• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that one of the main characters was a little kid. Thinking how annoying it would be to have to travel around with a child in a video game. All interest in LiS 2 immediately lost. The end.

I was disappointed as I really enjoyed the first game.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The franchise isn't about high school.

But,AGAIN,they wanted to talk about different themes and different people.

Yes, I know

It's about the mundane crossing over with the supernatural, and there was more to tell with the game's original setting. The aforementioned struggle of being a minority in a mostly white school, your future career path's, struggle at home, etc. Things the original game didn't cover.

It was commendable to switch directions entirely, but it ultimately backfired.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started part 2 today, and I'm not enjoying it thus far because of the annoying kid.

Setting and characters aren't interesting as well, but really, fuck that kid.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
[
Yes, I know

It's about the mundane crossing over with the supernatural, and there was more to tell with the game's original setting. The aforementioned struggle of being a minority in a mostly white school, your future career path's, struggle at home, etc. Things the original game didn't cover.

Backfired how? In terms of quality? I don't think so. And in terms of sales I really don't think that the game not being set in a city is really that big of a dealbreaker. There was way more outrage about the choice of two brothers instead of a retread from what we had in LiS 1 and BtS.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

but again if you stay in High School you will have the same kind of characters.
The writers wanted to tell a different story about totally different characters in a different setting than the High School one.
it totally makes sense.
And it's fine.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I know

I didn't even really think of all this. Would have made for a more compelling game rather than another road trip game with guys. have they done any interesting thing with the powers yet?

Also fuck Chloe Price.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I never play episodic games until the full version is out. The premise also seems less interesting to me and I haven't heard much good about what's released so far, so I probably won't bother with it. It's unfortunate since I liked the first game a lot.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I instantly connected to the main character in the first game and what I've heard and seen about the second one doesn't speak to me as much. Given that's the case and the gameplay wasn't something to write home about anyway I have no reason to care.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Was never really interested in the first season tbh. But it supposedly had more draws for the crowd it was courting.

But important subjects for society wasnt neccisarily that regarding the audience.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  • Male protagonists.
  • Your annoying little brother is the one with powers this time around; not only removing control from the player, but also removing one of Life is Strange's key mechanics that made it unique in the genre.
  • The power itself is far less interesting than time travel - especially how that developed as the original LiS story progressed.
  • It's a "road movie" about brothers on the run from the cops, rather than a small-town high school mystery influenced by beloved shows like Twin Peaks and Veronica Mars.
  • The game is heavily centered on criticizing the current US political climate and racial issues. I applaud them for trying to do so, but it's done in a very ham-handed manner, and likely alienated a lot of the audience. It's a big tonal shift, and one that many will find abrasive. To be reductive, Trump-fueled racism, police brutality, and gun control are all-too present and bad enough in real life that people aren't looking to play a game where that is one of its core themes.
  • The free Captain Spirit episode having a similar tonal shift, focusing on child abuse, did not exactly set it up to succeed. It's not that the games shouldn't try to tell powerful stories, but that's not what the audience they garnered with the first two games was there for.
  • The release schedule is really bad.
I can only speak to my own opinions but,

That "lonely trek in the woods" thing they did in the first episode really turned me off, as it is pretty much the exact opposite of what I want out of the next Life is Strange. In fact, the game does a really good job of setting up a very interesting situation and completely rips it away from you. And I realize that is completely 100% of the point of what they were going for, but I didn't care for the end result. I don't want another fucking Walking Dead.

I want a town filled with colorful characters to interact with, just like in the first season. The first episode of season 2 was the exact opposite of that, and it really turned me off. I really have no idea what the other episodes are like, though, as I haven't even touched them.
I agree completely. I think I did finish the first episode and start some of the second, but I lost interest in the game pretty early on. I'll probably give it another try once the final episode is out, but I didn't find it compelling at all.

This is a really shitty way to be reductive about a pair of games that have complex, strong, well-written female characters at its center, along with a large cast of other interesting characters.
It says more about you if that's all you see them as, or if you think that's the reason the games are popular.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to list a bunch of reasons but I can just summarise by simply saying, it's just nowhere near as good in any way other than visuals.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer didn't do much for me and I've heard no positive word of mouth about the game like I did with the first one. But I'll probably pick up the physical version sometime cause I do want to try it out eventually.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
well i havent played it yet cause im waiting for all episodes to come out. and its taking a looong time

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't speak in general. But personally, i'm waiting on all episodes to be released (which seems to be taking a lot longer than they did for the first game) and a sale.

The first game had a lot of hype surrounding it which got me interested. but playing it was a mixed bag. The rewind system felt too forgiving. The reason I like games like this is because of the consequences of actions and living with them. Life is strange didn't have that. I also didn't like how it forced you to care for a character I hated (Chloe) and affectively centred the entire plot around her. It made what some considered to be a difficult and impactful final choice super disappointing and hilariously easy for me.

...And so I'm honestly a little aprehensive about a sequel. I want to play it at some point. But I'm just not in any huge rush to do so.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i'll still play it when all the episodes come up.

but the roadtrip aspect is so wholly unappealing. the school setting is what hooked me in the first game, and interacting with the same characters in each episode is kept me playing.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was hyped for it at first, but I've been waiting for the full release and after this shockingly long wait for the whole thing, I don't know when I'm gonna get to it anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
1 had an interesting story characters and setting.
2 didn't and was something I felt like i'd seen a million times before.
1 is one of my favorite games of all time, I noped out of 2 after 1 episode and you'd have to pay me to finish.
1 hooked me so dang quickly

Weirdly as a 25 year old(at the time) straight male I connected so much with Max that I even think i'd be like that if I had been a teen-age girl, probably.
(was already artsy and into photography in highschool, had a few friends like chloe even just not to that level)
The setting felt like a legitimate character even
game just did a good job making you feel like you wanted to use the powers to help people and fix stuff
and does a good job making you feel like you did afterwards
file

But both endings are absolute trash and nearly ruin the entire game.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The releases are so slow. I'm waiting for the full season to come out to get it, I don't like waiting months between episodes.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the first episode more than I thought I would, but the long-ass wait between episodes has really killed the hype to the point I'm just waiting for episode 5 before marathoning the rest. It's also a very big tonal departure from the first game, and in a narrative-driven game like this, having such a different cast and story means inevitably losing people who were interested in the previous entry. Almost think it would've been better received under a different name, especially given how attached people were to the cast and setting of the first game.

I also think Captain Spirit was a mistake as it's kind of slow and dull until the last like, ten minutes, and does a poor job at making you interested in the rest of the game.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
When it takes over a year after the release of episode 1 for the ending to come out is it any wonder people can't be bothered with the wait?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, they garnered a pretty specific group of people regarding the lesbian relationship of their two lead characters and made a follow up about two brothers.

Sooooooooo

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
Price, new cast (which is fine I'd prefer them not continue from the almost perfect story of the first one), and waiting for it to be done. I didn't play Life Is Strange 1 until it was finished and I'm glad I waited. When I can get the entire season 2 for like $15 I'll pick it up.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the writing and voice acting is a lot stronger in season 2. I think it's missing a narrative hook (first game was essentially a murder mystery), but I love the road trip feel of the early episodes.

The first season also got a huge boost from Tumblr. The second season focuses less on the main characters queerness, it obviously wasn't a central theme the creators wanted to carry through every season, but it was for fans

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Its a mix of characters, story and setting.

Also a release schedule like this is terrible. By the time a new episode comes out, you forgot what happened in the previous one.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved the first LiS and hasn't picked this new one up yet (I will when it is all done so I can play in a week).

I kind of went into blackout mode almost as soon as the game was announced so I know very little about it. So, with that said, if I'm totally wrong on this assumption, please correct me and let me know. One of the things I loved about the first game, other than the Max/Chloe dynamic (not waifu stuff as people say), but the interaction with those characters in the town and with one another. Someone told me (again, I don't know) that this is more of a road trip game.

Life is Strange married those two concepts of an intense personal relationship with the backdrop of a detailed and varied township (cough cough no spoilers). If this new season is missing both of those, I can see it being impacted by fans of the game. Also, I don't think Captain Spirit did them any favors. I don't think a change in setting or characters is the issue; or at least I hope not because anthology stories are just as valid as direct sequels and it sucks that video games are stuck in the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
I still think its funny I only gave 1 a shot because it was suggested to me after finishing Until Dawn and I asked for anything remotely like it...
Glad I did

then I asked for something like Life is Strange and got 1 decent season of 13 Reasons Why...

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What I liked about the first game is getting to know the people of the town and seeing them change over the course of the game.
You definitely don't get that feeling in 2.
Also price bump.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting till the whole game is out before I start playing. Haven't even played Captain Awesome yet. Can't comment on anything else till then.

It will definitely be hard for it to get on the same level for me as the first one did. Loved Max and Chloe, the time travel gameplay, and the whole story.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
There's no Life Is Strange without Max and Chloe, sorry.
This. The whole "it's an anthology series" thing falls flat for me. Not a good decision, then! Because lots of people associate the series with max and Chloe and their story / mystery regarding her powers.

If it has no real connection with the setting/characters of the first game, why make it a sequel to life is strange vs an original title?