• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How has the Coronavirus affected your daily life, be it social, your work, habits? Do you still go outside or are you waiting for a vaccine/herd immunity/cases to go to 0 before risking it?

This thread was spurred by a recent event. I have this friend who I have known for a long time but I haven't seen in years, but we still keep in touch via socmed. Earlier this year was supposed to be his wedding and I was gonna attend as we were close back then. Then the coronavirus came.

I thought he was gonna postpone his wedding, but out of the blue he texted me and told me his wedding will push through this month. I told him I cannot risk it, so I wished him well and asked how I could send my gift. He just replied that it sucks I couldn't come, that's it. I think he's mad.

Am I bad if I did not want to risk it, even for his wedding?

PS: I used the search thread function and the only one I found was how it affected people where the corona hit worst, and since that was back in March and the whole world has changed, I figured I'd make this as a general thread if people want to ask about stuff but don't feel like creating a whole new thread about it, but feel free to close this if you think we have had too many of this kind of thread.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Life has stayed pretty much the same for me, but I am a homebody.

For what it is worth, you should not go to a wedding right now.

medli

Oct 28, 2017
Am I bad if I did not want to risk it, even for his wedding?

No, who has a wedding if it means putting all of their supposed friends and family that they're expecting to come in danger? Just selfish and stupid. You can still get married, just do the celebration later. Not your fault.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
introvert here, my life is practically identical to the way it was before

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Struggling to find some purpose, that's for sure. Can't really speak for the situation involving the friend/wedding. It sucks to have such a pivotal event in your life be sidetracked but the pandemic isn't worth the risk. They should have just postponed till early or mid next year but I guess money etc. is tied up so they can't?

Shouldn't feel bad though, OP. I'd reach out again and see what's up but that's me.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
More or less the same. Just even more lonely since I can't see family.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I spend more time working. When I'm in an office it's easy to stop myself and go home when everyone else does, but often I find myself working long ass hours at home. I was able to stop this to a certain extent by leaving a job where there was a seemingly endless amount of shit to do because the company was run by inexperienced people who would constantly bite off more than they can chew, but I'm still guilty of doing this at my new job. The flip side to this is no commute though.

Before quarantine I was actively questioning my gender by going to a friend's house who would help me with stuff like that. I've broken down a few times and snuck out to her house and hung out with her because I needed to feel female, but for the most part this has kinda stopped.

Before the virus my extended family would have regular get-togethers, the only one we had was on 4th of July, which they said was going to be properly socially distanced and outside but that didn't actually end up happening (I mean it was outside, but not really properly distanced). Not having another one, at least until maybe Christmas which is.....scary.

I was on break from dating someone for a month or two before quarantine (and before that we had only dated for a month or two), on the day before quarantine started we were going to resume, but then they ended up having to cancel due to mental health problems. We've been messaging back and fourth once every several days or so, just catching up with each other and "talking". We haven't seen each other in many months now.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm extremely glad & lucky that I have a job that was work from home even before covid. I'm immunocompromised so I have no idea what I'd do if I had a job that wanted me to go into the office. I'd be a lot more stressed every day that's for sure.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to get into a new routine as so much of it revolved around going to the gym. I also miss traveling and going hiking. Being stuck home most of the time has really affected my mental health. I cant wait for all of this shit to be over.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Friends and I still do our weekly hangout outside, but it's getting harder as it gets colder. Then again we're Canadian, we'll manage lol

It's been honestly really tough on me mentally. Like, I thought I was still the same antisocial guy from when I was a teenager but...turns out I really love my friends.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
I got laid off from my dream job
My dream partner of 4 years broke up with me last week

I have now resorted to go back to my old retail job from 10 years ago to get out of my house and head since my industry doesn't exist anymore.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped going to restaurants, parks and anything outside. I'm an introvert, but enjoyed taking long walks in downtown and a big park that is connected through a riverwalk. It's tough, but being unemployed and living with my parents has changed a lot of habits, like not wasting money and making sure we don't relax any safety measure.

I really wish I could go to a bar and watch a live band again, but even if there's a vaccine, treatment or whatever, I don't think I'll ever feel safe in a crowd again, endangering my life and others for some enjoyment/entertainment is not worth it.

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
At the start of the year I was starting to put myself out there again and go on more dates and stuff, thinking I was ready for a real relationship again and now I just sit in my apartment all day :)

I refuse to take risks right now because I want to maintain a social bubble with my parents and grandparents and theres no way I'm ever putting them at risk.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel a bit guilty saying it but life is better than ever for me. Not having to commute 2 hours a day is a major QoL improvement, and a nice bit of savings to boot, and working from home in general is just a lot more enjoyable and thankfully my work so far hasn't been jeopardized or impacted at all by it. First couple months were shaky, getting into a good routine and motivating myself took some time, but once I did things really starting going great.

I'm eating healthier than ever, have more time to exercise and go on walks with the dog every day without feeling like I'm pressed for time. Just a lot less stress and anxiety overall. For once living in the burbs is working out pretty well. Plenty of space to not be on top of other people like in the city, but still populated enough that I have access to major services and amenities I wouldn't have as much living in the sticks again.

Socially it's not been an issue since I never cared to go out and socialize with others before and so the lack of in person interactions hasn't bothered me at all. I'm quite happy and content.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I just started going out more often than before - but of course safely and not to giant crowds. I spent the majority of the past few months alone in my dingy apartment although I'm an extrovert because I wanted to get it over with, but this is not ending anytime soon. I can't just stay inside for another 6 months - my mental health has been shot. There needs to be some level of opening of valves for the average person.

But yeah a wedding is a bad call at the moment IMO. Luckily all my friends have delayed theirs to next year.

OP
OP
Oliver James

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, who has a wedding if it means putting all of their supposed friends and family that they're expecting to come in danger? Just selfish and stupid. You can still get married, just do the celebration later. Not your fault.
I think he thinks he has an extra shield because he's now a full-blown Bible-thumper