• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is up on Twitter and Reddit right now and I saw it myself on the PSN store. Your options are to buy Episode 1 individually, the full season pass, or the Episode 2-5 bundle. Lots of people just found out the hard way. It's like this on Steam too, the episode 2 page says you need to buy "the base game"

So basically there's lots of people who only bought the first episode to save money at the time and try out the story, that are now forced to spend $33 if they want to experience episode 2. I mean there's a chance they max solve this, but Dontnod has yet to say anything.

Between the 4-month release window since episode 1, launching episode 2 a day before RE2 and KH3 and now this, man they really don't want to make sales huh?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
That seems fair considering the nature of the game. Doing otherwise would be like only wanting to buy the Toy Story world in KH3 and nothing else.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seconds before seeing this thread I purchased 2-5 bundle on PSN. Wasn't planning on that but I liked 1 a lot. Found the page for 2 but couldn't buy it. Weird situation,but I guess this works out.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So basically there's lots of people who only bought the first episode to save money at the time and try out the story, that are now forced to spend $33 if they want to experience episode 2. I mean there's a chance they max solve this, but Dontnod has yet to say anything.

Max could solve this. By rewinding back to before they made the decision to do such a thing.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That seems fair. If you enjoyed the first episode, you buy the 2-5 pack. If you trust the company to provide quality entertainment, buy the whole Season Pass. It's likely that the first episode will be free eventually.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Seems the norm to me for most episodic adventure games. They did select a really poor choice for a release date, though, should have been released 1-2 weeks ago.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to buy all episodes individually as they became available on PSN, but now I'll just wait the 90 days and play it as part of my Game Pass subscription.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you say this?
I can't speak on his reasoning, but I personally agree. The past few months have been dry for me, then all of the sudden I've got Life is Strange 2, Resident Evil 2, and the Anthem Beta all at once. Wish all that wasn't crammed into just this one particular weekend. Still totally playing this tonight (been looking forward to finally getting E2), but there just ain't no breathing room, it feels like.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
How many people are there that's gonna come in, buy ONLY LiS2 Ep 2, and bounce out? I'm sure there are a couple odd people out there like that, but I can't fathom there being a lot.

What about people with limited money who may want to spread the payment of each episode out throughout the season?

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
That's strange. They can probably sell individual episodes for a higher total price than the season pass, right? I mean, I'll probably just buy it as a package when is really cheap just as I did with the previous two games, since my backlog basically makes any new game purchase a crime against my wallet, but I always saw this episodic model as a way to get more money from people who are constantly broke, yet still need to play everything right as it releases.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak on his reasoning, but I personally agree. The past few months have been dry for me, then all of the sudden I've got Life is Strange 2, Resident Evil 2, and the Anthem Beta all at once. Wish all that wasn't crammed into just this one particular weekend. Still totally playing this tonight (been looking forward to finally getting E2), but there just ain't no breathing room, it feels like.
True, that is weird.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Why make an episodic game if you won't let people buy, you know, episodes?
Because it's very clear that it's not a "episodic" game anymore, but rather a, for lack of a better term, staggered release game. You pay for it like any other game these days: either pre-ordering all the content upfront, or wait for it to be fully released. They'll likely treat the first episode like they did with the first ep of LiS1 as a glorified demo to the rest of the game by releasing it for free, if they haven't done so already.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Because it's very clear that it's not a "episodic" game anymore, but rather a, for lack of a better term, staggered release game. You pay for it like any other game these days: either pre-ordering all the content upfront, or wait for it to be fully released. They'll likely treat the first episode like they did with the first ep of LiS1 as a glorified demo to the rest of the game by releasing it for free, if they haven't done so already.

Why is this not considered an episodic game anymore? Haven't kept up with LiS2 news at all. Seems interesting

OP
OP
TheIdiot

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's very clear that it's not a "episodic" game anymore

tenor.gif

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, and I didn't drive to work in my car this morning; Instead I came in my locomotion apparatus.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what if you bought the first episode on the PS4 but decided to buy the second on the XBOX? (Or vice versa)

Seems like an odd restriction, and for no good reason.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that they even have a seperate solo listing for it on Xbox.. that you can't buy.

Not that it matters to me, I already went all in.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this how they've always done it? I don't remember them selling individual episodes of Life is Strange or Before the Storm besides the first one.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say this seems weird, but I guess it makes sense in terms of player choices. To offer episode 2 as a standalone title, they'd have to do some extra work. That'd be either restricting the purchase of episode 2 to owners of episode 1, or building in some kind of summary/choice mechanic for people who bought 2 and skipped one. For the first scenario, you'd probably need to build restrictions all the way out to episode 5.

Both of those options seem kind of messy and silly, so I can't say I'm too offended here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Lame. I don't have the money to buy the rest for a while. I bought the first episode thinking they would release them individually each time. I regret buying episode 1 now.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is fine, if you liked/loved the first game why wouldn't you buy all the rest of the episodes? It's cheaper than most new releases and it's a proven developer, that if you're a fan of you should have trust in to deliver quality content.

This place can be really hypocritical about supporting small developers.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think I recall Kings Quest doing this too perhaps? It makes sense to me personally. Presumably 2-5 would come at a discount over buying all of the episodes individually at the price of the first one.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is going on over there at SE and Dontnod? Feels like everything with LiS2 has just been one bad move after another

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's some bullshit. I can't afford to spend $30 the day before RE2 comes out.

Guess I'll wait for Game Pass

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I remember when The Walkind Dead final season forced this upon us.

I shall wait until it is all released then.

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018
I guess if you have a real need to just pay and play for episode 2 or episode 4 (why I don't know) you could always play it on Game Pass. Use that $1 deal just before it goes away. Every episode will arrive on Game Pass a few months after each episode is released.