments where he needs to do whatever allows the plot to happen).
Season 1 is my second favorite game of all time, but I was super happy about the decision to end Max and Chloe's story there. I was excited to see this new direction, but I think the ideas that they went with for structuring the game led to a lot of problems, and then their execution wasn't up to snuff where it was needed.

I can imagine a different version of the game where the police think their father killed the officer and the neighbor, and Sean and Daniel stayed in the city instead of immediately going on the run, and I feel like that would have opened up more possibilities.
  • It would still allow them to show the systematic oppression and prejudice that they live with in the aftermath of their dad's murder, dealing with the police, the legal system, and their schools. They would be suddenly becoming outcasts in their own homes as the veneer of acceptance is cast aside as soon as any suspicion is thrown their way.
  • It would let them carry a consistent cast through while letting new people be introduced: their mom and grandparents could come as part of the investigation and figuring out who they are going to stay with, while Lyla and other classmates would stick around to bounce off of. The consistent environment also allows more longer-term impacts of decisions, since they would not be overwritten by you leaving to a new environment in the very next episode. ALSO, it would let there be more complicating factors in terms of Daniel's influences, since multiple people would be interacting with and influencing him on a long-term basis, and your decisions with those people could affect how they influence Daniel.
  • As the investigation suspects that it was maybe Sean or Daniel who killed the neighbor and the cop, it can maintain the tension of them being separated, while also giving even more weight to the efforts to hide Daniel's powers, since it might lead the police to figure out it was him, and anyone finding out (since they're staying in the same location) would be something to have to continuously deal with the repercussions of instead of being able to escape.
  • It can also heighten the tension of what home is, since it's a question of whether they try to continue in their old home that has had its community turn on them, whether they try to find a replacement with their grandparents or mother but still in a country that refuses to accept them, where they know they'll have that same doubt and suspicion thrown at them wherever they go, or try to chase their father's memory and the dream of acceptance in Mexico. From a player perspective, that also has more weight since you would get to see and develop relationships with the people at home since you would be spending time there, making the decision a bigger choice for players.
  • From a development perspective, this is also hugely cheaper than building new environments and models for every single episode, maybe meaning they could release episodes on a faster schedule, which could help with maintaining interest, and it would also give them more leeway for their price model. Maybe lower the price and potentially increase sales, or keep the price the same and get a higher net profit due to the lower overall costs.
There's obviously a lot of questions and gray area that goes into that idea, but it's something that's been bouncing around in my head, and I honestly think it would have worked out better.

Fantastic post! Thank-you for making it! I completely agree. I would have loved playing your version of Life is Strange 2. I loved Episode 1's world building and development of Sean's social world. Continuing in Seattle after the tragedy would have been much better.

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
I've still to play this as I loved the first one but I've been seeing these comments that has me hesitant to get it yet. That, and I was holding out for the physical copy but Square Enix done the dirty by not putting the whole game on disc so I'm not sure if I will buy it yet.